Home General Discussion

Prey demo

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    oh that box thing totally fooled me...that was by far the highlight of the demo for me.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I hadnt already seen the box thing in that e3 gameplay trailer thing.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    walking upside down and having to look "up" for enemies will take some getting used to. At first I didnt think I was going to like that part of the game, but after playing the demo I can see where it will make for interesting puzzles/gameplay. I too wasn't crazy about the Native American approach, but the whole spirit walk and life recycle concept works so thats good enough for me. I'll be looking forward to the retail release. Any news on the date yet?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I think that the ship is the main intelligent bad guy and that its basically eating all the humans for fuel or whatever.

Either that or it's some sort of hivemind or psionic overlord. Come to think of it, controlled by a hive mind, razing planets eating all life, organic technology... Sounds familiar.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The gameplay was awesome, but the indian religion stuff bothers me, so I'm not gonna buy it

[/ QUOTE ]

Right yeah it's pretty bothersome, but the scene with the exploding and impaled 8 year olds is fine right? laugh.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Cool. Hats off to the devs. May actually pick this up. Other than the issue of system lockups (which was happening with HL2 as well, so it's something with my system and not the game), it played wonderfully. My gripe about the outline of the bodies killing the high poly work applies to some areas of the game, but not enough for me to not buy it. If the full game has half as fun as this I'll love it. The physics (wall / ceiling / SPHERE!) walking I love, as it's something I've felt a long time coming. The teleporting's nothing new, but is well implemented. I'm digging the weapon design (the whole 'organic assault rifle scope clamping onto your eye' bit freaked me out (in a cool way) when I realized it was doing that). The Indian religious stuff was very well done, hopefully no Jack Thompson-style whiners will surface.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I Loved it. Two favourite bits were: Bad guys rockin to Judas Priest deep within the alien architecture, and the random portals in multi-player (they really ramped the adrenalin up). I also liked the alien doors and such - very reminiscent of 'the many' in System Shock 2 - no bad thing.

Kudos to the HH guys, it's a nice piece of work.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The gameplay was awesome, but the indian religion stuff bothers me, so I'm not gonna buy it

[/ QUOTE ]

Right yeah it's pretty bothersome, but the scene with the exploding and impaled 8 year olds is fine right? laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I missed that one, where did this happen? smirk.gif But that's a point you got there Daz. I'm still thinking about why religious content bothers me more than violence. What you mentioned was something I didn't do as a player, those I fight against did it. That makes a difference for me.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I missed that one, where did this happen?

At the end of a corridor there's a cell to the right with two children in it. The cell force field won't deactivate before the seuence is over so you must have been busy with something else.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Well, the day has come when I have to say I 'only' have 1gb free on my hard drive, time to uninstall Oblivion and City of Villains methinks.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    awesome.. This demo definately convinced me to buy it!
    One thing that I thought was wierd though, when I first saw jenny I thought she might be an elf or something. her ears are kind of.. odd. Same with gramps to some extent. Brilliant fun though, and I guessed the box part might be done but I was still pretty surprised, especially when the alien runs in.. he looks normal size then gets closer.. bigger.. bigger.. whoa!
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    WHY IS EVERYTHING SO FUCKING SHINY?!

Thank you, whoever made that demo. You just wasted 15 minutes of my (and co worker's) lives that we'll NEVER GET BACK.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doom3. wink.gif
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    awesome.. This demo definately convinced me to buy it!
    One thing that I thought was wierd though, when I first saw jenny I thought she might be an elf or something. her ears are kind of.. odd. Same with gramps to some extent. Brilliant fun though, and I guessed the box part might be done but I was still pretty surprised, especially when the alien runs in.. he looks normal size then gets closer.. bigger.. bigger.. whoa!

[/ QUOTE ]

Start the demo up again and leave the toilets to see your grandad... croch and down and look at his Jaw. Its _REALLY_ odd, it looks like there's no actual model bit for the underneath and the neck extends past it.. - can't describe it but maybe I'm seeing something differently..
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    lol, you liked it then SouL? smile.gif

It doesn't have to be shiny just 'cos it's Doom3 though. I guess people feel that if the specular is available use it. But yeah, it is odd.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doom3. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My biggest disapointment with it is that it seems they didnt even try and use anything else but the base shader for all materials. This is a major lose imo.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like the way it's shiny. I also don't like the very evident normal-map look of everything (black shadows). You would think that, by now, these engines would have been tinkered with to make the visuals even better and less abrasive.

When I first started the game, I was a little miffed that I could get out of the pre-scripted scenes. Then I was frustrated that I had to walk around the bar numerous times to simply trigger the even that lets me proceed in the demo. I could have turned the game off right then and there. Luckily, a co worker was watching me play and told me that I'm supposed to trigger an event.
    Then POW! Lights... then WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH it's DOOM 3 AGAIN. The same shiny looking game lit by the same cyan colored lights with bright red underlighting... with a Native American. WTF?

The only thing that would save this game for me is if Steven Segal was in it and he would chant Native American hymns while kicking ass.

In all seriousness, this game has been presented to me before. And there's nothing interesting this time around that makes me want to play it.
    Why, why, why must normal mapped shadows have to be black? It's been 2 years since doom 3, where's the progression? Are they developing this game on an unmodified D3 engine?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    STOP THE PRESS!

SouL doesn't like black anymore!

Grown out of the goth period or what mate?! laugh.gif
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    well i dunno i managed to look past it's "doomish" looks and i found it to be quite enjoyable and immersive .. there is a lot of detail and thought put into the lever design and gameplay ..

even though i was following hte progress of this game i was still pleasantly surprised ..

i think soul needs a hug
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    What's the big deal with graphics anyways? The game was fun and if you were to ask me, that's what matters...

Oh, and I didn't think they were that bad, anyways. They worked.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, Im pretty confused by Soul's hatred of the game too. But obviously, no game is gonna appeal to everyone.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    One thing I've noticed in this game and FEAR, particularly on the female characters is there's HORRIBLE deformation around the shoulders and elbows. When the indian love interest is talking to your character in the bar there are several moments where her elbows deform badly and stretch the texture a bit. I know those spots are tough but cmon!

Another small gripe I had with a technical aspect is there are several objects (again, including the woman) where you can blatantly see the seam right down the center where they mirrored the textures.

Kind of dissappointing to see an otherwise well polished game have some bad flaws like that.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Still waiting for the 360 demo frown.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thought it was quite interesting. graphics were a bit of a let down generally but otherwise fun to play.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    came to post thoughts, stayed in the thread to see Daz ribbing SouL about black shadows laugh.gif
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    Aside from the normal map horror its a great game going to get
    this, much fun to play and that is what count.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does it bother you?

*edit*

To make this clear in advance, any reply that involves some sort of sterotypical ultra-secular Euro atheist cliche that takes a position against religion in general will likely result in my going on a rant, with all sorts of scorn and name-calling for having such an absurd reason not to play a video game. Just FYI smile.gif
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    can we have the rant anyway, verm?
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, no it's rather because I'm christian and I don't want to play practicing another religion. I just don't enjoy it smile.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Holy shit , my head don't stop turn around because of the gravity system ! EXCELENT - I LOVE IT !
    BRAVO for HUMAN HEADS . cool.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Haha, no it's rather because I'm christian and I don't want to play practicing another religion. I just don't enjoy it smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's less inclined to make me bang my head on the keyboard in despair. Is it specifically playing a character based on an actual world religion that you object to, or is it any sort of non-Christian overtone that you avoid? If you tell me that you won't play a priest or shaman class in World of Warcraft, for instance, I'm going back into Rant Mode!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    but do native americans really believe you can pop out of your body and shoot people with a glowing bow-and-arrow? It's not really playing as a religion, its just a fun gimmick to give the game some identity.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    lordscottish, i think you are being a little presumptious .. i dont think of it as something religious but something spiritual .. and spirituality is a theme that is explored in all kinds of media ..

it's not as if you are playing an actual religious propaganda game of sorts .. I think it's just their way of being creative and introducing spirituatlity as a gameplay element as well as a plot element..

to each his own i guess though
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    verm, I don't think full-on rant mode is required.

If he doesn't enjoy assuming the identities of people of other faith, why deride him? I know people who won't play games if you have to be a woman. I won't play games if they have a peregrine falcon in them, because I loath them with ever fibre of my being.

Personal taste isn't really anything to rant over. I doubt it ever changes anyones minds.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Those damn injuns and their heathen religion mad.gif. What about a missionary simulator where the object is to teach those savages the one true religion, and turn them into civilized, upstanding members of society like us white folk? Now there's a video game I'd be interested in.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Those damn injuns and their heathen religion mad.gif. What about a missionary simulator where the object is to teach those savages the one true religion, and turn them into civilized, upstanding members of society like us white folk? Now there's a video game I'd be interested in.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you... do you still get to kill them afterwards?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Only the ones who refuse to convert to Christianity. If a few should catch the measles or smallpox from our fine quilts that we so generously offered them, well... we'll just consider that God's will.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    verm, I don't think full-on rant mode is required.

If he doesn't enjoy assuming the identities of people of other faith, why deride him? I know people who won't play games if you have to be a woman. I won't play games if they have a peregrine falcon in them, because I loath them with ever fibre of my being.

Personal taste isn't really anything to rant over. I doubt it ever changes anyones minds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err... yeah. And that's why I didn't rant about it? In this case, I am cool with someone simply being uncomfortable with it - the Great Spirit that gives Tommy his powers is going smack up against hte First Commandment and all that. I don't share the discomfort, but I can understand the perspective. When that kind of opinion extends to some sort of zealotry, though, I'm not on board with it. I mean, if someone tells me he can't play Populous because it blasphemes our one true God, an argument I've heard before... yeah, that gets scorn and ridicule.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    To make this clear in advance, any reply that involves some sort of sterotypical ultra-secular Euro atheist cliche that takes a position against religion in general will likely result in my going on a rant, with all sorts of scorn and name-calling for having such an absurd reason not to play a video game. Just FYI smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry guys, stereotyping people based on their continent of origin will not faze him.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Great demo. Had a blast. The skin weight painting on the humans was pretty bad, is that left for late in the development? That and Jen's paint-on ears were the only things that really took me out of the game. Great level design.

The last time magic or religion in a game bothered me was when that blasted red wizard shot the food. cool.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is it specifically playing a character based on an actual world religion that you object to, or is it any sort of non-Christian overtone that you avoid?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't have a completely thought through concept, but I think it bothers me as soon as the religious aspect of the game is actually practised by people. Shooting at ghost beings with your spirit bow is not, but spirit walking or leaving your body is used by different religions and esoteric movements.
    The thing is though, that you propably don't find many things that aren't practiced by anyone on this planet, I'm thinking about the jedi movie.
    Grim Fandango for example didn't bother me, although it used names and words from existing religions.

[ QUOTE ]
    lordscottish, i think you are being a little presumptious .. i dont think of it as something religious but something spiritual .. and spirituality is a theme that is explored in all kinds of media .

[/ QUOTE ]
    From my point of view (which I agree that it is biased), there is no relevant difference between religion and spiritual things, both try reveal the supernatural. Religion is just more organized and institutionalised.

[ QUOTE ]
    Those damn injuns and their heathen religion . What about a missionary simulator where the object is to teach those savages the one true religion, and turn them into civilized, upstanding members of society like us white folk? Now there's a video game I'd be interested in.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought about using that example in my first post actually smile.gif I think many people propably wouldn't enjoy playing it while others wouldn't mind because it's just a game.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    played the bar intro, moved a few selected objects, squirted soap from the dispenser straight onto the floor ... saw scripted anims, saw metal, saw flesh, saw sphincters, saw everything covered in thick black shadow and semen lighting, hit things with a red wrench and made them twitch, saw railings ... corridors ... got to the first switch ... shut it down. I just can't be arsed with FPS games any more.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    odd really, I like shiny specular. It kind of hypnotizes me like a magpie staring at a 2 euro coin.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the sheer quality of things like the spirit walk... when you approach your body floating there you don't see jagged polygons clip through the surface...the surface of the character burns away. The puzzles within the game. I've been waiting for an FPS to incorporate brain teaserish puzzles.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is it specifically playing a character based on an actual world religion that you object to, or is it any sort of non-Christian overtone that you avoid?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't have a completely thought through concept, but I think it bothers me as soon as the religious aspect of the game is actually practised by people. Shooting at ghost beings with your spirit bow is not, but spirit walking or leaving your body is used by different religions and esoteric movements.
    The thing is though, that you propably don't find many things that aren't practiced by anyone on this planet, I'm thinking about the jedi movie.
    Grim Fandango for example didn't bother me, although it used names and words from existing religions.

[ QUOTE ]
    lordscottish, i think you are being a little presumptious .. i dont think of it as something religious but something spiritual .. and spirituality is a theme that is explored in all kinds of media .

[/ QUOTE ]
    From my point of view (which I agree that it is biased), there is no relevant difference between religion and spiritual things, both try reveal the supernatural. Religion is just more organized and institutionalised.

[ QUOTE ]
    Those damn injuns and their heathen religion . What about a missionary simulator where the object is to teach those savages the one true religion, and turn them into civilized, upstanding members of society like us white folk? Now there's a video game I'd be interested in.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought about using that example in my first post actually smile.gif I think many people propably wouldn't enjoy playing it while others wouldn't mind because it's just a game.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, i just find it hard not to respond to this, this will be all though. I'm agnostic... but it doesn't bother me when people make reference to or art, or games with religious themes or undertones. Religion is a way of life. Might aswell get used to that.

Native american religion is one of the coolest religions in my eyes as well totally based off of nature as opposed to the man in the sky who's going to save us from burning for all eternity if we believe in him garb.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...as opposed to the man in the sky who's going to save us from burning for all eternity if we believe in him garb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which religion is that?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A generalized version of Christianity?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    sounds like a standard misconception of nearly all monotheastic Abrahamic religions to me, not limited to but including christianity, judiasm, and islam.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the misconception, that the man in the sky will only save you when you do good deeds, belief alone is not enough?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I agree that indian religion is pretty cool and good to have in a video game. Who cares if its strictly accurate or whatever, the game has something about it that makes you want to play it. All too lacking in many game these days.