Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My web site is finally live *DELETED*

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Don't like it. While your work is average, your presentation is harsh.

Your site limits you. The user has to sit and load each imbedded image, wait to scroll through all your images. It's slow and clunky.

Your concept art has 19 pieces. Trim it back to maybe 6-10 of your BEST work. You're only as good as your worst piece, so quality of quantity here. In 3d, the user must work through 38 images of three finished pieces, organize. As for that "only as good as your worst piece" idea goes, an In Progress section is a no-no for portfolios. It's also a pain in the ass for you to update all the time.

Simplify it to a single page of thumbnails, resume and demo reel link (no fancy flash and user-limiting, reinvented scrolling).

I know it's supposed to be a drawing of you, but that guy on the left staring at me is creepy. It's not that good of a drawing either. If you want an employer to have to see your work the whole time, it should be your best piece.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Slightly harsh but true Im afraid. Also your concept art section doesnt have any concept art in it! Is any of it actually useful for a website that is trying to get you a job? namely would a game company really want to see any of it?
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by James Arndt
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    your vehicles models are the best. i would take out the character art for now, as it's the first thing you see, and it's not the best work. if your goal is character art, then you still have a ways to go. there are some fantastic character artists out there. your vehicles are nice though.

i honestly think the self portrait is ok. it has some perspective issues. dont trust everything they tell you at school. schools can be too kind. some of your vector art is way more impressive to me.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Im not really gonna go into critiquing your site or your work right now,

however, I would like to say that at school, the instructors and other students are almost entirely made up of ass kissers. Professors consistently tell kids good job and tell them how cool it is after they make the most pathetic crap that took all of 6 minutes. Students are the same because they're afraid of alienating people like you who don't take critiques well.

also, listen to cholden. Dude knows his shit.
  • The Umbrella Man
    Do a google search of "Your site repels jobs" and you'll come across a game website article about why HR people throw away your site before getting to the art. The guy who wrote it works for a game company, so he knows what he's talking about.

http://www.thejonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

link for the lazy
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I was one of the tops students at my school, I'm not saying I'm a bad artist but the reality is most of what said in school regarding the industry is wrong, and most of the people saying you are great are full of shit. What I mean by that is that they will kiss your ass if they think it will benefit them, I'm not judging your skill level by that comment or mine, but it can be taken the wrong way very easily. You have talent and I hope that if you do get hired it's at a good company and not get raped like a dog. Just be aware that they are out there. Also don't take the harsh comments the wrong way either. Ideally you should get rid of the flash stuff because it takes too long to load.

Alex
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    The guy who wrote it works for a game company, so he knows what he's talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure his job is to hire and manage artists, in fact.

James Arndt: I know where you're coming from, posting this up after getting a lot of positive feedback from your classmates and having it torn apart, but it'll do you a lot of good to listen to what Chris said. He (like a lot of the other posters here) has been working in the industry for years, and honestly knows better than a few classmates who think you're good at pencil drawn portraits. It may sound like he's being needlessly harsh, but the better companies in the game industry have very high standards.
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I would agree with some earlier comments that your mechanical work is better than your organic stuff. I think you should revisit your military guy, especially if you are going for a realistic look.

That being said, I really liked your Illustrator spline drawings. I would place those close to the top instead of where they are at currently. And I would rename your 'concept art' section to 2D or Traditional art because seems more apropriate for what you're showing.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I also cannot stand sites that resize your browser. I have it at the screen size I like it at, why do you need to resize it for me.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    I honestly find it a little creepy when browsing that the artist's self portrait is looking at me on every page. Whether it's a great sketch or not.

I agree with what Chris said as well.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Jame, I have a very handy tip for you: Check your ego at the door and leave the attitude with it. There are far too many hiring managers/artists on this board for you to come across the way you did in your second post.

Chris is right in almost every point. I see that you've come to in your last post, but it's a rarity for me to even follow up in a thread unless i intend to post. I'm sure a lot of people looked at the folio, saw what was wrong, read your response to chris and walked off. You may soon find out the game art community is _NOT_ very large. Good luck with that.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    this guy had the crappiest attitude iv ever seen !
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I love polycount
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    What the hell just happened here? Bahhh, I guess I can fill in the gaps...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    wow...i missed it all. I checked out his site. Was gonna offer some feedback. Saw what he had said and decided to wait a bit so i wasn't a total harsh dick and then he well... I guess all I can say is good luck. I would hate to be his art director and crit something or send it back to him and say this is shit fix it.

I would probably end up with 20 bullets in my body.

Ok what's next? Ahhh yes..Crysis...
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    dude if your gonna be affraid because your getting some opinions dont delete posts, dude im known for having the SHITEST website on here (see my sig)

Its like I told a buddy of mine, anything that takes more than 2 seconds and I have to scroll is never a good website for games.

Considering the game industry is made of nothing but people who are in a hurry to see the visuals (tighten the graphics) website needs to be similar.

ok you can do some nice stuff in illustrator and such, cool

Also yes schools give you a crop of shit 99% of the time because your paying these guys paychecks.

Honestly, I hear about the best talent coming from my school all the time, and only 2 of them have jobs in the game industry by this point, and both were not ass kisses or anything like that....there was a 3rd but he didnt get a job till a bit later....and only after he strengthend his skills up some.

Well man look case and point, If you look at something ive done based off just a year / 2 years ago versus now (check my website versus pimping and previews stuff)

you can see the jump in quality, and its because ive listended to people on these forums who know what there talking about.

Trust me I aint some newbie telling you to tighten the graphics,

Im telling you as a student to stop listening to school and listen to REAL talent (mainly the ones in the game studios who work on real games who post here)

Anyway my 2 cents, take it as you will
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I had to guess, he's not reading this anymore :-P or at least not gonna post.

However, in the case you are still reading James, I gotta say a couple things. A) If you plan to eventually work in the games industry, you are going to need to have the ability to take feedback, and critiques. Honestly, Chris' post was not "Harsh" but honest rather. There's a difference. If Chris were to say "it all sucks" but give no follow up advice, then Chris would be the asshole. However, he gave constructive criticism, and explained to you the reasons behind what he said, and gave you tips on how to make it work. You will be lucky to find someone on your jobsite who will take the time give as much feedback on your work as Chris, or another member on this forum would. So get used to it, because there's a good chance when you do land your first job in the industry, they may just say "hey, this is not how we want it, do it again" and if you get all moody with them, well, I'd bet getting your portfolio ready again.
    B) You really want to work in the game industry? Because based on your attitude I've seen here, you'd get eaten alive with other people in the industry. We thrive on the noobs who can't take a joke. Yes, I admit we're jerks wink.gif but a person who can't take a joke and roll with the punches just makes that much more of a desirable target for more jokes. Relax, lighten up, and don't be so childish (like deleting your posts for example). I've been doing art for 10 years almost, I feel like my work is still on the lower end of what it could be, and of the talent on this forum, so when i post any of my work, I'm prepared to receive a lot of comments and critiquing that is going to make me feel dumb at first, but the only way I will improve is by keep practicing, and learning from those more talented and experienced than me.

I'll end my ramble now. You just need to not take these comments as hostile and cold hearted, but take them as people here would like to help you (or did) and sugar coating is the worst thing for you.

J
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone I am still reading it only because I was unable to delete the entire thread. It was not constructive...and I must have come off wrong to some people and I didn't want that reflecting in some thread on a web site. I do not frequent this site...I was brand new, I don't do video game art nor am I seeking employment in the gaming industry. I just had an appreciation for all the outstanding low polygon work on here....so I thought I would throw in my own 3d work. I am not currently a student, I haven't been for a little while. It seems that people here don't even care to know me...and yes you are right they do come off very rude right off the bat, a major reason I would not want to work in the gaming industry. No one should have to deal with rude directors or bosses. I have done print graphic design for 10 years and if someone is rude we wont be working together, period. Comments like "this guy had the crappiest attitude ever" are not constructive...and I did not have the crappiest attitude ever. I am attached to my work, I will defend it and I will also take in critiques. People in this thread acted as if their word was god and it isn't...my stuff had been critiqued so far by people who modeled and worked on the Matrix Revolutions, Big Fish, etc....so no lack for professional experience. I come into this thread and immediately I do not see or get professional courtesy. I get rudeness and snideness...you DO NOT go to an art gallery, stand in front of an artist's piece, with him there and say "I don't like it" or "it stinks"....it's rude. I don't care if you are an art director or an HR person, it doesn't mean I have to take junk from you. Life is way to short to have creativity squashed and one's soul squashed by someone who feels they define art. Art is subjective, so your opinions are just that. I posted a non-agressive intro for my web site...I wasn't asking for critiques, I just wanted to share. I got rudeness and snideness. Made me honestly feel like I was dealing with some 14 yr old kid. Good luck to those who pursue this industry and are willing to put themselves through being treated like that. In all my meetings with clients..if someone did not like a design they found a tactful and respectful way to word it to let me know...i.e. asking me if I could make some changes. Not "I don't like it". Seems to me you guys' industry is so jaded and goes so fast, no one cares at all for the person or the actual work put into the art. No one cares to get to know anyone on a forum before the post some rude stuff...it's just too east to say what you like without ettiquete online these days...it honestly is. I am in no way wrong here, this stuff is common sense and I know everyone reading knows what I am sayin is true. I would have deleted the thread entirely but could not find a way..I wasn't being childish, I was running away. The thread was filled with rudeness and was spiralling out of it's intent, like it is right now even after I deleted posts. People in there who cant even read my posts are making assumptions off the other posts in a "group think" way....its ridiculous. There was no forward progress in the thread, it wasn't constructive anymore...my comments and defending my work were taken the wrong way, as if I didn't know how to take a critique and it seemed that not a person even read that this site and work had been through more critiques than I can count by professionals. So at this juncture I was kind of done with the critiquing part and moving on as I am now. I apologize for pissing anyone off that I did....though I was not attitudish or aggressive in any of my responses....in fact I could throw the "sensitivity" response right back at plenty of these folks....they say I can't take a critique, but find all kinds of connotation and hidden meaning that offends their sensibilities in my responses. It's ridiculous.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hi everyone I am still reading it only because I was unable to delete the entire thread. It was not constructive...and I must have come off wrong to some people and I didn't want that reflecting in some thread on a web site. I do not frequent this site...I was brand new, I don't do video game art nor am I seeking employment in the gaming industry. I just had an appreciation for all the outstanding low polygon work on here....so I thought I would throw in my own 3d work. I am not currently a student, I haven't been for a little while. It seems that people here don't even care to know me...and yes you are right they do come off very rude right off the bat, a major reason I would not want to work in the gaming industry. No one should have to deal with rude directors or bosses. I have done print graphic design for 10 years and if someone is rude we wont be working together, period. Comments like "this guy had the crappiest attitude ever" are not constructive...and I did not have the crappiest attitude ever. I am attached to my work, I will defend it and I will also take in critiques. People in this thread acted as if their word was god and it isn't...my stuff had been critiqued so far by people who modeled and worked on the Matrix Revolutions, Big Fish, etc....so no lack for professional experience. I come into this thread and immediately I do not see or get professional courtesy. I get rudeness and snideness...you DO NOT go to an art gallery, stand in front of an artist's piece, with him there and say "I don't like it" or "it stinks"....it's rude. I don't care if you are an art director or an HR person, it doesn't mean I have to take junk from you. Life is way to short to have creativity squashed and one's soul squashed by someone who feels they define art. Art is subjective, so your opinions are just that. I posted a non-agressive intro for my web site...I wasn't asking for critiques, I just wanted to share. I got rudeness and snideness. Made me honestly feel like I was dealing with some 14 yr old kid. Good luck to those who pursue this industry and are willing to put themselves through being treated like that. In all my meetings with clients..if someone did not like a design they found a tactful and respectful way to word it to let me know...i.e. asking me if I could make some changes. Not "I don't like it". Seems to me you guys' industry is so jaded and goes so fast, no one cares at all for the person or the actual work put into the art. No one cares to get to know anyone on a forum before the post some rude stuff...it's just too east to say what you like without ettiquete online these days...it honestly is. I am in no way wrong here, this stuff is common sense and I know everyone reading knows what I am sayin is true. I would have deleted the thread entirely but could not find a way..I wasn't being childish, I was running away. The thread was filled with rudeness and was spiralling out of it's intent, like it is right now even after I deleted posts. People in there who cant even read my posts are making assumptions off the other posts in a "group think" way....its ridiculous. There was no forward progress in the thread, it wasn't constructive anymore...my comments and defending my work were taken the wrong way, as if I didn't know how to take a critique and it seemed that not a person even read that this site and work had been through more critiques than I can count by professionals. So at this juncture I was kind of done with the critiquing part and moving on as I am now. I apologize for pissing anyone off that I did....though I was not attitudish or aggressive in any of my responses....in fact I could throw the "sensitivity" response right back at plenty of these folks....they say I can't take a critique, but find all kinds of connotation and hidden meaning that offends their sensibilities in my responses. It's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weren't you in the military? I mean seriously. I would like to know how you handled being yelled at by drill instructors and by your superiors. I couldn't imagine having this attitude when I served because that is what gets people killed BUT thats a completely different topic.

I think you are really missing the point of what everyone tried to say. You gotta take a joke and realize that most of us here are some of the most sarcastic people you will meet.

When you post something for review you do open it up for review and critique. Why else would you post it? And not looking to work in the game industry well your profile says "FREELANCE 3D ARTIST" so you are trying to do something with 3D.

And quoted from your web site. "My goal this year in Sept. 2007 is to obtain initial employment with a visual effects or game production studio as a high or low resolution modeler, texture artist or environment artist"

Anyways I think you need to roll with the punches and just suck it up. There's no crying in Polycount.
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would also like to add, I tried to show that I wasn't pursuing the gaming industry. I told you all I had an interview at Zoic Studios on Friday....that's commercial, TV and film stuff. The folks at Zoic saw my web site, saw the work on it...they were able to navigate it fine and they liked it. I got the call that they screened my work and would like to have me come in for an in-person interview. So do you see my point here...Zoic are major players in the field of VFX and CG for film and TV and it shows you that is all opinion and subjective...THEY liked it enough to call me personally and schedule an interview. Isn't getting hired the entire point folks...I mean it really is. I am able to find work now, my work is on the level to get called for interviews, so of course I will defend it. It was honor just to be selected by Zoic based off my work.....I come in here in these threads, I don't get the sense I am dealing with professionals at all because of the rudeness and wording. That's all I am saying folks...you have to consider how you come off too, not just the respondent.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    this is a place for honest critiques, not sugar-coated touchy-feely artsy-fartsy back rubbing

edit: also, this thread is awesome.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Haha. I love this place
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to add that Zoic is not the only offer since being graduated one month. I turned down a position in military sim with Harris Corp doing Geospatial modeling because I did not want to live in Palm Beach, FL. I wanted to get out of FL and I didnt really want to do military sim in the first place. I also turned down and offer by Full Sail to work in their game design program modeling and texturing assets for the students to use. I have already begun doing freelance with clients I have gathered for years.
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg,

Well obviously I dont need these types of "critiques" or just plain rudeness as I like to call it to get job leads...thank god the entire industry of CG work in general is not made up of these types of people.
  • Straws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Straws polycounter lvl 18
    Do us a favor. When you go into Zoic studios for your interview ask them how the website was. Ask them everything you asked us and see how they respond. Regardless of what is on the website itself, you need to realize it needs design help.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok you post some shit claiming your gonna get a job, why you going to get pissed at us if we tell you the truth based off bigger companys

no offense someone who works at like I dunno........

EA studios VS zoic (and seriously WTF? Is a zoic, isnt that some shit shaggy says? ZOICS?!)

If your going to defend yourself for every single thing when people on here in almost the entire thread have said things that needed improving. Including your attitude towards criticism.

Be glad its ONLINE and not in real life where this is happening.

If you cant deal wit that

Then dont bother to post here anymore.

And seriously you dont wanna work in the gaming industry, why the hell post in a Video game modeling based forum?

Fucking oximoron
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JessyMoody,

You make good points lol...you really do. Yes I was a US Marine until 2006. I did do very well in the Marine Corps because I can take getting yelled at and following orders. My wife is even a US Marine....so you tell me about the getting yelled at lol. Yes my resume says that because it doesn't fully reflect my intent right now...it was a general resume made up with career dev. dept at the school. I honestly am seeking any kind of CG work honestly...but I read and see some pretty nasty stuff coming from the gaming industry (EA Spouse) and stuff like that. Folks in the gaming industry tend to be a little more sarcastic too as you put it. I don't know it doesn't seem professional to me and I have had hundreds of client meetings for graphic design clients. There isn't a need to be rude or sarcastic...how about polite, sincere and not snide. I guess the worst part it doesn't come as sincere...it's not touchy feely crap lol...it's called being a professional. I get the sense that contained inside the gaming industry is a set of unspoken rules that you guys follow by...I am not privvy to that yet.
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seforin,

See you type and sound like a 13 yr old kid who is angry at his parents. It's sounds ridiculous and highly unprofessional...I can guarantee in your post that you are not a professional. I wouldn't want to work with someone with your attitude honestly. It's terrible man. I did nothing to you at all except attempt to share my stuff. I appreciate your tact and professionalism there bud. I posted in here because I didn't feel Cg work should be limited...and that we can enjoy each other's work. I love the low poly stuff that is in here and the artful texturing. We both texture our stuff so there are commonalities. You guys do some amazing tricks visually with textures. I love it.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no problem, now stop posting already

ZOICS!

scooby_65_cvr.jpg

OH and yea FYI , as unporfesional as you think I sound I work in a game studio workin on a XBL title At the moment as well as a few casual games, and im still in school for the next 6 months doing so.

You went from someone who I wanted to help to someone who I wish I had the ability to virtual kick to the groin.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    HR and clients wont give a crap who you are or your aspirations or whatever, they want the job done with good quality period , the moment you start to whine like you did her is the moment youll have doors slammed on your face.

You posted your portfolio to share (althou its a portfolio for freelance according to you, to fish potential employers ), ok , so people here decided to tell you what is wrong and could be improved in order to easy up your job seeking, but sicne it is rude to point out mistakes and you prefer everything sugarcoated , then there is no hope for you.

Your work is mediocre , your website is mediocre , fix it or go make ilustration.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to continue posting about who wants to interview you, maybe you should start a new thread in General Discussion. There's nothing being pimped or previewed here anymore.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 17
    i am coming into this thing a little late so your work is not up any more. but i think this is all just a case of misunderstanding. if you were a lurker on this forum for a while(thats a term, not dissing at all) you would see that this is the reason we come here. we are the people who get more motivated off of harsh crits. this isnt really a place to come in and share, people dont really do that here unless they have been around for a while. if you are just looking to put your stuff up i would suggest 3d total or cgtalk, they aren't as mean as around these parts. we are assholes, and we thrive off of other assholes, the fact is that if you are happy where you are and just want to hear praise, than you are not pushing yourself.

i hope all goes well at zoic, i have some friends doing concept and workin on some projects there, its a good studio
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weren't you in the military? I mean seriously. I would like to know how you handled being yelled at by drill instructors and by your superiors. I couldn't imagine having this attitude when I served because that is what gets people killed BUT thats a completely different topic.

I think you are really missing the point of what everyone tried to say. You gotta take a joke and realize that most of us here are some of the most sarcastic people you will meet.

When you post something for review you do open it up for review and critique. Why else would you post it? And not looking to work in the game industry well your profile says "FREELANCE 3D ARTIST" so you are trying to do something with 3D.

And quoted from your web site. "My goal this year in Sept. 2007 is to obtain initial employment with a visual effects or game production studio as a high or low resolution modeler, texture artist or environment artist"

Anyways I think you need to roll with the punches and just suck it up. There's no crying in Polycount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're the one being an ass here. People were trying to give you feedback, because they thought you were work (or site) wasn't what it has the potential to be. Whether or not you are LOOKING for critiquing, or just showing your stuff off, you should always be willing to accept it. Don't make excuses, if someone has a valid view, don't shrug it off and say "oh, well my professor said..." that's just BS.

And btw, at the end of your paragraph on "The Artist" section on your site, you say "My son will be able to go to school and tell his friends his daddy
    works on video games or motion pictures. Pretty cool stuff."
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well thats what I said from the beginning Funka, but they told me to now delete my posts and wanted to drag this out. I got completely twisted by some bored people who clearly are in here lying about how they are...theyre not professionals by any means. I have dealt with professionals and they don't act immature...they READ, in which I did accept the critiques, but like children they didn't read that post or clearly forgot. Everyone in here jumped on the bandwagon and got into "group think". I should have known that professionals wouldnt have the time time to be trolling forums trying to get rid of new competition like myself...they would be WORKING. You folks who posted in here show your true colors. I do have an interview at Zoic, they told me they liked the web site a lot in fact, it's why they called me back. They loved the minimalist design and interface...it's easy to use, loads fast and my work is clearly labeled. You guys acted like whiney pansies about this that or the other thing on my web site....when in reality none of you are web developers and I have had my site critiqued through a professional web developer. Not to mention I have probably been doing digital art and design longer than most the kids in here. You folks that have the bad attitude, good luck to you...you are so jaded by looking these forums that you can't see beyond your face. I will be working out there with you somewhere at some point as all skill levels and personalities are working in this industry. You will see me, maybe you can act immature to me in person lol....
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok dude you made your point already, your professional blah blah blah

who has a job in the end,

hey polycount guys raise your hands

*raises hand*

scoobydoo2_2.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    < real life

> the internet
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid...your post really made sense to me. You have no idea how I appreciate your honesty. I wish someone like you could have posted that to me from the get go...I would have known I was clearly in the wrong spot. I post on CGtalk alot and I never have had an issue like this...to me it reflects negatively on this forum and site. I realize now from your post that it's how you guys interact with one another...I just stepped into something I am not part of. It's great that you guys have a place to drive each other like that... and to be blunt with each other. Maybe a warning sign for the forums lol? For the new folks. I stepped into a minefield man, thank you very much giving me the layout. I appreciate it man.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "I should have known that professionals wouldnt have the time time to be trolling forums trying to get rid of new competition like myself...they would be WORKING."

AHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously awesome ahahaha !!!
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 17
    shit mother fuckers, i should be a hostage negotiator and shit, i handles some business up in here.

oh and seforin, do some research kiddo, zoic did all the special fx for serenity, battlestar galactica and is one of the top special fx houses.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Pfft yeah, since when did PROFESSIONALS frequent online forums? This guy is totally right...
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    shit mother fuckers, i should be a hostage negotiator and shit, i handles some business up in here.

oh and seforin, do some research kiddo, zoic did all the special fx for serenity, battlestar galactica and is one of the top special fx houses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I know there a big company, I just wanted this guy to listen to some other peoples advice was all laugh.gif

Well whatever, case and point, big misunderstanding harsh things where said and things are done.

Dude no offense to you or anything, just understand on polycount we try to give you advice off the bat even if its harsh, to respond negatively to it only gets alot of people on here more annoyed when everyone is only trying to help you from the begining
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jie.. i´m with ferg .. i´m not a fan of the "amerikan-way"
    only real crit brings you forward
    (doesn´t mean you have to be rude)

and james.. if you don´t like to hear other peoples opinion about your work than write _you won´t hear any opinion_ and if someone still writes something than dont-care and if you still have problems than dont-post

here are realy some people trying to help you by giving you some tips

but even if you don´t care:

your technical stuff ist realy cool but i would put it in front of the military guy especially the face does´t hold the level of your other work, so puting it a bit in the background might be helpfull
    you have made it right on the cover of your reel.. so why not on the webpage too?

the page itself doesn´t work for me realy well

i would suggest making all thumbs on one site (and loose this scroll-thing on the left) and i would make them bigger. I would also loose this flash-gallery stuff.. havn´t seen one flash gallery i ever liked, its always slowing things down than speeding it up.. i mean.. i want to see the pictures.. not the galery...

and saying "i don´t care because other people who are soooo pro told me my stuff is cool" sound bit like "but my father said.. >p"

i think even the most stupid person can critique a film in one sentence that had cost millions of dollars with thousands of people working on it for years..

a pro can tell you if your work ist technically good.. but not that it is.. GOOD .. not more than the most supid person smile.gif
  • James Arndt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Professionals "frequenting" forums is different than professionals "trolling and flaming" on forums man lol. Look I am laying down my sword and waving a white flag. I know what needs to be fixed on my site and my work and I fully intend on making those fixes. These critiques came from this thread....it just came off wrong to me okay. Again I am asking for peace and I can leave peacefully and without fighting. I apologize directly right now to those that I offended by sounding haughty or beyond reproach....I am not experienced and I have much experience and improvement to go....my first reel I will look back when I am at my 3rd generation reel and see how how sucky my first one was. But folks at some point now I have to job hunt and use the reel I have right now..I could work on it forever, but I have to stop at some point and get a job. I only through out my Zoic interview and my graphic design history in defense...not to be haughty.. I was trying to do damage control and stick up for myself. I am sorry to have wasted you guys time and offended some of you to boot. I want a future in CG and I will have it sometime soon....I want to get along with a team and I can take critiques.. I can adjust work to someone else's vision. I am NOT the dirtbag that came across in these forums. **lays down sword**
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While it would be nice to read the whole thread so I can understand your rebuttal, I'm starting to get a sense of who you are based on the monster posts you haven't deleted, yet...

It doesn't surprise me that Zoic didn't bring up your site design. Their site isn't that different. It loads slowly, and the way the images are justified things pop around as they load. If they are fine with their company site being the way it is, I don't think they would find fault in yours, much less bring it up and risk insulting you.

Here's the deal, people won't tell you, your stuff stinks to your face (I'm not saying your stuff stinks). Just because someone doesn't bring it up the first time they met you, doesn't mean it wasn't an issue. "they liked it enough" so you're fine just towing the line? You want to do just enough to get by but no more? Just because they called doesn't mean they think you are a RockStar. Please don't walk in there thinking that they'll be begging you to work there and that your stuff is perfect. Be humble, be gracious if they praise you, but don't act like your shit doesn't stink unless your positive it doesn't and you know that attitude will help you in some way. More than likely they think you can do the job, and want to see what kind of person you are. If the guy that showed up in this thread walks into that interview, something tells me you'll walk out without a job.

VFX and game art are two separate animals. Please understand that when you march in with a VFX > Game Art, on a game art board you're going to get some dirty looks. Honestly VFX might get more glory but I honestly think it takes more skill to pull off real time games, especially as the gap between render farm generated images, and real time games closes. The games industry is closing fast on VFX and doing it in real time and getting it to run on a wide range of systems. It's one thing when someone matches your quality, its another when they do it faster, cheaper and more efficiently than you did.

If you're looking for VFX crits then I suggest finding another board that will give you what you need? Most of what people here will critique is how you made it, what its made of and how long it took you to make it. While VFX might only care about if the end result looks good. They won't care about a few extra thousand polys or huge inefficiently textures.

Polycount = honest critics
    just about every other site = smoke up your bum or no comments

It's obvious you wanted an ego boost before an interview, and are a touch pissed you didn't get one.

Polycount is a community of game artists, if you aren't interested in being a game artist why post your portfolio for crits? If you felt the crits where harsh or not constructive then don't expect to progress very fast or to have other people rush to help you. I don't mind helping people or teaching them new things but if after a few times they bite the hand that feeds them, I stop the flow of nourishment.

You seem like you could be a good guy, and it may have been a misunderstanding that brought you to polycount, lord knows the site doesn't have a clear mandate. The only way you would have known what people where going to say would be to have been here a while or skim through other "heres my portfolio" threads.

I bet if you get a handle on the way you deal with crits, and you stick around you could improve greatly and by doing so increase your marketability. But who really needs a fresh set of experienced eyes to look at something objectively?
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Not to mention I have probably been doing digital art and design longer than most the kids in here."

Bob Barker did the Price is Right for like 25 years, doesn't necessarily mean he's a great actor. While experience is important, I still see LOTS of professionals in both film and game industry who don't have a lot of talent. Your work wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I'm just saying don't go all "I'm superior because I've been doing it longer" on us.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    "I should have known that professionals wouldnt have the time time to be trolling forums trying to get rid of new competition like myself...they would be WORKING."

... wait... all those critics i recived for the past couple years... it was all lies?! God, you polycounters are evil, and ugly too.
This discussion has been closed.