Homeā€ŗ General Discussion

'Stalker' team under fire for ripping textures?

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
doh!

I've had first hand experience of reporting this going on to EA management when I worked there, and them wanting to simply brush the issue aside. It was a pretty bizarre episode in my career there.

To be honest, I'd actually be surprised If there was any legal pursuit of matters, but I could be wrong. But still, it's pretty embarrassing.

In the case of Stalker, it was quite probably an oversight on the developers part more than deliberate plagirism, so just remember to be *uber* careful where you get your shit from kids!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You would think after the hot coffee debockle everyone would dot their i's and cross their t's. Even when you lock something up, tuck it away and seal it in a vat of cement, someone finds it, so don't be a douche and steal textures.

I haven't played the game yet but I have high hopes for the content. I've always loved the idea of a game set in Chernobyl and I was excited to hear about someone making one. But the first game shots I saw where pretty disappointing, bad stretching on shoulders, awkward poses, last gen environments... It seemed to smell of DBZ mod team gone pro.

This latest news isn't doing much to sway me from that opinion.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    It would be funny if all the textures in question were actually from one of those commercial texture CD-Roms tongue.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Astro - those were my initial thoughts, but after looking at the details, I'm not so sure.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Vig, actually, the environments in general are really nice in the game, in fact more consistent than Half-Life 2 in my opinion (although there are some low quality textures here and there, but every game has some of those).

That said, Stalker's character art and animation is decidedly mediocre. The first-person sprint animation is actually hilariously bad, and watching enemies switch weapons or put away objects is an exercise in bone-breakingly horrendous limb positioning.

AZ: I somehow doubt that id software are in the habit of getting specific lighting textures off commercial CDs... sure, for explosion effects or sound effects there will likely be outsourcing to commercial mass-market effects, simply because it's more efficient than trying to record all your own sounds or get a dedicated particle guy focused on doing realistic explosion sprites, but for specific in-game textures like light shaders... that stuff will almost certainly be in-house and custom.

I'm not speaking from experience though, so I may be wrong. Just a personal hunch smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The file names not being changed are a dead give away, if that is true. However they might have been using them as temp textures and just forgotten to take them out? I'll cut them a little slack but its still a stupid thing to do.

MoP, I'll pick it up and check it out. My expectations are set pretty low right now so I bet it surprises me =P
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    AZ: I somehow doubt that id software are in the habit of getting specific lighting textures off commercial CDs...

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured the same, I just thought it would be kinda funny if that was the case smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    hehe smile.gif they should have at least renamed the damn files.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm chalking this up to an april fools story. I would think they would have had their own naming convention for files, seriously, if you ripped off a texture file for your game, and you don't even bother changing the name? And if the assets are exactly alike, why don't they show side by side comparisons of them in game, rather than a few files open in photoshop and text saying "this is for HL2, and this is for stalker!"
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget where the developers are from ebagg. There just isn't as much awareness of copyright as in the US.
    That said, I think it was probably accidental. My guess is it was placeholder stuff left over from very early development. A silly thing to do, but not too much of a stretch for the imagination.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The file names not being changed are a dead give away, if that is true. However they might have been using them as temp textures and just forgotten to take them out? I'll cut them a little slack but its still a stupid thing to do.

MoP, I'll pick it up and check it out. My expectations are set pretty low right now so I bet it surprises me =P

[/ QUOTE ]

Well even if its a placeholder texture use something that isnt in another game,choose something thats such shit that it would never make it into the game.

Its unexcuseable,i dont think going to another games assets would ever cross my mind when it comes to something like this. confused.gif
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    i recall that many people who got ahold of the early alpha leak of stalker a few years back recognized sounds being ripped off straight from Counter-strike. It wouldnt really surprise me, the notions of copyright infringement are nearly absent across the other side of the border.
    I would probably agree with Daz, that it wasnt intentional. Still it's somewhat a shame that someone just ripped off content from another product, placeholder or not..
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Busted.
    I'm sorry but there's no excuse for that, at all.
    Even if it was place holder. Who in their right mind takes another game's asset? I can see asset sharing within different teams of a development house.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible that it was someone from outside the company that did it? If they hired a freelancer on a contract to create some assets, it could have been that particular freelancer that nicked the textures. Unfortunately, it'll still probably be the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. team that's in shit up to their eyeballs instead of whatever individual was responsible for it.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I want confirmation on this, can someone on these boards who has both games honestly confirm this? I know as game artists this is a hot button issue and people are quick to say "those bastards! stealing art is atrocious!" but lets look at the evidence!

It shows the contents of someone's folders and 4 open files in photoshop with text edited in asserting which game each is from. Do you really consider this irrefutable proof!? Usually in previous cases, people post in game screenshots showing the assets in question side by side, which offers a much more convincing case.

It's not like I'm saying it couldn't be true, but guys, its EARLY APRIL, AS IN NEAR APRIL FOOLS DAY. People can fling up quick imagery like that in five minutes and fool enough folks. You guys really should be demanding better proof for such serious accusations.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    oh this would have so never happened in the western world! wink.gif

actually i've seen this several times - producer wants effect like in game xyz. easiest way to please him is to just get that exact same effect and go from there.
    now if your dev team changes several times like it apparently was the case with stalker, chances are you forget about some things...

not to say that kind of thing is justified or anything, but it surely is not an unheard of practice.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg, several of my colleagues at work own the game and checked out the directories for themselves, it's all there.
    I've actually got the special edition here but have been too busy to install it, I'll probably take a look this evening.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I don't think it will be persued, either by ID or Valve, it would just be too costly. It's still a dumb thing to do - even if they were placeholders for content to be added later. Best practice is of course to use obvious placeholders, like brightly coloured textures with 'test' written all over them. I think these just slipped under the radar, as has been said before.

I'm more worried about how THQ will view the situation, and whether GSC will be able to acquire further funding - or whether they'll get dropped. I'm enjoying the game so far, and it would be a shame for this to get blown up into a major battle.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg: Checked just now, they're all there (gamedata.db6, if anyone's interested).

Also I noticed that the Russian version of the game has a Samsung logo on the PDA, I wonder if that was removed in the English version because it'd be more likely to get hit by legal departments?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I think Id and Valve should send them an invoice.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

It's not like I'm saying it couldn't be true, but guys, its EARLY APRIL, AS IN NEAR APRIL FOOLS DAY. People can fling up quick imagery like that in five minutes and fool enough folks. You guys really should be demanding better proof for such serious accusations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I checked April fools day was about childish pranks, not slandering companies reputations. I think that's an extremely unlikely outcome.

I posted the story because this stuff is important to be aware of as professional game artists. It *does* happen, I've seen it with my own eyes.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else remember the stolen Quake 3 texture in Deus Ex 2?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't think it will be persued, either by ID or Valve, it would just be too costly. It's still a dumb thing to do - even if they were placeholders for content to be added later. Best practice is of course to use obvious placeholders, like brightly coloured textures with 'test' written all over them. I think these just slipped under the radar, as has been said before.

I'm more worried about how THQ will view the situation, and whether GSC will be able to acquire further funding - or whether they'll get dropped. I'm enjoying the game so far, and it would be a shame for this to get blown up into a major battle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pursued maybe not but you can rest assured 1 or 2 heads rolled after this.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't this that studio's first game? Hell of a way to make a name for yourself...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    No, they also made Fire Warrior and American Conquest.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    haha....reminds me of a guy at a company that I used to work for. He would go home and do extra "work" and come in the next day with textured assets to his level that looked surprisingly like WOW...He also bragged in a level meeting once that he had a program that could rip WOW textures and assets....(purely for reference I'm sure.......)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    why would someone want to make their textures look like they were from WOW?? ...
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Because he was a hack artist anyway...(some of the last stuff of his I seen was ridiculously bad).....think he pretty much got his job there on BS.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    No, they also made Fire Warrior and American Conquest.

[/ QUOTE ]

They also made the excellent (IMO) 'Codename Outbreak' which itself 'borrowed' from the Predator and Aliens franchises. Thinking about it, there's a lot of Codename Outbreak's gameplay and visual stylings in Stalker.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Glad to hear the confirmation MoP. Just wanted to hear it from somewhere more reputable than the users at that news site. Looks like really bad thievery, with no attempt to cover it up.

Well, I'm not defending stalker's innocence anymore, but out of curiousity, might it be some sort of stock texture? I know HL2 was really big on photo sourced textures...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Like I said before, I don't know whether they are or aren't stock textures, but IMHO I don't think id software are in the habit of using photosource/stock images for map-specific lighting textures, which is what it seems these are... I may still be proven wrong though.
    Plus the fact that they have exactly the same file name seems a tad concerning...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see this as being a big deal, and really don't care. I do wonder if the textures in question are actually used in the game, like the water. I don't see any ingame screenshots. There are many assets in a game placed there by many people. It's easy to lose track. If I saw any of those textures, I wouldn't think "omg, those are from Doom!" They're just textures. They could have changed the file name tho. Otherwise you could assume they were taken from a stock image collection that ripped from games.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well I have been enjoying STALKER greatly other than the low framerate and funny animations (funniest of all is the slow mo physics of dead bodies dropping off heights). Good gameplay. But yes, it is rough around the edges.

Anyway, have these been confirmed to being used <u>in</u> the game? Or as someone suggested, older placeholders? I could see it either way as per what you all have said being from a country less stringent on copyright issues.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Usually when a game is being built for a gold copy, only assets actually being used by the engine will be placed into the final shipping game folder and archives. That implies that these textures are in use in the game (although it could be the case that they just bundled their whole working development tree into the final release, which seems rather ridiculous and unlikely).

ElysiumGX: As for "they're just textures" and "I don't see this as being a big deal" ... when does it become OK to rip other games' source textures as your own? Is it ok if you use, say, less than 5 textures as long as they're under 128x128 pixels? What if you steal a whole wall texture, or a whole tiling environment texture set?
    I reckon it should be all or nothing, you can't have "degrees" of it being ok to steal textures. If you take money out of someone's pocket, you've stolen from them. Doesn't matter if it was $5 or $500, you've still taken something that wasn't rightfully yours. It's not a "shades of grey" issue here, there are just some things which you do not ever do.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    "Anyway, have these been confirmed to being used in the game?"

The flashlight is a good case in point. You can clearly see the Doom flashlight shape in the middle, with some extra light-spill around it.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Usually when a game is being built for a gold copy, only assets actually being used by the engine will be placed into the final shipping game folder and archives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot Coffee? blush.gif

To be honest I think games tend to ship with whatever is getting added to the builds. Game development is still far from being professional! laugh.gif

On the stalker texture issues, it could be an awful mess that the artist who added them left before it shipped (long development, highly possible) but there are also a millions of circumstances that it could be.

If the company gets into trouble, I hope they go after the guy who put those textures in there. It specifically states in my contract at work that if I was to use copy righted images I would be held responsible. wink.gif Makes sense eh?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Tim, I think MoP was referring to the build process whereby only assets the engine is actually *using* make it into the final build. i.e the working directory might be fricking huge and have tons of working, relic and placeholder crap in there. But the build process only picks up and dumps everything that the engine is actually pointing to. That's how the final build process *should work* at least, and has done in every game I've worked on.

The point he was making being that if it's on the gold disk, it's in the game.

*edit* re-read your post sorry. I guess you did get his point, but are making the point that not every games company uses the build system that I described. Well they should, dammit smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

ElysiumGX: As for "they're just textures" and "I don't see this as being a big deal" ... when does it become OK to rip other games' source textures as your own? Is it ok if you use, say, less than 5 textures as long as they're under 128x128 pixels? What if you steal a whole wall texture, or a whole tiling environment texture set?
    I reckon it should be all or nothing, you can't have "degrees" of it being ok to steal textures. If you take money out of someone's pocket, you've stolen from them. Doesn't matter if it was $5 or $500, you've still taken something that wasn't rightfully yours. It's not a "shades of grey" issue here, there are just some things which you do not ever do.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While i wont say its ok to steal assets, its definately isnt. I agree with will to an extent, it just seems like this is getting blown a little out of proportion due ot the fact that its textures from hl2 and d3, if it was some stuff stolen from "Big mother truckers" i doubt it would even make headlines. Afterall teh most likely scenarios here are that it was temporary assets that were forgotten about, or one guy's fuckup that nobody in the company ever caught onto. Hardly reason to badmouth the entire company as whole...

But i could be wrong.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    It looks more like a dumb mistake than deliberate theft to me. I'm thinking an artist threw these in as placeholder, didn't think to tell anyone about it, and then left the company. The textures weren't replaced because nobody knew any better. I can see that happening, much more readily than I can see a project with the resources to do all their own work deliberately ripping a handful of simple textures from high-profile titles.

But even so ... it's bad form, IMO. As I think someone pointed out earlier, placeholders should be obviously so, preferably with the word "placeholder" stamped across the front, to avoid this very problem.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, exactly - I'm not saying that the company suck because of this, most likely it was just one stupid guy doing it under the radar to save himself some effort, but that is the sort of thing a company should be very careful of, and track and check all their assets as much as possible.
    If the person responsible is found out, I hope he gets in a lot of trouble for it. I don't want to see GSC Game World go under just because of one stupid employee... unless they actually knew about it and just turned a blind eye.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    damn, that's just two simple textures!
  • killingpeople
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, silly denial.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OK, so the water was from a pack.

However, saying that the filename for an "imp" light was meaning "impact" doesn't explain the fact that the majority of their "lights" texture folder is pixel-for-pixel identical to Doom3's lights folder.

Still waiting to hear more about that one, it could well be that the light textures were from a pack too but I somehow doubt it.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    they're not from a pack, kenneth made them, lol he even remembered making them while looking at the 2 shots side by side. and its not just 2 textures, its a whole lot of stuff, so far all i know is the stalker team guys called in and apologized and i think they'll make up somehow and everyone will be happy.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    so no bloodspilling?, now the world of gaming is laughing at id-fans for being so fanboyish, when reality is different.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    they're not from a pack, kenneth made them, lol he even remembered making them while looking at the 2 shots side by side. and its not just 2 textures, its a whole lot of stuff, so far all i know is the stalker team guys called in and apologized and i think they'll make up somehow and everyone will be happy.

[/ QUOTE ]Pizza and a movie?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    so no bloodspilling?, now the world of gaming is laughing at id-fans for being so fanboyish, when reality is different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by that...