Home General Discussion

Gears of War gone gold

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
Congrats to Ror and Moose and the rest of the Epic Games crew on going gold! laugh.gif

Newest Gears of War trailer (cinematic is beautiful)
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3737_en.html

Any local events going on in the raleigh area? Give me an excuse to fly home wink.gif

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Very beautiful looking. Even if I do dislike that tears for fears cover.
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    anyone who uses "mad world" is a pretentious freak ^_^

I think the cinematic was quite poorly directed and didnt at all benefit from the arty no-sounds-just-music style. but the assets looks ace ofcourse and it looks to be quite the treat to play.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah congrats, Epic folks. I've got my collectors edition on pre-order smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    congrats guys, it's really looking awesome, and honestly it may make me buy a 360
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, congrats! I think the game is looking great from what I've seen (especially like the player armour style)... if the game turns out to have good gameplay to go with the visuals, I'll probably end up buying it (when it comes out on PC?)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Congrats guys. Probably the only 360 game I'm buying this season.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Holy fuck. I need to go buy a 360 ASAP.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats, looks like a blast.

Can't wait for my friend to buy it so I can play it!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Bad ass. Congrats guys, that looks amazing. Tears For Fears, I feel like a kid again tongue.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing looking game, I can't wait to play it, congrats on another AAA+ title under your belt Ror!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm gonig to wait for reviews but this game definitely looks like a hole in one! Congrats to the folks that made it!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I am somehow reminded of Kevin Smith talking about his work on Superman with Jon Peters.

Bam! Giant fucking spider...

Pretty graphics though, and I do like the choice of music.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    That trailer is stunning.

Everything I've seen of Gears before that trailer was a gritty, gory, testosterone-laden dudefest (not that don't want to play it). I was wondering how Microsoft would market this to the masses, now I know.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Is that song the actual music they chose for this trailer or someones dub? Either way, I f'n loved it.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks ace. mmm must get a nex box 360
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    That song is a cover of Mad World by Tears for Fears. It's by Michael Andrews. And considering it's the official trailer I think it's a safe bet that they actually chose it themselves.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    its Gary Jules remake of the 70's tears for fears original from Donnie Darko.

Glad you're liking it!

r.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, i'll get my copy once i get an xbox360, once i get the money for one wink.gif (soonish)
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I loved how on the 1up show, two of the guys are discussing seeing Halo 3 for the first time, and the only thing they can say about it is how they wished it looked as good as Gears of War.

Owned.

That being said, personally Gears isn't doing much for me. But I'll leave the negativity out of this thread. It's certainly a big accomplishment to ship something like this.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game looks fantastic ror, and everyone else involved. Without a doubt the best looking game ever made, period. I may just have to buy a 360 for this.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I'll definitely be buying a 360 for this. Congrats to the Epic team!
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I thought the music put an interesting spin on the 'silent' action, better than the generic death-metal track you might have expected. I'm strongly compelled to buy a damn 360, just for this (as others seem to be).
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Freakin' awesome vid, quite a nice deviation from the normal presentation of such a game. Speaking of the game, already got my 'collectors edition' on order from gamestop! smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the "worn-out faces" cut was a little heavy handed myself smile.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats guys! Maybe we might see some of that awesome art pimped here pretty soon from you both??? Hopefully, if not I will be hitting the pause button alot to enjoy the visual love.

Spark
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I loved how on the 1up show, two of the guys are discussing seeing Halo 3 for the first time, and the only thing they can say about it is how they wished it looked as good as Gears of War.

Owned.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ahahahaha, got a link? laugh.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats guys, been looking forward to this one for a while.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i saw it playing in fnac here at spain ( it was a video thou ) i was very impressed ! will it come out for PC ?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard there was a PC release planned. But not until next year. This may have been a rumor though.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    funny though , wathcing the vid I thought the story was suggesting that he could n't find anyone to kill, so he was wandering the streets with a sad litle face and a tear in his eye.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure anyone knows what marcus was up to in that vid , but that's what I like about it, the ambiguity!

r.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm not sure anyone knows what marcus was up to in that vid , but that's what I like about it, the ambiguity!

r.

[/ QUOTE ]

seeing as it's getting close to christmas, i'm betting he was out looking for the latest must-have toy for his kids. unfortunately the giant spider has the last one and now they must fight to the death for it.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it all makes sense now.

r.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Gorgeous game - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a PC version.

I also like Donnie Darko and the OST, but I think the music choice for the trailer was misguided. The content of the video and the tone of the song are incongruent, imo. Anyway, I'm probably more critical than the average gamer.

Congrats to Ror and everyone else involved with this one. smile.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the fact marcus is voiced by steven blum makes it even more interesting !
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually it's John Di Maggio.

I thought it was Ron Perlman when I first heard his voice, so I checked at IMDB.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Meh. It's kinda of horribly cliche. The voice acting seems badly timed and the voices don't fit the characters, and Mad World was a strange choice.. not exactly something I fancy playing when there is some muscle bound freak with a machine gun blasting baddies. Just opinion, though knowing PC attitude ill be flamed for it.

The art is wonderful though. And I'm sure I'll pick up a copy when the price goes down.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And I'm sure I'll pick up a copy when the price goes down.

[/ QUOTE ]

The price of the game, or the 360?

This is on my want list this year with the 360. Great job on the art, its got a great lived in feeling.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Meh. It's kinda of horribly cliche. The voice acting seems badly timed and the voices don't fit the characters, and Mad World was a strange choice.. not exactly something I fancy playing when there is some muscle bound freak with a machine gun blasting baddies. Just opinion, though knowing PC attitude ill be flamed for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, at least you're gonna get the last part right. How is it that you can complain that the voices aren't appropriate and that the music is strange, and then call it cliche? Seriously, you just said that a Tears For Fears song dubbed over a First Person Shooter is "horribly cliche." Was there a DOOM trailer set to 'Shout' and I just missed it?

The biggest cliche in that video is the one thing you lauded, the artwork. We've been seeing bombed-out gothic cityscapes and ridiculously armed space marines for more than a decade. That's actually my one gripe about Epic's franchises; the execution is top-notch, but everything they do looks like a bizzaro world Starship Troopers.

The trailer is awesome, makes me wanna buy a 360.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I felt that the trailer was far from cliched too, and the soundtrack made for a really interesting juxtaposition.

Congrats guys, must be a huge relief after all those years of hard graft. It looks mightily impressive. I dont own a 360, but I cant wait to check it out in the office.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it. The music is perfect, it helps bring to the surface the loss you should feel for the civilization that once was there. It is a nice contrast too, reminds me of firefly for some reason... I find it interesting that the underground baddie stops at the cobble stones, I wonder how or if that will play into game tactics? I have to say I am most excited for Gears of war for two reasons.

1) The art and the engine. Rarely do we see jumps in this kind of quality and get to play with it, yummy. It doesn't hurt that its all familiar toys, but with upgrades =) I sure as hell hope they put a walk-thru camera in the damn editor and if they didn't, I hope someone hacks one in like past versions.

2) Playing with friends not against them. Squad tactics that aren't rainbow "slug crawl" 6 speed.

Edit: Must fight urge to flame motz...
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I hated the trailer pretty much, I expected much more in terms of the direction like quick video music cuts showing more of the cast and the locust. The music just didn't do it for me at all It would have been cool to have had a dark post apocalyptic techno, heavy metal feel to it. I wonder if Epic or Microsoft came up with the musical direction for this trailer or if they thought by having soft music it would make the game appeal a wider audience. If that’s the case then they’ve been drinking the marketing departments Cool-aid because the only people who are going to by Gears of War are the same people who bought Unreal, Halo, Black, Kill zone, etc. All in all I’m glad the game is done and I hope it lives up to it’s lofty expectations, I plan on getting a copy on day one and having one hell of a time. Congrats to all of the “team” members who worked on Gears and I look forward to Gears 2!

Later,
    Marcus Dublin

Artist – Kaos Studios

PS: Unreal make my game art look so purty!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not slamming you on this, Marcus, but why would you want to see that trailer with a heavy metal soundtrack? If you don't dig 'Mad World', I understand, but what you're describing has been done a hundred times now. I remember Quake2 opening up with the Sonic Mayhem tracks and being impressed, but that was almost 9 years ago. I don't want an FPS trailer set to Swan Lake, but the hardass metal soundtrack just bores me to tears these days.

I just realized that my favorite moment in the Prey demo was the alien abduction being set to Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper." Unexpected but topically appropriate musical selections make me much happier than generic metal tracks.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Trailers music/mood choise very similar to GitS Innocense, no?
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Gonna get GoW for me, and Viva Pinata for the gf, expensive week frown.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David Fincher is responsible for this trailer's direction along with Digital Domain. Along with Spielberg, he's been the most interested in UE3's ramifications to the movie industry.

I'm personally more proud of my (limited) involvement with this trailer than I am of anything else I have done in my career because it has depth, because it is attempting to go further than the cliched adolescant male testosterone wank fantasy variations than dominate the games industry.

I'm incredibly excited by the potential effect it will have on games, their marketting and their underlying ethos in the future because I do beleive it is going to have an affect.

We routinely hear the comment that we are a young industry and another way of saying that is that we are immature. I agree, we are, all of us as a whole and the need to grow up is not going to become any less pressing.

The movie industry can only help us so much because its such a passive form of entertainment that requires nothing from us except that we stay stationary, pay attention and if we have read a book or 2, well we're going to understand more of the dialogue.

The heights and the depths that movies can evoke from the viewer is something the games industry envy's with good reason so any fusion between the 2 industries that works is an incredibly positive thing.

You need only look at how much this trailer has seperated people's opinions to realise how affective it is an opening up a fresh dialogue.

Is it arty farty pretentious misdirected nonsense or a brave inteligent attempt to demonstrate that even the most 2 dimensional backstory can have new life breathed into it if it is simply approached from a different perspective?

The need for a decision about what it is creates an arena in which people expose what they think games were before and what they should/could or will be after and I'm excited by that.

My agenda is to see content mature to the point where I care about it, where I feel involved. I want to see game designers the world over realize that being a good designer is a VERY different thing from being a good writer so that it effects a huge change in the industry over the next decade or so where we start seeing companies advertising for writers, fulltime, inhouse in the same way we see artists being recruited.

Whatever your opinions, I think this trailer proves how radically having a different set of skills and approach can alter a game, even if only for a minute.

Thats enough for me , certainly for the moment.

r.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yes yes mate, that's all well and good. But the point is that when those piano notes kick in and his face is lit up by machine gun fire, it totally gives me goose bumps smile.gif