Home General Discussion

Forza Motorsport 2

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    flaagan, you have to buy custom rims before you can paint em. You cannot color the stock rims. After that, go to the regular paint shop, not the vinyl editor. And you can color them smile.gif
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Goodwork Vassago.

Jay I'm liking that, is there a way to increase the dish of the rims? Because you know, more dish = more hot ;D
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Vass... awesome, thanks for the heads up on that!

I'm currently just playing around with this '04 Opel Speedster, going for a fun lil' hawaiian theme. Haven't done much of anything to it yet, still focusing on winning races and progressing my career. My next goal is to take the '68 Formula S and turn it into a Sox & Martin. wink.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweeeet smile.gif
    If you get to the endurance races, that's where the money is. 45+ laps, usually $7-9k per lap. So each race gets you hundreds of thousands. Hire a driver, let it run, easy peasy.

Selling painted cars is quick money as well. I sold 5 cars with my Nightmare before Christmas paint tonight - pulled in just over $700,000 smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So you can paint cars and sell it to.... other gamers? Online?

Nifty.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, there's an auction house. You can set minimum bid, as well as a "buy now" price. You can also lock the decal design, if you don't want others to modify/resell your paint.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Had a great online race last night with some buddies. Here is me cleaning up class D in my Elan. forza.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one, Jay smile.gif
    Good print on a nice car. Great pic to boot!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put the S&M cuda on hold while I worked my way through some more tracks last night. I came to learn few things...

First, the Wings West Civic, bumped up a bit with a supercharger and other gear, and then tuning the final gear ratio a bit high, is a freaking rocket that handles incredibly well. ooo.gif

Second, setting up a new Dodge Charger with a Hemi for the heavyweight class is a painful idea (but I've bought it, so no reason to sell it off...), especially when, somehow, a freakin' Ferrari classifies as a heavyweight vehicle. tongue.gif

Third, the Porsche 914/16 Factory Spec challenge definitely was a good way to 'learn how to drive and do minor tweaks'. Almost all the races I'd done up to that point, my vehicles were flat out better. Racing against the AI on an equal playing field really opens your eyes up to how to properly attack a course. Also, lowering the front tire pressure a few psi, and raising the rear tire pressure a few psi made the difference between losing it in corners and just hanging in there. cool.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting quote from the Corvette Forum thread on forza 2:

[ QUOTE ]
    Got to the endurance race. This is why some of you are so high a level i'm guessing. Turned off ABS, TCM, breaking line, turned to hard and whatever that last little one is.

Ended up getting about 200k from one 45min race.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuppers smile.gif
    You can just hire a driver as well, then do whatever else (chores, etc).
    Or, you can sell paintjobs laugh.gif
    I've made 2,000,000Cr in the past 2 days, selling cars with that nightmare before christmas paint smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazy, vass... and well earned too. saw it up on the forza forum, was well liked there.

I'm coming up with a few different ideas, but I'm spending the time I have playing the game at the moment. tongue.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    One of the reasons I bought this game was to drive various cars around the Nurburgring. But I'm a bit disappointed at how inacurate the track is.
    Some parts they got right... some they just totally missed and guessed at how the layout might have been. The rhythm of the track is off in many areas partly because of how inacurate the recreation of the corners are. And, believe it or not, even the kerb placement makes a huge difference.

At least some of the cars sound fantastic. I'm glad they got that banshee wailing sound of the CGT.

I won't comment on the other tracks yet. But having played career for about an hour... I'm pretty tired of racing on those 'snake' tracks.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Note to self, don't let your tires go to red on an endurance track, even if you've only got a few more laps to go... it may result in going from first place to fifth. (*doh*) confused.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Someone posted a Disney set of skins on Digg today. Pretty cool: http://disneyhighperformance.blogspot.com/
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    In memory of Captain America!! Here's my first Design for Forza, it's still a WIP, when I get home tonight I'm gonna change the gay looking flame to something that looks more like sparks. I'm also gonna add some more colors and other details as well so the design pops from the surface a little more.
    charginstarontrack01jc4.th.jpgcharginstar02qi1.th.jpgcharginstar01on0.th.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol cool beans, war_destroyer smile.gif
    GJ for a first attempt.
  • dnorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dnorth polycounter lvl 18
    Heh - someone put up a tutorial for making these things.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/213264.aspx
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    If anyone in the uk didn't want to pay 30-40£ for Forza 2 you can get it for 15£ at gamestation at the mo if you buy it with another 360 game - http://www.gamestation.co.uk/discountsearch.asp?discountid=193
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chrissakes, I need more free time, my sketchpad is just filled with some crazy design ideas for paint jobs for this game...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First paint job I put some (basic) effort and thought into. Got a few other 'simple' ones to make soon.

Representing my college~
    CPC Porsche 914/6
    CPC Porsche 914/6
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that's old school porsche smile.gif
    Cool paint work so far though.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Where's the Polycount CAR!? ooo.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Where's the Polycount CAR!? ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm working on one :P
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks dnorth for that tutorial link, it helped me alot. You guys have some awesome designs! How much for another Nightmare car? do i get a PC discount wink.gif

Yesterdays paint job while at work
    TeamNfusion.jpg

Weekend challenge - Spawn design, currently 2 hours in. Working out how im going to paint spawn figure onto the hood holding his gun.
    TeamSpawn_wip1.jpg

I'm finding the painting system counter intuitive for doing certain pieces its much easier having followed that tutorial smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    messin' around
    forza_empire01.jpg
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    bwahaha ae86 !
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    This took way too long:

rsf.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Is there any way to share designs with friends, short of slapping them on a car and gifting them?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you can do that. But the design will be unlocked. You cannot lock the paint on gifted cars.

You can save our your layers as vinyl groups, and apply them to any car. Then you can just gift the car to a buddy.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We can always gift a car to you that we want it on, and then gift it back (unless the game has some sort of lock on gift-backs and that kind of thing?)...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh right, I read that wrong. Yeah, you can toss it on a cheap-o car, then gift it. Or put it on any car, then they can gift it right back.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Man this is a serious challenge painting these things. I'm gonna need to sketch out my plan of attack. Major props to you guys with pretty bad ass designs.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    does forza2 have car clubs like in Test Drive? Flaagan started one on test drive unlimited.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, I'm not entirely sure.
    My online time with Forza is very limited. I just painted one car, sold 24 prints of the paint, and made 10 million credits :P
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't believe so, but then, I haven't even touched the MP in Forza 2 yet. blush.gif

To be honest, I was kinda hoping to see about setting up some races against you guys sometime in the future, I'd really like to see how MP stacks up against SP (and namely, I'd like to see you hokeys driving like crazy laugh.gif).
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't believe so, but then, I haven't even touched the MP in Forza 2 yet. blush.gif

To be honest, I was kinda hoping to see about setting up some races against you guys sometime in the future, I'd really like to see how MP stacks up against SP (and namely, I'd like to see you hokeys driving like crazy laugh.gif).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually going to mention setting up some sort of little polycount driving league. I know a couple guys that would probably be interested as well that post on here once and a while.

I played online last night and it was great. Lots of fun for sure.

How do you sell multiple prints or the designs you make? Do you have to buy like 10 of the same car and then apply it to all 10 and auction them all off?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do you have to buy like 10 of the same car and then apply it to all 10 and auction them all off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    all of you are making me want to go out and get a 360 just for this game.....

*glare*
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doooooo iiiiiit... you know want to, maaaaan. laugh.gif
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    No way to import right now frown.gif

Jack there consists of about 60 vinyl layers, and 2hrs of work. It'd be nice if you could import images. Or better yet, just support tablets, so we can direct-paint onto the car smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish there was too

if anyone likes to drift...my xbox live is Antihero6713...hit me up and we will do some drifting
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen some mentioning of people doing drifting setups in the game, what kind of major adjustments are you doing to the cars for it?
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its pretty easy...hit me up on xbox live...ill help you out..
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Start with a RWD vehicle, and turn off all assists.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now you're just talking burnouts.... laugh.gif
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    forza1.jpg

me drifting my car
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My Lingenfelter Corvette with a bit more custom paintjob on it.... it needs all that downforce just to stay connected to the road. ooo.gif

And my wonderful lil' Grand Sport. grin.gif

Yah, I live 'vettes. smile.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I need to pick up this game soon.

On a side note I think Skate would benefit from a paint system like forza's
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna put this up as my wallpaper at work, wonder if anyone will make the connection. laugh.gif
    TVonDoomR
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I've finally had the time to spend some considerable seat time with this game.
    Overall it's pretty good, but I do think it falls short on some areas.
    Single player is great. I really enjoyed the varying requirements of each race. I wish some races were a little longer, but that's down to taste. For the most part they're all well paced and don't require too much time to complete.
    I found the endurance races to be pretty fun. They were just the right length. But I do wish there was a tiny bit more complexity in them to allow for different strategies. For example, if the weight of fuel was taken into the consideration of the car's performance... it would have been great to let the player run some hot laps on low fuel with really sticky tires to try and build a gap. Or catch up during the last leg of the race. As is endurance races are just about staying in front and not falling behind too much.

Track variety is a little thin. The different configurations for that snake track are really, really boring. I'm sorry if you worked on the game, I know someone here did, but those were just not that much fun. There weren't any areas to really overtake cars.
    The real tracks put in the game were fantastic. They're fun to drive and I felt the game put in a good variety of them. The Nurburgring, however, was a big disappointment. For a car nut, this track is the holy grail of all race tracks. Having watched countless in-car laps of the track, I was able to spot so many inconsistencies with the track vs. the real world counterpart. And this is where most of the let down stems from. I understand that there was a design decision in involved to widen the track... but I don't think it was really necessary. The width of the track is what contributes to the track's character and challenge. Widening the track changes so many of the racing lines and takes away from the difficulty of a majority of the corners.

Arcade mode was very basic and could use improvement. Give the player more options. Number laps, numerous car, engine, HP, tire, etc restrictions. Number of cars? Again, very basic and could use more attention.

The physics in the game are pretty solid. But I did notice a few things. Some cars exhibit an enormous amount of grip through fast corners. Actually the game overall is generous with grip. I noticed that when on the grass and you brake, the car maintains itself and you slow down accordingly. If anyone has ever watched a race and watched a race car (of any kind, even normal road cars) touch even the slightest bit of grass with the rear wheel and brakes, you're guaranteed a spin. Grass is slippery. Specially underneath a braking tire, which on grass is guaranteed to lock up. Tires can't slow a car down if it doesn't have anything to grip onto. Oh and why doesn't the front end of my car dip underbraking? I don't think I can ever get over that.

I'm a bit torn with the graphics. I thought that the environments were really well done and well lit (possibly a little too bright, but very very minor). But the cars...
    It's like the cars had a separate Art Director that never checked in on what the environment guys were doing. The cars are way, way, WAY, too shiny. The modeling of the cars are fantastic. They goofed on some small details on some cars, but overall really well done. It's the shaders where they fell short. There's too much contrast within the cars themselves. They all have really, really, bright hot spots on the areas getting hit with light. Then really, really dark shadows near the bottom of the cars. But the tracks are all so well lit and bright. It doesn't make sense for cars to be so full of contrast.
    The bright tracks would suggest a large amount of ambient light that there should be less dark shadows on the cars.
    In some shots it looks good. Like when the dirt starts to accumulate on the cars. It takes away from the sheen of the cars and actually sets the cars better to their backgrounds.
    This is I think where GT gets it right. Their cars are not so harshly lit. FM2 probably has a light source affecting the cars with the lighting baked into the environments. But that car lighting was never fully tuned to reflect the lighting of the environments.

Overall a fun game. Wish there were more cars, though. I can kind of guess that they really only modeled the cars worth buying and actually using in the game. But sometimes it's just fun to see a car in the game. Even if it isn't worth buying. The basics of a REALLY good racing game is there. Seems like the guys at Turn 10 just need more time to really polish their game and add more content.