Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My web site is finally live *DELETED*

Replies

• James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please read my last post and you few stop making yourself look like asses. I apologized already and made it clear we misunderstood each other....I was only defending myself to what seemed like being attacked. Please read my last post before this one and stop antagonizing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started writing my monster reply before it spilled all hot and heavy onto the second page... so there POKE POKE =P

Seriously, lighten up.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    seforin, you went way past constructive criticism and onto making us all look like idiots. Your posts so far have been pretty mindless flaming, and aren't doing anything but antagonizing him.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    James, just fix the stuff really, and you can count on honest feedback from the boards, i apologize if from my part made me look like an ass , but i simply dont like primmadonnas ehehe , but keep going and dont get discouraged.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    seforin, you went way past constructive criticism and onto making us all look like idiots. Your posts so far have been pretty mindless flaming, and aren't doing anything but antagonizing him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already appologised, sorry frown.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    when in reality none of you are web developers and I have had my site critiqued through a professional web developer. Not to mention I have probably been doing digital art and design longer than most the kids in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, we have a few longtime web designers here (seriously, check out the websites of some of the guys who have posted in this thread, they tend to have it in their sig or profile,) and a good deal of the posters are older than you.

Quit treating this forum like it's full of a bunch of stupid kids just because they don't think your art is the best they've ever seen, and you could learn an awful lot.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wow, loads of abuse here. When someone criticises me I hunt them down and slaughter them or at least twist their nipples really hard.
    I agree with some of the criticisms about your original site design. The work was ok, but nothing flash. The environment stuff showed promise. I think in a few years time , you will be successful if you keep working. it just takes time.
    Take comments with a pinch of salt.
    I remember when I first started posting , I posted a door texture which I was really proud of, but then people jumped all over it and I got pissed off, but looking back, folks were just pointing out basic flaws.
    Whne I was at art college, crits were brutal man ie tear it up or start again.
    we would have long involved crits, where everyone stood up and said their piece about your work, but they were rarely nasty, just blunt.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with KP on this one..
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    im with hito on this one
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Being honest and blunt about something you know a lot about is NOT the same as trolling. Just for the record. (although it looks like you're starting to get the point. wink.gif)

I took a look at your site, and it loaded very slow for me. And the images refused to start loading before all the thumbnails had loaded. You should really read the site linked earlier in this thread, "your portfolio repels job", the advice given there is invaluable!
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    we should all go play SKATE...it's AWESOME!!!
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I came off like an arrogant asshole...I did get the critics for my site and work. In fact I have written them down and put it into a notepad doc. I did read the article about web sites that repel...it had a lot of good info in it and I know exactly what to fix. It's going to be a site redesign for me...get rid of all the flash stuff..I had no idea the flash stuff wasn't all the rage still. I can create a thumbnail page for the modeling. I am going to pull the portrait on every page, in all honesty on the first posters told me it was creepy. At first I was defensive, but looking through my site rationally I can totally see how it is creepy looking out. Also it isn't a totally well rounded and solid pencil drawing....it could be taken to the next level and improved greatly. I am going to go with the best I have at this moment in time and put it face forward. I do know doing the crits I got in here will make everything as appealing as it could look with my skill level as it is. I know I will improve...I just hope at this juncture I show enough knowledge technically and artistically to get a chance in the industry....I know I am far from being at the top of the game in this field, but I feel I have promise the more I work and the more time I spend. I feel kind of like a fish out of water in here sometimes...I don't know most the people at all I post in here with. I sincerely apologize to you for my attitude and defensiveness....I guess I put so much time and work into what I have put together that it feels personal to me and I feel attached to it. Couple that with not knowing who I am talking with and I got defensive. End point is...I will fix what it is that needs fixed design wise and organize it more coherently. I took a look at a lot of you guys's sites and noticed mine didn't fit the trends of displaying the artwork. I see one of my first mistakes that is major is I designed and put together a standard web site, whereas the portfolio sites for 3d artists are presented in different way than a standard site. They are more directly focused. I still am in this school mindset where they seem to have misled me into thinking it's great to put all the things I do onto one site...my drawings, my line art...my models...they preached for us to be generalists and to show everything we can do. The more I look and research I see that the job fields are much more focused. All in all this thread may have gotten off on the wrong foot...but I learned some lessons in here the last two days.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yup, in the industry, you have to let go of the ownership of the stuff you create. if you think about it, they are paying you for asset creation, not personal art. Its so easy to get precious over the stuff you do, then some art director comes along and humbles you, by telling you it either crap, not what was asked for or the wrong style.
    Its funny though, you are always told not to behave like an asshole when you are new in the industry, then the seniors( at least some of them I have met- not polycounters) contradict this by behaving in the most childlike, assholish way possible as if to completely defy any reason or logic. you just have to be a tough skinnned SOB to get anywhere these days.

Good luck anyways
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    It seems like you are getting the gist of it. Didn't see your earlier posts but people here will fuck you up for being unreasonable and arrogant.
    Be honest with yourself, find your best areas, fix your stuff and try posting here again. Rinse and repeat.

And format your posts, those masses of text is as painful to read as my shitty grammar.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its funny though, you are always told not to behave like an asshole when you are new in the industry, then the seniors( at least some of them I have met- not polycounters) contradict this by behaving in the most childlike, assholish way possible as if to completely defy any reason or logic. you just have to be a tough skinnned SOB to get anywhere these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, retardness coming from some industry "veterans" is outstanding, most the time they do that to balance a lack of skill/keep their ass covered
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Oh man, I finally understand how to play the Pyro class now and it keeps crasshinngg!!1111

oh crap, wrong thread?

I like your cars a lot dude, but the character work up top wasn't your best stuff or even that professional. take the crits they gave earlier about the site as well and it's all gravy baby. good luck at zoics!

oh... and not to be a dick, but like cubik said... watch how you type those paragraphs up man. my eyes are bleeding.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /me walks away.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Close da thread no art to see here keep it mov'in smile.gif.

Damn everyone's in here your getting more replies than I do with art man you rock!

Serious:
    Just get better and show them how talented you are. Then they become your sex slaves, lol. Have fun isn't that what art is about.
  • javi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    very interesting turn of events.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting read.
    What's even more interesting is that you were defending your site and your artwork and now after a few days you've already learned what not to do in your folio site, you've learned that you still need to improve on your artwork (like everyone else, especially myself), you've gained some insight on the games industry and even managed to meet a bunch of the polycounters.
    Now tell me... What other art forum on the internet are you going to accomplish all of that in the span of a few days? Stick around a bit longer and you'll most definitely learn a shitload more! So one day, you too can be a jerk to some newbie dude that posts his folio site laugh.gif

-caseyjones
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Surprise ending!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    this thread was fucking weird.

I dont even know what to think.