Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ugly thang.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
retleks polycounter lvl 18
Hello everyone, here is something I'm working on atm for my portfolio. Hope you like, and maybe tell me what you hate about it.

ugly2.jpg

Replies

• qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    i like the idea of having tits just for the sake of having tits. He looks cool wink.gif
  • Clint
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet i like it alot. Maybe the front legs should attach more to the bottom of the torso though. Nice boobies for an ugly thing. maybe too nice?
  • nomichi
    Offline / Send Message
    nomichi polycounter lvl 17
    if it's gonna go topless give that momma some saggies. All the running that thing could do is bound to cause some stretching. wink.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice one! Give it giant saucer nipples!

poop.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for an ugly thing, its face is pretty good looking.

might wanna do something about that.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    love the boobies and double-elbows
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    stew.gif
    maybe give her spikey things on her head? maybe some horns? the upper body seems way too normal to be attached to that lower body.
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies. I've found that some think the head looks sexy, and some think it looks masculine. I'm sticking with it because felt natural to me, I don't know what that means. My idea was that maybe somehow this things victoms would be attracted to it, perhaps if it made a point to only keep that part of its body in light, so the head and chest are going to remain relatively human. Thanks again.
  • skrubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Ferg... love the double-elbows on this topless hottie!
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've found that some think the head looks sexy, and some think it looks masculine. I'm sticking with it because felt natural to me, I don't know what that means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her jaw is really big which is giving her a stronger look and throwing the masculinity in there.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    hehe nice, reminds me of the vagary, slightly less hot though smile.gif
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, been busy on this lately. Can't say I'm entirely too pleased about the texture, but I gave it my best go, and I'm getting better, but it's deffinitly not one of my strengths. Thanks again for all of your comments.
    ugly3.jpg
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    hey, nice thing!+) diffuse is now very dark and monochrome for me.
    P.S: keep going !
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    ugly4.jpg
    Okay, redid the diffuse, no spec yet, hope you like it.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    aw shucks. I liked the other diffuse better. Looks like you upped the saturation, or maybe copied the texture onto a multiply/color burn layer? Thats not quite what he meant by monochromatic.

This new texture looks waaaaay too 'game art'y. The first one had some nice realistic tones to it, and read believably, in my opinion. You just needed some subtle hue variations. A good way to get some of that is to find a nice marble/metal picture with lots of different colors going on and set it to a 30% or so opacity Soft Light/Overlay layer in photoshop. After that, you can go in and start picking out the different hues, bringing colors forward, etc.

Another thing to think about is the kind of skin you're painting. The thinner it is, the redder it will be [assuming its blood is red] while thicker places will be duller, where there's lots of skin and/or callouses. Perhaps s/h/it has different colored 'socks' like horses do? Maybe a darker back that fades into the lighter color and then into the pinker underbelly? Maybe the scales should go up the human spine and cover his head as well?

Initially I was a little turned off by the model, it looked too smooth and zbrushy, but I think the normal map came out great, and really want to see you push the texturing further.

I hope some of this helped. I'm tired. Damn 12 hour work days frown.gif
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs: Thanks for taking the time to write that, it's very helpful, and I think I will give it another go. When I put the two versions side by side, there are bits I like from both and I think I will give your suggestions a try. Texturing isn't where my strengths are so I'm trying to push my self in that area... need a job you know.
  • Slash
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Try using some texture overlays to make things a little more interesting. Printscreen a part of google map in satellite mode, many parts of siberia and sahara has awesome textures.