Home General Discussion

The cake is a lie (Portal discussion)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
PORTAL TONIGHT BITCHES!!

Am I the only one who doesn't give too shits about TF2? Ep2 looks rad, but most of all I want Portal! Mind-bending adventures through a fucked-up lab run by psychotic monkeys that have an obsession with cake.

These forums could use a spoiler tag. Please? (Or an upgrade to something like phpbb3... I'll port your theme! For a small price. Just a little one.)

Right, so until we get spoiler tags, NO PLOT SPOILERS PLEASE. But I think it'd be fun to solve some of the puzzles together, yes yes?

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Portal is going to be sweet, but not caring about tf2 = you either crazy or you hate multiplayer shooters.

HL2:e2 is going to be amazing too (if it is anything like the other hl2's).

Very excite!!
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just don't care for class-based shooters :shrug:
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Just buy Ep2 and Portal for $45 separately on steam then. I agree with bounchfx, your taste in games is called into question when you can't at least enjoy tf2 just a LITTLE.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pre-loaded and ready to rock!

-caseyjones
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    ill never get any work done frown.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I bought the orange box, yet every Source engine game now crashes at the loading screen for me. I've ran all the Valve diagnostics, only to have it tell me my video card drivers are "out of date" and that I need drivers that are over 1 year old. Valve Tech support has yet to reply to a single one of my e-mails and its been a couple weeks. It looks like Valve may have lost a customer!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    i dont think they care.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    The reason I bought Orange Box is 80% for Portal. 10% TF2, 10% Ep1&2.
    Now after playing TF2 and Ep1, I have to recalibrate my percentages. But Portal is still well over 50%.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I bought the orange box, yet every Source engine game now crashes at the loading screen for me. I've ran all the Valve diagnostics, only to have it tell me my video card drivers are "out of date" and that I need drivers that are over 1 year old. Valve Tech support has yet to reply to a single one of my e-mails and its been a couple weeks. It looks like Valve may have lost a customer!

[/ QUOTE ]

happened to me on my work computer, HL2, EP1, and Lost Coast all crash but TF2 runs fine, weirdz. I'm going to whipe and reinstalls.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Bought it for TF2, but i'm sure HL+Portal will be a nice bonus. Still haven't beat HL2 yet though.. laugh.gif
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWO POINT TWO FIVE HOURS LEFT GUYS.

Guys.

Guys this is going to rule.

[ QUOTE ]
    Just buy Ep2 and Portal for $45 separately on steam then. I agree with bounchfx, your taste in games is called into question when you can't at least enjoy tf2 just a LITTLE.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ha! I haven't played TF2 at all because I know it's really good--I wouldn't have time to work on getting a job in the industry :/ It's bad enough with Portal, a 3-hour game itself. But I'm still skeptical, though since I bought it, damnit, might as well at least try it. So we'll see.

It was actually cheaper to buy the Orange Box than to buy Ep2 and Portal separately. I shit you not.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    hour left.

I'm curious how hard the 'extra' missions will be for portal because according to reviews (so far) it's only about 2 hours long and fairly easy.

should still be fun as hell to just mess around in.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YES. 'Fun as hell' being an understatement. I've paused my game temporarily to tell you guys I'm in test chamber 15. I've been at it for an hour. It said there's 19 chambers. I'm hoping there's more after the tests, but I'm pretty sure it ain't cake frown.gif

But I do love the fine lady talkin to me. She's my best friend!

...anyone else look through their browser window like it's a portal now? It's kinda fucked up.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    coldwolf: there's bonus maps
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm on a real tight budget... so i'm just gonna have to wait for UT3.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FUN, but short frown.gif the antagonists are really funny
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    just finished.. AWESOME! (short and sweet, like.. cake..)
    gonna give the bonus maps a blast smile.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Lol love and hate those sentry guns on 15. Their voice is awesome.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The HL2 crash/outdated video drivers problem vanished today so they must of fixed it.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just beat it. hahaha love the end credits.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    WTF!? The steam games page says "Pre-Load Complete: Unreleased"

When I double click it brings up the countdown page, all set to 0's, with a "Launch Game" button that does nothing when I click it.

How did I screw up the preload thing?!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you loaded up Steam today it should have decrypted the files so you can play. You might need to try rebooting your comp or restarting Steam or contact tech support.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Great Game!
    Cake is a lie, thats fine with me. smile.gif
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumberboy, like what Hollowmind said, I had to restart Steam to make it decrypt the game files. Bunch of rubbish if you ask me.

Keg: Bonus!! Yeah, I saw that option in the menu. I really want more of the story though, the whole thing is so bizarre and oddly creative that I don't want it to end. So creepy too! Amazing "little" game.

I had to stop for sleep on 18 (I KNOW. Leave me alone frown.gif ). I can't wait to finish it tonight. I'm going to make a wallpaper in honor of its awesomeness, one that's probably been made 50 times already. But it'll be MY wallpaper! Arrr
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Argh! I can't beat the last bonus map. If anybody manages to make it through the last room of it please send me a pm through the forums or on Steam. frown.gif

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. cool.gif
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Indeed, I had to restart Steam. . .that's a load of BS, but at least it wasn't busted.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah awesome game
    haven't played the bonus maps yet, just beat the story, but I really enjoyed it, the last 2 encounters/chambers are awesome
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished. I don't think I've ever been so well rewarded for completing a game. It feels good. I'll try the bonus levels later, and hope to see some custom maps soon. I really enjoyed it, and will play through it again for more acheivements. Now I have a craving for cake.

I loved those sentry guns. Very clever.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (minor spoilers ahead)

I cant recall the level number(not a bonus), it was that one where you have to keep 2 red buttons pushed to open 2 doors to let the energy ball through...did anyone else have to jam a security camera in the first door to solve it? if you put a box on the first one it just gets in the way of the energy ball, and the security camera wont weigh down the button even if you have 5 of them.
    It seemed like a bug to me
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    (spoiler spoiler spoiler)

I put the box on the second one, and jumped on the first just as the ball passed by.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I only managed about 30mins of play time last night, I'm up to the 13th puzzle. I had to choose between playing Portal or seeing a girl. It was a tough choice, but one I don't regret cool.gif
    Fun little game though and I'm glad they included achievements as well. Woo, just preloaded here at work, I'm off for a quick game before my day starts.

-caseyjones
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddness polycounter lvl 11
    (spoilers)

aniceto, you put the box on the furthest door's button then stand on the other one just long enough to let the energy ball go through. at least, that's how i did it.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    (spoiler)

I was getting sad at the end of the 19th lvl thinking that my fun would be over... glad to see that you can escape the flames... feels like that's when the real game actually starts. Love the computer voice/personality and the the song at the end of the game. Can't wait to play the advanced chambers and maps the community make... FUN!!!
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Love the computer voice/personality and the the song at the end of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://supermonkeyballz.shackspace.com/portal_still_alive.mp3
    song contains spoilerz
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Aniceto! Thanks for posting that.

I just played through nearly the whole thing again to check out the commentary and to hear that song again. smile.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    <spoiler>

With the 2 red buttons, I just placed the box on the button on the right to open the first door, then when the ball passed through took it off (trapping the ball between both doors) and placed the box on the other button, opening the last door so it could make contact.

Finished it and did the advanced maps, just got the challenges to do now. Been trying to do the achievements but not sure how to take out the cameras on some later maps.

Much fun, wish it was longer smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    place a portal behind them
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddness polycounter lvl 11
    <spoiler> man i'm in a pinch. on the first advanced map, i can't do it in 4 portals.. the lowest i can go is 5. damn logic!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    You can't place portals behind them when they are on metal walls.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Fantastic game.

For anyone that missed it, in one of the 'secret' rooms, there was some login info scribbled on the wall (had to move some junk to be able to read it). Go to http://aperturescience.com/ and type "LOGIN", then "USERNAME: cjohnson", "PASSWORD: tier3". Now there will be a new command, "NOTES," telling a brief history of Aperture Science. There will be cake.

(***SPOILERS!)
    After you blow the glass up with that rocket shooting robot, there is a vent you are suppose to go through that isn't jumping height. Is there a "correct" way to get up in it? Just curious, as stacking a collection of junk from the previous room didn't feel like the right way to go...
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    ANI, i believe that 1 is where you pop the cube on the last door, and as the energy ball comes close to the door you jump on the button laugh.gif hope that helped hehe

My god the ending is so damn awesome!
    Way to go portal/Valve team, Episode 2 is by far the most godly piece of work ive ever had the grace of playing wink.gif
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPOILERS SPOILERS

I'm stuck on 19!! Same place as you Spacey. Did you ever get passed it? Anyone? I'm coldwolf on Steam, help!
    Those achievements are hilarious. Are they real Steam achievements or is it just another joke?
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Spacey, Coldwolf, just go back to the room with the cannon and grab a chair. wink.gif
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, thats what I did. Though one chair wasn't sturdy enough, needed more junk.

Couple other little touches I found funny:
    - Clipboard of a chicken's (?) performance with "FAIL" stamped on it.
    - The code scrolling up the computer screens has some cake ingredients and measurements hidden in the text.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    For that portion I did the same thing I did to break the glass. Use the rocket launcher to break the cube tube. I believe that this is the 'correct' way to do it.

10/10 game for me. I absolutely LOVED this game. Yes it was short, but damn FUN. Reminded me a lot of ICO.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah per Spacey's advice I just piled up junk. First time I did it I got stuck in the map, had to restart frown.gif But second time I got through fine.

Best. Game. Ever.

Maybe not ever, but I can't get over its brilliance. Unfortunately my laptop could only play it with all details on low so I couldn't read the text very well. When I get a new rig I'll plow through it again for sure. SO great, I can't get over it!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Just beat it.

Holy shit awesome.

Last level took longer than all the other levels combined.

AWESOME.

time to try the bonus stuff now.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey, set-up a portal pointing at the box tube. Go back to the rocket sentry room. Set a portal up, get it to fire through the portal. It'll break the tube and drop a storage cube to pick-up and use to get up there.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    That was 100% awesome. The only problem was how short it was. Although for the cost...

Yea, that just ruled. Writing/Sense of Humour was ace, puzzles were always fun, never tedious, etc...

God I loved that. :|
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    i dont think they care.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I guess they do as they've patched the games and they all now work, TF2 included!