Home General Discussion

Web Hosting Discount for Polycounters

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
Ok I figured this would be a good place to share this since I know many of you like to find good hosts and save money as well so here is the info.

I setup a special discount / promo code at Dreamhost just for polycounters. It will save you over 82 bucks off the L1 (yearly) hosting plan.

This is for the same package I have. L1 which is 1 year of service, hosting, email, ftp, the works. I have the setup fee waived as well for ya. My total disk usage available for me is like 227 gigs. You get added space and bandwidth every month. It is insane. You get like 16 gigs of bandwidth added every week.

So here is the info.

Go to http://www.dreamhost.com

Your promo code is POLYCOUNTERS

Select the L1 (yearly) web hosting option. Using this code will knock the setup fee off the top and the cost will go from $ 119.40 all the way down to $ 37.40. Yeah thats right I just saved you $82.00

This promo code adds 1 extra FREE lifetime domain registration to any plan signed up for with it!

Enjoy my friends

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    WOW! Does this apply to overseas?
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I'm curious, how much is this saving you? I've been looking into dreamhost since I just bought a domain, but I don't have much content to put up on a site yet. But I've heard that if you refer people you get an amount taken off your bill, and if you get enough people referred you can get service for free. Not to sound argumentative or anything, just sounds like a shrewed ploy to get free hosting.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    TBH if someone was in the market for hosting anyway, why not go for the cheaper thing being offered here? If it saves you money and saves Jesse money, what's the problem? smile.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, a friend of mine got a few years free hosting from referrals, and those people got great discounts on service. It's win-win for everybody.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had Dreamhost for over a year now, the servers are slow, but with the massive bandwidth and server space I need, it was the only reasonable alternative that didn't have me paying like $100/month. The service has been very stable especially recently, they keep you actively informed of any downtime, upgrades, bugs, problems etc, and customer service is fast. And the company is quite cordial as well and collectively owned, as you can read on the blog and newsletters and whatnot (or they have a master marketing ploy smile.gif )

Very cool thing doing this Jesse, when I registered they had their 777 deal or whatever so I got my hosting for like $20 for the year. I'm up to more than 250GB or storage space and 3TB of bandwidth... yes it sort of gets excessive and pointless at a point but it doesn't hurt to have.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm curious, how much is this saving you? I've been looking into dreamhost since I just bought a domain, but I don't have much content to put up on a site yet. But I've heard that if you refer people you get an amount taken off your bill, and if you get enough people referred you can get service for free. Not to sound argumentative or anything, just sounds like a shrewed ploy to get free hosting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I don't know how much I get off and I really don't care. I've already paid for the full year a long time ago. I created the discount code with the most discount that could be applied possible so I wouldn't get a huge cut. That isn't why I was doing it to begin with.

I was just trying to help save some people some money and I know a lot of you guys that are new to the game need a site and why not get something thats fairly cheap and a good service.

Prof420... Yeah the servers were a bit slow at first but recently they have gotten much faster and the customer service is amazing and quick to respond. They also let you know about upgrades and issues with the server right no their front page so thats awesome.

The space and bandwidth is awesome and I know a lot of us that do tutorials, host files, etc this is really beneficial as the more space / band width we have the easier it makes our lives on us.

Snowfly.. I am pretty sure anyone can use this including people overseas.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for this, Jesse. Now comes the hard part: picking a domain-name. What's the deal with domain-parking anyway? Are you forced to buy that domain off of them? It seems even the least likely candidates are parked. It's a fucking annoyance.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    mightypea.com ? smile.gif
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Wasn't trying to accuse you or anything. I get a lot of calls and emails and such from recruiters/sales guys who are always trying to help and do something great for me, but they don't tell you that they're making some huge commision out of it and that I'm more of a means to an end. Guess I sorta thought the same deal when I first saw this. But that's really cool of you to set that up, may actually take ya up on it.

Pea, I think domain parking is just when a domain has been purchased but isn't linked to any specific site, so the place the domain was bought from puts up some basic parking page. I recently bought digitalharmony.org but I haven't gotten any hosting yet for it so it's currently parked.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's one of the options, yeah. I was thinking of Peasoup though, which is taken in .com, .net and .org.
    Then it's either mightypea or just my name. Then again, my last name is hardly the most memorable one, I'm afraid.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Is this deal long term? Or only for the first year? I have people that ask me about hosting, and I should be setting up a site for someone in the near future, who will need hosting. But it will be a professional site, so I need decent hosting and something that won't get jacked up after an introductory rate wink.gif
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its probably for only the first year. But you can't possibly call Dreamhost's prices jacked up for what they give you. Its a good deal however you cut it, can't really find one better, its just a bonus to save $100 or so when you sign up, think of it that way.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what the second year would be like but I can say that once you are a customer they treat you very well and it wouldn't go up much more than what you would pay without a discounted rate.

I wish I would have had a deal like this when I signed up but I still thought around 100 bucks was an amazing deal for a full year and the huge amounts of bandwidth they provided.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They charge you the full rate after the first year, its still a great deal.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Good fucking work Jesse! Mad props to you for setting this up.

-caseyjones
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Indeedy, it's a bit mad how it grows. Got my first year for $10 and stayed on a year after. Got 3TB bandwidth now and a few hundred gig of space, never had any problems with them at all.

Good stuff Jesse, I recommend this deal smile.gif. At least you could cancel after the first year, so you'd at least get a year for $32 which is great.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a little bump so people that missed this can see it.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using Dreamhost for about a year and a half and it is awesome. More than enough bandwidth, tools, etc for everything I need. One time the server I was on had some hardware issues so I sent in a support thingy saying I needed the fastest ninjas they had. I got an email back in under 5 minutes that had a paragraph explaining how awesome their ninjas are.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I've also been using dreamhost for about a year and a half now. I signed on for a deal like the one Jesse set up, paid 10 dollars for the first year, and then when that year ran out it was around $120 for the second year. Figure 5 bucks a month for two years of service if you average the two.

The service has been great, and the tools they provide are awesome.

1 click setup for blogging and forum software, and like Sonic said their support is awesome.
    I had a problem with billing after the first year where my credit card was stolen and a new one was being sent so I couldn't pay them on time. I emailed support the night before saying how I couldn't get them the money until my new card showed up, and how I really wanted to keep my email active. I got an email back in about 15 minutes and the guy said he put a 3 month hold on my billing and I could pay it anytime over that period.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Jesse: You are THE MAN, man. I am definitely signing up for this. In comparison, my current host is charging me 150.00 per year for a lousy 100 megs of storage. FUCK THAT and sign me up to dreamhost.

Thanks for doing this. I was just looking at their rates recently and thinking even the full L1 pricing was a good deal.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Thats a pretty sweet deal.

I'm tempted to get one and, like, actually make a portfolio or something.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah they have some of the best customer service I have ever had to deal with and the increase in bandwidth every month or week is just amazing.

It gets to the point where it really should never be an issue hosting video tutorials and large files.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    That's the big thing for me... I've spent more time managing the content of my site, constantly culling images and videos to make room for new stuff, and often not even bothering to make new stuff because my storage capacity was maxxed. This should do just fine.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I just went to check out the site and possibly transfer my host since this does seem like a good deal. Only problem is that www.dreamhost.com isn't loading. Doesn't bode well and instill much confidence. Haha. frown.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm thats odd...loads just fine on all of my computers here.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little bump for anyone that may have missed this.

I also just recently was able to play around with some of the features your site comes with and I started a forum. Pretty easy stuff and easy to manage.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe it would be useful to sticky this, so Jesse doesn't have to keep bumping it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump bump... wink.gif

I see a few guys have saved big time with this. Glad it has been able to help a few people. If anyone thinks I get a fat paycheck off this well I get $0.00 from every referral. I put all the rewards towards the discount on new customers. I could have taken a cut but your discount would be less.

I'm not in this to make cash. I know a lot of guys need good web hosting with lots of bandwidth and space and something thats pretty cheap.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Keep bumping, I just might go to this once mine expires which is soon.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    That's one of the options, yeah. I was thinking of Peasoup though, which is taken in .com, .net and .org.
    Then it's either mightypea or just my name. Then again, my last name is hardly the most memorable one, I'm afraid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful choosing something that might be misunderstood.

You: "yeah i gotta run, but check my portfolio at www.mightypea.com!"
    HR Guy: "Okay will do!"
    Later:
    HR guy: "hmm.. no results for www.mightypee.com.. thats too bad i really wanted to give him this awesome gig!"
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy Turkey Day bump...
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the tip dude!

Any idea when this deal will expire? I'm thinking of signing up but perhaps closer to when I'm done school which is in a couple months.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is ongoing.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am in the process of setting up a new discount for 08...I'll post the details when finished.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    JesseMoody wrote: »
    Ok I figured this would be a good place to share this since I know many of you like to find good hosts and save money as well so here is the info.

I setup a special discount / promo code at Dreamhost just for polycounters. It will save you over 82 bucks off the L1 (yearly) hosting plan.

This is for the same package I have. L1 which is 1 year of service, hosting, email, ftp, the works. I have the setup fee waived as well for ya. My total disk usage available for me is like 227 gigs. You get added space and bandwidth every month. It is insane. You get like 16 gigs of bandwidth added every week.

So here is the info.

Go to http://www.dreamhost.com

Your promo code is POLYCOUNTERS

Select the L1 (yearly) web hosting option. Using this code will knock the setup fee off the top and the cost will go from $ 119.40 all the way down to $ 37.40. Yeah thats right I just saved you $82.00

Enjoy my friends

Wow, that's great.. Cheers mate :D

/edit Seriously.. I have to start reading the dates on people's posts. o_O
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I'm sold on the concept...
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Damn thanks Jesse. Since I started you on my promo I get 5% from anyone that uses your code. Dreamhost just gave me 60 bucks. lol. That will pay for more WoW time.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok looking over things it pretty much is the best deal the way I have it set up. So I'll just leave it as is.

This promo code adds 1 extra FREE lifetime domain registration to any plan signed up for with it!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    So, Jesse, is the promo code still active?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it is. It will be active basically forever unless I de-activate it.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'm going for it. Not right now, but it's only a matter of weeks. Now to (again, or still) decide on a domain-name.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Err, actually, dreamhost.com is loading extremely slowly for me, as well. This isn't a good sign, and despite all the good things I've heard, I'm a bit sceptical now.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    dammit! i just renewed my bluehost account 2 months ago. :(
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah Lee that does suck sir.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is pretty sweet, i'll probably be signing up in the near future, but I was wondering if the dreamhost comes with some kind of html editor? like a simple page builder? i couldnt find it in the features on the site
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i use dreamhost and used the discount that jesse did and it saved me like 50bucks.:)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    bitmap wrote: »
    i use dreamhost and used the discount that jesse did and it saved me like 50bucks.:)

Same here

dreamhost has an annoying habit of being down, though...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glad you guys were able to use it.

Yeah dreamhost goes down at times but most of the time it is because they are updating their system and servers.

As far as my site goes I haven't had any significant down time since joining over a year ago.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump. This is still a viable code if people want to use it. :)
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Do they only offer a single plan now? I can't find any tiered comparisons, and the monthly bandwidth is "Unlimited TB". If that is indeed true, I'm in.