Home General Discussion

Superman Returns Teaser....

Replies

• BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    There's a couple cheeze moments but im diggin it.

Brando sure pays off. I like the jump and the fall shots. A nice way to introduce the realization of beaing able to fly.

Narration talks too much about humans and Earth though(see sig)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Narration? NARRATION??
    Dude that was Superman's daddy!

Superman itself is cheese, and I like it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Cheese my ass. Superman was the first. It about idealism and faith in the humanity of mankind.

Cheese to some.
    Ideals to follow for others.

*SWOOOOSH!*
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    looks good to me
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Light on his feet?
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    ahahi thought it was great when they had a shot of him in profile and he has those cute curly curls in his hair smile.gif

Looks lie they are staying true to 50's style superman
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Did Jorel just say that he sent him to earth to set a good example for all the humans? So... he didn't send him to earch cause his planet was gonna blow up and he'd get super strong on earth???
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    I shed a tear. I friggin love it. I'm glad they stuck with the original looking outfit.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    bah, Superman Returns my arse. It's a remake!

Gus Van Sant's "Psycho Returns"
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I almost cheered when it started playing the Superman music .. can't wait ;-D
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Jor-El so loved the world, He sent his only Begotten Son.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Did Jorel just say that he sent him to earth to set a good example for all the humans? So... he didn't send him to earch cause his planet was gonna blow up and he'd get super strong on earth???

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah that's what I was getting at. I do believe that we will still see Krypton exploding id rather see Supes sent out of desperation. Not because the humans are good people. That's weak.

Also, the part where a grown supes is edited to look like he's emerging from the meteor spaceship is predictable and amateurish editing.

I STILL really liked the trailer but i'm not gonna go all black or all white and say it was amazing.

Brando kills it. Too bad he has some really weak lines.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. That was mega-awesome I feel. Got me all excited.
    I really enjoyed the narration. Brain Singer, apparently, delivers the goods once again.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    this seems to be an origin story.. then why is called superman returns??? where is he returning from if this is like the first part?? and why is superman a skinny little twit?? i thought superman was giant hunk of beef.. this guy is a fairy.. i dont know about this..looks pretty dumb so far..
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    Superman Returns is supposed to take place after Superman 2. Yes, they have completely thrown out the other movies and their plotpoints.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I think it's going to at least be a fun summer flick, and perhaps make for a good trilogy like most comic movies tend to be going for.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    we will see hints of Apokolips is all Im wanting.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how much you know about the Superman universe but I used to be a big comic geek so... anyways Jor'el could have sent Superman to any one of thousnads of Alien worlds . Remember in the first movie when Superman is flying to earth he talks about how the Galaxies are all populated etc etc ... well he sent Kal'el to earth because he seen how great the potential was and that's what he is talking about in the trailer .
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I don't see how this can live up to the original. I would have prefered to see them go the direction of Alex Ross and a barrel chested manly superman.

Instead, they've homogenized another one for the ladies it seems which always saddens me.

r.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha that's funny Ror I was thinking the same thing when the trailer played as a preview in front of Harry Potter and all the kids were going " Owww smallvile " ..lol
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    Hated this teaser, also on a big screen. Blargh, crap.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i was underwhelmed. it seemed like it could have built to something but didn't feel like going all the way. like halfway between a teaser and a full trailer.

and where was the ripping open the shirt to reveal the S? wink.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone seen the movie yet? Just saw it last night and it was awesome. It got the Brian Singer "characters first" treatment, and the action sequences were fun to watch. Totally immersive. Lex Luthor's role seemed like an aside though, not even spacey's portrayal redeemed how flat it was (IMHO).

but on the whole the movie stuck to theme implied in the title. I loved it. Gonna see it again on Saturday. smile.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    saw it today, it's enjoyable. The conflict felt like a formula checklist though. Ok, luthor? check. Kryptonite? check. Big planet-threatening scheme? Check. But aside from that, I had a blast watching it!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen it yet, but I saw on TV yesterday that Lois Lane has a kid in this one... that was disappointing to hear frown.gif Enough of this formulated crap. Every show/movie doesn't require a single working mom.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Great movie.

She's not single, notman. tongue.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK... that's not how it was explained by the actress on the Today show :/ As I mentioned though, I haven't seen it yet... just going by what she said.

I'm just really not a big fan of jumping from the original story line. To be honest, I wish they had just continued the series without reintroducing and reinventing all the characters.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They didn't 'reinvent' the characters. It's a continuation of the first 2 movies...

So it's exactly what you want...
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    This will probably be the worst movie ever made by man, no that's not enough, the worst movie in the solar system period.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, all the people I know that have seen it have really liked it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I plan on seeing it either way, but apparently I've been misunderstanding or misinformed. I thought I seen scense where he starts off from the beginning again.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope.

The plot takes place 5+ years after the second film.

Superman goes to search for Krypton after some astrologists find out where it was. He's gone for 5 years and then finally returns.

I think my friend was spot on with his description:
    [ QUOTE ]
    The whole movie felt familiar, but in a very good way. It was like revisiting a part of childhood that the new Star Wars films just didn't instill in me. It had a few nits and picks at times, but it successfully managed to restore dignity back to the Superman franchise.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    My Justice League Season 2 DVD came with a ticket to see Superman Returns laugh.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nope.

The plot takes place 5+ years after the second film.

Superman goes to search for Krypton after some astrologists find out where it was. He's gone for 5 years and then finally returns.

[/ QUOTE ]

9 years, I think they said...
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    found it to be REALLY mediocre and forgetable, no wherenear the fun of either spidey, or batman begins,
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I think the filmmakers should have taken a leaf out of this book...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx82qBgyojg&search=bicycle%20repair%20man

PS. How does Superman slow down in space? It's a frictionless environment. :P
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how can he fly in the atmosphere with it being an enviroment with friction and gravity...

he can stop bullets with his freaking eye but you are worried about something like slowing down in space?

what i'm curious to is, how he manages to fix that neat lil spit curl in his hair so damn quick, then unfix it the next second..
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I really enjoyed this flick. Saw it in Imax 3D.
    I liked the actor they chose for Superman. He did a good job I feel. Spacey as Luthor was great, even though I went in expecting to dislike his portrayal.
    Im going to see it again sometime soon on a normal screen.

If you are going to nit-pick sciency-physics stuff in a Superman movie, youre seeing the wrong movie.
    Thats like arguing the historical accuracy of LOTR.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Comics use fun physics not real world physics.

I really enjoyed the movie saw it with all the guys from work and plan to see it again with my girlfriend and her brother this weekend too. I liked what he carried along from the other movies and what he added. Its a very well done movie and will be in my dvd colection as soon as it comes out.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    So the newcomer guy playing Superman is pretty decent? Great, that was my only hesitance on seeing this movie.

Does it top Spiderman?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not even a shadow of either spidey movies, or batman begins, or even the xmen movies.. its better than daredevil and electra tho my opinion
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I enjoyed it. In short , Spacey made the film, I respected how faithful it was to the originals, enjoyed the updates to the way they portrayed his abilities and singer's dry humour was well placed.

I was happy to see Lex played up as a much more threatening persona instead of the jolly clown caper style that Hackman was required to portray previously.

On the downside, the last act is overly long, the 'savior' thing seemed uneeded and supes seemed more like an apologetic husband in the doghouse than the man of steel I remember but I guess that's the modern age and they have to provide some hook to allow all the nerds to talk their ladies into going with them to see it smile.gif

r.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Just watched the movie. No complaints at all. Best superman movie ever...Indestructible Lois Lane.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    how can he fly in the atmosphere with it being an enviroment with friction and gravity...

he can stop bullets with his freaking eye but you are worried about something like slowing down in space?

what i'm curious to is, how he manages to fix that neat lil spit curl in his hair so damn quick, then unfix it the next second..

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. I guess I'm just the type of person who asks: Why are there sounds in space in the Star Wars films? smile.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cause he's superman.. sheesh! laugh.giftongue.gif

National Geographic Channel's The Science of Superman was pretty neat to watch.

going to see it today. though i dread the july4 weekend crowd
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I enjoyed bits in the beginning but overall I didn't like it at all I'm afraid. It was over long and rambling and the evil plot didn't make much sense. As the 7 year old in the theatre shouted out halfway through 'mommy, I'm bored!' I couldn't help but agree. Most scenes were way too long. It wasn't a very well made film. The editing was poor and there were some fairly dodgy cg shots including a particularly unconvincing and seemingly unecessary closeup digital double at the end. An example of the poor editing: (possible spoiler alert) when they are struggling to make it back to the seaplane the propeller starts up and it very much 'read' as though someone had beaten them to it. All of the 7 people I was with thought the same. Every leading actor looked about 22, which didn't make much sense particularly since 5 years were meant to have passed.

And wow, anyone notice the EA branding in there? Damn, that must have cost 'em millions. It's in the trailer too.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    OMG...how can they not tell it's actually Clark Kent, and why does he always wear that suit under his clothes? How does he use the bathroom?

Seriously, why don't you guys go watch Tokyo Drift or something? I was waiting outside the theater afterwards, and this couple walked by. The woman asked "so, um, the kryptonite kills him? So what do all those crystals do?"

I've lost faith in humanity.

I enjoyed the movie. It was a good movie. Great action scenes, but without the emphasis on action. It felt very familiar, as someone already said. It portrayed the character well, and followed in Reeves footsteps. Sometimes it looked like Reeves was still here. Spacey did great. There were some good laughs.

You guys expecting to see "X-treme Superman 30XX"...sorry you were disappointed.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    It never ceases to utterly amaze me when people get childishly pissy when somebody else doesn't like something that they like.

I don't see much in this thread about people tearing it apart on a scientific/physics level. I agree that that's absurd when watching a comic movie. My own personal criticisms of the film were on a technical level. It simply wasn't a good film in my humble opinion.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz: You ought to have gotten over your amazement by now wink.gif

r.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    its not a good film... simply ok. I felt the story was weak.. I mean Lex get can attain knowledge from the crystals (knowledge of over 1 million alien species - I cant remember the figure)
    So he comes up with some lame plan to create new landmasses in the ocean... weak. I think the film really needed a 'super' villain or a plot that actually works.
    I mean christ if I could obtain knowledge from Alien species I might use crystals to grow a new landmass in the ocean too..