Home General Discussion

Dominance War Winners and Thoughts

mod
Offline / Send Message
Geezus mod
The winners are in! LINK!!!1one1!
3DTotal pulled in 1st with a very well deserving piece from Taehoon Oh.

Congrats to MoP and Tully on the 3rd place!
Awesome work Peppi and TBone on winning best of Polycount also!

I've been hitting refresh all day, anxious to see some of the best game art work in the world in one place! Awesome job from polycount all around, top notch. :]

Discuss.

Replies

• spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    fun to finally see that stuff! Congrats to the winners smile.gif

Its funny if you check to see who did the interviews theres that rocket rabbit character.. and I think its been pulled from the compeition as he doesnt appear in the champions list!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    FOR FUCK'S SAKE, how about posting a link to exactly wtf you are talking about!??! Seems like a lot of people here have forgotten how to do that!!!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but its a damn nice piece nonetheless.

Mad props indeed to Mop and Tully for third place. Likewise to Peppi and TBone for taking out the second and third Polycount positions.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    FOR FUCK'S SAKE, how about posting a link to exactly wtf you are talking about!??! Seems like a lot of people here have forgotten how to do that!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine most people knew what I was talking about. Sort of like telling someone to GOOGLE IT. Some things don't need links. But I edited my original post to link...for fuck's sake ofcourse. :]
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Just because I knew what you were talking about doesn't mean that I had the site bookmarked or the URL memorized. And even if I did, it saves your co-forum whores from having to type in a URL or search through their bookmarks. Posting a link to the subject of your post is just a common courtesy, IMO.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    How hard is it to memorize dominancewar.com? The site itself isn't hard to navigate and find what's going on. There's always google.
    *shrugs*
    Congrats to all the polycounters that finished in the top10 and everyone who finished their entries. We'll reclaim our title in the next war!

-caseyjones
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    nice work polycount!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic work, guys. I am a bit surprised at the winning entries, but mostly because it's hard to say what the themes were. I think stricter guidelines might be more helpful next year, just so we can tell what is what. The runner-up looks like someone wanted to put Wolverine in Gears of War, just a bit distubing smile.gif
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Grats to the winners, especially Mop & Tully.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to everyone who won, some of the finalists are really surprisng, and i think some are really a stretch and there were much better entries. So disapointed to see that some of what i thought were really strong entires didnt show up.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Yaeh congrats to all the winners from polycount. Was a good war, and we will retake it I'm sure next year. I was also suprised by some of the choices, and one I had never even seen from 3d total was a nice suprise.

Spark
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    congrats MoP and Tully! you did us proud!

Pretty stiff competition there

btw: does anyone else think that 8th and 10th are pretty awful? Vahl and paultosca should have grabbed those spots with their ladies.

judges must favour naked man flesh and robots instead I guess.

1st place was "Concepts by James Chung & Karl Ostlund" so that guy is gonna have to do some mighty sharing with the prizes! I like it's meccha flavour, next time they should just let everyone do cyborgs.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I think awful is a bit strong, but I'd be inclined to agree that some of these are definitely a surprise.
    Personally I'm really not sure about the winner. Fantastic design, but the execution of the face feels naive to me.
    Congrats MoP and Tully! Honestly every aspect of your creation from the concept to the quality of the execution was just top notch work. Probably my favourite entry.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Taehoons was fucking CRAZY i totally agree

number 10 i was eh on, thought there were some that deserved to be in top 10 that were definitely better.. oh well :\
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats to the winners. Definitely a few in there that I didn't think would make the top 10. And some that aren't in there I thought should have been (re: Vahls!)...

Oh well, next year!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Great job to everyone! Some damned strong entries in there.

Good to see that I'm not the only one who found some of the judging erm... "questionable" though. (Specifically, both Peppi and MoP got more votes for 1st than the 1st place winner, yet neither won. The hell?)

Oh well, great job to everyone, and the winners especially. Don't mean to discount anyones entry by saying what I did, more just how the judging was done.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I also agree the judging on this one turned out just.. bizarre.

Bloody good job everyone.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    There is some top notch stuff in there.

I was surprised at some of the choices, purely for where they fell in regards to the design brief (though to be fair that concept was abandoned by many early on).

I'd have placed M&T higher (but that's cos Paul is such a nice chap!)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    yea.. i have to admit, the ranking is lil bit wired..

t-bone is 3rd polycounter but not under the top 10 but i ?!?!? and vals entry?! ... wired....
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Congrats, everyone. Surprised not to see Vahl's entry up there, though...
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    yeah i say polycounts entries were definitely the most polished looking peppi and mop/tully would have been on my top 2 battling it out, i really DON'T like the winner... just too strogg for my taste, and really not all that well presented, but hey it won, how about that.

congrats to everyone!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    congrats MoP and Tully! you did us proud!

Pretty stiff competition there

btw: does anyone else think that 8th and 10th are pretty awful? Vahl and paultosca should have grabbed those spots with their ladies.

judges must favour naked man flesh and robots instead I guess.

1st place was "Concepts by James Chung & Karl Ostlund" so that guy is gonna have to do some mighty sharing with the prizes! I like it's meccha flavour, next time they should just let everyone do cyborgs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Congrats, everyone. Surprised not to see Vahl's entry up there, though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Vahl got robbed, should have been top 5.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Some fantastic stuff (some? loads!). My favourite was Peppi's, I love that one (just a bit more than some others).

I think next year they should be stricter about the theme. It was supposed to be stealthy, but it seems almost everyone ignored that. The work was still amazing, but it seems a bit pointless to have a brief if hardly anyone actually sticks to the criteria.

PS. Big grats to MoP and Tully smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Wow not really what I would have expected for the top 10 but they were the judges and it was their choices.

We were judged by our peers and when that happens well even an innocent man can be tossed into the electric chair. Good work to everyone that entered and finished. It's really hard to get that much work done on top of all the stuff you have to do at work everyday.

Can't wait for next year.

So now lets get talking about some UT3 maps based off Dom War winners.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I don't really agree at all of the order... Alot of it just didn't work for me at all. The first place winner had lots of style, but the head killed it for me(the other version was much cooler). Second place as well detailed as it is the concept just didn't do anything for me at all. Great work all around, but i don't agree with the results.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I hope on the next war, people are forced to stick to the brief a bit closer.

wish I'd had time to do some work on this comp...
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    It was a good competition with lots of great art. Does it really matter if the ones we liked the most dont win?
    They still have that great character that they made.

There! I'm talking like the looser I am laugh.gif haha wink.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Specifically, both Peppi and MoP got more votes for 1st than the 1st place winner, yet neither won. The hell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think there were so many judges with widely varying tastes that the results were very hard to calculate. For instance, while Peppi and us got a number of 1st place choices, there were more judges who didn't even mention us, so I guess it brings the average lower.

Ah well, 3rd is still higher than we ever hoped to place! It's funny reading some of the judges' critiques, a lot of what they said would have improved it, was actually stuff we had planned from the start but didn't have the time/resources to pull off ... reassuring, in a way smile.gif

Personally I'm just amazed Peppi's entry didn't place higher than ours, it was one of my favourites from all the forums, yet some judges didn't even mention it. Agreed with some previous posts that some of the judges' choices seemed a tad... odd smile.gif

Anyway, many thanks to all the people who dropped into our progress thread and fed us critiques and compliments to improve the piece and keep us going... it was a fun contest, and we will definitely be in if it's back next year!

Cheers smile.gif
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats MoP and Tully, well deserved. I have to disagree with the 2nd place and some of the finalist choices, but that's just me, I'm just voicing my opinion and not trying to sew seeds of angry rage at anyone (me). smile.gif Brilliant artwork, I'm telling my grandkids about this. wink.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I've to agree about the weird ranking choises on this one. When I see some of the last postions entries and entries like this one ( http://www.dominancewar.com/wallpapers/2/wall_rvel_1024.jpg ) which isn't present anywhere it just doesn't make any sence to me...

Anyways, congratz to people who really deserve it ! smile.gif

Damn, I should finish this model tongue.gif
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was at first not too unhappy with the result. then when i looked at them closely, i realized that they were warped! don't wanna get ppl pissed, and definately don't wanna offend anybody or anything, but in all honesty, Polycount shoulda' won! This is not about being a sour loser or anything... but honestly, #2 and #8 and #10 were way off, #9 [rollin's fly character i believe?] shoulda been higher up, Peppie shoulda bin one of the top spots....... so much more [which i can't remember].

hope i didn;t make enemies, or insult anybody. These were just my honest opinions. Oh.. and i shoulda won 1st place!! [lol... that's a joke in case some peeps are lacking a sense of humour atm]

Congrats to Mop and Tully.. though i expected them to rank EVEN higher.

and congrats to all polycounters who have their names on that list.

peace
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone's entitled to their opinions, just as the judges are, so while we may not agree with the choices they made, we must respect that... smile.gif
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words smile.gif I definitely agree about a few that placed quite high being really strange, but for obvious reasons I can't argue too much from where I sit. Congrats to everybody who participated! I can only hope the competition will be as inspiring next year.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Come on, I know you all want to say it:

The judges were paid off!
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah... I dunno. Those were some "interesting" choices.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Peppi's design was awesome its ashamed it got overlooked...welldone to everyone else
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I really think peppi should have taken #1 but hey. You can't get what you want all the time... smile.gif

Peppi's model screams hardcore all the way through.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    congrats to all the finalists, oddly enough, these choices don't surprise me at all, even if some are not of my taste, each judge was chosen for specific reasons and nobody is interested in a competition where you already know how the judges will vote, that would be too easy, just pick something you know they'll like and win, there's no competition.
    As I said several time, for me, this contest was first a contest against myself, to finish something, make choices and stick to them, to end up with a piece I like, and I think I succeded in that.

once again, congrats to all the winners, they deserve it, and congrats to everyone who finished, they are quite often forgotten but they put as much work as the winners in their entry and not being picked, given the high quality of the entries doens't mean their entry was bad, just means judges have different tastes.

thanks again to all the people who organized that, fred and all the forum leaders, that was something huge and I have the feeling the domwar3 will be even bigger I hope you'll keep that energy for the next one that was awesome guys. thanks smile.gif

see you next year laugh.gif

and thanks for the good words guys, that's really appreciated.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to everyone that managed to finish an entry. MoP and Tully well done, I actually thought 1st and 2nd would be between yourselves and Peppi. Vahl snubbed dude bad luck. Muppet man's entry was cgchats strongest entry IMHO.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Thats fucked! Peppi and Mop both got voted 1st by 3 judges each, team biggun only got voted 1st by one judge and won!

I didnt even get a mention! Seriously Fucked!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    rollin got robbed.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I can't believe Spacemonkey, Spark, and Paultosca were so overlooked. I think their pieces clearly outrank some of the other top 10. There were many other great pieces too. But like it's been stated, we should respect the judges decisions and it was some pretty tight competition.
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, while I did say I didn't approve of some of their decisions I certainly appreciate the huge amount of work they had. Don't get me wrong on that, please, judging that many entries would be a hellish task.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    that's the shit. very dissapointed by judjes's choices.
    peppi won.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Mop & Tully had the best entry of this board in my opinion and it'll be interesting to see if they allow for teams next year, if so I'll be looking to partner up! See ya all on the battlefield next time around guys, DW2 was awesome.

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios

PS: CG Chat was robbed!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    this contest was first a contest against myself, to finish something, make choices and stick to them, to end up with a piece I like, and I think I succeded in that.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT Vahl
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Speaking of next time, it sounds like DW3 might only be a few months off.
    http://www.dominancewar.com/preliminaries/index.htm
  • Mansir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mansir polycounter lvl 18
    congrats MoP and Tully! Great job!

.. yeah, I'm still scratching my head at some of these..
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG!! What the fuck happened to VAHL?!?!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, seing as this is the probably biggest game art comp ever on the net, you'd think comprehensive judging would be a must. Sumea's comps have a clear points system, so judges have to actually have to deeply evaluate each entry.