apple should buy them imo, mac exclusive bungie games plz

[/ QUOTE ]

Please leave--->

=P
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    wow didn't see this coming. Might be true too since Microsoft is quick to reply to stuff like this.

Where are the Bungie guys? Let us know.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHH WHAT? And eliminate almost the entire gaming world for a few people with macs...Sounds like a brilliant plan.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I wish I was as cool as some of those mac users.
    I mean i don't even have an iPod, I doubt I can even be taken seriously as a person.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Quality over quantity, Jesse. I hear mac users are more "hip".

[/ QUOTE ]

damn right we are!
    just look at Bearkub. He puts the "hip" in hippy.

tongue.gifwink.gif
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Good move for Bungie IMO.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Seems incredibly unreliable. Someone heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend kind of thing. Beyond that it's not a very err... sound business decision.

I'll believe it when I see a press release on bungie or microsoft's sites.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    master chief in white plastic armour, driving round in a warthog with a multi-touch panel in place of a steering wheel...
    you could beat the covenant by installing itunes on their inferior windows based computers
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddness polycounter lvl 11
    luckily we have some bungie people on this forum. maybe they'll stop by to laugh at this or nod and leave.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHH WHAT? And eliminate almost the entire gaming world for a few people with macs...Sounds like a brilliant plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah we've seen the horrible bloody aftermath after marathon was released, bad times!!!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting, I wonder if its true or not. If its true does that mean they get to take Halo with em after "4"? Or are they done humping the franchise and have something new in store?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I asked a friend at Bungie, he says this story is bullshit.

But aside from that....

Bungie's name is a valuable marketing tool in of itself, it would be a foolish move for MS to do this.

edit: "Who's the more foolish? The fool? Or the fool who follows him?"

-Obi Wan
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    This is DUMB.

Microsoft paid millions for Bungie, and it's probably an order of magnitude more valuable now than when they bought it. They wouldn't just "let them leave."
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Go to the Digg link, 8bitJake. I know, still, speculation blah-blah.

But its fun to pretend!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    This looks about as real as double d's on a runway model.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Well the source is obviously reputable... I mean, he only had two typos in the few sentences he posted :/

Seriously, believe when seen.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow! look a flying pig!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    If this were true I would be so happy...I carry a grudge to this day for what MS did to the Myth franchise. bitches...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    If only it were true, but MS brings them the $$$. Before Microsoft, Bungie created games for Macs. It would be cool for them to try it again with Apples success. Besides, Halo was their only big success, with MS funding, and it took them 3 tries to get it right. They can do casual games for the iPod now. ^_^
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*Vomits in mouth* oh please stop before I crap my pants
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Not exactly bullshit... it could happen.

I was going to write this up (basically), but someone already did in a comment:

You buy a company and you sign retention agreements for key employees, i.e. the team.

These employees have HUGE financial incentive to stay so they do.

3 or 5 or 7 years later depending upon the contract, the time is up. MS formally acquired bungie about 7 years ago at this time... they announced intention on june 19th, add 3 months for presumed legal stuff, and you get september 19th, which is close today, give or take.

So... retention contracts go POOF, and suddenly a bunch of key people can leave with no penalty.

The value of a software company is A) its people and B) its IP... but you cant own people!

So the people say to microsoft, we are going to leave, and while we wont solicit the rest of the team, we are their leaders and maybe theyll call us for jobs. MS knows from past experience that that will happen.. and bungie employees would like to keep their tech, so they cut a deal -- bungie goes its own way and gets a license to use all the tech it wrote while part of MS, and signs an xbox exclusive deal for a while. That's good business for MS, because the alternative is to lose the team and have them go 4-platform, which they certainly can do profitably with the games they can make.

Even if MS was the best corporate owner ever, the Halo team members have an enormous incentive to quit and start their own company with the amount of money they could make the company worth.

The email is consistent with this -- the IP is held by MS, but the team leaves. This is a common issue with software company acquisitions.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe they had some sort of contract deal. Coincidence that this news come out days after their 3rd game published by MS? I know studios do contract deals saying that you must do x amount of games for us in y amount of years mumbo-jumbo, but 3 is usually the magic number. Just look at any big franchise movies - they sign all the actors for 3 pics. Pixar did it with Disney(7), Rare did it with Nintendo(#?), etc, etc...

I'm just looking forward to seeing the Bioware/Bungie/Pandemic independent super conglomerate!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    Before Microsoft, Bungie created games for Macs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean Myth 1/2 and Marathon 2 never happened?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_e...estnews;title;1

It was bogus. Sorry mac users don't get your hopes up.....
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't forget Oni.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Just to state the obvious on that Gamespot article - they didn't prove or say anything we didn't already know.

laugh.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam, maybe one or two key people leave, like with Alex Seropian, and start a new studio. But, not very many could leave (non-compete clauses are written to protect against that exact scenario). And, that situation is not what the article is supposing. The article is saying that the entire frigging studio is basically free and clear of MS ownership because they want to be. That's dumb.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    don't forget Oni.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still own oni, it's lying on my floor a few feet away.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I talked with a friend at MSG last night and "He's not saying anything that would deny or confirm Bungie is leaving". I put that in quotes because it sounded like a prepared, coached statement when he said it.

Since the blog post wasn't an offical PI news story I lean toward BS. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Adam made a good argument for it happening, but it still smacks of BS. I think the guy is just trying to drive people to his site, using Halo, Bungie and MS, do him a favor and don't go.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    With Bungie i think the name is worth more than the employees, how many people who buy Halo know people behind it anyways?
    So it think its hyper unlikely MS would let them walk with the name.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    With Bungie i think the name is worth more than the employees, how many people who buy Halo know people behind it anyways?
    So it think its hyper unlikely MS would let them walk with the name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would get out that its a different team realllly quick. The Bungie guys looooove pumping out those making of videos and splashing their faces about the game more than any other dev team has.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Why are we still talking about this? confused.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the important question is not whether Bungie will depart from Microsoft or their future franchise plans, but whether or not Brome underscored the uncertainty and doubt posed by the rumor with enough question marks. "Bungie leaves Microsoft?" says nothing. Bungie leaves Microsoft???????????? says it all.

Also, just how many posts will cheapie make with his gimmick account? will those posts differ in any substantial way than his regular? these are the questions young adults face.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, gauss makes this more exciting than the preview for Heroes next week. Can't wait!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ok done u need to paypal me the money tho
    i can output a lower qaulity version, tell me if this is too big to load on yr modem?????

per_resume.jpg
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    i luv gauss

[edit]nvm. posted too soon.[/edit]
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I'm with ebagg. There's no way in hell halo without bungie would go unnoticed by gamers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Among a small percentage of hardcore gamers, yes. The vast majority of gamers however, wouldn't know the difference.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    that's what you want them to think, though. i KNOW you've recently bought a conversion kit off ebay that allows you to stab people in the face through the internet, you're just keeping it hush-hush because INTERPOL is after you.

but on topic, yes, there's no way a hand-off of the main Halo franchise could occur without people noticing and possibly revolting. it's one thing for Ensemble to carefully re-create some of the Halo flavor in a genre as different as RTS is, but a direct attempt is like someone subbing in for Peter Jackson on the new Hobbit movie (if it ever gets made). people will notice.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Imagine if some small Texas based company made the next Mario game. People would know smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like... exactly what happened with metroid?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    psst... Mario games get outsourced all the time. It's not the same Nintendo team making all Mario games.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga: AlphaDream
    Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time: AlphaDream
    Super Paper Mario: Intelligent Systems
    Super Mario RPG, Legend of the Seven Stars: Square
    Super Smash Bros. Melee: HAL Laboratory
    Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix: Konami

And thats just a few...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    AstroZombie: Not by default, I agree, but remember the press is going to go on about it, people are going to know for sure. Word goes around. Imagine if some small Texas based company made the next Mario game. People would know smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, that small percentage of hard-core gamers who actually bother reading game news websites are going to know. It still stands IMO that joe-average gamer isn't going to know nor is he going to care.

Everyone here needs to remember that us and our peers are not the average gamer. Because we are passionate about games we know and care about these things. I would be willing to bet that if you asked all of the people who bought Halo 3 who developed it a large majority would answer "Microsoft" and a few would probably even answer "Xbox" or "Sony."
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah doesnt sorny make halo? i dont care, killzone 2 will own that ass hard!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/game-informer-adds-fuel-to-bungie-departure-fire-306301.php

OK, this I can see: Jason Jones and a couple other key folks leave, pay MS $XX million for the Bungie name. MS retains the vast bulk of the people at the studio and the IP to make as much Halo as they want, plus a publishing deal for whatever the new studio is working on (which must not be a direct competitor to Halo or MS sues).

At least my wild speculation is moderately believable, unlike the guy in the first link.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm at my daughters 4mo check up and her Dr is a close friend who happens to have ties deep inside of MSG's upper echelon he said the rumors are true and Bungie is leaving MSG but they will still be close and more than likely will stay on the MS campus.

The whole thing is BAZAR, and I don't know what to believe. I just hope it doesn't doom either company. It feels a bit like listening to the Y2K crazies who built bomb shelters and stockpiled food, only this time they could be right...

I really think the test for Bungie is how they handle a non halo game, weather they are in or out of MSG it doesn't really matter.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The current rumor I heard is pretty much what Doc Rob posted: Some of the Bungie guys are buying back the name per a clause in the original contract. They will be obligated to fulfill a certain # of games commitment and then to give MS first right of refusal on a certain # of titles. Current Bungie employees are given the option of moving to MGS or staying with Bungie.

Sounds kind of similar to the whole Disney / Pixar deal which is quite a bit different than "Bungie did such a good job on Halo, MS is giving them back their freedom." tongue.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    It's official now. Take that, nay-sayers!

Bungie Unleashed