Home General Discussion

A cool president?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Okay, so people want Obama for president simply because he gives good interviews on Oprah? I'm hoping that the Polycounter advocates for an Obama presidency are looking at more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, we get it, liberals watch Oprah whilst sipping our lattes! laugh.gif

All joking aside, maybe he does need more time in politics but don't discount charisma, look at George W's "crusade" and "axis of evil" speeches.

I really wanted McCain to win the 2000 primaries, I thought "here's a guy who saw the horrors of war, maybe he'll lead our country with a level head" but it turns out he's just another hawk who couldn't smell the bullshit about the Iraq war. He also voted to remove Bill Clinton from office, which was ridiculous , who gets put on trial for cheating on his wife? When are McCain and Giuliani's days in court?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't making a joke or anything, he really did do an interview on Oprah last month.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't making a joke or anything, he really did do an interview on Oprah last month.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was popular as a potential presidential candidate long before his appearance on Oprah... buzz about his possible presidential run began after the 2004 elections. It's not as if he appeared on Oprah's show and then all of a sudden everyone wanted him to be President... it's really the other way around: he appeared on Oprah because he is such a popular figure.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    *sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Go back and read my posts; I never stated I support him as a candidate, so why the hell do you expect me to tell you why he's so popular? Jesus Christ, why don't you just read up on him if you're really so concerned about it.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keyser, buddy, you just totally flipped out. I count eight posters in this thread who are in favor of Obama, and I was asking for their opinions on why they support him. I wanted voters' perspectives, not his r
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    MASTER CHEIF LOLOLOLOLOLOLL

No, wait!
    Jack Thompson! I'd LOVE to see what kind of shit he'd try to pull. THat'd be hillarious.
    If hillary clinton got made president, I'd fucking shoot myself.
    Hillary Clinton is a bitch. I don't even know why, but every time I hear her name, or see her on tv, I want to fucking kick a baby.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I've always voted for the person before the party. But from what the Dems have shown me over the past years, they've got a lot of work to do to ever stand a chance at milking a vote from me.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What have the "Dems" shown you over the past years? They've been out of power and completely impotent for the past 6 (and 12 years in Congress), so I'm not exactly sure what you could be referring to laugh.gif.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Heck, they've shown me the light, Keyser. Why, just this month in fact, if it wasn’t for Sen. John Kerry, I never would have known that my brother-in-law is stuck in Iraq because he didn’t "study hard" in "an effort to be smart." Apparently he didn't choose to go there. What a dumb dumb. As an added bonus, I've also learned that there are actually multiple meanings to what the word "is" is. Furthermore, had Dems never awakened me to the fact that our President was as bad if not worse than Hitler, I might have actually believed he was trying to protect our country while simultaneously giving the Iraqi and Afghani people a chance at freedom from tyranny. I'm sure the Iraqi people can't wait for our Democratic leadership to pull the troops out so they can fight off Iranian and Syrian insurgents themselves. They and I should be able to sleep pretty good tonight with this newfound wisdom.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure the Iraqi people can't wait for our Democratic leadership to pull the troops out so they can fight off Iranian and Syrian insurgents themselves. They and I should be able to sleep pretty good tonight with this newfound wisdom.

[/ QUOTE ]

"A strong majority of Iraqis want U.S.-led military forces to immediately withdraw from the country..."

"A solid majority [of Iraqis] support an immediate military pullout..." (this one is from 2 1/2 years ago... the numbers are much higher now)

"Support for attacks on US-led forces has grown to a majority position—now six in ten." note: this is a poll of ordinary Iraqi citizens (the one's we're allegedly "freeing from tyranny")

"More broadly, 79 percent of Iraqis say that the US is having a negative influence on the situation in Iraq..."

Not only do they want us out of their country, but they want us out so badly that 60% believe any attacks on our troops are justified. SIXTY PERCENT. And if you truly believe that our invasion of Iraq had anything to do with freeing the Iraqi people from Tyranny, Don Young has a bridge to nowhere to sell you.

Also, the insurgency in Iraq consists mostly of Iraqis, not Iranians or Syrians.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heck, they've shown me the light, Keyser. Why, just this month in fact, if it wasn’t for Sen. John Kerry, I never would have known that my brother-in-law is stuck in Iraq because he didn’t "study hard" in "an effort to be smart." Apparently he didn't choose to go there. What a dumb dumb. As an added bonus, I've also learned that there are actually multiple meanings to what the word "is" is. Furthermore, had Dems never awakened me to the fact that our President was as bad if not worse than Hitler, I might have actually believed he was trying to protect our country while simultaneously giving the Iraqi and Afghani people a chance at freedom from tyranny. I'm sure the Iraqi people can't wait for our Democratic leadership to pull the troops out so they can fight off Iranian and Syrian insurgents themselves. They and I should be able to sleep pretty good tonight with this newfound wisdom.

[/ QUOTE ]

So i take it you had no problem with "Bring it on" When Bush basiclly said hey come and try to kill our US soliders

Id rather have a president tell kids if they study hard they wont have to go out and go into the military because thats their only option instead of being a cocky bastard and inviting the enemy to try to kill our soldiers.

But hey maybe your right,you can see what a wonderful job the Republicans have done over the past 12 years. Just like they promised they restored dignity and honosty to Washington,they done a spendid job at fiscal concervatisim.

Because of Bush we are now safe from the great and dire threat Iraq was. And Afghanistan,well we did so well there that we dont even have to do the fighting,let Nato do it.

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [MILES] = if you're basing your decision on public relation faux pas than why vote for republicans either?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't mean to turn this into a Republican vs Democrat discussion, but it's hard to avoid in a political thread. I don't think it's as simple as blaming one party for all of the country's problems.

What I do think is that the ultra-conservative ideologues who have taken over the Republican party (since Reagan's administration) have proven their economic and foreign policies to be failures and completely insane. The "starve-the-beast" approach to economics has done nothing but drive up our debt to obscene proportions (we're borrowing more than $1 Billion per DAY from communist China, and we're even in debt to Mexico for Christ's sake). We have gone from being the world's largest creditor to the world's largest borrower. This does not make for a strong nation. I won't even get started on our trade policies (which, actually, is one of the things Clinton deserves a lot of blame for).

I think the Republican party would do well to return to the party's roots of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower, and even Nixon (who would almost be considered a liberal, by today's standards), and abandon the more recent neoconservatism.