Home General Discussion

ZBrush 3.1 is out!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
[ QUOTE ]
ZBrush 3.1 continues our mission of creating innovative and powerful tools for digital artists. With ZBrush 3.1's new Brush Palette you can load, save and share custom made brushes. User-assigned hotkeys allow you to work faster. ZMapper and Displacement Exporter have been ported for ZBrush 3.1 to allow more flexibility for exporting your sculpt. We have revamped the brush system and added a few new brush features. Using our Smart Resym technology, ZBrush 3.1 now includes Poseable Symmetry. Keep symmetry on your model at the click of a button. No matter the pose. Check out what its like to sculpt in the new ZBrush. Upgrade your copy of ZBrush now.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZMapper

Displacement Exporter

Reproject Higher Subdivision Levels

Refined Interface

Poseable Symmetry

User-Assigned Hotkeys

New Brush Palette

Save Brushes

New Brush controls: Color Mask and BackFace Masking

Support for square alphas

New Topology Controls

YAY!

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poseable Symmetry

That's hot!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Yes trying it out now, really cool. One more update for free, that is also great haha. Just hate that the move tool is getting more and more hidden at each update since version 2 it seems. First it was the move tool, just press W and there it was, then on v3 they got it the Tweak tool, now it is hidden among a bunch of other brunshs on the brush pallete arg!

BTW, price increase in September. 100$ more.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    User defined hotkeys!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    oh stupid me, just chaning the UI for the sculping UI got it great laugh.gif thanks sir Mop
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    no zapplink makes me sad.
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waaaa. It still crashes for me on startup.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the new buttons and glassy look looks pretty cool.
    that stitch brush looks nice.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The stitch brushes are indeed pretty nice, though for some reason a few of the brushes don't switch to the smooth brush when the shift key is pressed... instead it makes what you brush much harsher. Again, this isn't happening to me on all the brushes just a couple.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    skrubbles, I just had/have that problem with the standard brush. Yet it only seems to happen in Zsub not Zadd.
  • Aghast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Waaaa. It still crashes for me on startup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try deleting Pixologic/ZBrush3/CustomUserInterface.cfg (if you have one)?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the on thing still annoys with zbrush is the the weird way they handle uv mapping.
    I wish they had 'proper' internal uv mapping like most standard 3d programs.
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mvelasquez

If you have an AMD like I do, you'll need to do this:

My PC > Right Click > Properties > Advanced > Performance settings > Data Execution Prevention > turn on DEP for all [..]
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gavimage - Oh man, I'd go nuts if that happened to my standard brush. I'm glad that if it has to happen to me, it's doing so with stitch brushes that I most likely won't be using anyway.

NeoShroomish - Thanks for the tip... hopefully that'll help me with crashes smile.gif
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hah...yeah :P

Something else I've noticed, and this is actually since 3.0 has been released, is that my objects are getting flipped when export for Max and into Zbrush. I'm not sure if this is new or if I've just been oblivious to this the whole time. If this is a new feature, or if I'm just doing something wrong, I'd like to know how you guys tackle the issue. But using the same workflow I used with ZB2 (create highpoly, sculpt in ZB, create low poly model, use Zmapper) gives me less than satisfactory results...maybe I just missed a step in my excitment to try out 3 with Zmapper :P

Gav
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    no zapplink makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

yo man, i have to look it back up, but you have always been able to do the zaplink thing even before zaplink, they just made a button for it, i think you drop it in projection master, then output the viewport in flat shaded mode, edit in photoshop, save and drop it back on top of the projection plane, not sure of the specifics, but i remember doing this way back in the day.. will do some tests later and get back to you..
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I think it is new... I had to set my import/export prefs to flip Z to correct it. No biggie, just set it once and store the config.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    stability has greatly improved, it seems. just had it for two days, working with it exclusively without crashes or application restarts after the preferences had been tweaked. not bad for a start. not bad at all.

but what a lame solution for the crash-bug that occured when you disabled the welcome-screen in Z3 - they now just removed the preference-option that caused it. yeah...
    what about removing the welcome screen altogether? just gets into the way, really.

since we still use Z2, the lack of zapplink is a bit annoying, but not a deal breaker here. they should come around in a timely manner to add this back in though.

the speed of the app seems to have improved a bit as well? anyway it's blindingly fast and smooth compared to any competitor i've ever tried. or should i say ex-competitor - since they play in different leagues for me now, really.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Does anyone here know where the FOV adjuster went? Also, in Zbrush is there a way to frame your view (like the F key in Mudbox or XSI)?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    frame view: holt ALT and double-tab LMB. seems there are different ways to achieve this tho.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Del was always the default key to frame the view in ZB2, thought it was the same in 3.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yes, in 3.0. and have been using del for that for ages. since the update, it doesn't seem to work anymore. it's also used now for mapping keyboard shortcuts, if i recall right (no z3.1 at home).
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay dokay, poor mans zaplink.. really easy to do, and i dont think its any slower really than than the old zaplink "button". for some reason the fade option produces very messed up results.. so turn it off.

also you can drop it in projection master and still turn on and off flat render.. so you can export a version with shadows and one without, to give a guide when painting.

pmfy1.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Why does ZBrush import textures flipped on the vertical?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the maclink macro works quite well for now as a zapplink replacement. sweet smile.gif
    now, some issues - on some models, when i drop down to low subdiv levels, change the sculpt (move tool especially) and go back up, i get artifacts on the surface, the former smooth surface then shows the lowres edge structure quite clearly as "hard edges". didn't notice this behaviour in Z2 nor Z3.0.

the undo hotkey stops working sometimes. forces me to go into the menu and click the tool->undo button. then it works every time, just not via hotkey. grrrrr! behaviour seems quite random on different machines.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Sentient: believe it's how zbrush handles the issue of uv maps. directx and opengl both treat the upper left corner as 0,0 while in uv map's it's the lower left corner that is 0,0. the normal way this is handled is by manipulating the uv coordinates. But flipping the texture gives the same result.

*Note: I am not 100% certain, this is just issue's I have dealt with when programming in opengl and directx