Home General Discussion

So, how has your life turned out?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I was thinking today while inhaling some sushi with some work mates that I love how my life has turned out in comparison to how I thought it would be when I was younger.

When I was young and would like with my friends about what I want to do when I'm older (I'm talking 8, 9, 10 years old...) it involved "I wanna make video games!" but that was more of a pie-in-the-sky thought. I also talked about following my dads foot steps and becoming a cop, working at Disney as an animator (so awesome!), starting my own videogame company with all my friends and making the SWEETEST games EVER! At that age girls were icky so having a steady girlfriend wasn't exactly in my head (seeing "boobies" for the first time was though!).

I never thought I'd actually be a 'game artist', live on the opposite side of the country, and be in one of the most beautiful cities on earth. Maybe its the nice weather today, or the sun shining, but I'm pretty damn happy with the way my life has gone.

You?

Replies

• Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    Still working towards my ultimate goal; currently at university training to become a teacher of English to foreign language students. Combine this with Japanese, and I think my plan becomes clearer...

I would never have imagined I'd be on this path a few years ago, and yet here I am.

And I'm totally enjoying university, I've made lots of great friends, got a great girlfriend and I'm in a great town with a great rock/metal scene.
    Could say my life is going great so far!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I'm 36 years old - and I remember thinking about how 30 was so thankfully far away when I was in High School.

I spent 5 years in the USMC, have done construction work, computer tech support, worked for LEGO, and now make a living brokering 3D files for Poser.

I've studied theater and performed many times on stage, learned Russian while in the Corps (but have forgotten most of it), and been from one side of the US to the other.

I've fallen from a rapelling tower onto hard packed earth and not broken anything. I spent nine months in Scotland and a month and a half in England. I stood outside and played flag football in the middle of a hurricane, and months later watched as a tornado literally hopped over the building I was in - destroying the buildings on either side, but I was untouched. I've flown on more different kinds of aircraft than I can count, and even learned to fence for the sake of learning.

Would you believe I''m bored right now?
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I'm thankful for my time here on earth. I've been blessed with a loving family, an amazing wife, and I'll soon be a papa, in August or September of this year.

I had always dreamed of becoming a game artist. Although those dreams did not come to pass, there will always be a part of me that wishes I was doing what I loved. But I believe there are some things more important than one's own dreams. For me, that thing is my family. Perhaps I play life "too safe." From the outside, companies in the industry appear unstable and short-lived. And the hours of operation (cruch time in particular) sound rough when considering time for one's family. I want to be a "little league dad" and "scout leader" for my kids. I suppose I feel the duties of a game artist would not be conducive to having a lot of time to spend with my children.

Is there regret? You bet. But I think the trade off is worth it. I currently work for the University of Houston-Victoria in Victoria, Texas as the PC Technician. I am also furthering my education by taking master's courses towards my MS in Computer Science.

Maybe if everything works out down the road...I'll be able to teach as an adjunct professor. I would love to be able to help get a program started to give people in this area exposure to the artistic and technical sides of game art.

Life is good...and Tuesday I'll be celebrating 26 years of it. grin.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    recently it just dawned on me that I'm 43....
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Im not dead yet.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ever the optimist, oXYnary tongue.gif

I think I'm doing pretty well so far. Ask me again in 8 months and I hope I'll be able to say it's even better.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In this case MoP, I was being optimistic, jackass.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    At 18, I did not believe I had a future. I did not know who I was or where I was going. Nothing planned. I'd be lucky to stay alive. I turned my back on all the things I enjoyed as a kid. I completed high school from peer pressure. After graduating I moved away from everything I knew, disconnecting myself from the world and all my friends.

After 5 years of searching and many mistakes, I think I know who I am now, and where I want to be. I'm more in touch with my childhood, where video games and art were my life. I have a future, good friends, and an amazing woman, living in a great town. I have goals, and purpose. I know I can get by when times are tough, but life appears to be getting better each year. I've put my reckless school years behind me. Nothing can bring me down.

So, all good here.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    if that was optimism I'd hate for you to be pessimistic oxy!

I've been chasing the carrot of 'being the best artist I can be' all my life and slowly realising that its not an actual goal that you can reach.. its just a continual process that stops when you die laugh.gif. hey I never said *I was an optimist. Sometime soon I want to give it a short rest and actually take a look around without the blinkers on. My friends have been all over the earth and Ive only been to a handful of places for a couple of weeks at a time
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Great, I'm living the dream but it's never enough for me...

I expect that urge always to do more is what's allowed me to do as much as I have.

r.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *checks life*

Looks pretty good to me so far! Can't complain. smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im doing better than this guy , so I guess I'm doing OK.

To play devils advocate though, I'm a bit like Ror I think. Once I reach certain goals, the goalposts shift, and I have higher goals. It's never really enough. As you suggest Rooster, you're sort of just forever chasing your tail. I guess that's quite common with us artistic types. Last week I woke up one morning and decided that my demo reel was crap, and now Im revamping half of it. Sigh.

Regrets? I wish I'd gotten married allready but alas, I just haven't met the right gal. If I could do it all over again, I would procrastinate less.
    It's not really what I pictured as a kid ( although to be fair, daydreaming in that crappy council estate in south London, I never dreamed I'd be living in California ) but I can't really remember what I pictured. Oh yeah I remember, I wanted to be one of those artists that draw criminals based on peoples descriptions, hah! So yeah, spose Im doing ok. Kinda wink.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    When I was little I always wanted to be an architect. My family was broke so they couldn't afford university, also partly knowing this, I fucked about in college and didn't get the grades for a scholarship anyhow.

Since 16 the only goal I had was to get to Japan. I was working for probe at the time on some SNES games, doing pixel art. They offered me a full time job and I turned it down. At 21 I got to Japan and since then it's been a ping pong of coming back here. Finally I am back, but at almost 28 I feel like the good days have gone.

Sure it's easier to get work and money now, but before I could sail through life and mess about. For some reason I want kids more than anything, and may well have found the right girl to make them with. Although I guess we're just going to practice for a few years, because shes six years younger than me smile.gif

In all, life has been good to me. Some say I'm lucky for having a tallent. I think it's just about being interested in something. Theres so many out there happy to smoke weed and play playstation when they get home from the factory, in fact thats 90% of people I went to school with, I'm glad it didn't turn out like that.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    World domination coming along just fine
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    When i was little i wanted to draw comics. Then i moved on to something less lofty and then wanted to be an architect. That lasted up untill i found out the people make video games my senior year. It came to me when I saw that there were schools that would teach you how to make them. It had never really occured to me before that people were making them. After that i have been working towards that goal. So rite about now i think i'm pretty damn happy.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    I'll edit in 10 years.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I never really thought about what I'd be at this point since I was convinced I'd be dead by now.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe if you try harder cain...

I wanted to be an architect like hawken...but I guess the quake modding community helped me realise I wanted to make games instead...and now I do.

This last year my life has turned out well. I like the way things are going, though I too would like to start a family.

Wow hawken, we're in the same boat.

-R
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    and would you believe it, I also ran a quake mod!

twilight zone!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    well I'm pretty depressed most of the time (if you were fast you might of seen my post I deleted last night) but that's mostly hereditary. Working on the general has been cheering me up, characters really give me the satisfaction that environmental stuff doesn't.

I've got a pretty decent (and easy) job, IT department for a mac based office, I'm living rent free until all the paperwork goes through and my house gets bulldozed for an apartment complex (which should take about a year). So I guess I'm doing pretty good.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    there's always somethign to reach for. i'm quite proud of who i am, but it'll only ever be a fraction of what i want to be.

haahah that sounds like some sort of self-help slogan. wonderfly lame. i'll leave it.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Im still alive so something must be going right <.<
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    I liked the trailers of my life better...
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    To be honest, if my life wasn't a parody, it would probably be a lot better.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure pak, got a knife?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Last few years for me have been rough but i think my life is at a turning point, moving to Holland is turning out to be one of the best choices ive ever taken. Im getting to work on games which i would have never imagined i would have worked on. Learning tons of new 3d knowledge,getting healthy and in shape (aka not fat) and meeting/going out with tall ,blonde lovelies and just overall feeling better.

At the moment everything is going Milhouse for me

Oh yeah and enjoying all the fine greenery doesnt hurt either.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going Milhouse doesn't sound as great as I think you meant it to
    milhouse-grimace.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    lol the reference is from an episode where things are going well for milhouse, and he says "Everything is going Milhouse" lol
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

When I was young and would like with my friends about what I want to do when I'm older (I'm talking 8, 9, 10 years old...) it involved "I wanna make video games!" but that was more of a pie-in-the-sky thought.
    You?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was the same way.. I used to draw out my own mario levels on copy paper. I also wanted to be a mad scientist and an inventor.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Joe, I still want to be a mad scientist and an inventor frown.gif
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Life has been an interesting ride. Not always good. Not always fun. Occasionally very sad and sometimes scary. But there's a lot of stories to share that have come from it. Having true stories to share as you get older is a wonderful thing ...

When I was a child, I thought working for a toy company would be the greatest thing in the world. Been there, done that. And it was interesting. But I would not do it again.

As a teen, I wanted to make comic books. Did some comic strips and found that it really wasn't what I wanted to do.

As a college student, my dream was to be an illustrator and paint book covers. Been there, done that (and have the T-Shirt!) and discovered that it became boring after a while. Not enough variety.

Ended up making games ... always something different from month to month, year to year. Has its ups and downs, but generally always good. I'd like to finish out my career doing this.

Never really wanted (or liked) kids when I was a young man, but I have two (both young adults now) and they are easily the greatest accomplishment in my life. I love them dearly and miss having them around.

Thought I would be married forever to the same woman ... but ...

I've had happiness and sorrow. I've had as much fame as a man really needs. I've both been poor and had lots of money (though never been really rich).

Important things I can share:

Being wise is better, long term, than being smart.

Owning or having things does not make you happy.

What you do for others will be more fulfilling than what you do for yourself.

But don't feel guilty if what you do for others also has a selfish component to it. Even saints have to eat. smile.gif

You don't really need that second serving of pie. Trust me.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Nothing worth mentioning as yet frown.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Joe, I still want to be a mad scientist and an inventor frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

keep the dream alive, man. keep it alive.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i'll let you know when i hit 30
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Had a fantastic childhood. I did alot of things, went alot of places but im wondering now if i'm a bit burnt out from it all in retro spect. I look forward to weekends where absolutely nothing happenes, and I dont have to go anywhere.

I went to college, got a job afterwards, live alone in an apartment. I get to eat, sleep, do whatever I want whenever i want. (something that always was a goal of mine)

Never had a girlfriend.. I think this might be a big problem.

Whats the frickin point..

Won't an asteroid hit the earth already? If you're lookin for me I'll be on a hill in a lounge chair with a shiney pinwheel and big novelty foam hand.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    swampbug: you actually sound fairly normal.

One last word of advice (well last word this time around): Live in a way that makes NOW the best days of your life, regardless of how young or old you are. "Glory Days" (as in the Springsteen song) are for losers who never do anything after high school (or university).
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I have to echo what Paul just said about living for now. Don't dwell on the past, don't predict the future (because it will always lead to dissapointment).

I guess I've accomplished a lot in my 26 years, but accomplishments mean less and less the older I get. I'm most content when I'm focused on the work, whether it be painting a texture, building a level, or attending a figure drawing workshop. The end result doesn't matter much to me anymore, I just like to do it.

Friends are more important to me than ever, and it's a priority of mine to find the time to get together. I've lost too many due to work and personal ambition.

I'm currently struggling with chronic migraine headaches, and it's unfortunate that I've finally realized just how important personal health is. You only get one body (well, until cyborg replacements hit the market) so take care of it.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm loving every minute of it, and I'm looking forward to more. 8-)

poop.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swamp, volunteering helps.. Its makes you feel you've done something worthwhile. smile.gif

And on that note...
    http://www.idealist.org/

Oh, and you can't totally live in the moment (too many people do this these days, and look what its allowed to happen to our world).

You need your past to know where you've been. You need the future to know where your going. You need the present however, to enjoy what you have now. smile.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    exactly, listen to what Paul is preaching! He is absolutely right! Because what he hasn't said is this "As you get older time starts speeding up, like really, really, fast!"
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Well now, the end is near; And so I face the final curtain. My friend, I’ll say it clear, I’ll state my case, of which I’m certain. I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve traveled each and every highway; And more, much more than this, I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few; But then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption. I planned each charted course; Each careful step along the byway, But more, much more than this, I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I’m sure you knew When I bit off more than I could chew. But through it all, when there was doubt,
    I ate it up and spit it out. I faced it all and I stood tall; And did it my way.

I’ve loved, I’ve laughed and cried. I’ve had my fill; my share of losing. And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that; And may I say - not in a shy way, No, oh no not me, I did it my way.

For what is a man, what has he got? If not himself, then he has naught. To say the things he truly feels; And not the words of one who kneels. The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My grandmother had that sung at her funeral *shudders*
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Hysterical link Daz!

I have a great family, and working advertising was fun- but I'm all about landing a game gig one day...

I suppose I make an effort to be grateful for what I have now, while still looking forward. I guess that's the trick isn't it?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not what I wanted. Two mistakes have largely determined my current situation in life, good things I let pass me by because I was afraid and didn't understand or appreciate them at the time. I'm four days out from my thirtieth birthday, single, significantly in debt and effectively unemployed. The regrets I've learned to live with - it's not knowing what path to take out of here that literally keeps me awake at night.

But I'm not giving up smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    I was introduced to Michael Moorcock at a very early age, dark fantasy was the coolest thing next to historical battles and myths and legends and video games. I pretty much spent my childhood writing little stories, making up my own board games and dreaming about adding twists to prince of persia or doom. I never really thought about making games as a sound vocation, it was all just for fun.

One day when i was 17 I was sitting at a train station in Brooklyn looking at all the sad miserble people around me and it hit me, you know, why not do it, its my life good or bad i might as well do something fun with it.

So i just decided that i would try and be become really good at this 3d/game art thing because that seemed like a really fun thing to do with my life. And i've been kind of dabbling with mods for about a year or two before then.

fast forward to 3+ years after that. Its been good and bad, it wasn't all as awesome and glorious as I had imagined, but what is? its all alot more real now. I've met everyone who i used to idolize when i was getting into this and they all turned out to be approachable and nice people, which was really an inspiration all in itself. If theres one thing i've learned is that no matter how much skill or talent someone has they are still just human, and you can achieve anything if you work hard.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Being one of the "older" residents of PC, my ride has been a long, strange trip.

I first started playing games and dabbling on the computer in the early 80's, just before the great "crash" of video games. The first thing I ever did on a computer was try to recreate Donkey Kong on the Apple II(unsuccesfully). Then I successfully recreated Centipede and Phoenix smile.gif I knew then that computers would be my career.

I suppose in high school I dreamed of the white picket fence house, beautiful wife and family, like most people do. It started out on that course, not long after graduation. Went to college on a scholarship, fell in love, got engaged, and struck out on my own. The problem was, I had no sense of balance, no idea of "who" I really was, or what I was about. I was overconfident to the point of cockiness, and a few years later found myself alone, dropped out of college, laid off, and drinking heavily. I spent 10 years recovering from that night that she came home and said "we need to talk". Most of my 20's were a dark period, mostly drunk or high, playing guitar in metal and punk bands(the only thing that kept me going actually). Finally after all that time, I had rebuilt myself, and by the time I was 30 I was much more focused, sober, and able to harness whatever talents I had musically or artistically to the best of their potential, which at long last, gave me a sense of worth.

It was the right time to meet my wife, a few years later, who made all the suffering of the decade before completely worth it.

Now with that sense of restlestness gone, I was able to jump back into art and video games, as a hobby, and at the same time get my professional life back on track. I got the dream house, cushy job, and loving, beautiful wife, and family. Well, the kids are actually cats, but that's plenty for me smile.gif

So strangely, life has turned out the way I thought it would, it just took a very strange, morbidly interesting path to get there.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Not at all the way I expected. Or planned.

I get what enjoyment I can, but for the most part, my life is not what I expected it to be. Of course, I am one of those classic 'always greener on the other side' types, so I have no idea how I would think about things from the other side, the one I think I might prefer. But there really isn't any going back now.

I had a startling epiphany the other day. I Googled the name of the one good friend I had at school in the sixth grade. We had ended up in the same college, by some strange synchronicity, and I hadn't known where he'd gone from there. But his own web site was the #1 hit, and I discovered that he's gone and done exactly what he'd dreamed about. You may laugh, but he was a Creative Director at Henson Productions, working mainly on Sesame Street, eventually winning an Emmy. Startled, I realized that he's had the exact level of success I expected of myself, many years ago. Put me in my place, to be sure.

So, the mid-life crisis is upon me! Whee.

/jzero
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it's going alright so far, but it's been better.

Somehow I don't think you can top early childhood. I remember rolling around on the floor, playing with the carpet, sucking my thumb and kicking my feet around all day and being happy as hell.

I suppose I could still try that, but I somehow doubt I'll get the same kick out of it. :P