Home General Discussion

Real World Job

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
Hi guys,

I know that some of you are working in the game industry, but I would just like to know what some of the other non-godly folk are doing. (and if you are one of the godly folk, where do you work.) Perhaps a post like this has been started before, but I couldnt find it.

Ill start i suppose.

I work (well, if you could call it work) as a Traniee pilot for the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) and expect to graduate in Decemeber. Why I say expect is because it is a fucking hard course, and you can never be too sure. I have had some good mates scrubbed from the course because they were not up to scratch. After I graduate (fingers crossed) I get posted to an active squadron and hope to fly the F/A-18 fighter jet. Oops, forgot to say what I fly now. For training we use the Pilatus PC-9A, which is a dual seater and a blast to fly. Well that is my little speil, and here is a picture of me about to take off.
meinside.jpg

I look foward to seeing what other polycounters do laugh.gif

Replies

• LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I really envy you man! Good luck with with your job. I do some contract work and study law beside that.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'm a lion tamer
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, Smirnoffka. If you make it then I vote you have the coolest job of anyone here.

I'm not in the game industry. I'm a graphic artist at a small screenprinting shop. We mostly make t-shirts for high school sports. I hate my job. I also do some freelance work on the side. Nothing glamorous.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Smirnoffka: I'll go ahead and say your job has much more bragging rights than any game artist. That's really cool. Good luck to ya.

And game artists are in no way god-like. They're more like sheep. Baaaaah!!!

I start working as Quality Assurance tomorrow at Funcom Inc. It'll pay the rent and give me time to work on the folio some mo'.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe, its not that great, just a job. Sometimes i wish i was a game artist, its great fun, and it you fuck up bad, you dont die. Unlike in my chosen profession. :S
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, at least when you screw up, you actually have an "Eject" button to press! laugh.gif
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I'm slightly colourblind otherwise I'd be in training to fly CF-18s and my gf got bumped out for stupid reasons which I can't all recall.

frown.gif

Canadian jets are derelict death traps anyway.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm slightly colourblind otherwise I'd be in training to fly CF-18s and my gf got bumped out for stupid reasons which I can't all recall.

frown.gif

Canadian jets are derelict death traps anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a bummer. I really feel for you, my best mate got bumped back for the same reason. However, he went to America and somehow got in. Goes to show how much Americans care about their aircraft. In fact, their National Guard (Air Force Reserve) Has more planes than Australia's and New Zealands air forces put together. So if you really want it bad, go to america, if you could stand living there.

I couldnt.

:P
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I am currently finishing my studies and than I actually plan to go into the field of international disasterprevention and rescue. You know the guys that jump into a airplain when something really bad happens and then save the woman and children laugh.gif
    Well actually I plan to focus more on drinkwater supply and others similar stuff where I can actually use my (soon to have) Master of Biology.
    Not sure if it works out that way, but as I am doing the same (on a mostly national level) as a volunteer already, the chances are not bad I guess.

The alternative would probably be to make my PhD, but I am really sick of university! But the regular jobs for biologists basicly require to have a PhD, so I have to look for alternatives as the one described above.

Not as cool as a fighter jet pilot, but at least I am morally better of, as I save people instead of shooting at them tongue.gif (Or maybe even save the ones you are shooting at laugh.gif )
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    im a lumberjack and im ok.

lucky guy...piloting jets wink.gif
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Lately I've made some money in freelance illustration and a bit of storyboarding, but I'm still in school for one more semester so I'm not sure any of that counts as an actual work tongue.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I do graphic design and flash work for a small media production company, it pays the bills and allows me some free time to work on portifolio work, so I can't complain.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I work 40hrs in three days at Walmart as an Overnight Reciever/ Unloader because my bosses doesn't know how to tie their shoes or do their jobs. wink.gif I got lucky in that I only have to be there three days. I also do freelance work for a indie game company in Singapore on my days off and can't wait to land a full time job in the industry.

Alex
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm. It seems like this thread was constructed more to brag about what the OP does than to find out what other posters do. Then again, I'm a particularly suspicious sort of person.

I work in signal intelligence and cryptography for the FBI.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I think Hawken beat you to your suspicion Verm, only he was much more subtle about it smile.gif

Besides, working in the videogame bizz gets you way more chicks than being a fighter pilot. You cant beat 'em off with a shitty stick.

Seriously though, good luck with the training man. If it's anything like RAF fighter training, the fail rate is I'm sure pretty high. You should probably be studying some books on aerodynamics or something instead of hanging around this silly ol' board tongue.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Besides, working in the videogame bizz gets you way more chicks than being a fighter pilot. You cant beat 'em off with a shitty stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right Daz, we all know metal fabrication is what gets'em wet smile.gif

www.tomet.net
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm. It seems like this thread was constructed more to brag about what the OP does than to find out what other posters do. Then again, I'm a particularly suspicious sort of person.

I work in signal intelligence and cryptography for the FBI.

[/ QUOTE ]

True in more ways than one. Hehe, nah just kidding its not all its crack up to be. We DO NOT get chicks (I wish we did) and we are really just a bunch of geeks that played flight sim too much. In our spare time we give HALO 2 a good bashin' on our 4 linked xboxs. Like i said, nerds. Nerds with guns. Sorry if it sounded like a brag, I just wanted to not be hypocritcal and not tell you what I do. Plus, i really like that photo, on account that you cant see my face.

Cryptography sounds interesting. Working in the FBI defiantly pulls the chicks more than a trainee pilot in the RAAF. You can work the whole "strong and silent" thing. Chicks love that shit!

And Hawken, good luck with the taming. I always wanted to be a lion tamer.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Working with the FBI does'nt get you chicks, maybe as a contractor or something. If you are an agent you can't even reveal your work. I had an offer for telecommunications agent once, but that was CIA. You don't even want to know the pre-requisits for that. Even the interview meeting had pre-requisists you had to meet, and i'm not talking job experience. I'm talking psycological evaluations and polygraphs.

I'm currently a Computer Systems Engineer on various DOD contracts. I want out, a normal life in the midwest and a family.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was lying. I makes teh computar art like most of the folks here. But if you ask nicely, I will show you my Glock...

You know what gets chicks?
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes Vermilion. More than anything in the world.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you want to share with the class? smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    You know what gets chicks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chlorophorm.

(just kidding, the opportunity was too ripe)
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, i thought you were asking if i wanted to know what gets chicks. I don't really know.

Chlorophorm would work, till she woke up.