Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New website!

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
http://www.greveson.co.uk

Check it out! Some new stuff up on there you may not have seen. smile.gif

If anyone comes across any bugs, please let me know. I've tested it on Firefox and Internet Explorer, everything seems to be in order. It consists entirely of 100% validated XHTML 1.1 with PHP (thanks to my brother), and running off a validated CSS sheet.

Now that it's all there, I just have to work on making new improved content to fill it all up.

One sticking point right now is that although everyone seems to love the Victorian rocket-skates guy, he's nearly 2 years old now and really showing his age. The mesh and textures are nowhere near my current standard, so I'm thinking I should re-build him in high-poly and make a normal-mapped character out of him using up-to-date skills and technology. Yea or nay?

Also, if anyone has an 88x31 link image, you can find mine here, drop me an email, we'll do a link swap and I'll add you to my links page!

I'd say "update your bookmarks!", but I doubt if anyone has my old site bookmarked anyway smile.gif

Dig in!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just so this thread isn't image-free, here's a Warforged gearset I modelled and textured for Dungeons & Dragons Online, working under Liquid Development.

ddo_01.jpg
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Very Cool! I like the site layout, visually pleasing and easy to get around. Excellent work on there too... As far as the classy skater punk, I really like him as is. If you really feel like redoing him, I think it be very cool and fun to show a comparison shot on your site.

good things
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    I hate coinsidences(I can't spell either).
    I was checking through the 128 thread for inspiration a few minutes before your post,saw your head modeling tutorial and checked your site to see if it was downloadable there.

"Nothing to see here. Move along."
    One point of criticism: keep your old stuff around your site.Maybe not part of the bandwidth,but just around so people can see how you've progressed over the years.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, MoP. I'll keep an eye out for it as I'm playing DDO. wink.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice layout and design. Super simple to navigate. I give it the poop stamp of approval! 8-)

poop.gif
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Nice paul looks just like the old one ¬_¬

On the Rocket Skates note...

Keep it. It's a complete model and whilst the work rocks on there, the number of finished works isn't sky high (a hand?! wink.gif).

PS didn't tully skin Tarsier?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the response so far guys.

CMB: While that would be a good idea for filling it out with content, I've heard from several well-regarded sources that your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest piece, hence why I chose to exclude older work, or pieces I didn't think represented the quality I was capable of currently.

thnom: Heh, yep, I like how the old one looked smile.gif
    You're right about the number of finished works, I'm currently in the process of making some new stuff since I don't think my older work is high enough quality, so the content should be filling out over the course of the next few weeks if I find time in between university work.
    Also, no, I did the texture for Tarsier (someone else asked me this recently too, I think it was Poop?), but Tully textured our Pirate Girl from a recent contest which may be what you're thinking of.

Cheers smile.gif
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Why the hell isn't pirate girl up there? Colleration shows team work! That's probably what I was thinking about, too. I wasn't dissing the number of works up - I was just saying that with the numbers so few at the minute, keep him up until it gets a little fuller. I'd also put that above the contract work for liquid. Whilst it shows industry work - the rocket skates is better quality IMO. Overall nice job though. There seems to be something odd going on with the roll overs - I made a quick video (check your inbox) as I would explain it, but it doesn't make sense. smile.gif

PS: doesn't resum
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thnom, thanks for the feedback. I'll see about putting Pirate Girl up (if you look at the source code for the 3dart page you'll see it's commented out wink.gif ), I just need to make some new renders first. Plus most of the texture work for that model was by Tully so I don't really think it demonstrates anything else that I haven't already shown with other pieces.

About the rollover problem, yeah, I noticed this on Friday when I checked the site out on Internet Explorer in the university computer labs. It did the exact same thing, making grey boxes after rolling over. The weird thing is, my version of IE here displays them fine, as does my laptop and my brother's laptop - no lag or visual problems. Maybe it's something to do with computer speed?

That's something I'll have to see about getting fixed. Technically it should all be fine, just on some computers (and only in IE, mind you, I've never seen it happen in Firefox), it seems to screw up those rollovers. Bloody annoying! tongue.gif

As for r
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Ace work MoP. One thing I noticed was that some of the pages shifted to the right slightly.

High Poly Hand
    Woman with Scarf
    Lantura
    Scanner
    Demon Prince
    Links
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    spacey: that happens when a page is so short there's no scroll bar. Getting rid of the scrollbar adds a few pixels to the right side and the page re-adjusts.

mop: nice collection of work, specially like the denzien of the underworld. Wouldn't mind seeing more 2d though smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    very nice. thumbs up!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
  • RE3456
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RE3456 polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff Mop!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    looks great mop!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Nice site Paul, but it is a little too wide. What is it, 1024? Purely from a design standpoint, (I know WHO you are catering to, and what their resolution should be), it is stretched too far.

It is just your masthead on each page of the art stuff - the width of the actuall content is fine on tha art pages.

However, when you get text on the About me page, it stetches too far and this makes it harder to read - this a purely a human thing about readability. Since the text is wide and there is no margin on the right side it requires more concentration to stay on the correct line right to the end.

In comparison the CV/Resume works fine, you will notice that you have larger margins at both the left and right of the text.

So, make the pages narrower by 150 pixels.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    really nice stuff Paul.

Gotta agree,keep the rocket skater until you get more stuff done,its worth it as it also shows ya won a CGchat contest,not to many of us around here can say that smile.gif.

Im really impressed with your new stuff,I mean I was impressed anyway but I havent been following your work over the last few months and this new set-up shows some great strides in your ability since some of your older stuff.

Impressed!

John
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers guys. smile.gif

Rick: Thanks for the feedback - good point about the readability of the Info page, I'll do something about that right now...
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Great site, saved a bunch of pics to my hard drive for references smile.gif (being able to see how the texture looks by itself without the normal map was really helpful).

I didn't come across any problems.
  • charger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charger polycounter lvl 18
    awesome stuff mop, I really like your highpoly work. You have made a lot of progress and your website shows your new stuff smile.gif. Keep it up!!
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    you making changes? i can't get it to work.

NEVERMIND!!!! wink.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    congratulations mop, i dig ! the only thing i think should tightened is the diffuse on the generals mount, the normal has plenty of detail, but it has a blurry feeling, bah...i should stop nitpicking....

keep up the EXCELENTE work !
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Real nice design Mop. Work is ace as always. So when the hell are you done with school? You planning on sticking to UK area or what?
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Johny, I painted the skin on the mount's diffuse because it was getting down to the wire and Mop had to finish the base/renders wink.gif I was too busy to do much either! Ah, procrastination.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    looks really awesome mop. i noticed you're overlapping a lot of your UV's in your normal maps....i always thought that was a no no.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    nice clean layout and awesome content of course. It all looks very professional. The only thing Im not a fan of is how you've written your info page, talking about yourself as If you're somebody else writing a mini biography on you. It just feels odd because I know that you wrote it ;-)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nice site Paul, but it is a little too wide. What is it, 1024? Purely from a design standpoint, (I know WHO you are catering to, and what their resolution should be), it is stretched too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually 1024x768 is the new standard for design at most web design firms. I have a friend who works for Juxt (one of the premier flash design companies) and they don't even use 800x600 anymore, and their market is far less likely to have larger monitors than the people viewing 3d portfolios.

I redesigned mine to use 1024x768 recently as well.

poop.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers for the response, folks smile.gif

Poop: Good point, but I think Rick wasn't talking about the width of the side based on a technical standpoint (ie people using 800x600), more just that the text on the info page was creating too long lines which were hard to read. I've put them in a narrower div now, should read a bit nicer.

Daz: Yeah, I was worried that might happen. I wasn't really sure how to write it. I just edited it all to be from the first person. wink.gif

Fritz: Nah, it's allowed, especially in more modern engines. When normal mapping first came out some engines didn't handle mirrored or stacked normals very well, now the programmers have sorted that out, mostly smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, it was also that the site was too wide - 1024 might be the screen res, but you DONT run to that in the design because no-one really uses fullscreeen browsing.

The current assumption is 85% or so screen taken up by the web browser. The other problem is that even with larger resolutions, the human mind finds it difficult to cope with the amount of information spread over such a large area. This is why newspapers and magazines use columns - it makes things easier to read.

So, the point is that even though I run a 1600x1200 res, I dont run the browser full screen, and that larger area sites are unusable.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Rick, well the site is actually 990px wide, so if someone's running at 1024x768 and they have their browser window maximised, it fits snugly. I figure that most people in graphics jobs will be running at an absolute minimum of 1024x768, and from what I've seen most people do their browsing in a maximised window. Maybe I should do a poll to find out.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff! Great show with the General, and the chap with the rocket skates cracks me up every time.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Mop, this website is perfect.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    nice work Mop!
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Aha, so you done the rocket-skate guy. I recall seeing that waaay back.

Great mixture of quality low/high poly work there. What impresses me the most is the effectiveness of the normal map stuff - not over done at all.

Not a big thing but I was looking for your skills and couldn't find them on the Info page, nor the resume... until I scrolled down to the bottom. I know you've kept the 'About Page' like a mini-bio but what about adding your location and skillset to that page? It'd seem the most logical place for that info imo.

Thats just me nit-picking though. I feel like such a fanboy today.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Mop, just checked your site today and the flashy buttons thing has been fixed laugh.gif. Glad that annoyance went
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    thnom, weird, because I haven't don't anything to the buttons since you mentioned it! laugh.gif
    Seems like a totally random IE-related bug. It probably won't even exist when IE7 comes out. I've never seen it happen on Firefox.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I love your stuff MoP. The characters you modeled are very unique and cool. The rocket skates guy is one of my favourites! Keep it up smile.gif