http://www.sinepisodes.com/

Datz rite! Game coming out May 9th, preorder now! smile.gif

Replies

• b1ll
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Waitwaitwait... I don't follow games like I used to, but is this a direct sequel to the FPS that came out back in like 1998? The game with the cool but astoundingly buggy demo? Well, not that the buggy demo thing narrows it down...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Pre-loaded and ready to go, SIR!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Ooooh I like how it comes in episodes, maybe I missed it, but how often is it planned to release each episode?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.sinepisodes.com/gallery.php/ep1/screens/1/thumbs/19.jpg

L O L WHAT IS THAT

[/ QUOTE ]

The abominable turd man. laugh.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    afaik episodes are planned for release approximately every 6 months. There's alot of really cool things we have planned, but i don't think i'm allowed to talk about that yet.

Yes this is by the same company that made SiN, and yes its the same universe, only... better smile.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    omg! pig-tails! must have!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.sinepisodes.com/media/ep1/screens/23.jpg

Awesome forklift, mr_Rockstar! Are they gonna let you do characters once you finish modelling those crates? smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, that forklift was actually modeled and textured by my roommate, now that you mention it, it is pretty kickass... smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    uim pre-ordering R* The first SiN ruled. I can't wait to see how you guys did with this one.

*thumbs*

-R
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    At Bill, hahahahah. Awesome.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Bought and downloading. Better be good. I know where you post Rockstar!
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    nm answered my own damned question. considering HL 2 was only 6 hours of gameplay for me, this aint a bad price.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Do I have to install STEAM to play this game?
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Sweet. I'm a big SiN fan and will be buying this puppy.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes you need steam to play this, in that respect its just like HL2, the good thing about that is that steam makes it really easy to patch up the game so u always have the latest working version. The game is also going to be available in retail, BUT I highly recommend to download it smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    the good thing about that is that steam makes it really easy to patch up the game so u always have the latest working version

The bad thing is that if the latest version has a bug that causes problems for you (hardware incompatibility?) you can't revert to a version that works for you.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steam: Updating hammer editor, load hammer, crash. Enjoy the forced updates!
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    hey, this is a victory thread guys. Vent about steam some other time.

-R
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Game looks cool. I saw the little article in Wired! Way to go guys.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Question about Steam, if I were to reformat, would logging in under my steam name allow me to re-download it or would it be somewhere on my hard drive I could move the install files?
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    yes you need steam to play this, in that respect its just like HL2,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks a lot for the info.

[ QUOTE ]
    the good thing about that is that steam makes it really easy to patch up the game so u always have the latest working version. The game is also going to be available in retail, BUT I highly recommend to download it smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    The bad thing about that is that STEAM screws up my system. After messing with it when I bought HL2 I decided not to ever let that software on my machine again.
    As long as it is connected to STEAM I'll not be able to play SIN E1 - and that's a pity because I was looking forward to it as I really loved the original SIN... frown.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're genuinely interested in the game you should give it another shot. They've worked on Steam a ton since the HL2 launch.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg, yeah. in fact it's faster for me to download it then to use the cd's.

steam was terrible when it was released, but having gone back to it for darwinia, i have to say it's much easier to use and much much more stable then it was. you should give it a shot.

all of the games have an offline mode, disable your nic, and the game will prompt you if you want to run in offline mode. at least thats how hl2 worked.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    steam was terrible when it was released

[/ QUOTE ]

And its still, needed to kill it yesterday before my system looks up. And today its patched the stuff but now i get "The game is currently unaviable""Plaese try again another time" yeah sure..... no thanks no more steam stuff for me. And this thing with "Episodes" creaps me out too, still SIN looks good but err no thanks...
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as far as i know, no episodic game has ever worked. i remember they tried this on ps2 with a few titles. HL2 and it's sequal are only episodic in the sense they are being released through the same mechanism.

The biggest hurdle is keeping the player interested enough to buy the next episode. which means ritual should be hoping the story is amazing, and adding new gamplay features in the episodes in addition to art content.

i would like to see something where the player actions affect the story. like, track what choices i make on teh first play through, similar to a poll, and base the next story on what the majority action taken was.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downsizer: yes thats actually exactly like one of the things we're planning on doing, tracking the player choices and stats and actually altering the story based on how people are playing the game.

I've never had any problems with steam, nobody here in the office has had any problems with steam, theres over 3 mil regular users on steam that don't have any problems, if its that bad find a solution online or let the developers know. Like pak mentioned before this isn't a thread about steam, its a thread about sin episodes.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I should've specified, if I reformat and reinstall Steam, with my username and password can I re-download SiN? Or is there a set up file on my computer I can store elsewhere? I'm definitely thinking Steam is the way to go I'm just concerned with how to back it up.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah its all on steam and based on ur account, u can redownload anything you own.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read a review on it from an overly optimistic brit. He mentioned how many wepons were in the game, and it's... quite low... 3 was quoted. Do they have alt-fire?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah all weapons have alt fires and melee attacks and there also grenades alot of other items in the game you can use, as well as environments for combat purposes.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to grab the game, but the question is will it be available only from steam download or can I go out and get a cd copy from EB? And if I preload the game does that save install time if I buy the cd version?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    why would you preload on steam and then buy the CD? it's cheaper on steam, and you can never lose your copy of the game...

anyhow, i just preloaded and prepurchased this. looking forward to it.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    What the hell? Pre-ordered and pre-loaded and the bosses are at E3 but it's showing up as unreleased in Steam still. I was hoping to get some quality screw-off time in with this today.

[edit]
    Dang it, just needed to restart Steam tongue.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    060503_e3_01.jpg

D R O O L ...

..the game looks cool too!
    those chicks are so yummy i hardly noticed how retarded the gun looks. tongue.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I was about to buy it on steam yesterday ( preorder) I'm in need of cool sp fps these days, so I think it will be my evening program smile.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    What I played so far is fun and looks good, I just hope that the gameplay is more than a couple of hours.

I thought it was suppose to come with MP though icon_question.gif
  • Seyiji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyiji polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    What I played so far is fun and looks good, I just hope that the gameplay is more than a couple of hours.

I thought it was suppose to come with MP though icon_question.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Multiplayer is included in the form of Sin 1 Multiplayer mode
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    love the red-head in that pic KP, just the pvc lady's boobs almost look fake in that photo
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neat, that is the most professional cos play I have seen. Just found out we will get the game in the company store as it and episode 1 are distributed by EA so I can use my points and get them both for free.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Been beatin my way through the game... definitely some awesome gameplay so far, and the gun battles get pretty freakin intense at times. the save/load's quick, which is good (hehehe).. feels like i'm playin the original Max Payne again: brace myself for a heavy gunfight... plan out my attack... go in guns-a-blazin.... if i survive and i'm happy with the outcome (health / ammo wise), i quick save and move on... if not... quick load and try again.

As for the three weapons (handgun, shotgun, machine gun), each one has a primary fire, a zoomed mode, and a special-shot alt-fire which you pick up special ammo for (examples: rail gun shot for handgun, flak ricochet shot for shotgun, nade launcher for machine gun). The three of them are more than enough for the combat, and you'll be quickly switching mid-battle between the three on a regular basis to take care of the baddies.

Some of the environments are a tad clunky in the sense that it's obvious they didn't test the multiple routes a player may take well enough; more than a few times I've had to quick load cause I'll get stuck on a crate that's tipped slightly over, or spend a good minute or two navigating dark watery passages.

I'm hopin where i'm at isn't too close to the end, but I wouldn't be suprised if I was. Ah well, if it is, HL2:EP1 will be out soon! smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with this game. The art at first I felt was hoaky, but it grew on my quickly and now is really refreshing to play. The environments are sweet and pretty well thoughtout for good gameplay and the enemies are SO fun to kill - especially the dudes with jet packs! The shot gun is my favourite weapon overall, and I had the most kills with it.

The stat tracking for the game is a FANTASTIC idea and I checked it regularily. I want to go in to work just so I can play through it again and try and do a better job.

Oh, and this game had me LOL'ing quite a few times. "Pipes, the new crate!" and "When in doubt, use a crate." those signs were hilarious. Also, the huge lift near the end of the game where you meet up with the main bad MALE character (with the goatee), there's the crane in there... the sign on the crane "LIFTENSHIET" or whatever it said, hahaha. I love it!

Oh! And the reference to the Simpson's early in the game was awesome, but I won't spoil that.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I predownloaded but cant play it now since my computers at my studio.. Boo hoo. Oh well.. maybe in six months..
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Just beat it..my thoughts..

Loved the way the object interacted with the environment. Loved being able to shoot the canisters and have gas come out, ya know, stuff like that..but hell, that is what the source engine is for..and they put it to good use.

The sound in the game was top notch, everything from the screaming to hitting the wall with your gun sounded great.

The game was much longer then I thought it would be, so that was a plesent supprise. Only downside was that much of the material seemed to be re-used over and over again. It seemed like you went into one room and there were 2 machine gun guys, then the next had 4, then 6, and so on and so forth.

Lack of guns sucked too, only three guns the entire game...that kinda sucked..but damn the reload animation for the pistol was sweet.

The levels were done well too.

Overall I would give it about an 8 1/2 outa 10. I felt at the begning it was great, but it got a little bit boring about 3/4 of the way through. More guns woulda rocked.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I thought the 3 guns were perfect.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont understand why you would'nt just opt to use the base movement code for HL2. Sin movement makes me feel like i'm skating on ice, and I had to mess with mouse sensitivity to get it to not jump past targets. Jumping is very strange as well. I'm noticing a lack of shadows as well. Sorry guys. I'm going to give this a 5 of 10. The character art is great, but the environments are very bland and felt empty.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Are you sure they didn't reuse that code and just tweaked the friction, speed, inertia, etc values?
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Must you always post after me. It's like the bajillionth time. I turned off mouse smoothing, and it helped, but there is no sensitivity per axis settings, and i still have trouble aiming normally. It's like the speed of the mouse designates sensitivity also. When trying to make well aimed shots, the cross hair moves at half what i would expect when normally walking around.

I've also been stuck twice, and glitched a flying hydrant/air canister to hover in mid air and not explode. Hehe.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    kdr has a script that alerts him whenver you post.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just finished it. Just like the original, I couldn't stop playing it. AWESOME job, Ritual. The level design, enemy ai, characters. . . all just tons of fun. I can't wait for the next one.