Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Escapade: Iris

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Because Twist bones are just that, twist aids. These bones are for rotation help. Twist bones only aid in the rotation along the axis of the bones. This gives you a bone that is 50/50 between the two bones it's lying on. It prevents collapsing and holds volume. Unless Biped has another area to enable twist bones that I'm overlooking entirely, it can't turn on bones that function like these helper bones. Download and see!

poop.gif
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Looking rad. This could be your best character yet. Should be cool once it's textured.

Hand looks fine to me:
    peace.jpg
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    My hand cannot bend like the original hand is. Lotek's paint over is correct.
    Can't wait to see this textured.
    Are you going to approach this in a cel shaded manner?
    B
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Ok i AM able to get my hand to pose like sinistergfx, however it does not feel natural at all.
    Hurts like a bitch to pose like that.
    B
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    cel shaded would be cool ben . maybe a skin variation ? awesome model and rig , what do those helpers do actually ben ?
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    As I told you before, this looks fantastic. Lots of character.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    That's just naturally how I would do a peace sign.

OMG not everyone is the same! :P
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Astrofra polycounter lvl 15
    Hej Poop !!! Nice to see this coming along.
    I can't help being touched by the expression of her face, even though there's no texture yet. I'm awaiting her face to appear as I would be impatient of having her photo to arrive in my mailbox smile.gif
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    Nice Poop I dig that face, nice assymetry and the posing is nice and fluid...:-D
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    hot! cant wait to see the texture treatment!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    per: but what are friends for, if not to make stupid crits that will get ignored anyway? laugh.gif

alright now you're really baiting us poop, i really would like to see the face texture right about now smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should probably have posted texture wips, but I waited till I was done. I'll be making little polishing passes in the future, but for now I'm moving on to her animations and nailing down her movements in the game.

If you do want to see the texture stages, just change the jpeg name to 1-12.

iris_13.jpg

poop.gif
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Anatomy and painting seems a bit weird on her lower back, and I'm not a big fan of the bugged out eyes. They make her look a lot older. Overall it's pretty cool, though. Nice work. smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Uhgg... please change the face skin! What used to be a really sweet face with the mesh only somehow transformed into "that crazy bitch next door" frown.gif
    I am digging it otherwise though...nice to see something colorfull on polycount for a change.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, it'd be cool if you lowered the top eyelids just a tad bit to remove the crazy look.
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    me: face looks cool cool.gif and completes the character in the right way. great work!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What used to be a really sweet face with the mesh only somehow transformed into "that crazy bitch next door" frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

from what I know that was exactly what he wanted to do

Same crit remains dude, add that dark line around the eyes so that those eyelashes feel more naturally attached to the eyelid.
    cool shit
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Same crit remains dude, add that dark line around the eyes so that those eyelashes feel more naturally attached to the eyelid.

[/ QUOTE ]

yarp. my crit as well.

other than that, I like it.

you know i'd bang her
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhhh hope this helps, still very manish and just generally a bit wierd, get some ref dude.
    getsomereference.jpg
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    That is the single gayest thing i have ever seen in my life.

I love it.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    lol
    it *is* pretty gay... smile.gif

the texture work is some of ur best poop, deffinitely improvement both in colors and pixel pushing
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Is that Chris Crocker?
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work poop, you have outdone yourself this time!
    i love the lower back dimples, those are definitely something i find sexy in a girl.
    the face weirds me out though, EQ's looks a bit better but hey its all up to you ultimately.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Uhhh hope this helps, still very manish and just generally a bit wierd, get some ref dude.
    getsomereference.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like this paintover turned a whacky, interesting, cute chick into a plain-jane. If you read the game description, it's obvious she's on shrooms. Her look is totally appropriate. tongue.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Neat stuff indeed. I'd say keep the original crazy drugged out eyes, and use eq's painted lips/cheeks/chin. i think all her character is in the eyes, but the wonkiness is in the lips, so a compromise would best suit her, i think.

i really like the raver type of style she has. the glow sticks are a nice touch wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Bags of character as always poop, and really nicely executed. Honestly I really wouldn't tweak her face too much. There's some really great stuff going on there. Just pull in those lashes closer to the eyes, *always* emphasise the upper lashes, and clip the bottom of the iris against the lower lid so she doesn't look *quite* so starey eyed. My turn for the paint!

iris.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Daz has pretty much nailed it with that paintover.
    Stunning character, poop. Really top notch work from you as always.

-caseyjones
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Great job man, it still looks kinda tidy despite a total colour overkill. As for the eyes, I'll have to disagree with DaZ. If I had to pick the most interesting looking option in the paintover I'd go with the left one. I used to be very unsure about the eyes as well when I saw them in earlier WIPs but I've since grown pretty accustomed to them and think they should stay like that. That wild shroomy gaze is what makes the character interesting and unique, especially because of the 'detached' lashes.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the paintovers guys. I was going for a specific look, half hot, half tragic druggy. This is my ref.

iris_ref.jpg

I do like what you emphasizing the upper lashes did though Daz, so I'm gonna try to work that in tonight, as well as the eyeliner suggestion from vahl/sectaurs.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

poop.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    freaky chix

you should have posted that ref before dude, makes criticizing easier.
    I think Daz's paintover is a bit closer to that picture than your otiginal skin, but quite not there, even though it feels more natural
    if you look at your ref, she's obviously staring on 4 pics out of the 5 shown, the fifth being closer to a normal facial expression so I think you may want to go closer to that one and then add the stare facial expression, that would make it easier to switch to different expressions too with a neutral base.

keep it up dude smile.gif
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goddamn, the chick in the reference is creepy. ooo.gif

Creepy-stare aside, she's looking good. Lots of character, and something about her makes her look less like your average "punk-rocker-who-needs-attention-and-desires-to-be-different." laugh.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this project unfold.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha that's cool!
    Now I'm curious about these backgrounds and levels that you are going to do for her.

Good luck for this project!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    looking awesome pimm
  • Piotr Słomowicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piotr Słomowicz polycounter lvl 17
    Man that is some creepy stare.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creepy-chan! Well it looks like you took the half creepy part but forgot the half-hot. Pushing the forms too much so it's so over exaggerated theres no possibility for it to be attractive. If you look at your refs there, her forms are a bit more subtle.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    wacko ref!
    hey man, i think you could really push what you got if you took some time and examined the jaw/cheek area of your ref, even up under the lips, around the chin. i feel you just filled in "whats in your head" and ignored the ref. girls dont have all that jowl detail, its more soft and curvy. to give girls the chiseled look, focus more on the cheek bones and concave cheeks, not so much the fat bags and pooches in and around the mouth area.. remember, girls are soft like pillows, guys are jaggy like rocks.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    wacko ref!
    hey man, i think you could really push what you got if you took some time and examined the jaw/cheek area of your ref, even up under the lips, around the chin. i feel you just filled in "whats in your head" and ignored the ref. girls dont have all that jowl detail, its more soft and curvy. to give girls the chiseled look, focus more on the cheek bones and concave cheeks, not so much the fat bags and pooches in and around the mouth area.. remember, girls are soft like pillows, guys are jaggy like rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto
  • kinikuR6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the fact that you decided to give your female character a much more unique look rather than the typical "supermodel chic" look. Don't pretty her up at all, it'll only make your character more generic looking and forgettable. Keep up the good work.
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    I appreciate the paintovers guys. I was going for a specific look, half hot, half tragic druggy. This is my ref.

iris_ref.jpg

I do like what you emphasizing the upper lashes did though Daz, so I'm gonna try to work that in tonight, as well as the eyeliner suggestion from vahl/sectaurs.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

poop.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually caused by the disease Hyperthyroidism.. Not drugs
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think those are example of hyperthyroid stare.

it usually looks more fucked up than that.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    you know I think I prefer 09 and 12, the hood gives her a sort've hunched "freaked out" look, but at the same time, I feel like it's breaking the form with the thin long limbs vs the lump around her neck. The face on 09 seems smoother to me because you put less detail on it. I think you lost something along the rendering stages. If I had to pick out the differences that strike me most. You warmed up the skin, and sharpened details around the nose, and added volumes under the lower lip, which changed her expression quite a bit. Conversely, the eyes seemed to have gotten murkier, especially the eyebrow, which seemed to be creating some good tension to draw the eye right to the face. Also the orange makeup creates contrast with the eyes (which is to be desired) but it just isn't quite.... I dunno.. it takes a second to think "What the?! oh.. makeup" ... (which I guess is also true in real life, haha), but maybe you could play with the values/hue to make that a little more apparent.

The other thing that is buggin me is the skin. She just seems to have too much shading information (TMsI?) going on at the back/shoulders, buttocks, and thighs.. especially the buttocks/lower back area. Just looks like soft brush strokes. The legs have shading going on above the stockings, which implies that the stockings are tight. I think this is what you are going for, but it's not quite registering that way. Just reads as an upside-down shadow pass. I think the reason for that is that it is very linear (and also done in texture, not geometry). You could possibly lower the contrast/depth of the shadow on less fatty portions of the thigh (outter/rear) and fluff it up more on the inner/fattier portions.

I don't mean to be a jerk. I can really enjoy this piece from 4-6 feet away, but when I get close these things pop out at me. Being as this is the main character... you won't be seeing her from 6 feet away, i don't imagine.

Hope that was more helpful than anything else. smile.gif Keep rock'n!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah yes, the face here does look way better, and matches the refernece. You went overboard with whatever you did after this point and it looks pretty bad.

iris_09.jpg
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude EQ, really. It seems like your goal is to bash whatever Ben does. Can't you just chill out and enjoy other's artwork without bashing it? You can even give critiques without sounding like a jerk and it would be considered constructive and helpful.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You can even give critiques without sounding like a jerk and it would be considered constructive and helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he thinks it looks bad, why should he lie and say differently? I agree that his critiques could probably be worded a bit more politely, but at least four people here have said the same thing, and I don't imagine anyone's feelings are going to get hurt because he used the word 'bad' instead of something more polite like ' it could use a little more work in ____ areas.' It gets the meaning across either way. Rude, I guess, but not enough to warrant derailing the thread and nitpicking his posting style.

... Oh, wait. I just did the same thing. blush.gif
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It gets the meaning across while making him look like someone I wouldn't enjoy working with if that's the way he offers critiques. My post is a critique of his critiquing. It's a good skill to be constructive in our industry, especially when posting to public boards.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    My post is a critique of his critiquing. It's a good skill to be constructive in our industry, especially when posting to public boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, it just seems like there's a better time and place (maybe even PMs) for such a critique.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right, I don't want to derail Ben's thread.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...but at least four people here have said the same thing....

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this doesn't mean anything, right? 500 people could say one thing, and if it runs counter to the artists intentions, it's a moot point. A lot of art has people who dislike it and people who like it, and any time you deviate from the accepted norm, you get a lot of people who decide they don't like it.

I'm taking the critiques in this thread that are trying to help me accomplish the look I set out for. The people who are trying to art direct my piece, while I appreciate their intentions, are not really helping, and I'm not going to follow their advice just because they posted on the internet.

This little update is for Vahl/Sectaurs and Daz's paintover. I finally managed to blend the eyelashes in a bit better. This is going to be the last I paint on it for a while, as I could tweak forever. I want to work on some animations and then possible polish more with fresh eyes in a week or so.

iris_14.jpg

poop.gif
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Poop: Originality in its glory and all that stuff, but fuck man. That faced turned out like a sack of shit to be honest.

It's not appealing in any way whatsoever, but if you really want to go with that look... make the face paler, add discolouration around the eyes and the whole hoolapalooza of stuff going on in the refs.

Thats my two cents anyways.

BAM!