Home General Discussion

V for Vendetta.......M for Masterpiece

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The American colonies had food shortages and starvation? I don't know that I ever heard Thomas Jefferson had trouble putting food on the table at Monticello prior to the Revolutionary War. Where'd your sister get her diploma from?

[/ QUOTE ]

My quote was not linked directly to what she said. She was speaking on a historical basis, and I could have misinterpreted what she said as the finality. However, she did mention the food distribution as one of the main instigations needed.

From that viewpoint then yes, the American Revolution would fall under it partially with the taxation to such a degree for food stuffs home grown.

You watch the condescending tone about my sister ok? She know alot more than either of us (yes even you Mr. University Verm) on the subject.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    oXY, don't get uptight. The smiley was there for a reason.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Smileys can mean many things. Some people smile when they are in fact angry. So, I apologize. But Im proud of my sisters accomplishments.

Especially given she has dyslexia.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Very quiet ride home, normaly we take a movie apart on the way back but not this time. I liked it but he seemed moved, which is pretty rare.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Not to hit a sorespot but I don't think that revolution can only happen because of the final push of starvation, I think you must be misreading her.

Unlike her or Verm, I've not been to college but I do read a bit now and then and insurrections / revolutions are based purely on people having been pushed too far or been degraded for too long and I think that trend is still viewable in minature whenever one of us quits a job in the games industry because of artistic differences!

I've been reading http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0859765199/026-3263350-9867633 lately and its another example of armed uprisings and the move for revolution that is not borne out of the reasons of starvation.

Also, judging by the debate about Pro / Anti terrorism generated by the movie, I'm pretty glad I haven't gone to see it. It was a story about anarchy and the need for the individual to have individual freedom and passion rather than sacrifice that for the ideals of fascism.

The book has little relation to 1984 other than the loss of hope and a decaying orwellian dystopian world. The thing that put me off the most about the trailers was that
    the sad little insular and fearful man that was looking to build walls around his emotions had to be blown up into
    some hitler stereotype in order to communicate to the american market that 'terrorism' is sometimes necessary despite american's own beginnings as 'freedom fighters'.

It's been good to read this thread though as I was half and half previously, what with Alan Moore condeming it, I had to consider he had personal reasons, but hearing what the pros and cons of it are from most of you in here has saved me some dollars smile.gif

r.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I just got back from watching Syriana and have to say that it covers a lot of the same ground as V for Vendetta, but does it better. It has terrorists, corruption, idealistic folks trying to take over the government. I would give it at least a 9/10.

I may be biased though since my folks live in Saudi and I have grown up on the oil patch my entire life.

[edit]

I just read a bunch of viewer reviews for this movie. It seems that the majority of folks found it "boring" or "confusing". I'm sure these folks feel the same way about books with no pictures. I didn't want to suggest for people to see a movie they wouldn't enjoy. Be warned.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it. I read the history of guy fawkes, and the discussion with the author before watching it. I understand the movie isn't the book.

What the movie is, is smart. The movie is popular, and a great portion of the average american population will see it. If you read the book, no need to watch the movie. The average american will not read the book. They need the quick colorful action-packed simple version that criticizes the current administration and questions the meaning of terrorist. I was hoping to see people walking out shaking their heads during the lesbian scenes, so I could laugh. It is an American film. So I understand why the author is upset.

My second favorite quote from the film.

V: The building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by their people. By itself, a symbol is meaningless, but with enough people, blowing up a building can change the world.
    Evey: I wish I could believe that. But every time I've seen this world change, it's always been for the worse.

My favorite was his introduction. laugh.gif
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I finally saw this yesterday, and have to say it is one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time.

A couple of scenes had me shaking with emotion.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    i did'nt like it. never answered anything, felt like it skipped around too much. the dialogue was pleasant though. i gotta say, my girl is in love with the movie, but never gives any other reason other than having a crush on V. which i'll never understand, and is quite disheartening in fact.

it felt like a comic book trying to have more depth than it really had. i got nothing emotional out of it at all. i was'nt attached to any character, i never felt sorry or worried or suspensefull.

take this post with downsizers official gain of salt. i'm generally dissapointed with 95% of the crap out there. which means average joe would love it.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    downsizer if you ever liked anything i would be so surprised that incidentally my brain would freeze lol... its funny, one of my friends also said the exact same thing as you...

anyway...i watched it and loved...simply amazing...

*goes and puts V mask but suffocates accidentaly*
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I like Pho Soup, Saga Frontier, Ocean City MD, and Spaceballs.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    And that's all.