Home General Discussion

PS3 To Make PCs Obsolete

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
[ QUOTE ]
Besides defending the PS3, Harrison took time to evangelize the device, which will launch worldwide this November. In particular he said the Linux-based operating system on the console's hard drive will have enough processing power and non-gaming functionalities to render traditional PCs--most of which use a form of Microsoft's Windows OS--moot in the home. "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

[/ QUOTE ]

- Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios

This is awesome! I can't wait until we are using PS3s in the office to "tighten up the graphics" for whatever games we are working on. Is there anyone here who works for Sony and can confirm that they have made the switch to developing strictly on PS3s yet?

Replies

• doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    wow, that's just retarded on so many levels.

I'm speechless
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I read yesterday. However, this interview was done for a german magazine/e-zine. I think they misinterpreted what he said (which happens all the damn time in media).

I think Phil either said (or meant to say) that the PS3 will render HTPC's useless. Which it will. You'll no longer need a set-top PC box in the living room. The PS3 can record TV/HDTV, and has a larger HDD than most DVR systems.
    I honestly don't think he meant PC's in general.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I'd hope that the president of sony's "worldwide studios" would know the difference, and know better than to say something like that if it's not what he meant

apparently I'd be wrong

edit: my mistake, it's possible he actually did make the distinction and the translators fucked it up
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well then, gimme the link with the original text and i'll check what the interview in german says. which magazine?
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Haha! Well... somebody... whose name may be mentioned in this thread... did indeed try blagging off the Killzone2 trailer as being `the game` to the entire scee dev staff laugh.gif
    Quality rises to the top... thats the saying aint it?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I totally see the logic in what hes saying.

most pc users just surf the web and watch movies, store photos. In that respect, yes it does have the potential to make a pc obsolete.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I could see it replacing the typical PC, as Hawken was mentioning. Why have a giant PC on your entertainment center, or even on a desk, if all you're going to do is browse the net and play games that are available on the PS3. I honestly think that the PS3 and the 360 are going to start carrying every game that is available for PC. It wouldn't surprise me to see all games come out for console first, if not the same day as PC versions.

PC's may just become something for more hardcore people that like programing and graphic design. My real hope is that the PS3 will take off and more games will be made available for linux on the PC. I'm not sure what, if anything, would be necessary to do so after they develop PS3 games.

But I honestly don't have much faith that the PS3 will dominate the market as it has in the previous versions. I think Sony is depending too much on their blu-ray. I would feel better if they had just stopped trying to create their own format, and just followed the HD-DVD path.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever, Phil Harrison *is* still a tool though ;-p
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    well then, gimme the link with the original text and i'll check what the interview in german says. which magazine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit:
    Tiny URL, FTW:
    http://tinyurl.com/q95jj
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    "Why have a giant PC on your entertainment center, or even on a desk, if all you're going to do is browse the net and play games that are available on the PS3."

because you can't fcking upgrade them and if anything breaks you have to rely on SONY to fix it. Anyone with any experience with Sony customer support (especially playstation-related) knows why this is bad bad bad.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Umm, that interview will surely have been translated from English to German (unless Phil Harrison speaks German?), so having a German person read it won't make much difference if there was a translation error going from the original English into German for that magazine...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken not really. Whether he will admit as such or not. The audience willing to make a ps3 the replacement for the casual PC use wont be a gamer in the first place.

Sony is going about this all wrong. First, this new audience they mention wont neccesarily want a gaming machine as their main replacement. Those people who use webbrowsers also use word and print pictures of their kids (or grandkids), why would they want such a machine when they can get cheap PC that has office to do all this? Second, Sony will disinfranchise their core gaming audience if they start advertising the ps3 as this super multi function device while minimizing its gaming capability online.

As Vassago says, it does make sense for the HTPC. But this already is a very limited "techy" audience. And since these are techy people anyways, they still would want to have a separate machine for pc related functions.

The more I see, the more I think Nintendo is going to win this round.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't that the main criticism Sony fanboys had of the Xbox? "It's just a PC in a box." The ironing is delicious. But I think you guys are reading too much into this... It seems to me that he's just trying to justify the huge pricetag.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The ironing is delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Score! laugh.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    sony's ego is devouring them. looks like a case of the umds, instead of letting consumers choose they are trying to force feed us all these definitive formats and devices.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    MoP: i'd say it's very unlikely. the "Spiegel" is probably Germany's most renowned magazine. they don't usually screw up like that, not even in their online version.

ok, in that article, harrison is asked if microsoft's "live anywhere" - which is apparently something to network windows-pc, xbox360 and mobiles - could be something to worry about, since sony doesn't have that kind of access to the pc market.

harrison believes that the consumer who buys a playstation3 as the primary entertainment machine (of a household) will only want to use this one machine. he says that he believes that the PS will be the place where the user plays games, watches video and use other forms of computer entertainment. he says that the ps3 hands down is a computer and concludes that they (sony and their customers) won't need the PC.
    it's clear that he means that the PC is unnecessary for these kinds of entertainment if you own a PS3.

btw. in that article there is nothing about "In particular he said the Linux-based operating system on the console's hard drive will have enough processing power and non-gaming functionalities to render traditional PCs" - not at all.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    The day I hook up a printer to my PS3 and have to download drivers for it will be a sad day indeed.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can't wait until we are using PS3s in the office to "tighten up the graphics" for whatever games we are working on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I caught the reference, and just wanted to say that I'd be happy to fondle your buttocks for as long as you'll let me.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Ps3 is going to sell, but I'd be surprised if it "won" the next console generation. If Wii does everything it's supposed to do and as intuitively as it's supposed to, it will obviously rock. As far as ps3 vs 360 though, there is absolutely no way anything sony does for online will compete against what Live Anywhere has to offer. Having the access to the pc market that Microsoft has, and tying in all the 360 gamers to those pc gamers will create the hugest gaming communities ever.

Communities are what make games last and what makes them popular. Look at what Socom on the ps2, a game that if it had come out for PC or XBOX wouldn't have even been noticed. However, it comes out on ps2 where theres millions and millions of gamers who have had awesome rpgs, adventure games, racing games but only a couple of good shooters over the years. All of a sudden, a game that isn't anything spectacular was a success because it got a community behind it.

Live Anywhere is going to be the medium for communities that span accross many different games to exist. Somehow I've now ranted about Live Anywhere, when this post is about ps3 replacing pc. As far as that goes, not so much. Even if the ps3 could do everything a pc could do, in a lot of homes people have multiple pcs. Also, someone can watch tv or play games in the living room without it stopping someone from checking their emails or going on msn. If it's going to replace pc's, lots of families are going to need to have multiple ps3s.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Well, as a systems engineer I can tell you that if you can put linux on this thing it would run games better than 75% of the machines out there. I'm going by the HL2 hardware surveys. I can also tell you that consoles are far less likely to need servicing than a PC.

What he is saying is quite possible, if they allow us to run the machine with homebrew apps and full featured linux. And you wont need multiple PS3's, you can run a shell from a dumb terminal if you want.
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    Isnt this basically what a 'normal' x-box can do already(if you mod it a little)? Whats the big fuzz about?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can't wait until we are using PS3s in the office to "tighten up the graphics" for whatever games we are working on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I caught the reference, and just wanted to say that I'd be happy to fondle your buttocks for as long as you'll let me.

[/ QUOTE ]

My buttocks are yours for as long as you care to fondle them crazy.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Why have a giant PC on your entertainment center, or even on a desk, if all you're going to do is browse the net and play games that are available on the PS3."

because you can't fcking upgrade them and if anything breaks you have to rely on SONY to fix it. Anyone with any experience with Sony customer support (especially playstation-related) knows why this is bad bad bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I wouldn't want a Sony provided product, but how many users like I suggested, actually upgrade? Of the 20 or so people I know that use a PC, only 2 or 3 actually upgrade components. The rest just use the machine until the it's completely out of date, then they upgrade the whole thing. They use it to browse the net, use Word, and play games.

The funny thing is, it's basically a computer which everyone already has. So why not place a blu-ray drive into your computer and call it done? And to be honest, it's overpriced as a computer also (other than the fact it has blu-ray).
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Many companies are trying to cash in on the fact that many things that we've been doing on PC's for years are now going mainstream. It's not just AOL and Ebay anymore. I mean, watching movies on your computer? Listening to Mp3s from a expensive piece plastic? No way...this is like...the future! I should post this on my Myspace!

Sony can say all they want to justify their home entertainment center...but I'd rather buy a game console. Sony's track record so far has been garbage. I don't want to be stuck with their formats.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, as a systems engineer I can tell you that if you can put linux on this thing it would run games better than 75% of the machines out there. I'm going by the HL2 hardware surveys. I can also tell you that consoles are far less likely to need servicing than a PC.

What he is saying is quite possible, if they allow us to run the machine with homebrew apps and full featured linux. And you wont need multiple PS3's, you can run a shell from a dumb terminal if you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem there is coding for the Cell processor. Any normal homebrew code will run like ballsack, because when just using the general purpose processor, you're getting poopy performance. Think about it, 7 cores on one chip, you've got to make each core less powerful. So in reality, for what the average programmer can do, it's still just a mediocre PC. And we all know that Sony won't allow full access to the PS3. Look at the PSP, they've tried every damn trick in the book to keep anyone from doing any homebrew code whatsoever.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    i never upgraded my psp's firmware just so that i can have homebrew apps and games wink.gif

What will be interesting to watch is how the 360 and ps3 will fare against each other (as all in one media centers) and against the wii (being touted as a gamer's console).
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My buttocks are yours for as long as you care to fondle them crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so...does this mean that we have officially broken up, astro? confused.gif
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    i love how when Xbox came out all the ps2 fanboys were all like "omg xbox is just a computer in disguise that is so gay, playstation is a real gaming machine!!!!"

and now sony is going ahead and calling their gaming machine a computer. what a world we live in
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Don't overreact to this, you know it wasn't directed towards audiences like us. PS3 as a media center, sure I'll take it.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    im the sort of person that buys sepertaes as a sound system. and yes my cd player just went to its death bed, but do you know what i dont care, ive rediscovered some of my old records which i hadnt listened to in a while cios im lazy.

any way i dont want one machine to do it all, that sucks. if it breaks, arrgh no dvds, no music, no internet, man i might have to read a book, unless all ill have in the future is e-books

you know what id rather a pc next to my tv than that silver toaster
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    So lets say they do make the PS3 so that it can replace the 'average' home PC. They may be biting off way more than they can chew, what happens when the 'average' user does use it to browse the web and download such? I'm sure there will be viruses, popups and such tailered to the PS3, is it then going to be sony's respoinsibility to fix the broken PS3? Microsoft comes under a lot of heat because their software is vulnerable, I wonder if the same could happen to Sony.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    If they're using Linux the only bit they have to maintain themselves is the lowlevel stuff (probably the kernel + drivers). If the PS3 can run standard PPC binaries, that is. They'll also need an autoupdater and make sure to make it download the new versions as soon as they are available.

This'll finally getLinux the attention of virus writers and the claim that Linux has fewer security problems because fewer people use it can finally be tested.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will it come with a wireless keyboard, because I'm not ready to replace my computers interface device with a controller. Do they plan to make it upgradable?

Serriously if you plan to WOW me away from my PC you at least need to wow me...
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ps3 has usb ports if i'm not mistaken. So you would'nt need your controller. I also would'nt be surprised if they had voice input eventually.

As for the multicore thing, most games and apps these days take advantage of multicore. As for the 7 core's being downgraded, they are not in terms of speed, but are in terms of instruction sets and prescision maths. A simple compiler tool could convert a non threaded app into a multi threaded one. Not as effeciantly as if done by hand, but still. And last I checked I can run firefox or any browser on a p2-300mhz machine just fine. Same with winamp, email apps, and text editors etc. I'm sticking with Sony here, the average person wont need to upgrade for a couple years. And after that time, there will be something new anyway. 600 bucks for a 2 year computer that plays ps1 ps2 ps3 games, dvd and blue ray, wifi, HDMI/HD out, HD Audio etc... or a 7900 card that will be obsolete in 6 months....hmm... average joe says PS3.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    So, let's see what the average computer user does with their home computer, and if a PS3 could replace it.

Internet. For basic browsing, sure. But will full browser functionality be available? Will website design software be included?

Word Processing. Ughhh, I hate the thought of sitting on my couch with a keyboard, trying to make out the characters from ten feet away.

Music/Media management. Sure. PS3 should be able to handle Audio/video stuff to a greater or lesser extent. Downloading High Def quality movies would require external harddrives though, and an HD burner.

Photo management. Digital cameras means people want to share pictures, upload them, edit them, print them, back them up on CD/DVD. PS3 would be a pain for this.

Home finance software. General Excel/Quicken/Tax return stuff. PS3 would not seem like a good option.

Home video editing. On a game machine? Need a DVD burner, software, etc. Ouch.

Porn. Hmmm... Could work, I suppose, and those rumble controllers could be fun.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    As for the multicore thing, most games and apps these days take advantage of multicore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what?

[ QUOTE ]
    As for the 7 core's being downgraded, they are not in terms of speed, but are in terms of instruction sets and prescision maths.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's still terms of speed. Just because the clock speed is the same doesn't mean anything. Why do you think an Athlon64 outperforms a P4 at the same clock speed?

[ QUOTE ]
    A simple compiler tool could convert a non threaded app into a multi threaded one. Not as effeciantly as if done by hand, but still.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, come on. Those things are a joke.

[ QUOTE ]
    And last I checked I can run firefox or any browser on a p2-300mhz machine just fine. Same with winamp, email apps, and text editors etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, so why the hell would I buy a 700 dollar (it'll be even more than that after all the other shit you have to buy!) machine, when a piece of shit 300mhz comp does all the things most people need? frown.gif I can pick up a 300mhz comp from a garage sale for 20 bucks, why would someone want to use their PS3 for that? That doesn't help your argument.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sticking with Sony here, the average person wont need to upgrade for a couple years. And after that time, there will be something new anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

The average person doesn't upgrade anyway. The average person ALREADY has a computer that does what they need. So why buy the PS3 for all that other shit, when their comp from 5 or 6 years ago does that stuff just fine?

[ QUOTE ]
    600 bucks for a 2 year computer that plays ps1 ps2 ps3 games, dvd and blue ray, wifi, HDMI/HD out, HD Audio etc... or a 7900 card that will be obsolete in 6 months....hmm... average joe says PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Average Joe is still satisfied with his Xbox/PS2 he got for 150 bucks, on his regular TV, using his regular shitty computer that does all of his regular things just fine.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photo management is simple, upload the photos to a cvs service on the ps3 online system, buy and have them sent to you door or the local cvs in an hour. Printing would be fairly simple too on a networked printer with the right drivers. or sony can offer a printer option. printing is always an option on pc's, same deal here.

Video editing is'nt really average joe, but if you wanted to use the ps3 as network storage, you could. You could also share clips online via some ps3 youtube knock off. You could edit the videos with simple drag and drop and choose a transition. which is what most average people do. Maybe add text, choose a font etc. And with 7 cores, i'm sure it would be faster than a desktop system when finalizing the film output etc, if sony writes the app etc.

HD movies could be streamed. Also the PS3 full version has a 60GB drive. You could save non HD movies fairly easy. But yeah, thats what the bluray is for.

Word Processing and taxes on an HD tv would be fine. I do it all the time. I have my system hooked to my 37inch non-hd tv to run divx and emulated games on it. I send emails etc and it's never been an issue. They just need to make a nice interface with tv ratio-centric fonts. The tax stuff is easy, turbotax online... through the browser.

The browser would probably be the most secure in the market, and only accept official signed plugins. Flash would be simple. Web design, is'nt something an everage joe uses, but a myname.sony.profile.com whatever site could be made availible for blogging and game stats etc. Minor customization is easy, and is already done on the 360 in the way of gamerscore and profile pictures.

porn is just browser based. The only trouble I see is windows media playback lisencing.

And that is all assuming sony provides these tools. If they let you run linux, you can do anything you can with a computer running linux. without all the driver compilation hassle. gimp, vlc player, mozzila, open office, blah blah blah, WINE to play your precious WOW, whatever.

The monitor issue you keep brining up is a matter of DPI, and if you have ever used windows media center or a HTPC you will know it can be compensated for with very readable text and crisp images.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    And why has no one mentioned the monitor? You can barely read shit on a regular TV, so calculate in the cost of an HDTV or a fancy cable/connector for your VGA monitor that they'll probably charge an assload for.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Porn. Hmmm... Could work, I suppose, and those rumble controllers could be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, but there's no rumble in the PS3 controller!
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Downsizer: all that stuff you just mentioned in your post in response to Ryno's proves that you have to go through way too much shit to make it your "replacement" PC. It's simply not worth it.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    downsizer, all your arguments seem to be based off the assumption that the average joe knows how (and cares enough) to do more than hit the big round "on" button. Network printers? Homebrew linux apps? Recompiling programs to run on the cell architecture? Dumb terminals? Most people have a hard enough time figuring out how to get their microphone working. Less than 1% of the target audience will know enough to do most of the things you're using as reasons to buy a ps3.

You're also making a lot of assumptions about ways things "could" be done that (though they're good ideas and would really help the ps3) we all know Sony would never do. Ps3 YouTube knockoff for video sharing? Yah, that sounds really profitable. Sony has already shown us they don't plan on innovating, and will only even steal good ideas if they think it will pay off in the end for them.

I think the wii-360 route will prove to be the best. Blueray wont be enough of a reason for most people, especially since the majority of console gamers probably wont have decent HDTVs for at lease another couple years. The ps3 may have some neat features, but it's lacking in so many other areas. Only the most hardcore gamers will end up using it in the ways you (and sony) suggest. I'm glad we have you here to argue the other side though.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Downsizer, I get your point in that you could do a bunch of that stuff. But my point is that it would be inconvenient.

Casual gaming/entertainment systems are popular because you can sit on the couch with a minimalist control mechanism, and just sit there and be entertained. People can chill out, socialize, and just play in a nice cozy area of the home.

Personally, I'd just hate sitting on the couch with a keyboard and mouse on my lap, looking at a screen that is 10 feet away to do Excel entries. It would drive me batty.

Also, imagine the amount of crap that you have in your office, and pile it all on your coffee table where your PS3/computer replacement will now be located. For me, this would mean... Camera, Flash Cards, USB cable, camcorder, printer, printer paper, photo printer paper, camcorder, firewire cables, mini DV tapes, CDRs, DVDrs, scanner, AV analog/digital converter, CD labels, CD label stamper, wacom tablet, Quicken help books, HTML help books, etc., etc.

Game consoled are for easy entertainment, and are good for the couch. Computers are good for fun stuff too, but also for work, and should remain in the office along with all of the other office stuff.

My wife would divorce me in a heartbeat if I brought all of my crap up and kept it on the coffee table.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, how about I agree it's capable, but also agree that sony wont impliment this stuff right away. My points are that with a little creativity it could be used as an alternative to a purchace of a new PC and still have most of the functionality.

My comments on the speed issue were based off the claim that using a single procesor wont do. When in fact it would do fine. I know very well that the cell compiler tool is garbage, and a 300 mhz system is 20 bucks. But that 300mhx system cant play the games, movies or output HD. I'm comparing the ps3 to a 600$ PC. If the software features were availible, the ps3 is more bang for the buck IMO.

I also like to argue, but I thought I was doing so in a positive light, shying away from the 'i hate sony' bias arguments and listing how much potential it has. I by no means think of it as a replacement for an office computer as you are describing, but as a replacement for casual computer use, such as games, web, and email. Hell, i'm a systems engineer and I dont even have ms office installed on my computer, never have a use for it.

As far as how inconvinient it is, is all up to sony and homebrew. If they integrate these things into the base dashboard/whatever how dificult could it be. They already have a HD camera working as a simple plugin, and I imagine they could do the same with the other items you pointed out. I would also personally rather not have my face against a 17 inch screen straining my eyes when I could just hit the remote switch to teh ps3, grab the wireless keyboard under the chair and go to the web on the larger screen.

Capable, but no I dont think it will happen this early.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha I spent enough time keeping sony out of my computer this year.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    What some people are forgetting is that the Cell isn't a PPC with 7 cores, it's a PPC (downgraded version for embedded systems, roughly 3-10 times slower on unoptimized code compared to the PPC970) with seven additional vector units. That'd be one hell of a port job, you can't just multithread something and throw it at the Cell, those vector processors can't even do their own memory interaction. You'd have to rewrite large parts of Linux to make that work efficiently. Sony can't even write an uninstaller for their rootkit that doesn't fuck the computer up, do you trust them to modify a huge codebase in a nontrivial way while maintaining security? Or do you think Sony will just say "It's opensource, let the users fix it!"?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    They don't want that uninstalled and they didn't write it in the first place. Sony evil.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Nahhh, I'll keep my PC k thanks. Personally I'd just like PCs and consoles to work with each other, such as playing media from my PC, or downloading game content on my PC and adding to console games, and I heard Xbox 360 can do that. I'd like it if they took that approach, rather than trying to replace PCs with features PCs have had for over a decade.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    The 360 does media serving better than most purpose-built media servers, plus plays games.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Even if a ps3 could replace a pc, most people still want a pc. It's much much better to design a console to work WITH a pc, instead of trying to replace it. You can easily rip music and movies on a pc, and even if not everyone is downloading full torrents of movies, they want their music. They want to put the cd in and rip it to their hard drive, they want to download their free music on the internet. They want to be able to listen to a cd without Sony's copyright protection eating their computer alive.

You can be totally sure that Sony is going to try to force you to buy everything possible multimedia wise. They're not trying to usher in Blue-Ray so people can just download movies instead of buying them. They want people to buy cd's too, which is still a good practice but I'm not alone in not wanting to pay for 100% of my music.

I don't even have a Windows Media Center pc, and my regular XP interacts awesomely with my 360. It's absolutely no hassle to stream music from the pc over my network, and if you do have windows media center than you can stream movies too. I don't game very much on my pc anymore, but theres no way I wouldn't want to have all the other things a pc CAN do.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody see this?
    PS3 hardware slow and broken

Mommie! Me gotta booboo!