polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snemmy polycounter lvl 18
since it's spreading like wildfire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732439.htm
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20349534-952,00.html

RIP you crazy Aussie! frown.gif
at least he was doing something he loved when he passed.

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    *12 crocodile salute, followed by a moment of silence, followed by an honorary battle royale with 2 of every animal Steve Irwin ever wrestled*
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that blows. I loved the Croc Hunter.

He did go doing what he loved though. Kinda ironic, stung through the heart. :P
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, just read about this. frown.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Well with the way that guy acted around animals, he was sorta living on borrowed time as is. I actually always figured he would die from a snake bite.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    This wasn't just a man tempting fate, but an australian icon universal to the rest of the earth and perhaps even the universe and a (once) continuing source of inspiration.

He will be missed. R.I.P
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    frown.gif

RIP you crazy animal lover
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Tis a sad day. He did a lot for animal protection and I enjoyed being entertained by him many times. I was stunned to read this about a half an hour ago. :*(
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    ahhh man that's lousy news frown.gif RIP Steve
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    My heart fucking sunk when I went to CNN. It's not a suprise, but holy crap that sucks, such an awsome guy.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    RIP sir. Its a testament to his greatness that practically all of our news servers were knocked offline by the massive influx of international traffic when the news dropped.

Condolences to his wife and two little children.

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    that sucks. stung through the fucking heart by a sting ray. holy shit, that's berserk.

cue the cruel flash cartoons :\
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    wow, this blows. he was quite the entertainer. rip iriwn, crazy fuckin' aussie.
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    I just got the news from my roommate as soon as I wallked in the room she had the saddest face on her. Then she showed me the article and then there was silence. I am so sad right now........
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    RIP Steve, i hope there are plenty of crocs to wrestle in the afterlife.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah pretty sad. Was a great conservationist, and was always enjoyable to watch someone who was trully passionated about what they believed in. Didn't ever think he die on the job. Pictured him more likely to just get mauled by a croc, then retire to his zoo with a claw like appendage and an eye patch.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Crikey he's dead !

I thought he was a muppet..
    Ive been diving many times and seen stingrays of various sizes that never bothered anyone.. he must have been poking it with a stick.. muppet...

I feel sorry for his wife and kids more than anything..
    he is a good consevationist but I hated his sensationalistic style.. muppet.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    crazy, sting rays are not too aggresive, he must of really had his thumb up his bum. i got stung by one when i was 14, i landed on it while diving. i cant imagine a hit to the chest unless he was tring to hump it or something, well that or the fact they are pretty much invisible on the bottom when the burrow a bit in the sand, just two little eyes sticking up. but having seen his show i am sure he was fucking with it pretty hard and just pissed it off.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, not a Happy Day for us Aussies. However, while he was a great bloke, (I met him when I was 9), thousands die everyday. He will be missed, but lets not forget the big picture, you are born, you live, and you die. It was just his time.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    since he held his baby infront of a crocodile I decided he was a total nutcase.. still it's a shame alright he was fun to watch
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i think he was an animal botherer. I only wish he had been killed by a croc.
    I mean lets face it he just used to harass animals for entertainment.
    No wonder the croc is pissed off mate if you keep on poking it
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Damn frown.gif

I liked him, really sorry for his family frown.gif
  • Seyiji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyiji polycounter lvl 19
    Just turned on the TV and saw this frown.gif

R.I.P Man frown.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, rolf. Although it is a guy that died, it's still a little funny.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    crazy, sting rays are not too aggresive, he must of really had his thumb up his bum.

[/ QUOTE ]He has the dubious honour of being one of only two people to ever be killed by a stingray in our country. The report (and who can say how accurate they are) say that he was diving, swam over the top of the ray and it got startled and nailed him in the heart. Nasty stuff.

I feel pretty sorry for his wife who was hiking in Tasmania when it happened. It was all over the news well before she heard anything about it.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    In honor of Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, I will play lots and lots of Monster Hunter today.

It must be done!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Shortly after 11:00am local time on 4 September 2006, Irwin was fatally pierced in the chest by a stingray barb while diving off Queensland's Great Barrier Reef. The events were caught on camera and the footage is now in the possession of Queensland Police.[22] He had been filming a segment for his daughter Bindi's upcoming television series. Irwin was in the area filming his own documentary, to be called Ocean's Deadliest, but weather had stalled filming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha as much as its tragic that he's dead, he sure has been asking to have a wild animal kill him. Crazy that it's one of the most out there animals to die from, sounds like it totally could have been avoided if he let it know he was coming.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Aghh!

If any of us had found ourselves sitting up in a Denny's at 2am and discussing The Crocodile Hunter, we'd have admitted as part of the normal flow of coffee house conversation that yes, one day we'd read that Steve Irwin was devoured by a shark ... mauled by a gorilla ... poisoned by a snake ... maybe even impaled by a stingray. I'm sorry to see him go, but then it's hard to be very sad about someone dying as spectacularly as he lived. If only we could all be so lucky!
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    My guess is that Ruz and rolfness are both either around 16 years old or just overall immature. You must feel good and mighty to talk shit about someone who's dead.

Apparently neither of you know all the great things he actually did with his life. Your naivety is ridiculous. I can't believe you could say you're glad he's dead because he poked at animals. Did you ever think maybe he was demonstrating how vicious and primal they were, not just fucking with them for shits and giggles. You should read something about him, it may enlighten you, maybe even introduce you to a hint of maturity.

• Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Apparently neither of you know all the great things he actually did with his life. Your naivety is ridiculous. I can't believe you could say you're glad he's dead because he poked at animals. Did you ever think maybe he was demonstrating how vicious and primal they were, not just fucking with them for shits and giggles. You should read something about him, it may enlighten you, maybe even introduce you to a hint of maturity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to be mean but I have to agree with sonic on this one. frown.gif
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sonic.. ahahah..... you keep talking that funny smack ahahaha
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah it's sad, especially for his family. I never really enjoyed his show (since I don't need to see animals trying to maul people to enjoy an animal show), but I have to admit that he had bigger balls than most men could grow in 100 year of puberty.

RIP Steve Irwin
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My guess is that Ruz and rolfness are both either around 16 years old or just overall immature. You must feel good and mighty to talk shit about someone who's dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, and I'll be mean for you - people poking fun are fucking idiots and shouldn't be allowed to breed.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Better yet, they should be shot out of a cannon and into the sun! Come on, you guys are being silly.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    come on people, he was never out there just jumping on a croc to be doing it or harassing animals without purpose. he was over exhuberant in his presentation but that's what set him apart from other wildlife show presenters: his enthusiasm. you cannot look at Irwin's life without saying he 'good lord did he love animals'. he knew when to back off of the animals and treated them with respect and educated teh public on wildlife and animal conservation.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/04/irwin.death/index.html

"He and the underwater cameraman went out to do some pieces on the reef and coral and stuff good for the kids' show and, unfortunately, he came out over the top of a stingray that was buried in the sand and the barb went up and hit him in the chest."

so it's not like he was handeling the stingray when it happened.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Before any of you think low of hiw, listen to this. Before he died, he pulled the barb out of his own chest first. A man with guts, no doubt about it. And for you tools (Australian slang for 'dickheads') actually having the nerve to poke fun at him, you really are just proving how much of a nieve bitch you are. He did great things for this country. He may have been a tad over enthusiastic, yes, but his enthusiasm for things that he believed in was infectious, and got everyone involved. And, just because you didn't like the way he acted, you should read up on some of the great things he has done. And if you thought he was just fucking with animals for, as sonic so cleverly put it, shits and giggles, then you should take a look at Australia Zoo. The zoo that he started, and basically saved a few species from extinsion. He was Australias biggest Conservationist, worked with Australian Quarrantine and their TV campaign, and also with Toyota. He ran the God damn Australia Zoo, and tought many people many valuable lessons about Australian animals and wildlife. And on top of that, he was just a bloody good bloke.

So, seriously, cut the shit. Think of him as you will, just do not post it here. And before you judge a man who died doing what he loved, make sure you actually do a bit a research before you make an ignorant and uninformed fool of yourself.

If my previous post seemed a little negative, I did not mean it to be, I just meant it to read that we should celebrate his life, other than mourn his death.

Anyway, Goodbye Steve, You were an Australian Icon. And a bloody good Croc Hunter.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He knew his stuff and I think part of his act was to pretend like he didn't. It always SEEMS more dangerous when you're not sure what will happen next. Sure he was blasted for dragging his infant son in with a croc but he knew exactly what he was doing and you can tell the baby wasn't really in any harm. Yes he was a risk taker and the work he did was dangerous but he was good at making it seem 100 times more dangerous than it actually was.

At least he died with his boots on...
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I always figured one day he'd slip up with a snake or croc...but I dont know how anyone could have predicted he'd die by something as docile as a stingray. Of all the poisonous and toothy animals he handled...this was certainly not the end I had invisioned. His life was inspiring and I'll miss him.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    I will always think of Mr. Irwin’s enthusiastic approach as this to quote Gladiator, ‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.'
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cmon guys he was hardly david attenborough. I am sure he did love animals, but I don't like the way he sought to thrill seek with them.
    I am neither 16 or immature BTW and I was a scientific/wildlife illustrator if you must know.
    To me he was an entertainer, not a bad person ,but like a dangerous version of rolf harris.
    To be sure if you want me to be serious about it, its a tragedy as it is if anyone dies, but you must see the funny and even ironic side of this also
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    everyone dosent have to care if some guy with a tv show dies. guys with tv shows die all the time. ernest died and to tell you the truth that could of affected me more than steve irwin dying only if i had some kind of sick obsession with celebrity to the point of getting emotional when someone i have only encounterd on a magical box with moving pictures fails to continue to appear on the box any longer. Honestly the guy could of died after the last episode of his show i saw and if no one would of told me i would of never noticed, so why start pretending now? i am not going to make fun of the guy, but at the same time i am not going to act like he was such an important part of my everyday life and such a source of the eternal everlasting inspiration that i can go around calling people tools and assholes just because they dont give a shit, they dont really have to, he is just some guy none of us really know. could of been a wife beater or a pedophile, and when that news came out all your lovey dovey comment will be replaced with those of despise and hatred. so why lash out on those you actually have real contact with (as real as internet contact can be) just because they dont like some guy you've never had any contact with? i just dont understand i guess, sorry.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone has got their own opinion, but not everyone is mature to withold it at the sake of trolling the thread.

It looks like steve was very dearly respected and admired by many posters, and for someone to just spread verbal diarheea is bad for. So the guy died, you didnt like him while others did. You're just gonna poke fun at it for your own amusement ?

arsh: for god's sakes use paragraphs smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Its not that hard to get.. because with a TV show personality who you watch every week/day you get to feel like you do know them.. I didn't really care much about him but I can still understand the feelings. I listened to john peels show all the time, and although I never met him I felt like I knew him. So yeah I was upset when I heard someone I never had any direct contact with died, and I would have been pissed at jokes about it no matter how irrational it seems.

all I'm saying is not everyone sees them as pictures on a magic box
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    He was an interesting TV personality, but that's all the further I thought of him. I really just can't justify being too sad over it.
    Sure, it sucks, but it's more of a media thing it seems like to me. They call him crazy, and mock him, but the second he dies they all miss the guy. Just seems stupid to me.