Home General Discussion

company of heroes?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
so i played some of the demo this evening... looks pretty damn badass. has some interesting rts concepts i haven't really seen before. only thing is... its really fucking hard! LOL and somewhat unballanced too... i've been playing the skirmish mode and man the fact that the germans can buy veterancy for their dudes KILLS, like just having lvl 3 veterancy on ALL my guys and having upgraded weapons on all of them will pretty much wipe out any equivalent allies unit. with allies by the time u even gain a point of veterancy half the squad's been wiped out... i guess building those field hospitals or whatever is an option, but they cost manpower so its kind of a trade off, just seems like so much more hassle than dumping like 300 manpower with some change and getting all ur dudes to a higher veterancy level. tanks also seemed way underpowered for what they cost to get in the game... like a couple of anti tank guns with some support infantry will pretty much stop everything, and the fact that u have to defend on all fronts spreads ur dudes out so thin that u can't really even amass any kind of stomping force, and if you sit back and let your areas get taken over while you're putting together an army you'll just lose since now your opponent is getting more resources than you. anyways, the game seemed pretty cool, i can see it being REALLY frustrating, like how i never managed to win a skirmish as allies vs axis... the only time i won was the one time i played as ze germans...

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    So there's resource gathering in it? Hmm...I got the impression it was more like Ground Control, working with a predetermined squad...should be interesting...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I've been tracking the game for some time now. Got the demo the day it came out - realy enjoying it. Then again, I love all of Relic's work smile.gif
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I was lucky enough to get in the beta. It's a tough one to get used to, but the balance is really very good, once you understand what's going on properly. The Axis veterancy costs a fortune in resources (including oh-so-precious fuel), so they'll be trading tanks for elite units. And Mr Rockstar, you've got to be the first person to say that tanks are underpowered. The beta boards are filled with whingers saying that they're impossible to beat.....

Anyhoo, this is far and away the best RTS I've played, Relic has done it again. (Dave- if you read this, nice work man laugh.gif If you're allowed, post some of the assets you worked on)
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    the resources gather automatically, the rate increases based on how many resource points you control, different types of areas give you different resources, like munition, fuel, manpower.

CheeseOnToast: i tried going with the tank upgrade tree, but got my ass handed to me every single time, so i just decided to forego tanks alltogether and focus on infantry, you can have a pretty diverse group of troops with just infantry, plus the resources you'd spend building those vehicle factories can be spent on getting the veterancy for your troops. ah well, i guess maybe i just don't know how to play with tanks, i could never get more than one or two in 1 location since i had to spread my forces out so thin to maintain my borders, and those anti tank guns destroyed my tanks every single time, if anything i'd say those things are way overpowered. ah well i'll look on the net for more infos maybe i'm doing something wrong.

EDIT: well ok maybe tanks aren't that bad... lol i had 4 veteran panzers and a tiger tank and that pretty much wiped out everything the allies had. those goliath things the bunkers spawn are BADASS... lol i had like 4 of them and blew them up in the middle of an allied rush, everything in there died. lol.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Gonna have to get the demo of this...played it for a little while at QuakeCon,just the tutorial levels they had running there,but had quite abit of fun with it none theless,didn't realise the demo was out frown.gif.

*goes off to download the demo*

John
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Picked up a DVD copy today even though I could've bought it thru the employee purchase. Must say this game kicks so much ass. The campaign missions have been a lot of fun and challenging so far. The game feels very polished. Anybody else picking it up? It'd be great to get some polycount battles going sometime.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    omg?

How'd you land a copy? It's not supposed to be out until tomorrow smile.gif

Bastid! hehe
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I just played the demo! Fuck! Awesome! And yeah, goddamn hard. This will definitely be a purchase.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago it was out in stores on the 12th...shipped to retail on the 11th. You should've been able to find it anywhere. There are 3 versions at retail, PC-CD ROM, PC-DVD ROM, PC-DVD ROM Collector's Edition in a Metal DVD case with some goodies and a 2nd disc with making of, dev diaries and art...also some vehicle flash cards for learning about the vehicles and armor in game. Hope you can find it, I needs some competition. wink.gif
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone seen this screeshot?

easuxyq8.jpg
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    hahha, instant classic!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A skirmish i played against the PC AI tonight took 2 hours 47 minutes to beat it...on normal. 0_0 I've found with allied forces that the howitzers are really handy.
  • Joshua Stubbles