Home General Discussion

Spider-man 3!!!!

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Easily could've been 3 movies, I would've loved to have seen Eddie Brock or Sandman's characters developed a LOT more. The symbiote could've been explained in a lot more depth, really, if you want to watch a well paced version of the Venom story, watch the FOX cartoon.

What the hell is with Peter turning into a dancing emo dude when he's supposed to be evil? That was my major gripe, the symbiote could've just sprung tap dancing shoes on his feet, it was that ridiculous.

Other than that, decent movie, cameos by Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell and Stan Lee were all really awesome. And that blonde as Gwen Stacy was damn smokin'.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Stan Lee's cameo was not awesome, it was unnecessary and added nothing to the film. Having Stan walk into shot now and then in other Marvel films isn't bad, but actually have him speak a few corny lines for no reason other than to pander to the fanboys is just ridiculous IMHO.
    Like many aspects of that movie, it would have lost nothing if he'd had a tiny, non-speaking appearance instead of a few cheesy lines. They could have cut 15 minutes off the running time if they'd just got rid of those unnecessary one-liners.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I burst out laughing when Stan Lee showed up. I was the only one in the theatre, though.

I guess they figured anyone who hadn't gotten the message of the films by then really needed him to just walk into shot and tell the camera.

The way the symbiote arrived was pretty amusing.

Eddie Brock's Venom teeth were pretty cool, though.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    You do realize that Stan Lee has appeared in the previous two Spiderman movies also, right? Whenever he appears, if he has a line, it's usually pretty cheesy, which I'm sure is intentional.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    They usually tried to incorporate it in some fashion into the story. like, as a bus driver or something.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when stan lee walked on, a friend of mine and me [this is the 1st time i watched the movie] yelled out "Stan Lee! Yeah baby!" and clapped our asses off! we got some weird looks from the crowd, but then they started clapping as if they'd look stupid if they didn't clap.... lol.
    then when i'd gone with my bro [second time] we kept [<-exaggeration] talking about the "American Flag" thing. don't get me wrong, we have nothing against americans anything, but u HAVE to agree with me saying that it was the most useless, and perhaps even instigating shot. [instigaet = "to make angry" right?]

he said the movie was "okay"... and he hated the first two, so its a big thing. He just felt that Venom was forced in, especially when he's such an important archenemy.... and somethings he'd said that i didn't notice: where was the "battle within" that was being advertised? i didn't see any actual struggle with himself? It wasn't "evil parker" as such.

peace
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Stan Lee's cameo was not awesome, it was unnecessary and added nothing to the film. Having Stan walk into shot now and then in other Marvel films isn't bad, but actually have him speak a few corny lines for no reason other than to pander to the fanboys is just ridiculous IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]
    His cameo actually made me think he's done appearing in Marvel films. I mean what is he now, ninety?

Frank the Avenger
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    then when i'd gone with my bro [second time] we kept [<-exaggeration] talking about the "American Flag" thing. don't get me wrong, we have nothing against americans anything, but u HAVE to agree with me saying that it was the most useless, and perhaps even instigating shot. [instigaet = "to make angry" right?]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the shot is cheesy and lame, but why would this make you (or anyone) angry? An American movie, by an American director, starring American actors, featuring a very recognizable American pop culture icon... The entire film is about as American as it gets, so I can't see how the flag would be offensive.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    lol , beeing pissed at a flag...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the American flag thing definitely was an obvious throw in. I believe that is taken directly from a few comic though. I don't think it was intended to instigate anything.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nono... not 'angry' at it.... just irritated. that.... "why"!? there was no reason...... lol
  • ill_logic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill_logic polycounter lvl 17
    as a commonality, spiderman's marvel's most popular hero. everyone knows spiderman. not in terms of the character, but that popularity makes him their answer to Superman. Superman stands for truth, justice, & the American way, but patrols Metropolis, a fictious city that siegel & shuster loosely based on Toronto (i had heard somewhere). Spiderman takes place in New York City. While the shot of him flipping in front of it was convenient & a little campy, that was my thought, & I didn't give the shot a second mind. the fact that people now seem to be having problems with that are goofy lol

(although, that having been said? for all intents & purposes, I still think spidey at a very rudimentary level is a luchador with super powers lol)

-J
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Foreigners also need to realize the difference in culture. Americans are very patriotic. We say the pledge of allegiance in the class room growing up. We sing the National Anthem before sports games while holding our hands over our heart and facing the flag. In all my travels, no other country's citizens have displayed their flag as often and as prominently as Americans display the American Flag. (on front porches, schools, public buildings, etc)

Like Verm said. American movie, made in America, by Americans. If it bothers you that much, create your own super heroes, make a movie about them, and then don't show them in front of a flag. I just don't understand why it's such a big deal to so many people.

poop.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I just realised, Spiderman 3 would make an awesome sandwich, so full of cheese and ham as it was laugh.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    for me the American flag scene was much more tolerable than the patriotism in the other two movies, since it was about a second long. The 'you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us' crap in the first movie made me want to curl into a ball and hope noone saw me in the theater, but should have expected it being post 9-11 and being set in NYC. and in the second movie the whole train scene where he is unmasked, being carried as a saviour and 'dont worry, we wont tell' crap made me want to leave.

and yeah.. where was teh 'struggle within'?
    about the only thing there was after he talked with his aunt and then went and sat on a church tower for a couple of minutes. that wasnt a struggle..
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Foreigners also need to realize the difference in culture. Americans are very patriotic. We say the pledge of allegiance in the class room growing up. We sing the National Anthem before sports games while holding our hands over our heart and facing the flag. In all my travels, no other country's citizens have displayed their flag as often and as prominently as Americans display the American Flag. (on front porches, schools, public buildings, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw we do that all the time too laugh.gif He had to stand up and sing our national song before school in the morning, and we have the song broadcast in every radio/TV channel at 6PM where people on the street stops what they're doing and stand still. laugh.gif He even have our king's song playing before every movie plays in the theatre.

About the flag scene, that on it's own isn't bad. It's just... with all the children cheering and the super cheesy reporter... the flag scene kinda helps add to the cheesiness imo...
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    same here poop [u haven't come to india frown.gif].... every morning at school assembly: National Anthem and then this other song that tells of "how good india is." [i think its the national 'song' (as opposed to anthem?) We've got the whole 'flag' thing too, even in the schools we might have 'flag boys' and special days to commemorate the flag... every school textbook has the Preamble to our Constitution in the 1st page bla bla bla
    We're crazy-patriots too.... but u won't catch a Bollywood [read indian-mainstream] movie where the flag is being wiggled about etc. etc. on purpose. Our heroes don't wear saffron-white-green clothes, standing in front of the indian flag.

i don't mind patriotism. im all for it. everybody has the right to be proud of their country [and they should be]. But please... what's with the flag in the middle of nowhere. I can understand it if it were subtle and u happen to catch it, but this was just forced.
    Its like... suppose spiderman webs in a coca cola and drinks it... fine. Its not some crappy 'forced advertising.' But then if he goes "Look at that delicious can of coke! Even spidey can't resist that" and the camera focusses on the can with the webbing coming and the words coca-cola facing the audience... THAT gets annoying.

Similarly, the flag wasn't needed to be focussed on in that scene. Its not like the Union Jack is being taken down and the Indian Tricolour is being put up [hoisted?] or the Union Jack is being brought down and the American flag being put up. Its just... not needed as a [very obvious] focal point.

i'm not angry at the "american flag" or anything ni particular. i have no beef with any country, Pakistanis, British, Americans, Portuguese, Egyptians, Japanese, Germans, Koreans [north and south]... i have no problem with any1.

now, after that excessively long post [that some may find irritating]:
    by the way.... call me crazy: just saw the movie a 3rd time... and no... im not on drugs!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    It's a stereotypical hero entrance.

It helps to draw in the 'yee-haw' middle american who doesnt know anything about Spiderman being a hero of the people/city. And being right before the big battle, it reminds the viewer that he is no longer 'emo' Spidey but hero Spidey again.

Don't think too hard on it tongue.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    for me the American flag scene was much more tolerable than the patriotism in the other two movies, since it was about a second long. The 'you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us' crap in the first movie made me want to curl into a ball and hope noone saw me in the theater, but should have expected it being post 9-11 and being set in NYC. and in the second movie the whole train scene where he is unmasked, being carried as a saviour and 'dont worry, we wont tell' crap made me want to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Er...how were those two scenes 'patriotic' at all? Do people abroad not care about other people at all?

Frank the Avenger
  • ill_logic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill_logic polycounter lvl 17
    mind you a majority of the first movie was shot before 9/11. anyone remember that one teaser trailer? crooks escaping via helicopter & there being a giant web between the twin towers? sure there might have been a few reshoots & digital erasing after the fact, but i don't think patriotism or 9/11 had that much to do with the vibe. or at least not as much as snemmy seems to play it up.
    he wasn't a mutant. in the comics, people either loved him or hated him. and the way he gets treated in the movie seems pretty on par. besides, are you not going to be grateful to someone who just risked their life to save yours? cuz that's just inconsiderate lol

-J
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm. I think the whole thing was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. When your director is Ham Raimi, you are going to get some pretty corny stuff, and I'm thinking the flag bit is just his jab at the whole patriotic-heroic schtick.

The man responsible for Evil Dead is probably not a flag-waving zealot, you know?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    It was ok, but not as good as the first two. This is mainly because though, like a lot of people have said, it could've easily been two movies, and there were a lot of cheezy, or forced moments. That and a lot of deus ex machina style plot developments. Like how Harry's butler lets Harry carry around a vendetta against Peter for months before the film starts, and then kicks back while Harry flies around NYC like a jackass, beats the shit out of Peter some more, and then gets his face mangled in an explosion before finally saying "Oh by the way, your dad accidently killed himself with his glider" so that Harry and Peter can be all buddy buddy for the final showdown.