Home Technical Talk

3d studio max 8 questions.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hello, after 8 years of using Maya I must use max for exactly one product cycle [insert sarcastic comment here]. I've got the draster plugin working and that is a huge help using the app and now I'm moving on to basic skills so I'll be posting questions in here frequently as you guys all own when it comes to Max. First question.

1. I would like to turn off use selection brackets in all the viewports and have this setting stick around, is there any way to do this? It keeps coming back every time I restart the app.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure if you save your UI as the start up or default UI it will remember this. You can also save any max file as maxstart.max in your scenes folder and it will load it each time max loads. I don't have a copy of max in front of me at the moment otherwise I would be more specific.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    J turns off the bracket around the selected object. I don't know if there's a way to make that the default.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you right click the viewport title and go to configure, there is an option to turn off selection brackets in that viewport.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    aha, there you go. save a maxstart.max in your scenes with brackets off and next time you start it will stick.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry can't use the max start up files as we will be getting files that already exist I'll see if I can save that custom ui thing as the default that would be really handy.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    question

2. How do I move the pivot point of the model, in maya I would just hold down the d key and move or snap the pivot.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    you can turn off the brackets when you first load the file; it'll stay off after you save the file and open it again.

you can moving pivot by moving the mesh in Object mode under Edit Poly/Mesh or go to the Heirarchy Tab in the Pivot panel and turn on Affect Pivot only, that lets you directly manipulate the pivot of the model.

Max9 and above has something about specifying arbitrary pivot for rotating; I think JJTools has something similar as well.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome got it pivot point moved mapped to d.

3. How do I center the pivot?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4. any way to turn on backface culling but still see the wireframe of the whole model?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5. any way to toggle between flat shaded and wireframe and map this to a hot key, I've found toggle shaded and wireframe but not flat lit and wireframe.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Awesome got it pivot point moved mapped to d.
    3. How do I center the pivot?

[/ QUOTE ] Hirearchy tab, affect pivot only, center to object.

[ QUOTE ]
    4. any way to turn on backface culling but still see the wireframe of the whole model?

[/ QUOTE ]Backface culling is for shaded/flat shaded view. Think of it as turning on/off 2 sided faces.

[ QUOTE ]
    5. any way to toggle between flat shaded and wireframe and map this to a hot key, I've found toggle shaded and wireframe but not flat lit and wireframe.

[/ QUOTE ] I think its 1,2,3, or F1, F2, F3 to toggle between those types of views.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm looking for a way to show wireframe + backface culled, I can do this in maya I'm not down with the not seeing verts if they are backface culled pretty risky to model this way. Also I want to hot key some of the buttons under perspective view other category. Any ideas?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6. So to switch to wireframe in maya during modeling I just hit 4 on the keyboard at any time, in max it allows double hotkeys so while in modeling mode 4 does something completely different, what is the general workflow for switching between wireframe and other modes while doing modeling or does everyone just use the right click on the perspective view to change settings while in vert mode?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7. Is there any way to make the red icon semitransparent when extruding polygons on a model I can't seem to see through it when in wireframe mode.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    In response to question 6: F3 is the default toggle, regardless of what you're doing.

You can edit the hotkeys to make F3 toggle between wireframe/faceted or wireframe/smooth shaded, just open Customize -> Customize User Interface and look in the Keyboard tab, hit F3 in the "hotkey" field on the right.
    You'll see it's currently assigned to Wireframe/Smooth+Highlights Toggle.

If you select the Action list on the left and type "wire" it'll bring you to the full list of wireframe/etc. toggles. Just assign whatever keys you want there.

Regarding question 7: What do you mean by the "red icon" - you mean it's highlighting the whole selected face red? You can toggle that on and off while you're extruding (or at any time really) by hitting F2, it's the default hotkey to toggle "Shade Selected Faces", which I think is what you're talking about.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep there is no option under the wireframe/shaded to do wireframe/flat shaded so I am not sure how to hotkey this as it does not appear in the actions list.

8. Where is the polycount display so I can see how many verts I have selected?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You want to turn on "edged faces" when in flat shaded or smooth shaded views. This too can be toggled and bound to a key (if it isn't already)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep already got it on but you can't see them in backface culled normals.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    what's the point of backface culling if you can still see the wireframe? :P
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I can tell if the normals are fucked but still see the edges and verts so I can tell what I'm doing.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9. how do I snap 3 or more verts to a single point? Max seems to maintain their original spacing instead of collapsing them to a single point, is there a toggle for this somewhere?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heheh, I don't think you need to worry so much about normals being fucked in Max, in my experience it is far too easy to do weird things with normals in Maya... Max doesn't tend to have those issues most of the time. If you're using Editable Poly to model with, it's a lot more difficult to create degenerate/non-manifold geometry than it is in Maya. You pretty much have to actively try in order to screw up a polymodel's normals.

However if you really want to see the backfaces of wireframes, you have to turn off Backface Culling On Object Creation (located in Customize -> Preferences -> Viewports tab). If you've already created an object, just righ-click on it and go to Properties, and un-check Backface Cull.

If this doesn't do what you want then I'm not quite sure what you're after, or why you'd need it. I've been modelling in max for years with backface culling turned on, and I can't remember a single instance of this ever meaning I missed any mesh/normals errors.

Regarding your question 8: You can toggle a viewport display of triangle count by pressing 7 (I think this might actually be assigned to count "polys" instead of "tris" by default, if this is the case then assign the hotkey 7 to "Triangle Counter" using Customize User Interface).
    You can see how many verts you have selected in the right panel (Editable Poly, Selection rollout, the one at the top). If you have one vert selected it will tell you the vertex number, more than one and it will tell you how many you have.
    I think Juan Martinez (monster on these forums) wrote a Maxscript that works more like Maya's heads-up display to show tris/edges/verts in the viewport, maybe hit up his site for that.

Edit: I misinterpreted your question 9, I'll do a little checking and get back to you on that.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll take a picture of the backface cull thing I'm after and post it later from home I don't like selecting verts by mistake because I can't see them because they are backfaced culled.

10. How do I turn off the grid in the uv editor, it is blue and makes it hard to see what I'm doing I don't use the grid in maya either.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah yeah, I understand what you mean about the backface selection stuff now, yeah that can get a bit annoying. You should try Lightwave, it's got an awesome feature where it will select verts BEHIND THE CAMERA (verts that aren't even on the screen). I say awesome feature I mean annoying as hell piece of crap smile.gif

However, you might want to check the box in the "Selection" rollout of the Editable Poly in the modify panel, that says "Ignore Backfacing". That way you won't be able to select verts that are facing away from the viewport. However you will still be able to select verts that are facing the viewport but are "behind" objects in your view.

In response to your question 10, you can fully customise the grid (and element) colours of the UV editor by going Options -> Advanced Options in the Edit UVWs window. There's a checkbox for "Show Grid" near the top where the colours are. The default colours are pretty stupid though, I always change them to a fairly neutral grey scheme with low contrast grid. You can set the grid spacing there too.

Edit: For your "vertex snapping" question, I'd probably just select all the verts I want to snap to a particular position, hit Collapse (bind a hotkey to Collapse since it's so useful), then just snap or target weld the resultant single vertex.
    There might be a way to do what you want natively, but I couldn't find it.

Something worth bearing in mind is that while you might love Maya and be used to its workflows, it's worthwhile to approach things from a different angle rather than trying to shoehorn all of your Maya workflows into the Max software. I tried that for a while when I was using Maya for a year and I had a much easier time when I just forgot all of the Max-specific workflow stuff and just got used to the way the Maya tools worked. It often works faster that way than trying to find ways to exactly replicate a different package's workflow. Then again you probably already know that wink.gif
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I've customized the uv interface and turned off all the undesireables, but I can't figure out how to get rid of that dark blue line that shows you where the 0-1 uv range is, any idea how to get rid of that?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, nope I don't think you can get rid of that frown.gif
    It should be dark grey though I think, does your monitor need calibrating (or does mine?!)?

Also you should play around with the "Freeform Transform" mode in the UVW editor, I don't think Maya has a manipulator like this, it works like Photoshop's free transform, pretty handy for quickly lining up extents and scaling a whole UV shell while keeping a corner or side locked.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah mine is dark blue, too bad I can't change the colour then I would just blend it in with the background.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Ignore backfacing is great I have a shortcut to it alt b because I use it all the time. One of things I can't live without when I go to another package and for some reason the stupid programmers decided to bury it under a bunch of menus and don't let you toggle it easily. Collapse is nice, I hate when other software don't have it, very annoying. Collapse is like having a weld at 100% and it will average the position of where the separate elements get positioned after the operation. I don't know if snapping verts together in Maya does the weld, so that's why I'm mentioning it. I'm not sure if that's what you are after when you mean snapping.
    When I need to align things quickly in Max I just use view align. It works by selecting a viewport and pressing the view align button after your make the selection. Collapse on edges behaves a little differently but in a good way. For example if you want to rid of few edge rings if you collapse them they will form a loop instead of collapse to one vert, so it make optimizing a model pretty easy when you want to average things out rather than just removing them at the spot they were in.

10. How do I turn off the grid in the uv editor, it is blue and makes it hard to see what I'm doing I don't use the grid in maya either.

To turn off that annoying grid, open the unwrap modifier go under preferences and there is a toggle for grid. turn it off. When you are done setting this to however you I suggest you go under options and select the save current savings as default, or you'll have to set up changes next time you start out max. Another thing you can do with it is lower the saturation of the color and change the color so it blends more with the uv window, since sometimes it's useful to have.

Alex
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    11. How do I change the hotkeys for undo in the uvw editor? I can't seem to find where to do this I've changed the hotkey for the regular ui but I can't figure out how to change it when the uvw window is open?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    12. How do I convert a one vertice selection to a shell like I would in Maya in the uvw editor?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    In response to 11:
    Changing the hotkey for Undo should also affect the Unwrap UVW editor.
    If it doesn't, that probably means that you have the same key assigned in the Unwrap UVW hotkey section. I'm assuming you re-mapped undo to Z. By default Z is set to toggle "Zoom" mode in UVW editor, so that will override the main scene command in this case.
    To fix it, go to Customize -> Customize User Interface, in the Keyboard tab, select "Unwrap UVW" from the "Group" drop-down list at the top, hit Z in the "hotkey" field on the right and it should say that it's assigned to Zoom. Select "Zoom" in the Action list and click "Remove" on the right to remove the Z hotkey. Then your undo should work fine.

In response to question 12:
    You don't "convert" a single vert selection to a shell like you would in Maya. Instead Max has a toggle for "select by element", which means that whatever vert/edge/poly you click on, it will select the whole shell attached to that vert. I have it bound to "ALT-S" so I can toggle the shell-selection mode on and off while working.
    If you want to hotkey it, go to Customize -> Customize User Interface, Keyboard tab, select "Unwrap UVW" from the "Group" drop-down list at the top, then look for TV Element Mode in the Action list and assign your hotkey to that.

I also recommend assigning your other Unwrap UVW hotkeys in the same area, for example all of the "TV Edge/Face/Vertex Sub-Object" mode, you can assign to number keys or F8-F10 whatever.
    Similarly the "Texture Vertex Move/Rotate/Scale" mode hotkeys I would assign to whatever you have set in the main UI too. For example I use Q W E to toggle move/rotate/scale.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah mine is dark blue, too bad I can't change the colour then I would just blend it in with the background.

[/ QUOTE ] Oh but you can. UVW Editor > Options > preferences > under the show grid check box, adjust the color until it fades away. Kind of weird you didn't already tweak that? Maybe you thought the other bright blue box was the bounding box?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    11. I don't think Max will let you set undo and redo just for the Unwrap or UVW modifier, a but it be interesting to find out. To find the shortcuts for things like the modifiers you need to go Customize/Customize UI/ go under group rollout and go to Unwrap UVW. Sometimes if what you are looking for isn't there you need to go back to Main UI as the group and look in the catergory. If no luck you might find what you want by setting the catergory back to all commands. That said Max will pay attention to some of the shortcuts in a certain order so it can be a pain to get what you set to work. Max goes as far as saying no shortcut is set at times, but if it is set, and to what it's set to is considered more important than the shortcuts you want, then what you set won't work. So you have to find the one that Max considers more important and unassign the shortcut given to it. By the way if you hold down shift while in move mode and uniform scale you can constriant it's effect to one axis, it will save you a shit load of time and having to change tools.

Heh it looks like Mop beat me to it. If you hold ctrl and select a sub object it converts your selection if you have the chuggnut unwrap tools, pretty handy.

Alex
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, nice one Vig, I didn't realise changing that would fade out the UV 0-1 range border.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    13. How do I uniform scale using the freeform tool in the uv editor?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    hold down ctrl and drag a corner. if you hold alt +ctrl and drag eevrything scales toward the center of the selection.

Alex
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys this is what I mean about backface culled wireframe my favourite mode to work in. Can I achieve this in max some how?

backfaceculledwireforthewinthumb_01.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well I think you are kind of in luck. Max now has a mode called hidden line. Leave backface cull on though so you can see the wireframe. An it's kind of like a flat shaded with 100% self illumination, so it's not exactly what you are looking for though, but you may like it.

You can try this if you feel, but I think it's a bit over the top. You can make a reference of your object. Then apply a wire material to the reference and turn off back face cull for that object. select the color you want the wire to be. Link it to the object you are going to model with, then freeze it. Go under the properties of the unfrozen object and turn on back face cull. If you move scale your object the frozen one will follow. The big draw back will be performance at some point and every time you collapse the stack you'll have to redo the setup.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sage: Hidden Line is only available in Max 9, Malcolm has said he's on Max 8.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hah, what a jackass I am... frown.gif Sorry I missed that statement about Max 8, Malcolm, honestly I don't know when they added that feature. You can go to customize/preferences/viewports/configure direct x driver and turn on show all edges. It will let you the bottom of the cube where there is a hole but not the lines that are vertical. The other thing you can do is apply the default material and turn up self illumination up on it until the outside and inside of the object looks like you want. Basically if you tweek it enough you can get the inside with backface cull turned off to blend more into the background but you will see the wires.

Alex
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    14. Anyone have problems using .psd textures? I've made a bitmap assigned a .psd to it made in photoshop cs2 and it has video corruption all over it. Even in the preview window it looks corrupted am I doing something wrong or is there a special trick to get .psd textures working? I have geForce7900 video card.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed, 3dsmax 8 does not support 16bit .psd files, sorry was using a texture from our last project.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    15. how do I do a planar map so the pixel density represents the shape of the object, in Maya there is an option tic box for this so if you planar map a square plane that is using a rectangular texture you don't get any stretching or squashing can I do this in max?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16. how do I constrain the quick slice tool to 45" angles?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    15. Max has an option in the uvw mod called Bitmap Fit (it's a button) all the way to the bottom in the alignment section, and it sets the gizmo of the texture support to match that of your texture. Also in the unwrap modifier under preferences if you have a custom size bitmap turn on the option to use custom bitmap size and you can specify the size to display, but I think you are wondering about the uvw map modifer I mentioned first.

Alex
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    17. How do I bevel an edge? Bevel only appears to work on faces and only has one segment?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    17) You chamfer edges =)
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Malcolm, sorry to butt in here, but I had a somewhat obscure max question (for me at least).

How do you allow geometry with a self illumination map to emit light? I've been able to do this in quake 2 editors in the past. I've tried following the Max user reference in conjunction with radiosity and using Advanced Lighting Override Material. For some reason, it's not working for me. Any help would be great!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora, did you set the base material to be 100% Self Illumination? Also you might need to bump the "luminance Scale" up to 1000. Also make sure reset the radiosity processing parameters and run it again. Also make sure the "Global Subdivisions Setting" is set to "enabled". Since Radiosity works better with dense meshes this will subdivide large polys around the lights so lighting is displayed better. It will only do this at render time or you might see it if you have "show radiosity in viewport" checked on but it won't effect your poly count.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chamfer doesn't have segment and does not round the edge, am I using the tool wrong. Maya has bevel edge and chamfer edge so I think the two might be completely different tools.

18. I've got the maxstart file working so it sets my working units but after Ctrl + n for new scene it does not load the file any way to get the file to work as a new scene as well?