Home General Discussion

$224 million on its opening weekend...

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

It's not enough for people to simply LIKE something, they also have to argue that it has some commonly accepted strengths. They have to argue that OTHER people should like it too. You probably get pissed off when others don't share your taste in music.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like you per. and others should as well so that i feel validated in my decision.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    I like Arnold Schwarzenegger films. I also enjoy the pulp fiction Destroyer series of books written by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir. Both of which would raise eyebrows in snooty intellectual circles. I refuse to apologise for liking them but I won't try to paint them as great intellectual works of our time.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i got two chapters into the da vinci code befor sacking it off and waiting for the film, not cos i dont like to read, i just thought 2 1/2 hours was alot less of a waste of my time than a reading the book.

the film is no better, has some "interesting" ideas, but poor(wooden) dialogue and the ending is cheezyfied by hanks boo hoo hooo rant about how he thought god was with him when he fell down a well as a child.

well hanky boy it was me and i was trying to push you under (although i do like BIG) wmmaahajhahah.

anyone read Vernon God Little, now thats a propper good book, lots of swearing, i likee
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Speaking of books to movies. Anybody read Trainspotting the book? While there are elements of the book in the film they are really quite different stories. Still I enjoyed both immensely. A movie based on a book doesn't necessarily need to follow the book religiously. I think this is a common mistake a lot of writers/directors make in book to film adaptions.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i read it years ago, it is quite different if i remeber correctly (had alot of swearing aswell, which was nice).

speaking of films not following the books, i read a few of the 007 books as a kid, and one or two were nothing like the film with the same name, completely different stories.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I'm a firm believer in not having to justify my tastes. There are a great deal of things I like that are unintelligent, poorly written, or just don't have many values except those I assign to them due to my personality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for truth. Good read Per.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice post Per. Yeah, I agree.

Most of the books I read are pure pulp. I find it hard to feel like an intellectual when I am reading a books about a dude in a robot suit ripping the arms off giant ants with his bare hands.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

haha
    i love all the elitists who're come out to play!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you would think reading is elitist. The situation is like when people say "OMG! Madden is the best game ever"! All that tells me is that that person hasn't played many video games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, someone saying "OMG! Madden is the best game ever"! Is simply stating their opinion and in a very vague way. It indicates in no way how many video games they've played because its very possible. Who knows if said person is speaking from a technical, artistic, gameplay, or feature specific standpoint? It's all speculation. So it is your choice to either think positively and give the person the benefit of the doubt or think negatively and just assume that said person is speaking from a standpoint that would easily prove his opinion as being false. Taking the negative route could be viewed as elitist since you would be just assuming that you're the smart guy and the Madden fan doesn't know anything.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude. If you think Madden is the best game ever, than you are a retard. To think myself better than a retard doesn't make me elitist. All it means is I have the smallest degree of self-respect.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and if you're arguing with a retard then what does that make you?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunate I suppose.

Is somebody claiming that Madden is the best game ever? I have reread the last few posts in the thread, and don't see anything like that.
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I just can't comment on the movie since I haven't seen it yet, however I have read the book.

I don't know how that book could translate to the screen and be entertaining instead of plain old interesting without some major changes but i'd like to be proven wrong.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I saw it last night. While Technically it WAS a movie, Artisically it failed on nearly every front. Boring, dull characters going through the motions with no real reason to in the slightest. No sense of danger, no real sense of any emotion at all, and a plot so weak it almost made me cry. I'm glad I saw it for free that's for sure.

While there really wasn't anything downright WRONG with it, there really wasn't anything RIGHT with it either. It was just simply there.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dude. If you think Madden is the best game ever, than you are a retard. To think myself better than a retard doesn't make me elitist. All it means is I have the smallest degree of self-respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably play sports games more than any other videogame genre (well, except maybe FPSs on the PC). ESPN Football (SEGA's NFL2K series) is the most played game on my Xbox, because it's entertaining, challenging and has infinite replay value. I personally hate RPGs like Final Fantasy and its ilk... if I wanted to read a shitty fantasy novel, I'd do just that; I wouldn't play a 40+ hour game with tedious, turn-based, random battles. But that's just me.

To say that anyone who thinks Madden is the best game ever is retarded isn't being elitist, it's just being pathetic. As if anyone cares.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have nothing against sports games, so are you going to call Madden the best game ever or just insult me?

Mop; I know! WTF? It was just an analogy.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What are you talking about Madden for? This thread is about the Da Vinci Code, and vaguely about the values people assign different things, as Per128 already said most efficiently. Shut up already!
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seen it last night and they did a decent job. It was slow but I enjoyed it. I think the ending was done a lot better than the book, didn't feel as dry.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Angels and Demons sucked when he fell out of the helicopter and used the vinyl as a parachute and didn't die.. laugh.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I watched this the other day with my girl

I want my money back

see that bit with the bluetooth wacom when he presses some imaginary button with his finger_?? lol

in all I thought it sucked, I can't really elaborate. Just slow and boring.

I admire Dan Brown for his work, writing a book is a hard thing to do, and formula writing is by far and wide the most popular. Personaly I'd rather read something by Stephen Baxter, and put my mind in the spin-drier.

I think I may have seen too many documentaries and have jaded my view. The film threw no punches. Well here's hoping for the 9/11 film with Nicholas Cage!!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    is this popular anywhere anymore?

good riddance
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yes, it is still popular. to the tune of about half a billion dollars in ticket sales, actually. it reminds me of a friend whose uncle's favorite phrase was "the masses are asses."

and you know what happens when a movie this bad makes that much money? that's right, more studios finance films like it. this is how Big Momma's House 2 got made, and why Big Momma's House 3 is probably on the way. stay classy, theater-going public of the world! laugh.gif