Home General Discussion

Happy flooded New Years?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Over the past two days, there have been a series of storms that have wreaked havok in California, and here in Nevada. Some rivers here in Reno are 10ft + over their flood plane. Luckily it's not that bad in south Reno yet, by my place. But things are only going to get worse. The water levels are still rising, and Carson City (capital) just declared a state-of-emergency. In a few hours, the rain is going to convert to snow fall, and the temp is going to drop to around freezing. Great way to bring in '06, eh?

Are any of you guys here also suffering from these storms?

Replies

• PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I had to drive Klien to the airport this morning; 2 hrs too early (poor guy)

The rain was pouring so hard I was hydroplaning all over the place. The wind was so strong it was shaking the car. I was tempted to take El Camino real all the way home, but toughed it out.

I can't imagine the airprot authorizing any departures in this weather.

Driving in Cali sucks...ass. That goes double with storms.

-R
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh its beautiful here in San Diego! smile.gif

I really wish we got some storms down here sometimes.. frown.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i farted last night.
    you won't believe what happenned here!!
    ]
    it was so cloudy and thick i swear i spotted some lightening bolts under my chair :~
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's freaking hot down here in florida, I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Holy shit, that sucks, Vas. I've never been through a real flood before, but ice is only fun when you're a kid. Once you're old enough to drive, ice is about as fun as a colonoscopy.

(but shotgun ... man ... that sucks even more! But on the other hand, it's kind of cool, isn't it?)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    we don't get weather here in tokyo, I think they phased it out some years back
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    dude they're gonna have fireworks in wow... heading to thunderbluff now smile.gif

happy new years beeyatchez
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    NYC HERE, Happy New Year Big GREEN!

143 Green monster!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    My brothers and a few friends went to see Les Claypool in San Francisco last night, and they barely made it home this morning (the concert was over at 12:30pm, and they made it back at around 6:30am). They had to go through I-80 West, which was apparently closed due to mudslides, but they somehow made it home. They said at some points, they had to drive through quite a bit of water. BTW, we're about an hour northwest of you in a small town called, "Janesville" just outside of Susanville, if you have any idea where that's at.

I plan on driving back to Chico tomorrow, so hopefully I won't run into too much trouble. On the way here from Chico, highway 36 had a couple places were the road was flooded, and that was more than a week ago (before all the rain). At least I drive a big 4x4 truck, but still.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Was blowing and rainin like crazy last night, and the creek that runs behind our place was up a good 3-4 feet from yesterday.
    Spent all day new year's eve up on the very slick roof of this house nailing down sheets of plastic over my parent's bedroom, as their ceiling lamp had become a ceiling fountain overnight...
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    happy new one! =)

@pak: plane took off at 12:50 or something....was delayed twice D: i was at the airport for about 5 hours....lots of hotties there though so it wasn't that bad =P
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Happy hangover! Great way to start a new year, huh?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    great way to ring in the new year... first off no partying last night, now i get woken up to find that the 'garage tent' we're using to cover the barracuda parts is in the backyard.. upside down.. a good twenty or so feet from its point of origin.... resting on top of the brick bbq (broke bost the lampposts over the bbq). After much yelling and hating at one another, the four of us managed to get the tent flipped over the fence and back in its rightful spot. We then tied and bungied the thing down as best we could. I managed to have the wind slam our big wooden gate on me a good three or four times, and got a nice fat blood blister on my pointer finger. 06 can only go up from here! (unless, of course, I dont get a job)
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Driving from the party site, in San Jose, to my office in redwood city to check Emai., the wind was causing me to change lanes and the rain, what short bands of it I drove through was rather viciously sideways with the wind and all. It's been rather eopic as thse things god, and a ton of trees in the office complex all tipped over. I talked with mom, and they are on high ground and have electricity still and a fridge full of food, but the roads to civilization have flooded and may not drain for a day or two. They live near the Russian River by Santa Rosa, where the worst of it is.

Scott

Scott
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    my septic tank backed up Jan. 1st, I guess that's karma getting me back for bragging about the nice florida weather.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i spent the new year in my hometown of new orleans and besides the national guard on everycorner it was suprisingly the same old place. they didnt care people were doing drugs and getting completely smashed they were just there to keep the peace and they did a good job of not getting in anyones way of having fun. the bywater area around the river had some noticable damage and new orleans east was a mess, but the quarter and uptown were great. the area i lived in, the garden district was also in great condition. the quarter actually didnt smell like urine and vomit for the first time i have ever been there. it was a great new years. seeing all the locals pitch in and just help everyone have fun was great. and best of all it was not too crowded. be back in cali to shovel mud out of living room on the 6th.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I spent my new years in eastern Washington, but now I'm back in Oklahoma. You may have heard, we're on fire!