Home Technical Talk

dark lighting in viewport w/normal?

fritz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
fritz polycounter lvl 18
ola!!! fritz presents his 1,520 question of the day!!!! can someone tell me why the viewport is displaying my object w/normal test so dark? and the render comes out normal(no pun intended? this is just a texture test...so no jokes please. haha.

cheers

example2wu.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I believe that's just Max sucking noisily at real-time normal-map display.

What shader are you using? Normal Bump? I've had problems with that in viewport too, not reacting properly to lights. I never found a fix for it.

I believe Max8 does a lot better in this respect.

You could also try Ben Cloward's normal map DX9 shader, but that's only a viewport preview, so you can't render it.
  • fritz
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    MoP...i could see you comin' round the corner. yes, i am using normal bump. AND i am using max 7. so...i guess i'm not doing anything wrong...which is good to know.

thanks
  • J.I. Styles
    Offline / Send Message
    J.I. Styles polycounter lvl 18
    to eliminate a few obvious ones:
    -make sure you use perspective view
    -are you using the viewport directx preview (the pink checker box)?
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    I assume you did try to move around the light ?
    In order to see if the normal map is interpreted right. (tangent vs object, x/y or whatever channel flipped etc. )
    Depending on the viewportshader you are using it may be reading normalmaps different from the rendered shader.
    Also you have to set a bitmap for the diffuse in most viewportshaders.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    viewport normal mapping is always painfull...ben cloward might be the best suggestion.