Home General Discussion

Fallout 3 Teaser

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kept waiting for it to get started, I even zoned out and opened another browser window and started surfing around. You are right, I know nothing more than before I watched it =P

Well maybe a little bit more... I think...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    You know that buses got wrecked and the Brotherhood of Steel is probably in f3 (as if there could have been a doubt they weren't, but...)
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    ... Now to wait a year and a few months. It just dawned on me just how far Fall 2k8 is.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea... fall 2k8 is a ways off.

And what was wrong with the character? Looked good to me. The whole trailer looked great, although it was very vague.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    the BOS char doesn't look like 50s and 60s futuristic tech. It looks like dirtied up Oblivion armor.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/794/794162p1.html - just checked it out here.

I'm totally blown away. As Fallout is a complete unknown to me beyond the misty eyed expressions those who tell me
    about it form whilst doing so( as I've mentioned in other threads), so this trailer simply clarifies to me why it has the following.

I'm a renaissance man when it comes to art and especially gameart, I'm very passionate about any game that bothers to do
    some historical / geographical research around whatever subject matter they are pursuing as too few of us realize how important
    the effort is. Research is the first step (imo) toward creating a convincing story/atmosphere/mood because it gives as the ammunition
    for striking straight into the hearts and minds of the player via easily recongnizable motifs and associations.

My hat is off to Bethesda here as they have clearly done their research, theres an incredibly strong resonance in this trailer that tells
    me everything I need to know about this game, or more specifically, it tells me everything I care about in games is present as theres
    a genuine sense of a real world and place visible. I'd preoder the special edition right now if I could, but I'm settling for replaying this
    trailer constantly.

I also think their choice of music is going to be equally as iconic for them as Mad World was for Gears, these things help a lot!

For me there was only 1 downside, it looks like they are still struggling to match the sheer brilliance of their environment creation with
    their character creation, but I don't really mind about that because it's clear that I can already connect with the world much more than
    the top of the industry level quality characters in other games that are reduced to cyphers by mundane story/ character definition in script.

Anyway, trully brilliant stuff, I'm on cloud 9 ( which is a rarity!)

r.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I hear ya ror, you must be peeing your pants from the Bioshock art direction too ...
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    As a huge fallout fan I gotta say...

Lame. The teaser art and music were much more captivating.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse: Aye, originally I was, but my interest has been waning due to later trailers looking like repetitive gameplay and overly dark environments. I'm still really
    hyped for Assasin's Creed though as the gameplay looks fun and I
    will be satisfied simply by them allowing me to sandbox climbing around those environments

r.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    well the music is only fitting since Fallout 1 and 2 had similar type of music in their intros, and its an iconic Fallout thing. the stuff in the background looked ok, but the train car looked really bad, the lighting and texturing were both fairly awful, and the character wasn't all that great, very bland and literal shapes, poor textures, definitely doesn't compete with anything out of gears.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Ror: yeh i hear ya, I love when totally a totally fictional art style builds on top of historical and cultural foundation, it helps sell the idea much better and gives the universe more credibility...
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    well the music is only fitting since Fallout 1 and 2 had similar type of music in their intros, and its an iconic Fallout thing. the stuff in the background looked ok, but the train car looked really bad, the lighting and texturing were both fairly awful, and the character wasn't all that great, very bland and literal shapes, poor textures, definitely doesn't compete with anything out of gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. The lighting quality especially surprised me. Almost shocking that F3 would get that treatment after Blur, Blizzard, and other studios have pumped out ultra awesome cinematics. It's in game models, but that doesn't excuse the lack of atmosphere at all.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    the style has me hooked smile.gif with bioshock giving me my art deco fix this year and post apocalyptic retro goodness next year with Fallout I'm all set laugh.gif
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    It's a good base, hopefully the quality gets raised as time goes on. Valve power for the win!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I thought it was good. I know a lot of people don't want it to be an oblivion in the fallout universe with guns but I think that would be AMAZING
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see any correlation between this and oblivion whatsoever.
    I doubt the company are so poor that they can't make games of a completely different ilk.

The only bummer I see is if most of their character work is done inhouse, rather than being taken care of by freelancers. Then again, if they constantly rely on that as it seems they have with shivering isles etc. Then their character art team are never gonna get any better tongue.gif
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Looked good; I think the real deal will be when some in-game stuff is shown.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawk: I dont think they need to compete with out art quality when the arena they are in deals more with story, sort of an apples and pears situation.

Despite that, I actually have a huge amount of respect for the environment team at Bethesda. While I know that they can't compete with us on an individual quality per asset basis, I think that their art direction as a whole is very strong and their reuse of textures is incredibly efficient.

They all pay attention to the little details more than us, perhaps that's an apples and pears situation again though due to the different game types.

I'm not sure exactly what my point is though! Perhaps I simply dont want to see what I consider a great achievement from Bethesda downplay simply because Epic has higher quality assets because their strength's are geared ( no pun intended) toward their gameplay style just as ours ( and yours I beleive!) are.

r.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Despite that, I actually have a huge amount of respect for the environment team at Bethesda. While I know that they can't compete with us on an individual quality per asset basis, I think that their art direction as a whole is very strong and their reuse of textures is incredibly efficient.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agreed, Kevin. I've been a fan of the consistency and quality of their worlds as a whole ever since Morrowind. They have very consistent styles, colours & resolutions, and they're all good quality when taken as a whole. Sure, if you took one single asset and looked at it alone, you wouldn't be hugely impressed, but when it all comes together in the final product, it's very atmospheric, natural and believable, something which I've seen a lot of other games lack.

It's just a shame their character art wasn't anywhere near that consistent quality for Morrowind and Oblivion, from the looks of this teaser, their F3 characters fit in a lot better.

Sure, it doesn't look mind-blowingly amazing, but it looks believable and it fits in perfectly with their world.
    I prefer not to nit-pick every tiny thing when they're making a game on a scale such as this, and instead focus on how it all comes together to create a full, immersive and believable environment to play in.

There's less content in this teaser than I'd like, but I guess that's why it's a teaser. I think it bodes well for the final game, though.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, yea, I agree with Ror and MoP. When you watch this teaser as a whole picture thing, it's great. If you are sitting around nitpicking of course you won't enjoy it.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    I'm pretty sure i'm going to hate every minute of the 100 hours i'll spend playing that game.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    That's probably won of my most favourite scenes I've seen in a long, long time. As soon as it came out to the transistor radio I was hooked. Fantastic.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I think it looked good and was quite surprised when they indicated it was in-engine.(not so surprised after seeing it in the hi-rez trailer) Some spots looked a bit crap in the trolleycar but for the most part I was impressed. I am hoping by the level of detail that we are going to a 1st or 3rd person perspective.
    It would be a waste to do up those assets to that level if it was isometric like the first 2 games.

The color tone was a little more blue than the warm sepias I would expect from Fallout.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawk: hah! my tactful counterpoints were completly wasted here weren't they smile.gif

r.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Liked the teaser, has me interested in F3... not much more to say than that. smile.gif
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    It had me at the blinking light, I so want this game to be awesome. I really hope they have the humour that fallout 1 & 2 had. One of my favorite things about those games was that it seemed they understood humour in games. I remember all the absurd people you could encounter, and all the monty python scenes in number 2.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read an interview where one of the lead designers of F2 indicated he felt the humor and the pop culture references were the laziest portion of the game, from a design perspective. I loved it.

Razor: What are you talking about Valve power? Did they switch to source? I assumed this was still Gamebryo/Oblivion engine stuff.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    I'm a huge fallout fan, I really liked this, wishing fall 2k8 wasn't so far away:( The thing that really sucked me into this trailer was the mood, that was always the thing I liked most about fallout. The mood and atmosphere they created. I think Bethesda really captured it in this trailer, and I couldn't be happier. I agree that some of the art assets are weak, but theres still a lot of time for polish.

edit: oh yeah, and Ron Perlman at the end really sold it for me, it felt so fallout:P
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    While The Elder Scrolls and Fallout are different games, and while it probably won't be Oblivion with guns, what really made me dislike Oblivion and Morrowind was the bad writing; dialogue, quests, storyline, you name it. Even if the styles are different, I'm far too scared Fallout3 will have this problem too and I'm just too poor to spend on a game that isn't made out of 100% awesome. It's a shame, really.

I've been trying to buy Fallout 1 or 2, but haven't yet, so I can't tell how they were. Tim Cain's other games, such as Arcanum and Vampire Bloodlines, were, to me, the complete opposite of Oblivion and Bethesda's works, however.

Of all the ye olde series coming back alive again, this might be the most interesting.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    wwaaaaaah I want to play!!!!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/794/794162p1.html
    I'm a renaissance man when it comes to art and especially gameart, I'm very passionate about any game that bothers to do
    some historical / geographical research around whatever subject matter they are pursuing as too few of us realize how important
    the effort is. Research is the first step (imo) toward creating a convincing story/atmosphere/mood because it gives as the ammunition
    for striking straight into the hearts and minds of the player via easily recongnizable motifs and associations.

My hat is off to Bethesda here as they have clearly done their research, theres an incredibly strong resonance in this trailer that tells
    me everything I need to know about this game, or more specifically, it tells me everything I care about in games is present as theres
    a genuine sense of a real world and place visible. I'd preoder the special edition right now if I could, but I'm settling for replaying this
    trailer constantly.

r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did we watch the same trailer? I don't see any evidence of research. I thought the trailer was pretty cool, but agree with the crits Rockstar offered, too much black in the textures for sure. But overall it just looked like a typical rubble everywhere post apocalyptic scene with a tube radio in it.

Any chance you could type out exactly what you saw that pointed to the feeling of research you are seeing? Because I just see a tired cliche setting.

poop.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I saw 50s scifi stylization of a modern destroyed east coast america with mild western and _____punk influences.

Which is kinda what I expect from fallout, so I'm pleased.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poop: heh, considering your take on it, I dont think there'd be any point in my trying explain my perspective!

r.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you please humor me anyway Rorshach?

poop.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I like what I saw, not the most fantastic art assets, but looked good to me as a whole. Like Stalker, not amazing art, but the whole thing came together very well. Looking at some photos of Pripyat after finishing stalker was kinda spooky, they really got some of the game very close (in look and mood) of the real place.

Never played Fallout 1 or 2 (though I have 2 sitting here, gotta install it), but am sort of a fan anyway from what I've heard/read about it. Bring forth autumn 2008!
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    While The Elder Scrolls and Fallout are different games, and while it probably won't be Oblivion with guns, what really made me dislike Oblivion and Morrowind was the bad writing; dialogue, quests, storyline, you name it. Even if the styles are different, I'm far too scared Fallout3 will have this problem too

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm more scared of what they do to the gameplay mechanics. Oblivion was an RPG with action-based combat. This was a problem because the action mechanics were terrible in pretty much every single way. Because the action mechanics were bad, they ruined the RPG elements. Luckily for Bethesda, every other open-world RPG has terrible combat as well, so no one made a big stink about it.

But if they are bringing Fallout into a first person or OTS perspective then they'll probably be making hefty gameplay changes and I don't trust Bethesda to do that well. This isn't about Fallout being "post-apoc Oblivion", this is about Bethesda not being good at changing things. They spend all their time tackling the big ambitious worlds and never bother to get the core gameplay right.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

Any chance you could type out exactly what you saw that pointed to the feeling of research you are seeing? Because I just see a tired cliche setting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I hear every now and then that just doesn't make much sense at all. Pray tell, how many post apocalyptic desert wasteland games are done, and in the same veign as Fallout? There are very few that try to match the scale and atmosphere that defines the series, and even fewer that come close.

Link me up as many post apocalyptic Falloutish games that you can find. Post apocalypticism is far too broad a genre to lump it in with other things, otherwise its style would have to be compared to stuff like Gears of War, which stylistically and thematically are so different.

It's like calling Western games cliche. It's a well known theme, but there are very few, and again, fewer good ones. I don't see oodles of Mad Max / Wasteland games, so I must be horribly out of touch with games.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Razor: What are you talking about Valve power? Did they switch to source? I assumed this was still Gamebryo/Oblivion engine stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Valve powered radio on the bus, nothing to do with the Valve source engine :P

The trailer looked really nice, but I will agree with some of the things V mentioned as well as some of the things Ror mentioned as well. Still definitely time for more polish to get this game popping nuts!
    Haven't played the first 2 so I really have no idea what the games are about or the style of the games. But from the trailer, I get a good sense of the mood and style and I'm somewhat keen to give this game a go.

-caseyjones
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Valve powered radio on the bus, nothing to do with the Valve source engine :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhhh. I see. heh, Im a retard. I thought it might also be some veiled reference to the monolithic tower building in the background, Ala HL2.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I saw 50s scifi stylization of a modern destroyed east coast america with mild western and _____punk influences.

[/ QUOTE ]

What parts pointed to 50s scifi stylization? (besides the poster and radio tubes)

What pointed to it being East coast? Or even America for that matter?

Where was the punk?

As far as post apoc games. Gears of War, Hellgate London, HL2, that Gun Porn game (black 9?), those are just off the top of my head.

poop.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    gun porn was just called 'Black'

and the style is so different between this and HL2 I wouldn't even come close to calling those comparable.

Gears, yeah, and they did a great job

I wonder what Bethesda plans to do with this.. the other 2 were over 3/4ths view right? I'd really like to see this first person like oblivion, and having this huge open post apoc world, it sounds awesome. isn't STALKER like that? havent played it yet. either way I think it would be sick but I know a lot of fallout fans probably wouldn't dig that
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

What pointed to it being East coast? Or even America for that matter?

Where was the punk?

As far as post apoc games. Gears of War, Hellgate London, HL2, that Gun Porn game (black 9?), those are just off the top of my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, it's far too broad a genre to lump every thing in. There's tons of fresh interesting settings that could be put in a post apocalyptic setting, and Fallout's may not be "phresh" but it's still very interesting and hasn't been done nearly enough to be considered cliche. None of the games you listed look anything like Fallout, except for a few run down buildings. (and even then, Fallout's are completely annhialated, where the other games just have "dirty cracks" taken out of them)

So are you inferring that if there has been a catastrophe, regardless of what kind, it's going to be cliche? It's a story and setting device, not a tracing template for an art director.

Edit: Bounch. STALKER is kinda like that, though in a setting (human wise) much closer to our own. Not at quite the level of free roaming that Oblivion offers, but still a nice, wide open 'zoned' game world. Less RPG elements, more tactical gunplay. Very good game, if you haven't played it, I recommend you go pick it up right away. It's really cheap too.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    lol that's the washington monument...

I think bethesda has got the chops to pull it off...but I do hope they got thier character team up to par...My PipBoy is charged and ready to hunt down some supermutants
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    lol that's the washington monument...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah! so it is. It's so torn up I didn't notice that till you mentioned it. I was reading it visually as a skyscraper with a pointed roof.

poop.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    cant wait ! honestly !
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If this game is Oblivion with a Fallout coat-of paint, humour, and story then we're fine folks. Really.

Oh, and a decent fucking face editor and characters who's heads aren't procedurally retarderated.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    High res versions on gametrailers btw. I did get the same vibe of familiarity that poop did, but I don't think that that necessarily stems from video games. The fallen statue of liberty in Planet of the apes being a *classic* example of what has been done many times and repeated here with the depiction of the Washington monument. However, any slight twang of cliche didn't necessarily take away from my enjoyment of the trailer though. I still found it compelling enough to peak my interest in it and I'm not actually familiar with the franchise I'm afraid.

My guess is that it's probably not an fps, since the interior of the train was strangely low polygon (significantly lower than Oblivions) and shader use sparse. I usually detest over use of black in textures, it makes everything feel covered in soot to me, but it seems to work stylistically in this case. I echo the hope that their character team have been getting up to date with the rest of the industry. Very poor animation has the potential to drag the overall quality of the product down with it.

*edit* upon closer inspection the train interior isn't as low poly as I'd first thought really, but it's definitely poorly inconsistent. A fairly high polygon teddy bear sits on a cube that is aspiring to be a leather seat.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Wow didnt notice the washington monument either, good eye ...

Fallout 1 Intro

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WkBNKa2KXZE

Fallout 2 Intro

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e3PXiV95kwA
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    We had a debate at work weather that was the Washington Monument or the Empire State Building; the jaggies in the low res version made it seem more like the latter, but I think it's clearly the Monument and thus DC in the high res trailer. There's some research for ya, Poop laugh.gif

About the style... on the one hand, I agree that the idea of post-apocalyptic wasteland settings is getting a bit tired. On the other hand, the Fallout series is THE post-apocalyptic wasteland game. Games like Gears and HL2 may have some of that vibe, but the setting isn't exactly crucial to the game experience. Fallout is quite literally defined by it's setting, and surviving in a nuclear wasteland is as much a part of the experience as gunning down bad guys. I can't complain about it any more than I could if George Miller finally makes that fourth Mad Max film; Fallout is the core reference point of the genre, and while it will be good or bad on its own merits, I don't view it as cliche.

I second Daz's comment about the inconsistency. The trailer starts out wonderfully but goddamn, those bench seats on the bus are atrocious. I don't really care if a game is cutting-edge next gen or not, but I do want it to have the same quality of assets throughout. Seeing as the game is 16 months out at least, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that consistency issues will be sorted out before then.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One other question, what the hell were they doing, that that trailer couldn't run in real time? Besides maybe the high res radio, nothing really looked all that advanced to indicate the need for a slow down. I think you could pop those exact same visuals into Source, or Unreal, and run it at 30-60 fps.

poop.gif