Home Technical Talk

how to render isolines in max

shape
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
shape polycounter lvl 17
Anyone know a good way of rendering the isoline type display that is an option under meshsmooth in Max 8?

I want some nice renders of meshsmoothed objects with the isoline display overlayed. Only way I can see of getting the isolines out of Max is to screengrabs which isn't really suitable for what I need it for.

cheers

Jacob

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    isolines? the wireframe? copy the mesh, give it a black (or whatever) wireframe material and a push modifier with about a 0.5 setting or so.
  • shape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry I'm not after the standard wireframe where every edge is displayed. Isolines in Max (and I believe Maya as well has used that sort of display for a while) look like a control cage (in density) but are smooth. Let's you see meshflow without displaying every triangle. It's an option under the Meshsmooth modifier.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think printscreen may be the only way frown.gif

You could always try turning on the antialiasing settings in the viewport (never tried it myself, i think it's a setting in the Preferences menus), do your render with whatever lighting, then with the exact same camera angle, screengrab the viewport with the isoline display wires set to black, with the model material set to 100% self-illuminated white, and with the viewport background white.
    then just paste that over the top of your render and change the layer mode to Multiply or Darken, and scale it to fit as appropriate.
    that'll only work for still frames, though, and it's a bit of a faff, but it'd probably work...
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Make a duplicate of your object, put a push modifier on it with a setting of .1. Now assign it a material that has the "wireframe" box ticked inside it. I just tried this and it renders the isolines when I have a turbosmooth modifier on, with "isoline display" checked. Now you have an isoline wireframe overlay of any color you want. To save render time and to make sure it looks correct, you might need to right click the isoline version of the object and go into the properties to make sure it doesn't cast shadows, otherwise it will keep anything from getting to the object below.

poop.gif
  • shape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    yay turbosmooth isolines.. cheers fellas smile.gif