Home General Discussion

GEARS OF WAR - PC ...With Unreal Ed :D

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
Didn't see any posting which is odd, but Gears of War PC dropped the retail bomb today. Peoples picking it up so they can begin some content creation? I got mine and am ready to get to making something. Figured there'd maybe be a bit more attention paid to this.

Replies

• James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap! I was so busy I forgot about this! Thanks for the reminder TF.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I've preordered from Game, it's not out in the UK for another couple of days though.
    I saw a pretty cool "intro to the editor" vid (will see if I can dig up the link), basically it seems that the level design workflow is to make a few giant blocks for where you want buildings and rooms, and then just smother them in static meshes smile.gif
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only one thing that's kinda bummin' me...the URL for the Gears mod page on UDN, which is even printed in the back of the manual requests password authentication when going to it via UDN links and if you type it in directly it says 404. :/ I guess somebody forgot to switch it on.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Will the PC version allow you to connect to MS Live? Hell, did anyone check to see if Halo 2 did indeed impliment that?
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it hooks into the Windows LIVE business. They give you one month of Windows LIVE Gold in the box when you buy the game.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh another note, when you install be sure to click on the more options button. That's where you'll be able to select installing the Editor. If you don't, it just installs only the game.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sweet! not sure if I should buy this or COD4 cause my ut3 collectors edition is already pre-ordered
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    sweet! not sure if I should buy this or COD4 cause my ut3 collectors edition is already pre-ordered

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking the same thing myself but it would be nice to use the GOW levels for additional reference when getting up to speed with the editor.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I want all of it
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I think you should definetly buy both... cough... smile.gif

r.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Just pre-ordered GOW now. It's not out here yet though (UK). Got it from Game - £19.99 after a fiver off with earned 'reward points'. Bargain.

Can't wait to get properly stuck into UnrealEd.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any official kinda word you guys over at Epic can give about when the Gears Mod area on UDN will be opened up? Even from within the editor it takes you to the UDN section for Gears Mods but insists on Username/Password authentication to even see the section. :/ I've been tooling with it for the past hour and it's really nice.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the Live service isn't free for PC (like it was rumored before)? Just curious.. I can't research this at work frown.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i sent a mail out asking about the UDN frog.
    I'll let you know what i find out.

r.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    notman - xbox live gold isnt free on PC but you can still play multiplayer with a silver.

cant wait to see people's work in UE3 laugh.gif
  • Scott_W
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To all the Epic artists on the forum:

You guys kick so much ass it's not even funny.

Even a year later after I first saw the game in action on the 360 in our conference room, the art in the game still makes me grin like a moron.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    if you don't have gow already get it, but cod4 is fucking amazing too.

is there an option to JUST install the editor?
  • Scott_W
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I totally snagged the game during lunch today! The first time I went to fire it up I was sort of stuck between actually playing the game or choosing to fire up the editor to run free and explore blush.gif

I didn't look at the install too closely, but I don't believe there's a way to install the editor by itself. I'm probably completely wrong, however.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    got my GOW for pc today also. Runs great on the new 8800GT that I bought for UT3 laugh.gif. I'm running 169.02_forceware and no problems at all.

Already started BSP'ing my first map laugh.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The issues with the MOD section of UDN is having some security issues, its all there but theres a couple of straggling bugs that are being sorted still.

So it should be up soon, it IS known about.

r.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for looking into that...much appreciated.

How different if at all is the Editor that came with Gears PC from the one that'll be with UT 2007? Haven't really seen any clear info on that subject.
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    i picked it up at circuit city for $39.99 on sale yesterday,
    it comes with gold account 1 month free,
    i could care less silver is free and fine with me,
    im mainly just going to mod in this game anyways,
    anyone else besides me imported any models in the game yet,
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was considering modding it also (main reason I asked about the Live account). What is the max allowed for MP? The only times I've played GoW online with my 360, has been with my brother. Would it support 16 players(or more)? I seem to recall that the netcode can't support that much.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    The gameplay can't support that much, gears is a 4v4 game.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I thought frown.gif
    There aren't too many good games anymore that support large player count :/
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    UT3 supports a few more I think smile.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Frog, the two editors are pretty similar, and from the surface are identical. Materials, Mapping, Kismet, Animation systems, ect will not be drastically different between the two editors. As you dig into it though, you'll find Gears specific Kismet sequences vs UT specific ones, etc. Material functionality between the two is the same, and im pretty sure the animation stuff is too. In short, anything you learn in the Gears editor will apply to UT3, just w/o cover nodes in levels smile.gif

The biggest thing would be that they aren't exactly compatible with one another with map saves, and packages.

If you're purely importing meshes and texturing them, the process will be the same between the two. However, you will need to recreate the work if you accidentally make it in the Gears UEd, and need it in UT3's.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Moose: Does the UE3 editor still have the t3d brush export functionality? As that would be one way to more easily transport maps from Gears to UT3. Not super simple of course, but it would save remaking the BSP from scratch.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    just off to buy gears of war . Prolly can't run it on my machine but gotta try anyway:D
    I actually used the editor for a year around 2 years ago. looking forward to see how its changed

EDIT
    Yeah i am having install problem, when it gets to 'decompressing files' it freezes. Anyone had this?
    EDIT
    it is just very slow to decompress the files. Its taken about an hour so far:(
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    You could export t3d, but the character scales, movement scales, etc are so different that to avoid smashing your skull with frustrations... would be cleaner just to rebuild smile.gif

transfering the BSP is possible though, don't want it to sound like it isn't. But you'll probably need to do a bit of work for it.

Lee Perry (eepers) is pretty frequent at our forums, and people are starting to figure stuff out:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=332
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Dammit! I just got GOW and found that it won't play without the updated nVidea driver. Since I'm on a Dell laptop, and their drivers are about 6 months old, and I can't just use that latest detonator release, I'm stuffed.

Gonna try find a workaround, maybe a beta set somewhere, or a way round the detonator installer. Sigh.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Damn.

The game rocks. I've been wanting to play it since I first heard about it. And now what I play of the game is awesomne. I LOVE jumping from cover to cover...and the game just simply looks awe inspiring. Belated props to everyone here who worked on it.

But it's a buggy, sloppy mess of a port. From the menu UI buttons blitting between 'press enter/whatever' and 'press (green pic of x console button)' at a rate of 20Hz to the g4wblah.exe crashing to my video card seeming to explode after x minutes of gameplay (like my card has exploded, resets to VESA vga only and then my monitor goes out of range). And then there's the stuttering which seems to be a holdover from the xbox' tiny video memory.

Screw People Can Fly...it seems they can only plumet.

PS: avoid the epic forums for a while...it's flaming with people with problems with the game. I don't think anything uisefull will come out of there until EPIC/PCF make an anouncement.
    To give an example of the madness, there's a guy who claims his game installs faster/plays better after he washed his game disc.
  • da_milkman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    da_milkman polycounter lvl 18
    PCF only did some MP maps.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dammit! I just got GOW and found that it won't play without the updated nVidea driver. Since I'm on a Dell laptop, and their drivers are about 6 months old, and I can't just use that latest detonator release, I'm stuffed.

Gonna try find a workaround, maybe a beta set somewhere, or a way round the detonator installer. Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9243

Use at your own risk of course, but I've been using this solution for some time with no problems. I have the same issue as many laptop owners. Toshiba dont put out drivers, and the ones nVidia release wont install. Whats commonly not known however, is that nvidia drivers are written for the chipset, not any specific card, so all thats really needed is a modded .INF file for things to work.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Oops! My bad! I thought they did the whole port. Well, in that case, Epic sucks smile.gif

Sorry, Chris, I'm just pissed I can only enjoy your game in ten to twenty minute bursts before my comp hardlocks, needs a reset and I have to reset my desktop. Which I don't...who has that kind of time frown.gif
    And you wouldn't believe how much it cost me to get the game; Epic better be working on a patch.

Still, it's strange, seeing as how Bioshock and the UT3 demo run flawlessly...
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    i know the specs for running the game on PC.

DO those specs carry over for the editor after say a fresh geo-lighting build?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Well I recon I will wait a bit before I purchase this one. I remember when x3 reunion came out, now that was a buggy game. Sometimes its worth waiting a few months in order to actually get a really well finished product.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think a lot of people are wanting the editor, though. I might pick up GoW just for the editor.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I just want the editor.. but I have the game already on 360.. I'm just going to wait for UT3.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I bought the game for pc too .. haha! smile.gif BUT it gives me pain asking me to have th cd in when I want to use the editor... argh...
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    just saw these unreal tutorials posted over at the zbrush forums and thought you guys might like to know. I haven't had a chance to watch them, so I can't speak for them.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=53388
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    well, coming hot off the heals of such a slick piece of software as COD4, this game is so far like a slap in the face with a wet kipper. It's taken an AGE to install, and the two attempts I've had to get into the first level have so far began and ended with a hard-lock at the loading screen. piss

oh hey wait its working. oh, it crashed
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    took about 2 and a half hours to install. When its uncomprressing the files, it just takes forever.
    My installs stopped working completely now and I am loathe to reinstall till i get my new system.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Daz for the driver tips - laptopvideo2go is my saviour.

I finally got the game to run (sometimes) but it tends to crash on the level saves, which makes me think it's a Games For Windows issue...

I can play the levels in the editor and they look stunning. Can't wait to get some content in there.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]

I can play the levels in the editor and they look stunning. Can't wait to get some content in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait - you can play right in the editor?

I can't wait for all the tutorials that come with UT3 LE.

but I definitely would like some tutorials before then too, if anyone has any.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Took an hour and a half to install and when I enter my product key and click submit, the button makes a noise....that's it. So I can't play the game till I find out how to get it to accept :/
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    well i got a good 40 mins out of it before another crash, and the game thats buried in there is pretty fun tongue.gif
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry that you guys are having so many problems. I can't beleive they'd release something thats so unreliable - I thought DoD:S was bad for that but this seems much worse. I had some frustration at the beginning with my live account. It continuously asked me to log in and would never remember my account, but I eventually got past that and the game has only crashed for me once. I've beaten the game co-op with my friend on 360 before, but I'm really enjoying it on PC now.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

wait - you can play right in the editor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup..

in-editor-gameth.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    damn that looks good
    I need it...

Anyone knows if my xbox live account works on windows live ? that would suck IMO to have to pay twice for the same thing...