The cake is a lie (Portal discussion)

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

(***SPOILERS!)
    After you blow the glass up with that rocket shooting robot, there is a vent you are suppose to go through that isn't jumping height. Is there a "correct" way to get up in it? Just curious, as stacking a collection of junk from the previous room didn't feel like the right way to go...

[/ QUOTE ]

When you get the rocket to break the glass you then have it break the glass around the tube with the box flying down it. Then use the box to hop up wink.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hehe I never used a security camera in any of the puzzles but nice creativity laugh.gif. is it the one with the companion cube? if its the bit I'm thinking of I stood on the button to one side and the ball passed by
  • aniceto
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Once you login to aperaturescience.com you can also apply just type in dir at the command prompt and type in apply.

laugh.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    anyone playing portal on 360, i have orange on 360 at home, and pc for work hour play, and the jumping on the 360 seems like its broken,

SPOILER

on room 19 when going down into the fire i could easily jump to the wall on the pc version, but on the 360 i cant even jump far enough to touch the wall, its really frustrating.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I miss my companion cube. . .
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    i want a "the cake is a lie" t-shirt.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this! crazy.gif
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddness polycounter lvl 11
    [ QUOTE ]
    anyone playing portal on 360, i have orange on 360 at home, and pc for work hour play, and the jumping on the 360 seems like its broken,

SPOILER

on room 19 when going down into the fire i could easily jump to the wall on the pc version, but on the 360 i cant even jump far enough to touch the wall, its really frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never had any problems jumping, and i have the 360 version. maybe it's the clipping or something on the floor and stuff. it was just about timing it right.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this! crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

third!

even being short, this game filled me with so many different feelings!

excellent!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this! crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

third!

even being short, this game filled me with so many different feelings!

excellent!

[/ QUOTE ]

fourthd!

hell yea!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18

SPOILER

anyone saw the briefing room with the projector showing contracts data/sales differences between black mesa and aperture ?

I second the comment son HL2:Eisode2 awesome piece of work, way better than episode1 and I'm almost thikning better than half-life 2 itself (and I played through hl2 at least 3 times)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    SPOILER

anyone saw the briefing room with the projector showing contracts data/sales differences between black mesa and aperture ?

I second the comment son HL2:Eisode2 awesome piece of work, way better than episode1 and I'm almost thikning better than half-life 2 itself (and I played through hl2 at least 3 times)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... that kind of makes sense and is also expected. Really good article over on ign about the orange box with comments on how the games get better visually (as well as gameplay) as you progress through the episodes. They even toss out the comment that they would have liked to have seen valve go back and update hl2 / ep 1.

As for the shirt, I'm already looking into doing a cafepress shirt, for this and another one I had in mind. I'll say for now "keep an eye open" should I go forward with it and make one.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I made a quick desktop image because I really really like this game wink.gif

portal_true_love_1280.png

1680x1050

1280x1024
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    haha, nice one smile.gif

just finished it about an hour ago, and absolutely loved it. lot of games could stand to be that short, actually, the length was perfect. short and sweet, perfectly tuned and no filler.

huge props to Erik Wolpaw's dialogue... GLaDOS (and the weighted companion cube) have muscled their way instantly into the gaming pantheon.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    after rebooting the xbox the jumping seems to work fine, and i got thru that one puzzle on the first try. kind of anoying i spent almost an hour trying to make that jump before.

I loved the ending to portal. i think thats easily one of my favorite bad guys in any game. the way it was so determined to kill you. but at the same time thrilled and proud that you keep escaping.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I didn't realize that Erik Wolpaw was the writer on this game until I listened to some of the comentary. Now I understand why there weren't crates in the game, just "Aperture Science Weight and Storage Cubes" smile.gif

StC rating of infinity.

Also the song at the end is my new favorite song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-tmMfbjIu8
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The latest Steam Update News is awesome....

*Whew* Now we're taking a break to enjoy some cake.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got my cake. . . and I still miss my companion cube frown.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    POrtal was sweet. It flooded my brain with bubbles of hapyness.

Loved the plot/story/idea behind it all.

at the secret website.. after you do the login thing, tpye "DIR".. you get 2 exes to try.

I took the application test, and failed remembering my 64 digit #. Its impossible. :P I need to take a print screen of it. You'll figure out why.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    swampbug: that 64 digit number is impossible since you can only enter upper case text :P
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Really awsome game. The sentries are so awsome. Kinda disappointed that you can't shoot through the portals to make a portal, used that often in the narbacular drop.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    well yeah, but ... the flashing number. After a few flashes, segments of the string change. If you wait a while the # you started writing down, is completely different after a a few dozen flashes. Hahah.. I thought for a second I wrote the number down all wrong.

sneaky.

[ QUOTE ]
    swampbug: that 64 digit number is impossible since you can only enter upper case text :P

[/ QUOTE ]
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Really awsome game. The sentries are so awsome. Kinda disappointed that you can't shoot through the portals to make a portal, used that often in the narbacular drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought at first. You can actually shoot a portal through a portal if you go through the portal enough so that your gun is actually sticking our of your exit portal enough... you just need to tap 'w' in and 's' out a few times and you'll be able to get past the force field that normally prevents you. Hope that makes sense... takes some practice, but you get used to how much you need to poke into the portal in order to accomplish this.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skrubbles, I tried that a few times, and I usually got the same result, instant death as the portal I entered closed, and chopped off the back half of my body. Or that was what I thought was happening, maybe I'm mistaken?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Portals can't kill you. There was a mention of that in the developer commentary. They usually push you in or out of the portal before is closes.
    But as skrubbles mentioned, you can make another portal while partially in one. Its just finding the right balance.
    Has anyone here completed the camera achievement yet?

-caseyjones
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I've come close with the camera achievement. can't find 2 cameras though
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't figure out the last bit of Bonus map 6. any hints as to how to get past all the sentries?
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought at first. You can actually shoot a portal through a portal if you go through the portal enough so that your gun is actually sticking our of your exit portal enough... you just need to tap 'w' in and 's' out a few times and you'll be able to get past the force field that normally prevents you. Hope that makes sense... takes some practice, but you get used to how much you need to poke into the portal in order to accomplish this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even more tricky is to stand in a portal, jump out + shoot a new one + get back in + land in the space in-between. This allows you to actually travel along walls without ever having to land. I think it is actually required to get Least Portals on chamber 15 (unless there's some other voodoo I missed).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Well, there were certainly easier ways, acc. But that's the cool thing about this game - it's entirely up to you on how to get through. There's more than one way, so it's interesting to see what people do with it.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Played through last night. It's a lot of fun, looking forward to the bonus maps and additional achievements.

The only weirdness I ran into was being pushed through my portal (one of those giant pistols in the last levels). I came out halfway through the floor on the other side, but my portal on that end was at a normal height. Either way, I had to restart the area.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can't figure out the last bit of Bonus map 6. any hints as to how to get past all the sentries?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's tricky. After entering the room immediately head left and place a couple portals to get on top of the section of wall that's sticking out that looks like it's there to block energy balls. Keep the portal next to you and open a portal on the left wall behind the left side sentries. Use the portal beside you to adjust your aim. Once it looks good leave the portal behind the sentry and open one in the floor below you. Jump through it. If you aimed correctly you'll fly into and knock over the sentry you aimed for. The sentry will stop your momentum. Jump down to the checkered floor below and get back up to the ledge you were originally on when you entered the room. Do the same thing for the other left side sentry. The right side ones you can easily open portals behind them and jump through and knock them over. You don't need to launch yourself at them but you can if you want to. smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Portal Ending Credits Song "Still Alive"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI&mode=related&search=

Lryics:
    This was a triumph.
    I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.
    It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
    Aperture Science
    We do what we must
    because we can.
    For the good of all of us.
    Except the ones who are dead.
    But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
    You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
    And the Science gets done.
    And you make a neat gun.
    For the people who are still alive.
    I'm not even angry.
    I'm being so sincere right now.
    Even though you broke my heart.
    And killed me.
    And tore me to pieces.
    And threw every piece into a fire.
    As they burned it hurt because I was so happy for you!
    Now these points of data make a beautiful line.
    And we're out of beta.
    We're releasing on time.
    So I'm GLaD. I got burned.
    Think of all the things we learned
    for the people who are still alive.
    Go ahead and leave me.
    I think I prefer to stay inside.
    Maybe you'll find someone else to help you.
    Maybe Black Mesa
    THAT WAS A JOKE.
    HAHA. FAT CHANCE.
    Anyway, this cake is great.
    It's so delicious and moist.
    Look at me still talking
    when there's Science to do.
    When I look out there, it makes me GLaD I'm not you.
    I've experiments to run.
    There is research to be done.
    On the people who are still alive.
    And believe me I am still alive.
    I'm doing Science and I'm still alive.
    I feel FANTASTIC and I'm still alive.
    While you're dying I'll be still alive.
    And when you're dead I will be still alive.
    STILL ALIVE (x2)

[ QUOTE ]
    "But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
    You just keep on trying till you run out of cake".

[/ QUOTE ]My new mantra.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, thanks Hollow, I hadn't thought about trying to get to the platforms the sentries themselves are on. Good call.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    http://myspace.com/thereisnocake

I hear they're making companion cube plushies.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles...-The-Orange-Box

zero punctuation review of OB. With some good portal lovin
  • Pavel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pavel polycounter lvl 10
    I took my cake!
    cake.jpg
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Good news! Portal maps are already being made by the steam community!!! smile.gif There's a thread that's collecting them as they're made: CLICK ME

I haven't played any of these yet, but I'm excited that things are already underway. I'm hoping somebody will put up a website that'll collect these for d/l. There also a few different groups that are trying to make a portal multiplayer mod... you can do a search on youtube to view them.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    I don't remember exactly where this was, but it's a nice little jellyfish.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    HOLY SHIT J Coulton did the last track?! That guy is badass! He played at this year's PAX and was a ton of fun. My favorite song of his is "Code Monkey" laugh.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished it. I loved the shit talking from the computer at the end.

10/10
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    OrangeBox just keeps getting better and better. I just realized something: Valve has made a character out of a fucking CRATE.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I wouldn't eat that cake if i were you, since you get some hints of the recipe during the game..

like "fish shaped ethyl benzene"..
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well it was bound to happen eventually. Someone worked out how to get the Portal Gun going on HL2. Or HL2 going in Portal as the case may be.
    http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/17/half-life-2-portal/
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Valve picks the most interesting people for reference and voice overs.

I was in a completely unrelated discussion about music with a friend today, which led to look up info on Mike Patton on wikipedia. Apparently, Mike Patton provided his vocal talents to Portal. He's also providing his voice for the new Bionic Commando game.

Also, the main antagonist in Portal is also the announcer in TF2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_McLain
    http://www.northwestartists.org/em.htm
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    and the combine radio announcer I think
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    SPOILER!!!
    I love how one of those 'balls' during the boss fight keeps bambling about the cake recipe haha!