Home General Discussion

Spider-man 3!!!!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
Well the movie every comic book nerd and geek alike (thats you) came out, anyone go to the midnight showing? I shall be going at noon.

Reviews: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spiderman_3/

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    My whole department is leaving early as well, we're catching the 1:55pm showing smile.gif
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I'm catching it tomorrow. Our local cinema is packed already, but tomorrow had some free tickets so I booked for then. Means I wont have to deal with as many spoilt brat kids dressed as Spiderman.

Besides, my costumes better.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    we pre-purchased tickets for tonight smile.gif
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Not as good as the first and second one. I thought the pacing was a bit too fast, and it lacked the oh shit choice moments in the first two (save the girl or save the kids, save the train or go after octo)
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I'm going in half an hour. 9SM show. Hoping it will be empty.
    There's a 6AM show on IMAX here too. Wonder if there'd be anyone at all.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was kinda 'meh'.

There were some plot holes that felt rushed. Pacing was WAY off.

All this was expected though when you try and put 3 villains in the story.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    french bruce campbell = w1n

spiderman = lose
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    It was WAY worse than the other two. I think they got arrogant and thought that they could get away with anything so they threw in all of these cheesy scenes and ruined the movie..(for me)

Sand man effects were cool though.
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    Too much bad talking , too little action. Venom for only 20 minutes *sigh*. He doesnt deserve that!
    frown.gif

And they really talked me to death!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    dammit, I was gonna go tonight or tomorrow but you guys are definitely turning me off. I loved the first two
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm still going tonight. I enjoyed the 1st and 2nd movies, i didn't read the comics, but i really like watching awesome effects laugh.gif
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some very cheesy parts yes but I still like this film. The worst part I think was when the film cut to those monotone reporters in the middle of the final fight >.> that's so lame. I don't think this one was as emotional as the 2nd but it's still fun and packed with pretty good actions.

They leave the ending pretty open.... Venom will be back, I'm pretty sure.

[ QUOTE ]
    (save the girl or save the kids, save the train or go after octo)

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't think that's much of a choice. Because he saved both the kids and the girl. And choosing to save the train over chasing Octo was pretty obvious.

something fun to read
    http://www.themoistness.com/sh/
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    went to a morning show (9:45 am)--it was nice, there was an almost empty theatre.
    fun movie..not great, not even 'good', but it was certainly not the train wreck xmen 3 was. I was entertained. rottentomato-o-meter is pretty accurate on this one.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    -=possible spoiler=-?

i really wish there was only the sandman and spidey/osborn team up and no venom. talk about rush jobs. if the damn movie ended where the venom goop lands on brock that would have been great. a movie TOTALLY devoted to the venom baddie would have been a lot better than this shoehorned crappola i saw today ><

ans as stated above, the character development and pacing was terrible. i can picture the movie execs directing this one and making all the choice decisions that lead to this 'meh' story.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Just got back from it an hour ago, I loved it. I didnt really have any problems with the things most of those posting prior to me did.

It felt like the logical progression, there was a lot packed in there and I enjoyed that.

r.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saw the first day first show in india yesterday. I was actually pretty happy with the movie. The few things i didn't like were the lame sections after the "black suit"... u know.... the dancing down the street and stuff.... plus, the fact that Venom [my favourite baddie by far] got so little screen time was annoying [even though he was made really well when he finally came]. I didn't like sandman as much as i thought i would, but that might be because i hate those big-type, slow moving guys... i prefer the quick, agile fights etc. New goblin was good... except for the "ending" hint hint nudge nudge to the ppl who've seen the movie already.

Over all, it was okay-good.... but the best part of that movie-hall experience was watching the Pirates of the Carribbean 3 trailer laugh.gif!!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What spiderman 3 didn't need:
    MaryJane singing and a lot of "i love you" moments.

Venom was on-screen for such a short time and was killed even quicker. The sandman effects were awesome! as was the alien black creature. Having not read any of the comics, going as a movie go'er I reeally enjoyed it! The harry Potter trailer was awesome btw laugh.gif

• Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry Potter trailer was really dark and serious.

*spoiler spoiler*

We don't really see Venom died. The bomb blew up, then we see tiny piece of Venom's part burning. It leaves a lot of possibility that Venom may have escaped. Even more possible because it got back on it's host at the very last moment.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *spoiler continuation plus speculations*

well, if the Symbiote did survive, Venom still isn't coming back. When Brock jumped into the bomb-blast, he definately died, and Eddie Brock + Symbiote IS Venom... So venom himself isn't coming back. Maybe another symbiote, but not the Venom.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I loved it as well.
    You have to figure that Peter was going through an identity crisis during his black suit phase. If any of you have seen someone going through an identity crisis, you'd certainly recognize it in Peter Parker.
    I didn't feel it was rushed, either. It moved along rather well. Some said there was to much love story, but I didn't feel as though there was.
    The end battle was awesome. The sandman visuals were really top notch (gotta love the whole glass-arm segment). Very cool stuff. I'll be seeing it again for sure.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I must say, I loved it. I walked in there half expecting to be dissapointed by the reviews and such, but not at all. While I agree venom should have probably gotten a full movie to him (WTF was with his voice?? needed to be more raspy!), I'd rather have the next movie if there is one be all about carnage and shit.

Goth/Emo parker was awesome.

I was going to go in the morning but I felt like shit and slept late, so I went at night. Line was 4x around the whole place and it's a small ass theater.. nearly all of the showings went to spiderman and it was still packed/sold out.

but yeah all and all I really enjoyed myself.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was awesome. I loved the action, and the comedy bits were pretty funny too.

I swear, some of you guys can find a flaw in every movie in existence. You have to remember they have to change things around to adapt a thousands-of-comics storyline to a few movies storyline.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    tried to go to the midnight showing, sold out.

was going to go today since it is free for students on fridays, my friend(who is a huuuuuge Spidey fan) had to go to the ER (she's doing fine now)

going to try to go sometime today
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    BOOOOOOO

Venom deserved his own movie...
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    What the fuck was that trash. Pretty cool sandman effects... Venom was terrible and cool at the same time, I have no idea how they managed that. WTF was that cheese ball 10 minutes of Fanz crapola. I could go on for a day. When you try to fit two movies into one, I guess this is the terrible shit that happens.

Edit: Snemmy, someone does not want you seeing this movie.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH
    OH MY GOD
    EMO PETER PARKER.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    ok movie, I liked it more than Spider 2.

I forget names... but Goblin Jr. He was pretty funny when he didnt remember shit. Its like he was high.

Best part of the movie because it was actually pretty funny under the circumstances: pete parker looks in that mirror, and pulls his bangs down to become goth and went "strutting" I laughed so hard.

Another funny audience moment. When parker hits MJ.. all the people in the theater and mostly the girls went .. "awwww.." in discust and sadness, then this one guy yelled .... "YEAHY !!!!!" Then everyone with a sence of humor laughed.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    haha thats funny swampbug
    yeah dancing emo peter was really funny
    what is the story of carnage? time to do some wikipedia reading...
  • ill_logic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill_logic polycounter lvl 17
    better than one, worse than two.
    dunst was irritating & throughout, i was kind of hoping she was going to get the same treatment as gwen stacy in the comic (snap!). peter parker is not emo. every thing about whichever-goblin he was stunk, though the first fight was done pretty well.
    but venom was not only done wrong, it all just seemed tacked on at the very end. Either it should had venom or not. but just 20 minutes of... ooh suddenly one of his greatest nemeses is here & ... roll credits. but when you see him & sandman plotting & you hear eric forman's voice coming out of venom, it made me want to punch babies. it should have been hissing, raspy, clicking & totally inhuman sounding. & where was the neon green drool? where was the idea that the suit had a mind of it's own (like why didn't parker have a voice in his head or why didn't venom refer to himself as 'we'?!).

mind you i still dig it more than the first one lol but not the second.

EDIT - also... did the ending feel like ghostbusters 1 & star wars new hope? spoil- i mean with the giant staypuft sandman & whiny ass goblin bailing his ass out han solo style? gah. it lost so much cred in my opinion right there. spidey's the persistent underdog, but he always comes through on his own...

-J
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    *spoiler continuation plus speculations*

well, if the Symbiote did survive, Venom still isn't coming back. When Brock jumped into the bomb-blast, he definately died, and Eddie Brock + Symbiote IS Venom... So venom himself isn't coming back. Maybe another symbiote, but not the Venom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, the Venom symbiote is a particular entity itself, any host it joins with becomes Venom. It has joined with a few people, Brock being the first (excluding spidey etc.). The current Venom is the villian formerly known as 'Scorpion' I believe.

But I havent seen the movie yet, dont know that I will either crazy.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah, the voice of venom was terrible... but moving on..

a lot of people seem to forget this is NOT supposed to be a recreation of the comics, which is one reason I think people are bitching so much
  • ill_logic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill_logic polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    a lot of people seem to forget this is NOT supposed to be a recreation of the comics, which is one reason I think people are bitching so much

[/ QUOTE ]

<brian posehn nerd rage voice> yes it is! and they totally ruined it by not giving spiderman the symbiote suit as a result of Secret Wars!!! </brian posehn nerd rage voice>

i think there's a general understanding among people that know the comic that it can't be the comic, but there were plenty of tiny details they seemed to glaze over for no good reason (like venom speaking as two people), a lot of things that made the characters & the storylines they adapted interesting. and it's not like they would have had that much more of an impact on the story. but it would have been cool for the fans of the books.

i think the reason people are bitching the most is because it's the first time there's been a live action version of venom, who people seem to really dig, & it ended up being a dud.

-J
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    illlogic:venom didn't even refer himself as "we" until quite a while after he merged with the symbiote.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    not fair. the Harry Potter trailer wasn't shown at the theater i went to.

Spiderman was good but a few things could have been improved. the whole Staying Alive strut/dance number was dumb.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Some dumb parts, tad bit more gushy than I expected, some parts out of place (dance scene), awesome battles, hilarious quick bits with Stan Lee and Bruce Campbell, overall... recommended. smile.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, don't trust PC...the majority hate every movie to come out!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    oh and as for Venom dying. Eddie Brock Jr is definately dead (you could see his skeleton when the bomb when off) but there is still part of the symbiote left. Dr Connors was studying a small bit of it at his lab.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooooooooh @ Asherr.... good point. Seems like Carnage could very well be up next? [there better be a spiderman 4. and Stan Lee and Raimi will have to be in that one too!]
    and i didn't hate the movie. Just the fact that Venom wasn't given the respect he deserved [what with only 20 minutes]. and good point about the Symbiote being Venom, and not Brock + Symbiote being Venom.

i could actually imagine the next few Spidermans [Spidermen? lol] having the different seeds of Venom, and carage... wait, wasn't it just Venom -> Carnage -> Toxic [or Toxin or something?]..... ooh! good material for the next two parts! So when are they releasing?

cheers
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Yea if he was only given 20 min screen time I wouldnt be suprised if the next movie was primarily about Venom and maybe Carnage also. Infact I would be suprised if it wasnt.

Rhino hasnt been in the spidey movies yet right? He was a fav of mine growing up. I havent watched any of the Spidey movies all the way through, cant stomach them mad.gif. I hope they dont include him actually, probably would end up being butchered like Juggernaut in Xmen. Seriously, he was like 5'10" confused.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Its not too bad a movie if you go in expecting Raimi in Tongue-in-cheek mode. Don't get me wrong, its still a bad, bad movie (and I don't often say that) but it manages to be fun which keeps it at a watchable level. Its unfortunate given how well done the first two films were but theres no use whingin about such things. The lighter mood allowed for an extended cameo by bulked up, ready for "Bubba Nosferatu and the Curse of the She-Vampires" Bruce Campbell.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    CG Spidey was still too rubbery movements for me.

Spoils:
    -The Sandman subplot was actually the best part of it even though I expected it to be worse.
    -Trying to fit Venom into it versus maybe just his intro at the end was too much and ruined the films pacing and character development.
    -Confused on when Peter realized he couldn't take off his suit, and somehow started tearing it off in the belltower (yes I have read & have Web of spider man 1). I think to a viewer unknown to Spideys comic background, they would have wondered what the hell was going on there.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    really enjoyed it.

they got rid of all the things that made me dislike the first two(MJ being a bitch and giving parker no reason to like her and the writing for her has just been horrid until this movie, the pro-NYC-patriotism shite/carrying spidey like a deity on the train. there was the flag bit but it was only a second and half so it was okay, and thank god they didnt do anything with 'rediscovering' his powers in this one. it was like the first two were the same film with different villains)

the strut scene was really corny but really funny as well. which as me and friends discussed later, is probably the symbiote pumping out hormones and pheromones in parker.

and i was telling them that yeah Brock is dead but think about this.. Eddie Brock JR is dead.. there is still a piece of the symbiote with Connors.. and what would be a good reason for Venom to despise Spidey?

needed less Brock face and more Venom speaking.

Sandman stuff was excellent.

and OMG.. Gobby Jr's headshots..
    i think the entire theater winced in that scene.

well really there were an amazing amount of hardcore body/head shot brutal hits in this movie. i really enjoyed seeing the characters suffer in this one smile.gif

it took a long while but i think they reached a good point in the movies with the script and main character out of the way. Now they can focus on the villians and action a bit more.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    More like "Spider-Meh" it was ok, i don't regret watching it. But it was realy chock full of worthless fluff and very little meat. one of the main characters should have been left out. and at least one of the main bad guys should have been pushed as a MAIN bad guy. its like a movie with no major conflict.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Awful. Just awful. Was easily the 'Batman and Robin' of the trilogy.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Superman was in the tank by its third film.
    Batman was circling the drain on its third film.
    Blade was an embarrassment when it reached its third film.
    X-Men fell on its face with its third film.
    Spider-Man lost the magic with its third film.

I can't think of any comic-inspired series that had a truly good second sequel. With all of others, changes to cast and crew could be used to some excuse, but everyone remained on board through the Spider-Man trilogy. Here's hoping that Nolan, Bale and team have two badass Batman sequels in them...
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I actually enjoyed the movie. It was a bit more "lovey dovey" than I would have liked. Here's hoping Carnage is next!

My movie experience, however, was one of the worst I've ever had. Two babies crying, trashy people yelling at the screen, talking on their cell phones, arrogant kids kicking my chair while their mother laughs after I ask them to stop. I even opted for the reserved, $16 a pop, seating. I think I'm done with the whole "movie experience". Time to invest in a better TV and a good sound system.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just saw it yesterday, I liked it but thought there was a few too many coincedences in the plot.
    I thought he kind of went a bit 'emo' for a while there, like with his hair and stroppy mood swings and all that, then he turned into a complete wanker, I know it was a result of the venom simbiot, but do you guys think there was some kind of hidden message in there adressing emo kids? there definitly was a resemblence.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I honestly think Raimi took the film from classic spidey movie to "meh" by listening to the fans and bending to their will... All of you fanboi's who got blue in the face screaming for venom have only yourselves to blame for causing this one to not be as stellar as the last two. Let the man make the movie he wants to make and we'll love it.

I think the addition of venom actually hurt the movie.

Ramimi, for spidey 4 shut off your net connection and you're back on track =)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Raimi went on record a number of times saying he didn't like the Venom character and I think his treatment in the movie shows this. I don't think you kids are ever going to see Carnage, Toxin, Scream or any of the other gooey spider suits unless someone else takes the reigns.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Carnage is basically the "son" of the venom symbiote. Brock and Kasady shared a cell after Venom lost the symbiote, and once it found Brock in the cell, it left behind its son symbiote that merged with Kasady. It would be ridiculous to incorporate him into the movies, because they would have to change him completely. He is ridiculously powerful. He is as strong as the Hulk (before the Hulk gets mad, of course). Spiderman and Venom team up several times to try and beat Carnage and he overpowers them easily. I definitely don't think he'll be in any of the movies.