Home Technical Talk

Doom 3 center Seam

Tintin
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tintin polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys

I have this model exported to doom 3, the probem is the seam across middle its looks bad, even more than the stock models. I have used renderbump to the make normal with enough edge padding but it is still there. Anyone else have the same issue.

bye

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    this is probably because of the uvmap. Doom3 splits shading where uvmap "islands" are iirc
  • Tintin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply, can you explain a bit more

I have noticed the shading is diffrent on one side

thanks
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    There's always a seam or hard line like that on D3 models, it's even present on the original models.

If it's a character model you will have to use "unsmoothtangents" in the material file (look at some of the default shaders for character models in D3) as that 'forces' the polygon/lighting relationship in game to behave differently (don't recall the technical reasons).

If it's a map object then you can't use unsmoothtangents so you'll have to hide any UVW seams on the mesh by strategically placing them where there are 'natural' edges or seams on the model or where there's a relatively flat area of polygons before transitions to angled faces.

Regarding the shading, if you've done the model correctly there shouldn't be any difference between each side of the model, that's usually the result of not 'fixing' a mesh that's been mirrored so check your face normals and which why they're pointing (all to the outside).
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    if its a vertical seam like over your chest/face you can takea 128 128 128 grey brush and paint along that seam on the red color chanel of the normal map in photoshop the seam will be gone afterwards smile.gif if its a horizontal seam link on a belt or somethign / i guess it doesnt hurt anyone in that case) you can you the same method but in the green color chanel
  • Tintin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kat, that must be it the material when you mentioned unsmoothtangents it hit me. I didn't create the material so I will check it. Hopefully this solve the problem thank you very much for all your help.

Ta