Home General Discussion

$224 million on its opening weekend...

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
...is what The Da Vinci Code has made. I thought the movie stuck to the story pretty well, save that last 30 seconds of the movie.

The beginning is a little rushed, but otherwise its spot on. Good flick.

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I went to MI:III last night and the theatre was a flippin zoo. Big ass lines gettin ready for the Da Vinci Code and all.

And it's very good to hear it was good,apparently the critics hate it. But they hate all the good stuff. :P
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it, it was like a tame Indiana Jones movie.
    I never read the book, but my friend who saw it with me, said it was pretty close.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    If it's not an independant film, the critics hate it. Screw them smile.gif

Never read the book, thought the movie was pretty good. From what my g/f has told me about the Langdon character(as in the book), I didn't see Tom Hanks as the proper actor for the role.

Though, I think he did a good job.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    heh, Empire ran a da vinci code article this month littered with quotes from the Last Crusade - a very thinly veiled jab at the clear fact that Dan Brown kept stating throughout that book : "I want Harrison Ford to play the lead character in the inevitable film adaptation".

i wont see the film, i'm simply sick of hearing about the bloody thing. Added to that, I also read Angels and Demons, which naturally means i want to throw dan brown off a cliff onto some horribly sharp rocks.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... I very much enjoyed Angels and Demons, as did everyone else I know... most people seem to like it more than the Da Vinci Code, why the hate Danr?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    dan's hate overflows onto everything laugh.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    oh man, it was ... atrocious. It was like watching your most unbearable desperate-to-be-friends teacher at school telling a series of "hold onto your hats kids" 15-minute stories at the start of each lesson, while reading dialogue direct from a clunkily written text book. I could imagine him stopping at the end of each chapter and going "so what did we have to think about there then?". Ker-rist. Story telling with a shitty shovel.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    this damn thing was like harry potter for adults, everytime i see an adult reading something on the train, its almost always davinci code or angels and demons, both of which i just found horrible. dan brown just isnt a good writer.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Harry Potter has better writing
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I'm not saying anything against those who have said stuff against Brown's writing here, however it's kind of my theory that those who go about preaching how horrible he is tend to be the same people that say that about anything that has become a huge thing in our culture. The reason I say this is that the simple fact is that he cannot be a bad writer. If he was a bad writer the greater majority of the population wouldn't have flocked to his works. Hype only gets you so far, and if something with hype to it isn't good, it flops, hard. His books haven't, this alone is a testament to his writing skills. He is a good writer/story teller. No one or two ways about it. You might dislike his style on a personal level, but this does not mean he isn't good. I read as much books as anyone out there, I'm very picky with my books, both Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci code were very good and fun reads.

On a similar note, J.K. Rowling is also a very talented writer. I've read the full HP series. They are very good books.

With all that being said, neither of the above authors or their books are by any means the best around. That doesn't mean they aren't good though.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    It was decent. I've seen a whole lot of movies that were worse. Didn't feel cheated for the $9. Still haven't read the book.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Agreed, Angels & Demons was a better read than Da Vinci's Code. The movie was created no doubt for DVC's controversay being a big selling point.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The reason I say this is that the simple fact is that he cannot be a bad writer. If he was a bad writer the greater majority of the population wouldn't have flocked to his works. Hype only gets you so far, and if something with hype to it isn't good, it flops, hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Youre kidding right? Hype can get the biggest pile of shit put on a golden throne. Do you really want me to go back and start listing the talentless, God-Awful, piss poor, pop bands that have sold ga-jillions of CDs!?

Back on topic, Im not really interested in the movie, but I might watch it if its on TV sometime. The book was mediocre. The Harry Potter for adults phrase fits it perfectly smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a difference between a person listening to a pop song in the background once or twice for a few minutes and a person taking several hours to read a book. Same thing with games. A game can't survive on hype alone as can some music/movies.

Look at Daikatana. Fable. Etc...

Hype only works if the time required is minimal.

Also, pop tends to sell more for image than music it seems. So yea, britney spears music sucked, but at the time all the guys wanted to bang her and all the girls wanted to be her. She sold. :P
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    heh, you spend more money on a CD then you do when you go to a theatre. And plenty of people listened to that music for hours and hours and hours on end cause everyone had them convinced it was sooo awesome. Its just the same with other forms of media.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but everyone read the davinci code because it was what everyone was reading. you'd see everyone reading it, then they'd be talking about it around the watercooler or something. lots of people who hadnt read a single book in 10 years all of a sudden pick this up and think they are theologists.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem with the Da Vinci code is the writing is very cliche. With everything I had heard I expected the writing to be VERY good, and I felt that the writing was sub-mediocre. Like I said before, I think the story made up for it.

Cliched writing is something only people who have read a decent number (100+) books will catch.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suppose that could be true. Dunno, I read it before it became popular, and was one of the only people that read in my school at the time.

The theologist thing is annoying though.

However, I still don't see any of this making the book any worse. It was still well written. I've read badly written books, and believe me, it wasn't one.

[edit]I'll agree with the above that the writing style is a bit cliche, but not to the level that it's annoying.[/edit]
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    A game can't survive on hype alone as can some music/movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain: Enter the Matrix?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I agree about Da Vinci Code (the novel) being formulaic, but I still think it was well-written and well-paced, and the anagrams were clever. Definitely page turned material. Dan Brown's had three tries at getting the formula right!

Wasn't too disappointed by the movie either, and while most of it was uninspired retelling of the book, the ending is one thing they got right. Audrey Tautou made it a lot more bearable than it could have been.. tongue.gif

I don't like how they dumbed down Aringarosa, though sticking to his character in the book probably would've made the movie even longer than it already was...
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    A game can't survive on hype alone as can some music/movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain: Enter the Matrix?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... it's generally considered a brutal game?
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    Nice movie, worth watching. Beautiful visual elements and some pretty good tension here and there. I don't see this story as something against christanity, but more a thing that is pro art. The Da Vinci Code shows us that there still might be some mistery left in this world, and that art is a more important in life then just entertainment. A thought that made The Da Vinci Code for me a feel good movie. Go see it! smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "However, I still don't see any of this making the book any worse. It was still well written. I've read badly written books, and believe me, it wasn't one."

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? It was probably the worst book I have ever read. The man cannot write. I'm not saying that to be cool. I'm not saying that becuase I hate mainstram. I'm saying that because Dan Brown cannot write.

He took interesting plot elements and barely wove them together into a cohesive prose. I read Digital Fortress by him also - this lacked any interesting background and held brown up for what he is - talentless.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    'Talentless', hahaha.... OK.

Anyway, keep it on track: Have you seen the movie?
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Never read the book, but I saw the movie the other day. From what I can tell, the book was a fluffy action story and anybody who was led to believe otherwise would have been disappointed in it. I'd heard the bad reviews so I went to the movie with no expectations. I found it extremely predictable and the pacing was bad at times, but it had some entertainment value. I don't think I'd pay $11 for it again, but I might rent it for $5.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Suppose that could be true. Dunno, I read it before it became popular, and was one of the only people that read in my school at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably why most people these days have such shocking taste in books. Nobody reads enough to know what a good book is.

Try The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. That's a real book.

Edit: I don't mean to sound like an asshole but it just gets to me when people pass over really good literature because people don't know how to market it.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    My take on so called 'bestsellers':
    If it is still well known in 10 years I might consider reading it, otherwise no thanks.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    'Nobody reads enough to know what a good book is.'

haha
    i love all the elitists who're come out to play!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

haha

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you would think reading is elitist. The situation is like when people say "OMG! Madden is the best game ever"! All that tells me is that that person hasn't played many video games.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    'Nobody reads enough to know what a good book is.'

haha

[/ QUOTE ]

:P
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient, I've read a lot more than Dan Brown. :P

And you don't need to read to know a good story. Although it is a shame more people pass up on reading. frown.gif
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Mister Sentient, I've read a lot more than Dan Brown. :P

And you don't need to read to know a good story. Although it is a shame more people pass up on reading. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries mate smile.gif.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smile.gif Oh, and thanks for the suggestion by the way, I'll look into it. What type of book is it? (Like what section at chapters)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen the movie yet, and I don't really intend to. I've read the book, but oddly enough, I can only judge books and games after a few weeks. As long as I'm busy with them, I have trouble seeing how bad they may be, though there are exceptions.
    This is also the case with the Da Vinci Code. I kept on reading, and actually liked it, but in hindsight, it's probably because I wanted to know the solutions to all the puzzles. It's a nice book while reading, but doesn't leave any lasting impressions, nor did I want to re-read the book... Whereas I re-read Nineteen Eighty-Four the same week I read it the first time.

Brown's not the most horrible writer ever though. I absolutely loathe Tom Clancy.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    :) Oh, and thanks for the suggestion by the way, I'll look into it. What type of book is it? (Like what section at chapters)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's basically a detective story set in 14th century Italy. A Franciscan friar is investigating some strange occurances at a monastery. It's really a great read. Lots of fascinating historical references.

Funnily enough they also made a film of the book starring Sean Connery. Haven't seen it myself but I hear it's good.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I can't remember the name of the movie your talking about but its good.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, TGZ, it's the same name as the book. The Name of the Rose, as Mister Sentient said earlier smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That actually sounds like an interesting book, I'm gonna have to make a trip to the mall soon, hopefully chapters has it on hand. smile.gif

And I might have to check the movie as well. Though that comes after the book. smile.gif

Thanks for telling me about it. smile.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    $224 million opening weekend is pretty amazing. Maybe all the protesting helped to pique a lot of interest.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    The Name of the Rose:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091605/

Good flick if I recall correctly, despite Christian Slater.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Whereas I re-read Nineteen Eighty-Four the same week I read it the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have a look at Fahrenheit 451 then (if you haven't already)... it might be even better (I have to re-read both again to compare directly).
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i reread farenheit 451 the same day i read it, it only took me one day to read it twice is how good it was. also helps it wasn't long at all.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not touching The Name Of The Rose for now, in school we had to perform the play with the entire class and I don't like being reminded of that. Never mind that I probably won't be able to stop thinking of our class furry (he played the friar's sidekick) speaking in a badly imitated french accent when hearing the book's name.

Fahrenheit was a good book but especially in the beginning his loooooong descriptions of everything got on my nerves. Took a lot of time to get used to it.

I think the most annoying writing I've ever encountered was Poe's The Duc d'Omlette where every third word was french and I couldn't even follow the plot. I know it makes you look like high society but I prefer my text in one language.

As for horrible writers, try Robert Ludlum. That's horrible.

Though I'm not a good judge of most english books, often I read the translated version.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm not touching The Name Of The Rose for now, in school we had to perform the play with the entire class and I don't like being reminded of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif I'm baffled how anyone could have produced a movie of the book let alone a play. I just can't see how a movie could ever do the book justice. There is so much in there.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm baffled how anyone could have produced a movie of the book let alone a play. I just can't see how a movie could ever do the book justice. There is so much in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

That goes for almost every movie made from a book that's happened.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    If you like The Name of the Rose, I'd recommend Foucault's Pendulum as well, also by Umberto Eco.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345368754/002-0270041-6460878?v=glance&n=283155

I found it a little more accessible than 'Rose' and enjoyed it more than DaVinci Code. Haven't seen the movie yet but probably will later this week.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Predictably, there's a mediocre Da Vinci Code game for PS2, too - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5007998.stm
  • dnorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dnorth polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like Angels and Demons is already in the works.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14666

Fire up the money making machine!
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you like The Name of the Rose, I'd recommend Foucault's Pendulum as well, also by Umberto Eco.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0345368754/002-0270041-6460878?v=glance&n=283155

I found it a little more accessible than 'Rose' and enjoyed it more than DaVinci Code. Haven't seen the movie yet but probably will later this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Will have a look.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Somehow reading a book is more mentally challenging than watching a TV show?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Correct. A book requires the active participation of the audience at an intellectual level in order to gain the information within, while a t.v. show does now. (ie: To read a book you have to be mentally concentrating enough to read the words and decipher their meaning all on your very own. To watch a t.v. show you barely need any level of concentration. [I know, I do it regularly]). Whether this negates t.v.'s purpose is a different matter, as not every activity a person does needs to be engaging at an intellectual level in order to be justified. In fact, I'd argue that non-engaging activities are very important as it gives an easier way to relax and thus have stress free periods.

(For the music part, the composition required to make a truely great piece of music for a full orchestra is much more intensive than that required for brittany spears. Atleast according to what logic and most musicians I know have told me thus far.)

[ QUOTE ]

I guess I wrote all of this because I hate someone. And it's probably you!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, love me again? frown.gif