Home Technical Talk

Max7 Normal Map render bug?!

Miguelito
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
Hi there,
I have a little problem here but no idea how to solve it! I have my low and high poly model set up correctly, the cage is allright too. As you can see on the picture the righten eye is rendered in an absolute strange way. I checked the normals of both models, rechecked the cage, reset xform and so on... but the problem still remains. I have no idea why max renders it this way. And it starts to get annoying! Maybe some one can help me out here! This problem occured on my last model too. There I just mirrored the texture parts but this time I want that Max renders it correctly!!! btw: you can ignore the ray miss checks and the mirrored geometry parts...

maxnormalsmap0rl.jpg

Thanks

Miguelito

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't tell what part you're talking about. The character's right eye socket has some blockiness there, but looks like it might just be some JPEG artifacts.

Might help to paint an arrow to the problem, or draw a circle around it.

Did you push the mirrored UVs out of the 0-1 UV space (or otherwise tell RTT to ignore those faces)?
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sry, Ive drawn a circle around the problem area. Max should render this area like on the left eye socket area... this is definitely not the case.
    Thanks for the fast answer smile.gif

Miguelito
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To define the problem a bit clearer I posted all three channels of the normal map. It seems that Max renders the righten eye socket area much "stronger" then on the leften side...
    maxnormalsmapproblem3qq.jpg

Miguelito
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    could you soften the right or flip the left and blend it into the right?
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I decided to flip the left side and invert the R channel. But this is one workaround thing. I want Max to do it right for me GRRRR laugh.gif

Miguelito
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Could you post screenshots of the actual low and high models?

Smells like a cage issue, maybe caused by a need of a reset Xform on the low model... maybe :O
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here it is Pior. I made a ResetXForm but this didnt help either. Well and I dont see a problem with the cage either. Reseted it several times and checked the normals of low and highres model...
    It's just a simple highres model so dont blame me for that laugh.gif

lowhigh0xm.jpg

Miguelito
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May be some unwelded verts inside the low-res left eye (his left). Or it could be the normals are wonky in there, try a Normalize or whatever the option is in the Normal modifier, can't remember, don't have Max here.

Ultimately you might have to re-mirror the mesh, (his) right mirrored to make (his) left.

Oh also, could it be the W coordinates are fubar? Try flattening those to 0. Shouldn't affect the casting, but you never know.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried using offset instead of cage? This way you can be 100% sure its not a cage issue