Home General Discussion

How much do you earn?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Hmm, nevermind. See Gamasutra image below.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    - King of everything
    - Forever
    - £40-50 billion per second

...What is the purpose of this?
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would assume it's to give others an idea as to how much an artist in the video game industry makes. There have been a lot of threads similar to this one in the past, so I think this one could answer a lot of people's questions.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I would think it serves as a good reference, and if pinned would eliminate those 'how much should I be paid?' threads, I imagine.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I would assume it's to give others an idea as to how much an artist in the video game industry makes. There have been a lot of threads similar to this one in the past, so I think this one could answer a lot of people's questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why we have anonymous survey results to look up. if you're curious about industry norms, you should look there.

a thread like this is really just about bragging.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    an anonymous poll might make more sense? assuming there were no joke votes
    edit: congrats on the promotion mop!
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't Gamasutra have a survey on this a little while ago....
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Xeno, is that chart for artists in general or game artists? Cause if it's artists in general then I make wwaaaaayyyyyyy under the average for an artist with 6+ years of experience. frown.gif This thread depresses me.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    those are for game artists since its from gamasutra.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I would STRONGLY advise anyone against posting their salary in here. Perceived injustices about salary differences can be a HUGE issue in the workplace, and in many companies you're actually breaking your contract in doing so. At EA disclosing your salary to a colleague could mean grounds for instant dismissal.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    for what it's worth Hollowmind, I was very surprised to see how widely the average salary for an experience bracket varies depending on region.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Second thought, most silliest thing to have asked.

Check out the Gamasutra article, was thinking it'd be a neat reference post but Daz brought up a point I hadn't considered.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enough to buy your mother dinner.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @daz - woah seriously?!
    @Xonobond - is that the latest survety results? last i saw, less than 3 yrs was ~$35,000 or something
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    enough to buy dinner for myself. x)
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    That was for 2006.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    What I earn...from what I hear, less than a hairdresser in New York.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I wasn't making anywhere near that 'average' for one. Despite having 6+years of experience, and having been lead environment artist. I make enough to pay my bills and have the occasional weekend trip :P
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all about negotiation. Learn how to do that effectively, and your salary can climb.

Do a search for salary, much has been shared in this dept.

<ul type="square">[*]how's the salary for artists??
    [*]A quick salary question
    [*]How much should I be earning - Rsartwiki
    [*]Starting pay for entry level jobs in the industry?[/list]
    etc.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i thought I was paid really well until i looked at how much f***king slealth taxes I am paying to mr gordon brown. I may as well just hand him my salary in a big shitting weel barrow.
    One thing I would say when staring a new job, negotiate hard, beacause its the one chance you have to get a decent wage.
    Its difficult six months down the line to say 'ohh by the way, I should be earning 6 grand more because my mate at x company said I should be getting similar to him.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Enough to buy your mother dinner.

[/ QUOTE ]

<3
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    he obviuosly hasnt seen how much your mom eats.
    as far as pay, i'm doing pretty decent acording to that chart
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be interested in seeing that same list broken down to state. It seems rather low for Washington/California but I bet not so bad for Texas.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GDMag did break it down in the US by region... NW, W coast, Central, etc. I wonder if the digital version they're selling has that pie chart?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    @daz - woah seriously?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that so hard to believe? At most places there aren't standard rates like working in a supermarket. It's all up for negotiation. Along with experience, your salary can include any number of random contributing factors like your reputation, what company you worked at before, what you earned before, your powers of negotiation, how bad the new company wants you, who at the new company is hiring you, all sorts of things.

If it came out that you were making significantly more than the bloke that sits next to you doing 'the same' job, all hell would break loose and Ive seen it happen. Salaries are never 'fair', and companies know that. It makes perfect sense not to shout about what you earn.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    @daz - woah seriously?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that so hard to believe? At most places there aren't standard rates like working in a supermarket. It's all up for negotiation. Along with experience, your salary can include any number of random contributing factors like your reputation, what company you worked at before, what you earned before, your powers of negotiation, how bad the new company wants you, who at the new company is hiring you, all sorts of things.

If it came out that you were making significantly more than the bloke that sits next to you doing 'the same' job, all hell would break loose and Ive seen it happen. Salaries are never 'fair', and companies know that. It makes perfect sense not to shout about what you earn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus it's just not in good taste, really.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can second Daz's advice. I learned fellow employees' salaries once by accident, and was amazed what some were making, and I was actually dismayed by it.

It really did affect how I thought my employers valued me vs. others, even though I _knew_ salary isn't really the same as value. The emotional overpowered the rational. It's better to keep that knowledge need-to-know, at least on the local level.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah its scary how many things affect money in the game industry and even not in the industry. i rember working in a non game related field years ago, and a co worker who had been working there 2 ears before me saw some paperwork and found out i made a good bit more than him. it turns out he had never in his life asked for a raise,, just took the ocasinal bump ups and never said anything. its my opinion that no one will ever just offer to pay a penny more than you are willing to work for. if you want a substantial raise i suggest the meeting with your boss and let them know that you want more, and feel you are worth more. be tactfull and truthfull,, never try and squeeze out more than you HONESTLY think you are worth.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Lol well atm i make nothing. But hey im optimistic,maybe next week ill make double that or even triple!! laugh.gif
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    That is really good advice, Rhino.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I second what Daz said, it does and will cause issues. It is very interesting though how some people will get more than others even if they are doing substantially less work.
    I'm pretty much on starter pay... It's my first 6 months in the industry so I'm not expecting anything great. Interested to see what happens with my next review.
    But I earn enough to buy your mum, your sister and her friend dinner... Yeah, if we all went to McDonalds!

-caseyjones
  • SeanDomega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here goes! I earn a whopping 3200pound a year, oh actually I dont earn that its my student loan but thats what I have to live off...with the odd groveling to the parents and hoping for the best laugh.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Well I am currently earning a massive $ 0.00 I was receiving my Veterans Benefits (GI Bill) up until December but that only lasts for 36 months. I graduate in just under 3 weeks. I've had some interviews and hopefully come mid march I'll be making a good amount more. If not then I'll be the guy around Southern California that is holding up a sign that says "Will Model / Texture for food."
  • mrsincredible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen two references to a regional salary comparison on the salary related threads. Does anybody have the link to it? I tried google but I don't think I'm using the right search terms. All I was able to pull up (for free) was the GDmag one
    http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/266/are_you_in_demand_2006_game_.php

Anyhow, I have the huge number crunching task of figuring out if salary vs cost of living in certain cities is going to work for our family of 4. I know lots of you gents are single and can afford to live a college lifestyle and hence you can make it work on $35-$45k... but after looking at some mortgage calculators, this is would be totally unrealistic to buy a condo in the san jose area.

Anyhow, just was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on typical regional salary - not asking for personal figures. If we can't make the puzzle pieces fit with this area and the salary negotiations stay in the $35-$45k range then we're gonna have to turn it down. frown.gif
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea i suppose it makes sense that way...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    An average of 61 grand US for an artist with three years of experience? Meh, its probably still not worth living in the US for a 200% payrise.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrsincredible, I'm not an expert on the subject, but the graph that shows various salaries only shows the average. Living in San Jose, you might be able to expect more, as the cost of living may be higher in your particular area.

There are a number of other factors that come into play when figuring out salaries. The skill of the artist can often far outweigh their number of years in the industry as far as many employers are concerned. It also depends on who is employing you. If you're working at a small start-up studio, then you should expect less. If you just got a job at Microsoft Game Studios, Epic Games, Rockstar Studios, or any of the other "big" employers, you can expect to get paid a lot more.

I apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but these are things that many people overlook when they first go job hunting. I'm not aware of your particular situation, so some things might be different, but I believe you could use these guidelines as a general rule of thumb. I hope this helps. Good luck. smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For salary info by zipcode, try one of the calculators.
    http://content.monster.com/salarybenefits/home.aspx
    I think Internet/New Media is probably our closest neighbor in terms of typical compensation. Just be sure to "no thanks" the registration page... social security #? come on!
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    It's also important to remember that while salaries may be adjusted by where the employer is located ... it's not going to be significantly higher or lower (on average). $40K in Dallas or Austin goes a heck of a lot further than $40K in San Jose, SF, or Los Angeles.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    To second what Paul said, I actually received an offer for a company in the San Diego area the same day I received my offer from Gearbox. The salary offer for the one in San Diego was $15k more a year, but when you factor in the cost of living in the San Diego area vs the Dallas area the Gearbox offer was actually the better one.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    To second what Paul said, I actually received an offer for a company in the San Diego area the same day I received my offer from Gearbox. The salary offer for the one in San Diego was $15k more a year, but when you factor in the cost of living in the San Diego area vs the Dallas area the Gearbox offer was actually the better one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I live in San Diego and the cost of living is insane. You will never buy a house around here making 45k a year and you would be lucky to buy if you made 75k. Rent on average for a 2 bedroom in a decent area is 1150-1400 easy.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    this thread is made of faux pas
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Downtown Vancouver rent for a 1 bedroom 700sq ft. is $1500 CDN. Converted to USD thats $1,286. I'm quite surprised to see that San Diego isn't much worse than us up here.

Luckily its my girl and I so living here ain't such a hard thing to do.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Man that's a fair bit for rent.....I pay $1400 for a 4 bedroom house..
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Which is only a little over $1100 US. Is there a specific way to calculate cost of living? I'd be interested to see how we really stack up against the US when everythings averaged out.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    And do remember that some places are just cheapskates. A few years ago when looking for work, I turned down an interview for a more senior position than the one that I'd just lost. The cost of living was much higher there (Leamington Spa), and they were offering a senior artist position at £1,000 (about $2000) less than I earned as an artist in a place that was more expensive to live in.

Also you'll need to factor in extras - another place I went for an interview at around the same time (in roughly the same area as above) were offering me more money than I had been earning, still just as an artist. However, despite this being a successful company, they offered no bonuses, no healthcare, no training, etc. They also confided that there was little chance for development, rising within the company, and that pay increases were pretty much locked to the ROI.
  • mrsincredible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Which is only a little over $1100 US. Is there a specific way to calculate cost of living? I'd be interested to see how we really stack up against the US when everythings averaged out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might, or might not, be of any use to anyone but I found it while googling. It's a salary comparison, with currency conversion, for Japan, the UK and the US. Sorry, no comparison for the ozzies. confused.gif

http://japanmanship.blogspot.com/2006/12/salary-overview-2006.html
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    1160 a month for our one bedroom apartment. and it aint swish. for that same amount in my hometown one could rent two 3 bedroom houses