Home General Discussion

Dominance War Winners and Thoughts

Replies

• IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10

Congrats Mop and Tully. Your entry was my favorite and would pwn that chicken legged mech in a fight. wink.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i'm not entirely sure how the whole point system works, but i don't think it works very well... as some people said peppi and mop both got 3 votes for 1st place, whereas the winner placed mostly 2nd, 4th or 5th and only once for first, so it seems like a system that rewards consistant mediocrity as opposed to just flat out excellence. same deal with that robot by ez5k its a really good piece, but it got mostly either 2nd, 4th or 5th spots and only once for 1st, and yet it still ended up placing higher than peppi, who got 3 votes for 1st place, and then just wasn't even placed by alot of other judges.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I have to say, I'm a little bit dissapointed that Polycount didn't win overall. Now, I don't actually have any right to complain about that, since I didn't submit an entry. You can't complain about losing a war when you don't bother to fight. But after last years victory I was kind of hoping that the green and black would come out on top again.

Congratulations to all of the polycount participants. I was very impressed with the final models from these boards. Top-shelf material, all around. And to be fair, some of our opponents really came through as well. That first-placed entry was certainly a sight to behold.

I'm already eager to see how the next Dominance War begins to take shape. I hope they release the brief on it sooner this time. I need more of a head start to participate. (I know, I'm a pansy)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    grats to the winnars.
    thanks to the judges and organizers.
    cheers for our polycounters.

curious, what's with Alfredo Chaves picking 5 1st place winners? am i seeing that right?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I had wondered the same thing KP... without comment also
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    Echoing others' sentiment on bizarre judging choices. My personal favorite of the contest was Moppet Man's space marine chick, which didn't even break the top 10. Peppi was a for sure top3 I figured, but I guess the old saying is true...
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

haha
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suggest that those who donated to the contest either personally or those who work for a company that donated prizes, speak up about the judging for the next war.

I don't agree with whatever method they are pointing people.

Rawkstar pretty much summed up how I feel.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Gratulation to the winners and of course to all who participated.
    For me the polycount army was the strongest! smile.gif

After i read the most of the judges comments i think a few of them are counting the concept the most and not the execution. ...but thats only my stinky opinion.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what the judges were smoking, but I want some of it. Taehoon's entry was good, sure, but it certainly wasn't the best. It fell flat compared to a lot of other entries that somehow didn't even make it into the finals...

Really, really disappointing. Congratulations on third, Mop and Tully, even if you really did deserve better.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after viewing the judges page... man... can we get some people that actually deal with characters as their career, not some producer or whatever.

This makes me want to enter the next Dom War even less now.

Hey Fred, how about next time we have 3 or 4 really good judges instead of 687463184316845?
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! I can't really disagree with the #1 choice as that was the first one to jump out at me.

The rest of the field is completely jacked imho..
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Odd. When I first looked over the winners last night, I didn't really have a problem with (most of) the choices.

But today after looking at them all again, I'm left scratching my head. I'm not going to say who should have won, and who shouldn't have, but some of those picks seem REALLY out of place. Some have problems with their design itself, but what I have a problem with is some of the winners execution. There were CLEARLY better entries.

And also after reading the judges comments, I'm left even more confused. Reading them, I got the impression that ez5k's entry was a shoe-in for the top honor. It was mentioned by nearly every single judge. Strange.
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - FredH - polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, strange results eh?

vahl --> Well said smile.gif

skankerzero --> There were only two sponsors for the event. cg-academy provided the dvds. Nonetheless, with more forums joining, the judging system will have to be re-invented once again. It will either be based on the olympics where each forum can only send their top 20, or, there will be a weekly ilimination round so that only the best remain, and get voted and commented on. Voting on all entries together is purely impossible as their will probably be 200+ finalists next year..

concept art will be an official category next year.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for putting this together Fred! No matter how the judging went, I got to see a whole ton of really awesome game art.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    again i have to say a big THX to fredH.. to organize alle this and manage the website the entrys and the judges-votings is damn much work

and with a better voting system i think dw3 could realy realy be a sick comp in a positiv way smile.gif
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    Well, I was surprised by some of the choices as well. I stand by my choices.

Mop (congrats), Spark, Muppet Man and Wyldwulf, I apologize but I could only pick 3.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    concept art will be an official category next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fred: Booyah! I'll hold you to that wink.gif *starts sketching*
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    omg that #4 green mech is rad!

The quality of work in there is pretty staggering. Some great shit. I really like the #2, really solid stuff.

save those models for ut3! smile.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Fred, I think Dominance War is great, and really pushes artists to do some serious sweet pieces, which we then all get to see. So thanks for doing it, also Parisite:) No worries man, there was some serious competition, and just happy to at least get a vote here and there:)

Spark
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    As far as the voting system goes I can see how hard it would be to pick favorites. Honestly I think it would be hard to pick any of these because there are so many entries that are just so kick ass.

Maybe a type of voting / poll system could be designed along with having judges to help make the final decision. It would have to be designed so people can't log like 20 votes for one person but it may be a good way to do it.

BUT what do I know I just build environments. haha.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    after viewing the judges page... man... can we get some people that actually deal with characters as their career, not some producer or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?
    Directors of strategic planning are totally knowledgeable on the topic...
    Also, this years results make me want to enter and finish even more. They tell me that i at least have a chance at the random draw.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, Mop you came in 3rd, just incredible, i must say you had lots of competition this year there was a ton of great entries. Congratulation friend, this is an amazing news, i'll remember this one.

Great texturing by the way .. just woow !
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    BTW for all the people just congratulating me, remember that Tully did half the work too smile.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    BTW for all the people just congratulating me, remember that Tully did half the work too smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Congratulation Tully (and not Mop). If it's true that both did half of the work, it's abundantly clear who did the good half. Next year you should drop your partner. He's only bringing you down. crazy.gif
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats not just to the top 3/10/x/whatever, but to anyone who finished. I know I've had a great learning experience, and I think everyone has. I've read the judges' choices and I'll probably go by every entry one of these days.

I'm not a great fan of some of the top spots, most notably Taehoon's. A bald, half covered, face is just a really poor design element, in my personal opinion. It's a great work of art, don't get me wrong, but I think the concept wasn't as full of character as some others were.

MoP/Tully, you guys performed best if you combine both Dominance Wars. I think this year's entry was much more interesting than the last one. If the next one is as much better, PC will go home with the grand-prize for DWIII wink.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, anyone know why reptu got an interview? He didn't win anything, as far as I could tell.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Gotta throw in and give my Kudos to Mop/Tully. The polish on that piece was top notch.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    Edit: Oh yeah, anyone know why reptu got an interview? He didn't win anything, as far as I could tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

he made a rabbit on a pig with a dick-rocket .... i guess laugh.gif
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?
    Directors of strategic planning are totally knowledgeable on the topic...
    Also, this years results make me want to enter and finish even more. They tell me that i at least have a chance at the random draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where I'm coming from with this is that when you deal with this day in and out, you pick up on things like good topology.

Number 6 is a good example of bad topology. I don't think a single person here can look at that and say otherwise. Bad shoulders, non existant knee and elbow rings.

These are the things I thought were going to be judged along with the overall final presentation. Afterall, a character is only so good in a beauty render, it actually needs to be able to animate.

This is why I'm confused at some of the choices for judges.

Just because some people are good painters, schedulers or just in the industry doesn't make them ideal judges.

Great 'random draw' comment to. smile.gif That's why someone like me is pushed away from entering the contest. So many judges just lowers the average on any one given entry.

While I give my thumbs up to Fred and crew for putting this together, the end result seems to have just fallen apart, and it's very noticeable from the comments I see here.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    While I give my thumbs up to Fred and crew for putting this together, the end result seems to have just fallen apart, and it's very noticeable from the comments I see here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here, but would also like to really stress how much i appreciate the immense amount of effort that fred put into this too, i'm sure its probablly a little disheartening seeing people upset with the outcome.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    Aside from my earlier comments, I will say that great big kudos goes out to Fred H for orginizing this whole thing. It's gotta be a giant pain in the ass, and with everyone arguing about the results now it's gotta be kind of a downer for him.

Thanks for setting this up Fred.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he made a rabbit on a pig with a dick-rocket .... i guess laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea kind of a pointless decision
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Yea the choice's seem odd but like mop said it's the judges call and opinions.

The 1st place winner is picked by 8 of the 15 judges, majority rules?

Great Job to everyone.

So much eyecandy, so little time.

DWIII is in August.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picked by 8 judges, but not to win confused.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    If there was the comedy award, I think this one would get it http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/1/team1/preview_finals_1_592.html

The comic at the bottom had be laughing pretty loud.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to all who finished and those that came out on top as well. I didn't enter this year but did the previous year. I appreciate the hard work and effort it must take to set this up and pull it off like others have said above. I also see the results and scratch my head with what i see.

I would like to offer up an idea though to Fred on a possible way to soften the blow next go around. It would be interesting to offer up maybe a people's choice vote or even category to the fray. There seems to be a lot of noise about not understanding or agreeing with the judge's choice(s) and that will always happen, but maybe if we the forum members could vote with a people's choice award for 3 placings it might make for some interesting results. It definitely would be interesting to see the difference between what peers of participants thought versus an "official" judgeing. Just a thought and thanks again to Fred and any involved in putting it all together.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    TKfrog, good idea as long as we can only vote on the stuff from the site. IE we would only get to vote on PC stuff.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    You know, I paid these guys serious money to rig the contest, and then they turn around and be all honest and stuff. This is not democracy! hehehe. Good job all, way to go Mopster.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of patriotism here, which isn't all that bad. So we lost the war this year (and only this year) and it seems really hard to accept the loss because it seems so personal because we had a title to defend. We did our best and that's all anyone could ask.
    I think the judging for the future should be based off a score system where points are lost for poor topology and UV map usage, etc. Just like judging in the Olympics, where points are calculated based off execution, style, technicality and not just which they thought looked best. So it will seem like a more fair judging system rather than a judges favourite.
    We can't be sour, we just have to bow down and take it like men (and women for the odd few in here) and should see this as a bigger challenge for the next one.
    Finally, mad props for everything Fred, for putting this on and organising everything. Huge effort! Many thanks to anyone else that contributed in keeping the War alive whether they entered (and/or finished), tested, donated, encouraged and/or gave gauss a place to stay while he was traveling (or bought him lunch wink.gif). I know I'll be marching on the battlefield with you all on the next one, and we'll wave our flag high! Greentooth will prevail.

-caseyjones
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres what I calculated...

Polycount: 22 placings, 6 X 1st, 4 X 2nd, 4 X 3rd, 4 X 4th, 4 X 5th

3Dtotal: 22 Placings, 4 X 1st, 8 X 2nd, 0 X 3rd, 4 X 4th, 6 X 5th

CGChat: 16 Placings, 2 X 1st, 3 X 3rd, 6 X 3rd, 1 X 4th, 4 X 5th

CGSociety: 15 Placings, 3 X 1st, 0 X 2nd, 5 X 3rd, 6 X 4th, 1 X 5th

Very very close, I think 1st place's are more important. Feel free to calculate the results yourself incase I am wrong mad.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I like this idea Casey, as it will showcase all the different areas that one needs to cover in the game industry. Also, it could be used as a helpfull guide to others as to how some people uv, and topologize the geometry for animation and so forth, and I for one think that this competition should be about all parts of creation, rather than just concentrating on specific areas.
    Spark
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    #2 looked to me like a crappy concept with a crappy model presented with a lot of (edit: cheap american) fancy show-off effects. how could this top peppi's? well, like per said, i also have to say, pep's presentation seems pretty humble in comparison. cool and original - just not as flashy. since imo it tops #2 from every possible angle, the only factor that i could suppose gave #2 advantage is the flashy glowy stuff.

congrats to winners, anyways, and thanks again to fredh
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea thats what I was thinking shotgun. Apparently GI in every shot, glowies and paintovers = win. I thought it was a realtime character art comp.

But yea congrats to those who did well in the comp, and thanks FredH
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks to FredH and anyone else that worked to pull this all together. It had to be a monumental task. Looking forward to the next comp. Hoping to actually have time to compete in one of these in the future.

Congrats to ALL the entrants that finished and even those that didnt but learned something along the way.

While I dont agree with the outcome I was still inspired by some of the best character art I have seen developed damn near first hand through these forums like a real time tutorial. For someone that is looking to find a place in this industry that was really fucking cool.

Kudos ALL!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So how were the scores added up? By my (possibly inaccurate) calculations adding up Asmuel's (also possibly inaccurate) calculations, Polycount should be 6 or so points ahead of 3D Total.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    you really don't need GI or paintovers, last year i actually just rendered everything with omnis and some fairly lowres shadowmaps... which is pretty much what current games out there have going, and no post editing either, the right lighting can do the job, i think peppis presentation is one of the best actually, its simple, but its really well done, it looks almost like painting its the most kickass thing i've seen in awhile.

and Tbone?? lol where did that guy come from? Totally awesome entry!

as for wyldwulf (#2) i thought it was quite cool, except the textures looked really gamy, other than that it would have looked spot on in gears of war, it looked like he just needed to rely less on the diffuse map and let the other maps do the work.

I also liked muppet man's chick ALOT i don't know why she didn't place higher.

Red Republik's entry was also really good, love that ripped up helmet, thats another entry which should have done much better than it did.

I don't think the ones that made it to #6 #7 #8 and #10 really belong there, but oh well too late now. I'm also really excited to see sooo many really good entries, there were so many more really good ones compared to last year, i can't even imagine what this will be like next year smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heres what I calculated...

Polycount: 22 placings, 6 X 1st, 4 X 2nd, 4 X 3rd, 4 X 4th, 4 X 5th

3Dtotal: 22 Placings, 4 X 1st, 8 X 2nd, 0 X 3rd, 4 X 4th, 6 X 5th

CGChat: 16 Placings, 2 X 1st, 3 X 3rd, 6 X 3rd, 1 X 4th, 4 X 5th

CGSociety: 15 Placings, 3 X 1st, 0 X 2nd, 5 X 3rd, 6 X 4th, 1 X 5th

Very very close, I think 1st place's are more important. Feel free to calculate the results yourself incase I am wrong mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ok let say the following;

1st = 5pts
    2nd = 4pts
    3rd = 3pts
    4th = 2pts
    5th = 1pt

polycount = 70pts
    3d total = 66pts

not to be bitter but, hello?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking its just whoever scored #1 ?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to everyone, Mop and Tully especially. On the note of selections though. Yeah. I don't have anything really to add to whats been said already. Some of them really shouldn't have placed how they placed, and its not just polycount bias, there are cgtalk, cgchat, and 3DTotal models that by far should've outplaced some of what was up there.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    btw, a little O/T sorry, but I get major page corruption on the entire dominancewar site in firefox and i.e. Images just dont load properly. Same on my GF's mac. Weirdness....anyone else?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    best cgsociety showing was 7th place smile.gif
    ahem.. yes there are maybe some questions left hanging about the judging, since i agree with per's assessment of the #1 spot, but overall it was a smashing good contest all around. pity i couldn't be a more active participant in it this year, but i'll definitely be around for part III.
    hats off (rats off to ya!) to all polycount entries, especially Mop and Tully. you done us proud! smile.gif

edit: oh yeah, and it also just reinforces my belief that guidelines/"theme" are always best ignored for these sorts of things.