Home General Discussion

Playstation 3 (Sony conference)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Okay, so they unvieled the PS3 controller. It looks exactly the same as the PS2 controller. It's now wireless (bluetooth), and has motion sensor tech, similar to Wii's (sans the laser). Sony has been messing with motion tech for a long time, so don't say they're copying Nintendo, either.

I'm disappointed though, to be honest. I'm watching the guy play Warhawk right now at the conference. It looks retarded, controlling a game like this. Utterly retarded.

Also, pricing.
North America - $499 for 20gb unit and $599 for 60gb unit.

What I saw was underwhelming. Sad sad sad.

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I was actually very impressed. The graphics, animation, and networking stuff all seemed great, and the controller seemed to me to be much nicer than the Wii's. I'll have to wait until I see both, but after seeing the press conference I'm damned impressed.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    US and kaneda nov 17th, for anyone who didnt catch the live feed
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was actually very impressed. The graphics, animation, and networking stuff all seemed great, and the controller seemed to me to be much nicer than the Wii's. I'll have to wait until I see both, but after seeing the press conference I'm damned impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

"WERE PLAYING BACK THIS VIDEO, IN *REALTIME* ON THE PS3!!!"
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The animation was good, no doubt about it.
    The only truly impressive thing I saw was MGS4. Warhawk LOOKS really good, but I don't want to play it if I have to wave my god damn arms around like that. It's stupid.

I guess I was hoping to see more higher quality games.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    the controller demo had me rofl, especially when he landed the craft (barely), but i'm sure they'll smooth the controls out so you don't accidentally knock out the person next to you laugh.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"WERE PLAYING BACK THIS VIDEO, IN *REALTIME* ON THE PS3!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

*confused*

And I think I might've had a large advantage over everyone else watching the conference, judging by responses. I went in with low expectations. (Actually, no expectations. I didn't buy into any of the hype.)

Same will go with the nintendo conference tomorrow
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    http://tehpwnerer.com/gr.jpg

e00t, no double headed anal probe anymore!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    everyone at work was pretty dissapointed to say the least, way too much money, and they didnt really bring anything that impressive to the table, it was pretty much a yawn fest. cept when snake shoots his head off. i cant count how times we said lame in unison. oh the best was that naughty dog game, the art director is the main character, ahahaha, would of much rather play as jak than an art director at a game company, not really action hero material..
    http://www.naughtydog.com/corporate/kennel/bobR/F.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh yeah. That Naughty Dog game looked really damn cool smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's now wireless (bluetooth), and has motion sensor tech, similar to Wii's (sans the laser). Sony has been messing with motion tech for a long time, so don't say they're copying Nintendo, either.

[/ QUOTE ]The fact that its obviously a last minute feature that they've only managed to jerry-rig the one game to use suggests that it is an attempt to steal some of Wii's thunder. The nunchaku has far more than just a mercury switch though so I can't see this being much of a worry to Nintendo's crew.

Overall a rather disappointing display, although I said that about the 360 and still wound up buying one on release day.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sony has been messing with motion tech for a long time, so don't say they're copying Nintendo, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like how Nintendo came out with an analog thumb-stick, and shortly there after Sony just happened to come out with the dual analog controller? And then when Nintendo introduced the rumble pack, Sony just happened to add a rumble feature to the dual analog contoller (naming it the 'dual shock' controller)? Or when Sega came up with the VMU, and Sony just happened to release the "PocketStation" immediately after that?

But even if they did really rip off Nintendo, I wouldn't criticize them for it. After Nintendo first unvieled their new controller, I thought it would be a good idea to add the motion tech to a more traditional controller, and that's exactly what Sony has decided to do. It's not like I expect Sony to avoid any new tech just because they weren't the first to introduce it laugh.gif.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, really it doesn't matter which company did it first. They can get the credit for it and be happy with that.

What does matter who does it better.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    lol @ Josh's anti-exercise attitude! :P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umm, ok Adam.

Exercise is excerise. When I sit down to play a video game, I'd like to relax, not gamer-cise. They're two differant things.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    but need they be? most old fashioned arcade games had players standing, so you could think of it as returning to some of that feeling, not an intrusion of something different and new. playing games like Guitar Hero, which also requires you to stand up (only lamers rock sitting down), i'm actually pretty happy to see gaming diversify as an activity. it's not like sitting on the couch or at your computer staring like a zombie is ever going to go away... but you have to admit it has limited appeal for attracting new audiences.

anyhow, in regards to the sony press conference: they're going to have to really sweeten the pot before launch to make them relevant this generation. as it stands now, not very appealing with that price tag.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some games, yeah I'll admit it would be nice. But I'm afraid that they will try to stick that 'feature' forefully, into most games. Games that do not need it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    so don't play them. and don't hurt yourself masturbating.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Even if I wanted to buy it, how?
    I was telling my wife last night they would sell it for $499-599. Why? Because it is slightly more than an iPod, so they know their target market can buy it.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure that the exercise that you'd get from standing up or flapping your arms around with the controller would be extremely minimal. Or for that matter standing up at the arcade.

[edit]Oh, and for the price, it's steep, yea, but Sony will lose a projected 400 dollars per PS3 unit sold in the first year due to the production costs. Their projected loss next year is 870 million last I heard. PS3 is the most powerful system around, so the steep price is somewhat inevitable.[/edit]
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I watched it online.

Metal Gear was impressive. Most everything else was merely alright; The Naughty Dog game looked great, though.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the projected loss per unit is total Sony bullshit.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm hearing that the cheap PS3 won't have support for Hi-Def, Memory slots or WiFi... anyone read this?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh? Have you seen the price of Blu-Ray players? They're around $900. That's JUST for the player. Tac on everything else, and I don't see how that price loss is 'bullshit'.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12540

Here is an article, obviously based off a Sony press release. What's it missing? How about any mention of PS2 or PSP sales. You can't make an article about losses without mentioning revenue because revenue - costs = profit(or loss). Since it doesn't mention this obvious thing, the point of the article seems to be to promote the idea that the PS3 costs more to produce than it really does.

Who do you think makes the Blu Ray player that goes in the PS3? I would bet good money that it is not Sony's game division, but rather their parent organization. This leads to the standard accounting practice of selling things to yourself and counting it as an expense. The kicker is that since the Blu Ray players aren't on the market, Sony can set the price as high as they want when selling this stuff to themselves.

Why are Blu Ray players going to cost $900? Prices are set based on what they think people will pay, not how much it costs them to produce something. Dropping prices over time is standard practice for maximizing profit.

I have read a lot about the Blu Ray player, and everyone is saying "the price will come down with economies of scale". This makes no sense when you consider that Sony is producing PS3s at maximum capacity. They can't get any extra economies of scale. what that says to me is that they are spilling bullshit so that they have an excuse when they drop the price in 6 months.

That's what I think, but hey, what do I know.

[edit] I did reread that article and they do mention the steep decline in PS2 and PSP sales, but go on to say how the loss is because of the PS3.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    "Sony has been messing with motion tech for a long time, so don't say they're copying Nintendo, either."

They also went and called the Wii remote a gimmick, saying that Sony didn't need to pursue gimmicks and were focused on advancing the tried and true gameplay that we all know and love.

Geez, come on, of course they ripped off Nintendo. They went straight from the Boomerang to the WiiShock.

The day after the rev controller was revealed I said that the PS4 and Xbox3 were guaranteed to have motion sensing controllers. Sony decided to prove me wrong by ripping off Nintendo even sooner than I expected. I'm half expecting a new Xbox 360 controller to show up pretty soon. At this point Microsoft would be stupid not to.

Hey, anyone remember Sony talking about how players didn't need a unified online service like Xbox Live? How it was completely unnecessary and everything? Coming out with a unified online service after saying something that would be really silly, wouldn't it?

Sony has always been and will always be full of bullshit. Their marketing strategy is to insult every new feature of every other console while simultaneously copying each one for their own use. Sony just loves motion sensing now. It's not a gimmick at all, right Sony? Motion sensing is the future of gaming, isn't it Sony?

Sadly, Sony's so far ahead in the console wars that no amount of bs is ever going to hurt them in the slightest. They know that, that's why they do it so much. In the end they do have the most powerful system and best game lineup.

Doesn't stop me from thinking they're a bunch of scumbags though.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    It's pretty disipointing, but time will tell. Way to start E3 off on a sour note...and way to send Nintendo out in front Sony without them even speaking.
  • Joseph Silverman
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As much so as every other successful corporation in history.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    *yawn*
    I watched the live feed at work. And I literally fell asleep somewhere around the 1 hour mark. I couldn't be less impressed. But then again I am super-duper jaded.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    As much so as every other successful corporation in history.

[/ QUOTE ]
    In terms of the entertainment market, no. Sony manages to annoy me more than most.

Oh, here's another wonderful Sony innovation I forgot to mention. A big, round button in the middle of the controller. Gee, I wonder what that's going to be for.

And hey, I seem to remember Sony blasting Microsoft for putting out the "retard package" version of the 360. Turns out the "cheap" PS3 package is gimped like crazy as well. Take a look at this:

499.99 version:
    - No built-in Wi-fi
    - No HDMI port
    - No Memory Stick slot
    - No SD card slot
    - No Compact Flash slot
    - 20GB hard drive

That's one "innovation" they certainly didn't need to copy.

I've heard the details on the motion sensing now and it's complete pants compared to Wii. Can't detect position relative to the screen and can't be used light-gun style. No swordfighting, no throwing footballs, no fishing or whatnot.

Sony just killed all enthusiasm I had for the console. Doesn't change the games that interested me (damn you Kojima and your painfully good trailers) but the console itself has no draw for me at all anymore.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    So, tilt technology in a standard controller? Microsoft Freestyle Pro anyone? That thing sucked...

Remember how Nintendo was so reluctant to show the controller because they were afraid it would be stolen and people kept calling them paranoid?

Sadly, Sony's so far ahead in the console wars that no amount of bs is ever going to hurt them in the slightest. They know that, that's why they do it so much. In the end they do have the most powerful system and best game lineup.

We used to say the same about Nintendo during the SNES era.

I've heard the details on the motion sensing now and it's complete pants compared to Wii.

That's Sony. It would surprise me if something they did WASN'T half assed.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    why do i have the feeling that wii will be the only to suceed ?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the only reason the ps2 sold in such high numbers was the shortage of normal dvd players in japan. once that massive userbase was installed, they sold games.

sony have always ripped off nintendo to such an extent that the playstation it's self is actually a brainchild of both nintendo and sony. Only sony pulled out of the r&d with nintendo to release it alone.

I really don't see the facination with the playstation brand. Nintendo dug their own grave when they abandoned Sony´s Project.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Consoles are bought for the games and Sony has the best games.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Toomas.

the Ps2 was bought in Japan because it was a cheap dvd player. NOT because of the games.
  • Rick Stirling
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    meh was hoping it would be cheaper.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't want to use the controller light-gun style. You have to make sure that you're always pointing at the IR device, which can be pain sometimes.
    I agree that the simple gyroscrope type motion sensor is shitty, though.
    And here's a kicker for you Nintendophiles. Remember the Atari 2600? There was a motion-sensing 'wand' controller released for that, called LeStick . Microsoft and Logitech also released moition sensing controllers for the PC back in 1999.
    Nintendo did what every other company does - stood on the shoulders of others, and added to what has already been done. Not to say that it doesn't have it's applications. I'm just saying it's not as 'revolutionary' as you guys defend it to be.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Hate to say I told you so on that price but yeah.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150521

I also agree with Johny, the Wii is probably the only console that is going to turn a profit. The 360 is pretty much dead in the water and offers very little that is'nt ported to PC.

600 bucks is entirely too much for a console, but they do have some amazing looking games. I hope they make up hardware sale loss in game profit.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There have been tons of successful corporation in history that haven't been run by complete scumbags. Ford and Hershey's spring to mind.

Sony said the prices from that French thing were a "mistranslation". LIARS! It would be a fucking miracle if Sony said something that WASN't complete bullshit.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True that.
    It still comes down to the games, though. The PS2 had better games than any other system this past generation, hands down.
    I'd like to see the games that are on the market around spring of next year. Should be a good judging time.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And hey, I seem to remember Sony blasting Microsoft for putting out the "retard package" version of the 360. Turns out the "cheap" PS3 package is gimped like crazy as well. Take a look at this:

499.99 version:
    - No built-in Wi-fi
    - No HDMI port
    - No Memory Stick slot
    - No SD card slot
    - No Compact Flash slot
    - 20GB hard drive

That's one "innovation" they certainly didn't need to copy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute... so there are actual physical differences between the two versions? So you can't buy the peripherals separately to upgrade to the 599 version? That is beyond lame.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    its basically a PC...
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has USB 2.0 Those features could be added. HDMI is only in 2% of all tv's out there, and can be added with an external dongle i'm sure. The PS2 has a universal AV port so you could use several different cables.

I mean.. wtf would I do with a compact flash slot? Watch pictures I guess, transfer saves? I can buy a USB multi card reader for 10 bucks. Last I checked WIFI is slower than cabled and as my comcast internet is at 7mbits, 8.011g wont cut it for me.

So yeah. I can see why they did it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Sony borked the hardware, with multiple sku's.
    They should have just released the system with no hard drive at $499, and allowed you to upgrade.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But all the games will use the hard drive.... so they could't do that at this time. I'm sure it has to do with that DRM-ish thing they plan to do with the games.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh geez. I didn't see that the 499 flavor didn't include HDMI. You know what that means? NO Blu-Ray Movies for You! I can see the complaints now of the people buying movies and them not working. That right there is complete nonsense!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I wouldn't say that. BluRay movies should work with component, right? I just don't think that you'll be able to watch them in 1080p. Maybe 1080i.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a very heated debate about Blu-Ray. Component is disabled since it isn't a "secure" connection and can therefore be a way to pirate movies. I'm not certain of all the details, but as I understand it, if you aren't using HDMI, then the signal is downgraded to like a 480p resolution. But even so - all the dedicated Blu-Ray players have HDMI out and so the problem lies with the 3+ million installed TVs and A/V recievers which don't have HDMI connections. Taking HDMI directly out of the PS3 automatically removes HD movie watching without it being downsampled.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    HDCP. Doesn't work over component. Sony said they'll not force you to have HDCP for hi def BRD playback (for their movies, not their hardware) but how long that will remain true and who else is doing the same is still unknown.