Home Technical Talk

3d studio max 8 questions.

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Sorry figured out the chamfer tool, it's just not what I'm used to you have to tick the local button to get it to do a bevel.

19. I've had to set arbitrary working units in max to work on this project below you can see what I have to use.

Display Unit Scale: Metres

In System Units Setup

1 Unit = 1 Centimetres

This screws up the perspective view and makes objects clip out when you zoom in and out, is there a fix for this. The work around here is to work in user view. That's not really the best option when trying to model objects with correct perspective shape and scale.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    19) Right Click the viewport name "persective" and turn on "viewport clipping". It will give you a little yellow arrow/slider on the side of the viewport, dial it up and down to adjust the clipping distance =)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah tried this viewport clipping this morning before posting, it's not so much a clipping plane issue but a clipping issue when using the zoom tool, as if the clip plane is messed up due to precision error from working in this weird scale.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Malcolm,

Zoom in with the protractor tool as close to the mesh as you need, then zoom out with regular zoom.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Malcolm what you are describing sounds similar to when I model things at a certain size and max feels it's too small. When I was making models for the ogre 3d engine the models had to be a certain size so they would fit in the world, but if I made them the correct size for ogre the zoom in Perspective would be all messed up. I just ended up making the models in a "normal" size that I could zoom in and out without any problems in Max and then I scaled down to correct size so they wouldn't be like 1000 times larger once I brought them into ogre. The other thing I would do would be to go to user view because for some reason the zoom didn't get messed up, however I never liked modeling in user view in Max because I found it annoying. wink.gif You can try and zoom to your model with zoom extent selected while in user view and switch to perspective and see if it helps a little. After I did that the perspective view would work more or less fine, and redo it once it started acting up again.

Alex
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using the middle mouse scroll wheel to zoom? Try both and see what happens. If that doesn't work try walk thru mode to "move the viewport closer" instead of zooming it.

I know middle mouse scroll in perspective will slow down the closer it gets to an object. If you have nothing selected when you "middle mouse scroll zoom" it finds an invisible center point. If you use the normal zoom tool (little magnifying glass, lower right or hot key it) then it doesn't do that.

This is the reason I started using walk-thru mode to navigate around in perspective mode. It eliminated the freak zoom issues and it gave me VERY precise control over the view port camera since it works exactly like a FPS shooter camera does, minus the gravity.

I have walk-thru mode hot keyed to CTRL-C (I think the rest are defaults).
    When in walk thru mode;
    LMB + Drag = mouse look
    MMB + Drag = Pan
    RMB click = exits walk thru mode
    W = Forward
    A = Strafe left
    S = Back
    D = Strafe right
    Q = Toggle walk/run
    [ = Increase step size (speed)
    ] = Decrease step size (speed)

Zooming while in perspective mode is more like trying to magnify things to make them look bigger. You might be able to get around the issue by moving the viewport closer. I know it gets rid of the other annoying issue, zoom slow down the closer you get to an object.

Even if it doesn't solve your problem you might like walk thru mode for pushing that camera around?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scaling the models is not an option as they have history in the stack, we're using a proprietary tool to build terrain which relies on a really large scale or it will not work, and we are inheriting a pipeline from another team which requires us to work in this really large scale. The problem is much worse than the zoom tool clipping out, if you move an object away from the center of the world it loses precision very fast and slight translations result in huge snaps rather than per pixel mouse movements. If you put in the values I listed above for working units create a cube 8x8 and translate it along x away from zero in perspective view you can very easily recreate the problem.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like we are working in too big of a scale we are going to get this changed in the pipeline to fix the viewport clipping and the snapping inprecision when trying to move objects.