Home General Discussion

Forza Motorsport 2

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    My main issue with the game is that it seems to give massive grip to front tires and lack of grip to rears.
    Maybe its just me but a ~180hp car shouldnt do burnouts at 100mph even if it just weighs like 1200 lbs.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Are you running a RWD car? Even in real life, those can be quite touchy. That's why those are preferred by "drifters".
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes its rwd car but they are too touchy in this game and im running slicks so it should bite.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Still having loads more fun with this game than I *ever* did with any incarnation of the GT series. I picked up Dirt the other day and turned around and lent it to my friend cause I've still got a ways to go with Forza 2. smile.gif

Oh yah... lambo countach ftw. smile.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Well the general default settings of the cars lean toward oversteer. If you look at the spring, bound/rebound rates they're all rear-biased stiff. Which, actually, is the opposite of the majority of cars out there. In general, road cars are set up for understeer because it's much safer.

But yeah the was the main thing I noticed when I played the demo and the retail game. All the cars are squirly at the back end. Try buying a basic suspension upgrade and adjust your spring rates so that the rear is softer. Do the same with the bound/rebound (I think this are called different in the game). And see how you get on with it. I've found that softening the rear suspension really helps with a lot of the cars.

"General" tire choices would have been great, too. I like how they offer different makes of tires that offer varying levels of grip, life, etc. I also liked how they let you widen the tires. I thought that was great. Increased wheel size is a little lame. Who wants larger wheels? I want smaller ones!

Oh and the custom paintjobs is pretty cool. It's fun being able to customize the paint and add decals. Though, I really wish they added more control to the decal tools. Like a mirror function for the top of the car. That would make symmetrical designs so much easier.

flaagan: You're unbelievably biased towards anything microsoft/xbox/360. To the point where your opinion almost doesn't count because you're so one-sided.
    I like Gran Turismo. I think it's a good game. I'm used to how they handle "realistic driving." Forza 2 handles it differently. And I've adapted to how Forza likes to handle its physics. I gave my thoughts on the game based on what the game has to offer... not against another game. I only brought up GT in comparison with the graphics, because, to be quite honest, there aren't that many good looking "realistic" driving games out there.
    I get the feeling that you're thinking that the intentions behind my thoughts was to put down Forza. Not really. I think it's a good game, like I said. But I also think that it falls short of what I felt like it should have been. Because while I do enjoy the game when I play, at the same time I have moments where I'm let down because I can't do what I want.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul.. that post wasnt a response to anything you've put up about the game, positive or negative, I'm truly enjoying playing, and the replay value of the tracks / vehicles has just in general been a lot more pleasant than my experiences in the past with the GT series.

As a side note, I must say playing with the controller for this game vs gt has also been a lot more enjoyable, as the steering in GT always felt like you weren't getting full lock to lock wheel turn with the ps2 controller.

The custom paint job stuff is great, though, isn't it. I agree on the roof mirroring, as well as the need for a 'flip group vertically / horizontally', and some form of a 'copy layer settings' like in photoshop would be nice too. But hey, for what it is, it's something else. smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    ok OK! I'm buying this tomorrow!

It's no Burnout, but a m8 at work told me I can select my Eclipse Spyder GT and the prospect of painting that up with vectors is enough to merit the money for me heh smile.gif

r.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I have a 95 eclipse and i painted my ingame one to be just like how it looks at home.

The little clips that hold the side skirts off broke after some ass hat let some boxes fall out of his truck while I was driving on the 15 in San Diego. I had to use some painters tape (that blue type) to quickly fix the situation. Sadly I never did get the new clips.

I refer to it as racing tape to joke around with my friends. My buddy geoff almost died laughing in game when we raced the other night.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse.. picts dude, I gotta see this! laugh.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sad as this is I am living in Maine right now and my car is in storage in California until I fly out for Comic Con and ship my baby back here.

I'll get some pics from forza at least for ya.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to play more with suspension then. I guess im too used to GT where you get decent handling out of the box and i just lower the car to the ground and add some camber.

Other thing i dont like in Forza (and im not comparing it to GT) is that ai leaves me no room when i overtake, even if i lap them like third time. It would have been nice if they backed off a bit when im in front of them by half a car in mid turn, they do it when you do brake test to them i think. Its nothing big but racing has rules and it would be nice if ai would try to follow them a bit.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas, what difficulty are you playing on? I've got the AI on the lowest setting cause I found they got really aggressive when I turned it up a notch.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Usually hard or medium. But its not the agressivness, thats fine just they drive like i wasnt there if i overtake them, not as bad as in GT tho.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm beginning to think that there is a market to create a site with 3D models of every vehicle out there. Then allow people to place designs on them and share them wink.gif It sounds like people are enjoying the vector graphic portion of the game more than the actual gameplay.

Personally, I've tried the demo and I'm not very impressed by the gameplay. As it's been mentioned, the vehicle physics seem way off. I tried the Corvette and that thing wouldn't stay on the track. I'm sure I could play the crap out of this game and learn to adjust, but I don't feel like putting that kind of time into a game that should have better vehicle physics from the start :/ It's a shame though, because it's a beautiful game.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Oh. GT AI is retarded. They simply drive the racing line and that's it.
    I find that in easy Forza AI drives at 5/10 or so. Real calm and easy. Plenty of braking, etc. It's very easy to pass even faster cars.
    On medium they drive much faster and much tidier. But give a bit of room and don't go quiet as fast through corners. But it seems like they go full throttle down the straights.
    On Hard the AI can be quite challenging. The computer AI with a C6 Z06 is very difficult to beat. Stock for stock.

I do like that I can block faster cars if I'm able to beat them out of the corner. I did this several times at the New York track. In GT the cars would simply ass ram you. In FM2 they brake as if they're watching out for their own race as well. I was pretty impressed.

When it comes to overtaking, I think the AI judges if you REALLY have the opportunity to over take or not. I've seen them back off. But I've also seen them close the door and hit me. I think they're fair about it. I know I can be a little too optimistic sometimes. If the AI has determined it has the racing line and is already turning in for the corner... I think the door is closed. Can't bully your way through the field! haha
    Lapping, I agree with. There should be some kind of blue flag system where the AI knows you're lapping them and should back off. Regardless of who has the line.

Oversteer is easy to kill on any car. Toning back the subsequent understeer, though, is completely different. How do you judge understeer in the game? Sometimes what looks like understeer can be just a bad racing line through a corner.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Soul, the suspension stiffness did the trick. Now my c class Elan doesnt act like it was pro stock dragster..
    Built a maxed out C6 Z06, i have no clue if there is anyone who could fully utilize that car, maybe with driving aids but thats not my thing. I think i have to revert the engine back to stock :P

One other thing i totally hate is the Forza racing rear bumper. Its otherwise cool but why the hell do they have to put the butt ugly exhaust tips there???? I know it has huge rear diffuser and shit but still there are more elegant solutions...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas, you tried playing around with the Lingenfelter 'vette? I had to put on all of the top downforce add-ons just to keep it on the road, but once I did, man alive that sucker ate up the track and spat it out in the competition's face.

Other than some minor tire pressure tweaks, I actually haven't touched the other car tweaking settings. I just take the Jeremy Clarkson approach to everything... "MORE POWER!!!" laugh.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a stock car guy myself. So I only pick up the minimum mods. Usually suspension and wider sports tires for the races. Well I pick up engine modes without pushing me over the class limit for the oval races.
    Bone stock for anything other than races.

I wish the lap leader board was broken down into 2 sections. Modified and non-modified cars. I absolutely hate knowing that some kid has a faster lap time than me on the Nurburgring because their car is modified to the S998 limit. Hahahah
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i wasnt a fan of the super super reflective cars either.

When painting them i kept looking for a gloss setting... but couldnt find one. frown.gif

its a fun game, im enjoying it laugh.gif i know fuck-all about cars, so i just tweak numbers until other numbers go up or down... or a squiggly line goes up or down. They should have a "random" button on the configuration screen, that'd be fun.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "How much are you willing to spend on this car?"
    "$2"
    "Here's some stickers and a can of dayglow paint, go faster."
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Man, turns out I’m a serious Forza addict. The fist step is admitting the problem right. I started up a league for some friends and have wheel only, no assists races once a week. Great fun. As far as I’m concerned there are basically 2 completely different games, one with the wheel, and a slightly simplified version when using the controller. Just take a look at the telemetry and you can see it helps out the controller. For the people who are finding it very loose with the rear wheel drive, that can easily be tuned out of most cars. It’s in no means a perfect game but get some friend in a race online with competitive cars and its great. The game it self seems very tunable from "arcady" to "almost sim"

a couple pics, from my last race.
    forza-1.jpg
    n567110197_685416_4815.jpg
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oookay, i bought the 250GTO and wtf??!?? It doesnt have any tunable parts apart from tyre pressure. I dunno but i tought it was throughbred racecar, if you look closely there is even evidence under the "bumpers" (hint hint jack lift supports).
    Just maybe in 60s they didnt fine tune their cars depending on track and conditions?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is the benefit of hiring drivers?

Is it just to get through the race and get the bonuses and cars?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse.. pretty much. I wanted a few easier races out of my way while eating dinner; hired a driver, sat back, ate my grub, won the races, all the while watching tv.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thats what i did last night. had to render out some ao / normal maps and fix em up for an asset so i figured i would let the computer drive an endurance race for me.

They kept all the winnings but I got the bonus money and the car. Not a bad deal for not even playing. Do this a few times while working each day and you could seriously build up some cash flow.

I got to watch the last bit of the race and i had never been so excited over not playing a video game before and egging on my ai driver. It was pretty cool.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    do you earn points by hiring drivers? It drove me mad in GT when you could auto piolot and set the AI to be agressive to just dominate races, but you didnt gain experience, just cash. Guess its an easy way to get money though *shrug*
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depending on what percentage they take of your prize money, you'll get the remainder to count towards your progression. I've generally hired drivers with an 85% share, as any less have a pretty weak win ratio. I'm also only hiring them for any race worth about 35k or less, usually ones more than a few ranks below what I'm currently at, that I can just get out of the way to progress. If I *really* need the money, an endurance race or two will take care of that.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i had the computer drive 2 of the endurance races and today i gave it a shot while my son took a nap. Man that wasn't too bad. Instead of doing a ton of races in an hour I did one and netted over 100 grand and gained all the experience. Good way to build up some cars really quickly and get to a higher level. One more endurance race and i'll be at level 30. Good way to open up a lot of the races for later on.

heres one of the cars i'm working on. Still pretty early.

forza2.jpg