Home General Discussion

Question to those with shipped titles?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Do you usually get given a copy of the game you have worked on or do you have to go out and buy it?

Replies

• Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, well usually you get one unless the developer/publisher is reeeeealy cheap. wink.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    aye, i've got a free copy of everything i've done.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    When I have worked in house, yes. With contract work, the studio may get a copy, but I will have to get one for myself (no problam, as they are normally cheap titles anyway wink.gif )
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    aye, i've got a free copy of everything i've done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Weather I've wanted it, or not. haha
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    And usually, if it's released one multiple platforms you get to pick the version you want.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I make sure its in the contract.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Neversoft gave me twelve copies of Tony Hawk American Wasteland covering all the platforms it was released on, even the handhelds. And twelve copies of GUN on all it's platforms (except PC).

Mythic gave me a copy of the games I worked on. TRI didn't, but by the time they all got their copies I wasn't employed there anymore, so I understand.

poop.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    12 platforms??? I didn't know there even are that many!
  • Vark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vark polycounter lvl 18
    I usually get one copy per platform plus collectors version if there's any.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Coleco = Initially, no copies. Then only copies of games you actually worked on. Had to buy my own ColecoVision.

Freelance = usually got a couple copies of the PC game and half a dozen copies of any paper and pencil RPG game products I worked on.

TSR (RPG product) = got one copy of every stinking product the company produced (usually 6 or more a month), but something like 6 copies of games with my cover or art in it (between TSR and freelancing, I have TONS of RPG product ... eventually going to have to Ebay some of it).

id = several copies of all games we produced, plus at least one copy of games using an id IP developed elsewhere.

Ensemble/Microsoft = several copies of each version of each game that the studio itself creates (not ports or licensed IP).

NOTE: Any developer/publisher that is too stingy to give one (or more) copies of a game that an artist works on is likely to be questionable in other dealings too (IMHO).
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I've gotten one copy of each game I worked on too. Officially, I mean; Epic tends to leave big boxes of their games scattered around the studio, meaning that I could theoretically have gotten more than one copy of something, but I didn't need them so didn't take.

At my current job, I expect to get one single copy of Hellgate ... but fortunately my contract also states that I get 666 unborn souls, pure and innocent, to do with as I please. That's pretty cool.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

At my current job, I expect to get one single copy of Hellgate ... but fortunately my contract also states that I get 666 unborn souls, pure and innocent, to do with as I please. That's pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're not in-house, we're studio neighbors. grin.gif

If not... well then let's never speak of this again. The pain would simply be too great to bear.
  • Dravalen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dravalen polycounter lvl 18
    For the contract work I did I never recieved a copy of the game(had to buy it on my own), however I know the non-contract people got a copy of the game/tshirt.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    I've gotten copies of both the games I've worked on. They would be given to us by the publisher. We'd get a bunch of PS2 versions, and some GC and XBox ones. The producer would then ask us to choose 2 versions we would like and then we would get one.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't there a new law though about this kind of thing since the whole Enron scandel ? At least in America . I think that is what Fry was saying about not getting a Xbox360 he had to go out and buy his own even though he is the President of Microsoft games . Free products have to be filed now as part of your income ..something like that ?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I get one copy of the game minimum. Sometimes I get to two copies and we are allowed to pick the platforms we like.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I got a copy on each platform and any "limited/collector" editions. And a few weeks after launch we got a few extra if we wanted.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Pogonip: AFAIK that applies only to management.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    When i interned on RTX redrock.. I never got a copy of the game from Lucasarts. So I bought it for 6.99 in a bargain bin 2 years later. :F

Volition gives us 1 copy of the game for each platform. thats what happened with punisher.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I always got free copies at Microsoft. Now that I work at an outsourcing company, I don't get copies from the publishers generally.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    DICE gave me a free copy of BF:V as a contractor. As an outsourcing company we sometimes get free copies, but most of the time we don't.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    Valve gave me a free copy of DOD:Source even though I only worked on the original and not the Source version.

I didn't get a boxed copy of the original though...it was available for download anyways.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Simbin gave me both GTR and GTLegends, I didn't get a copy of PGR3 as I worked through an outsourcing company. I think pretty much if you work directly with the company then you get free copies. I think how b1ll does it is good though, make sure it's in the contract laugh.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    DICE gave me a free copy of BF:V as a contractor. As an outsourcing company we sometimes get free copies, but most of the time we don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems to be the case frown.gif oh well ill just buy it when its released.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    got my one copy on the platform of my choice from TRI and i'll get the same from Atari/Paradigm