Home General Discussion

King Kong

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Striff polycounter lvl 18
Anyone else going at midnight tonight? I can't friggin wait, only 10 hours to go for us on the west coast! tongue.gif

It's getting rave reviews so far, even more reason to be excited!

Replies

• seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    shit i wish i lived where they were playing it at 12am. i gotta wait til 5pm :/ hope its worth it.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    great movie, in spite of jack blacks terrible terrible acting, man should totaly stick to comedys, he delivered every line with that stupid bug eyed look, and the last line in the movie was one of the cheesiest i have ever heard,

the movie was one of the most action packed i have seen in years, but it was also good, verry good, a complete roller coaster of a film, with a few nice mellow parts to allow you to catch your breath, jackson seems to be here to stay
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    I can't wait.... Won't read this thread anymore till I've seen it. Oh boy oh boy oh boy.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Could have swore I already saw this movie? I'll wait a bit to see this and then only for the CG.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Could have swore I already saw this movie? I'll wait a bit to see this and then only for the CG.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah THE NOT PETER JACKSON'S ONE
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got back. Friggin unreal movie. Best movie I have seen this year hands down, and maybe in the past few years. I never thought I would have cared that much for a CG character.

Time to go to sleep....
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Bugs, very very BAD!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Great movie, in spite of jack blacks terrible terrible acting.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my only reservation about this movie. I was really hoping he could pull off being a serrious actor. It's sad to hear he can't. Hopefully the rest of the movie far outshines his acting. Going to see it tonight after work, what a mad house the place is going to be...
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    argh the bugs! the ooze worms ugh!
    great movie! yey for mass dino's laugh.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I have to agree jack did not fit in the role at all . Over-all it was an outstanding movie especially on the visual side . They could have trimmed a lot of the movie out though as it did nothing to push the plot . Especially all the scenes between the black guy and the kid ..I thought any second they would start kissing ..yesh .. I won't spoil anything but the last line in the movie took that movie from a B+ to an F ..lucky it was the last line .
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Did someone pop on screen, point to kong and yell "OMG PWNED!" ?
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worse then that..literally ... at least that would have been funny given the context of the scene ..
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    POSSIBLE FINAL LINE SPOILER IN THE NEXT THREE POSTS! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

Just curious because I haven't seen it yet.
    The last line in the original, as we all know, "It was beauty that killed the beast!"

Is it the same line you guys are talking about?

If it was, then tell me, if it's not then please don't tell me the line smile.gif
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    that just begs a question of ethics, if telling him so are we spoiling the movie in anyway? I don't know. I truly don't. But oh well, yeah dude thats the line. It was cheezy in the original and it was cheezy in this one. Didn't overshadow the movie in any way shape or form for me though.

PS: kong dies.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOO! smile.gif

anyway the only reason I wanted to know if that was the line was because I had noticed earlier (way earlier) that Mojo had never watched the original and he was the one who griped about the cheezyness of the line.

I on the other hand would be pissed if that line was not in there smile.gif
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was the line that was bad much like the original ,but it was jack blacks delivery that was the silver bullet ..he just can't do serious .I mean all of his lines are deliverd like he is making school of rock 2 .. the whole audience squinted at the same time in horror ...LOL

With all the gripping aside it is an AWESOME movie that is so action packed and visually stunning it almost made my eyes bleed with joy ...the bug scene had me on the edge of my seat..I hate bugs :-P
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Half the theater was wiggling around in their seats during the centipede scene.

The best creatures were the leach type things that ate the cook - friggin brilliant!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got back, loved ever min of it. Awesome creatures and CG! Jack Black wasn't as bad as I thought he would be so the movie came out as a total win for me! It's one I will own for sure when it hits DVD.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    20051205l.jpg
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn... that was a badass movie...

pfft... only 1 golden globe nomination...

There was a lot of sniffling / crying during that final scene.

Overall, badass. Hands down my favorite this year, just edging out Batman.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it last night and liked it.
    But why does it have to be 3 friggin' hours?!?!
    I thought that was too much and that they could have cut out at least 45 minutes without losing anything from the story.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Golden Globes don't really matter. I think I won a Globe last year. Oscar's are where movies go. I'm sure it'll get nominated for all the technical awards at the Oscar's.

Yeah, movie was great. Everything was really well done aside from a few compositing spots.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ha, I love penny arcade.

When I was at the theater when the Passion of the Christ came out, a friend yelled to the huge line of people "He dies in the end! hahaha!"
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    spoils...

Kong was fun. Any notice the soft music playing during the bug scene. Made me feel even more uneasy. God I hate those tube worms. Worst death ever.

I really didnt like how dumb everyone was acting during the dino chase scene. running along side danger, at 50 mph for 3 miles it seamed, yet the group never "REALLY" decided to stop and hide and let the stampeed go by.

I also didnt like how the girl ended up with the guy at the end, I would rather see the babe and KOng move back to the island and live together and repopulate kongs tribe. :P
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    When I was at the theater when the Passion of the Christ came out, a friend yelled to the huge line of people "He dies in the end! hahaha!"

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite movie-related joke is to tell people that they are making a sequel to Titanic crazy.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Just got back from it. Excellent movie, the best this year. Flawless lighting. Excellent re-creation of Manhattan in 1933. Wonderful job. Other than rubbery dinosaurs on occasion the CD wag flawless.

Scott
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Alright, I'm first. (spoilers of course)

In my opinion, I thought it was just ok, equal parts good and bad. There was very little plot to be accounted for, and please don't give me any of the 'but it was a recreation of the original...' lines as the original wasn't three overly excessive hours long. If you're going to double a movie's length, how about some dynamic characters save for the CG ape?

Next to mirrormask (ugh....) this was one of the most excessive movies I've ever scene. It was amazingly beautiful most of the time, but usually wholly unbelieveable (and no, I don't mean that I can't suspend disbelief to enjoy an ape fight a trex, I just can't enough to believe a dozen men can bob and weave through a stampede of brontos and live).

The movie was certainly one to see, I just wish there was more of the parts that made a movie in the mix. I felt like one of those arisocrats at the end of the film and the movie itself was poor Kong, shackled to the stage. After the initial thrill of seeing him there, I was thinking, 'ok... now what?'
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    We just got back from king kong. Peter jackson remade the movie so well i have no words to do it justice for how compelling he made it. The first movie didnt make me feel all that bad for kong but with CG he was able to make you wish the movie didnt have to end like it does. I now trust that director with any franchise. Maybe it was just his love for the first movie and the LotR books but when that guy cares about something he truly brings it to life.

I'll be seeing this a bunch more times. i dont think i have been this fullfilled with a movie, ever. I always feel like i didnt get to see it all. This i just want to give kong a big hug, or perter jackson. Just to say thank you for making a movie that truly lives up to its origins and surpasses it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was talking about the movie with some friends from work. Originally I was pretty excited to own this one, but it was three hours. While I watched it the suspension of disbelief didn't break until after the movie was over and I couldn't believe 3hrs had gone by. I'm not so sure that will happen again. Maybe instead of an extened version on the DVD he can put a stripped down version, hahaha laugh.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it last night - blown away. It was friggin' AWESOME.
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    Possible spoiler ahead... (yeah right laugh.gif)

Im stil wondering how they got him on the boat, with almost everyone being dead and all :P
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18

I loved it, wife hated it.

Spoilers--

Worst scene: WTF with the playing on the ice. That could have been cut. Also fewer shots of them looking into each others eyes.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Nick, having looked over your reviews of other films, I think the problem is is

1.) You like witty dialogue better than visuals.
    2.) You love cheese too much to enjoy an irony free film.
    3.) You prefer clever to well crafted.

Scott
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    there was a lot of flaws with the films, but like with other "AMAZINGLY GREAT MOVIES" i can accept them, but i don't like to over look them, because i think that in order to improve on anything, its good to know and realize when things are done bad

1. the dinosaur stampeed, i accepted it because it was just fun to watch, but still the whole time i had the "yea right" thing going off in my head.

2 when kong pulled her off the altar, and her arms didnt snap off, good rope there,

3. this lady has a fucking spine made of steel, once sceen he was just standing there vigerously shaking her for like 5 minutes,

theres was more things than that, but those are the big ones i noticed,

still even with that, film of the year in my eyes,
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm goin to play the critic here and give you guys an analytical review about Kong:

OMFG AWESOME!

Hail weta, god bless Peter Jackson. This is the best thing my eyes encountered ever since I started watching films.
    I had to pink away a tear after looking at a bunch of polygons and shaders. Gonna watch atleast a few more times in theatre. Beautiful!
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you read my post above you can see I was quite impressed by Kong. I have hardly slept, I was too excited. Kong haunts me in my dreams. Today I obtained my copy of Peter Jackson's production diary 2 disc dvd set. Which besides the nice box comes with 4 AWESOEM conceptual art prints from Weta and a certificate of authenticity. Beautiful stuff, I'm a happy camper. (/me continues watching the diary)
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    excellent movie. smile.gif
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major Clod polycounter lvl 18
    Excessive CG, insane action... I bloody loved it!

Sure there were some unbelievable action scenes, but they were frigging intense. Peter Jackson really knows what he is doing. The V-Rex fight... OMFG.

Kong, absolutely beautiful.

I didn't mind the ice scene, it was Kongs first experience of true happiness, it made his inevitable doom even sadder.

It was overindulgence at its finest, and it worked brilliantly!

Too bad it is too late for ole George Lucas to take notes.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The entire movie was awesome. Yes she's Superwoman, but who gives a shit - its a fun movie. Had her spine have broken or her arms ripped off it would have been stupid and a lot less fun to watch. The animation that went in to Kong was the best I've ever seen.

Awesome, awesome movie. Completely fun and worth the entire 3 hours.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, very much enjoyed it, although I'll err on the side of 'enjoyed it' and not 'it was incredible'. Some thoughts:

*possible spoilers*

I didn't like the Brontosaurus chase scene. I mean everyone knows that whenever you get caught up in a Brontosaurus stampede, move sideways not forwards! It was silly, and not entirely convincing lighting and compositing wise. Maybe it was fun to watch, I'm not sure.

What was also silly but definitely not fun to watch, was the killer man eating bug attack scene which culminates in the kid shooting the giant crickets off Jack. Dumb scene, and totally pointless in the overall scheme of the film.

Another scene that totally confused me, is when they are sound asleep on the rock ledge as Jack arrives for the rescue. What were previously harmless bats living alongside Kong in harmony, you know, sharing the environment, all at peace and knowing their place alongside each other in the eco system in the sunset, were suddenly a vicious pack of carnivorous killer bats swarming around Kong hellbent on his demise for no apparent reason. It was just one of those 'er,eh?' moments, of which the movie had several. Jackson's a good director, but If he cut down the size of his ego a little and subsequently the length of his movies too, they'd be better for it. It aint fun sat in the same small chair for 3 hours without being able to move much, so you better damn well have something good for me.

Some truly awesome Kong animation and CG work overall. When he's punching T-Rex's and smashing their heads together, you just get this phenomenal sense of power. He's very convincing in his quiet contemplative 'watching the sunset moments' too. Go, go Weta.

As with the original, his obsession with the girl is so intense that it's almost sexual, so of course my filthy mind couldn't help but ponder him attempting to consumate his intentions. So I notice we never saw any Kong Dong smile.gif
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Just came back from the movie. Pretty much feel the same way as Daz. And yeah, there was so much of it that was pointless. Could've cut an hour out of it. Makes me wonder if Jackson is able to make a 2h or even 1.5h movie.

Watching those slime worm/larva things during the bug scene made me sad because an amazingly cool Berserk movie could be made, but never will. frown.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it yesterday, badd ass! My only problem is that it felt like watching one of the lord of the rings extended versions.

*spoiled milk?*

I agree with Daz on the shooting the bugs off scene, a Tommy gun throws .45 slugs all over the place, it's super inacurate, but the bug scene was a cool scene, it was really creepy and depressing.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved thinking that the stampede scene was over the top, but then they come out to the ledge and Billy runs along the cliff, jumping off the landslide chunks as they fall, then Jackson tops it off with the ridiculous pile-up at the end.

I went in without any expectations of them taking the high road with this movie, and just enjoyed the ride. But yeah, Jack Black was a mistake. I thought his only decent acting was right after the bug scene, when he talks with the captain.

Got the latest Cinefex, they describe how Andy Serkis (also played the cook) was able to do such fine-detail facial mocap for Kong that they could infer his eye-lines from the bulging of his corneas on his eyelids.

Hats off to Serkis for another fine CG performance (he did Gollum too). Yeah yeah, animators finessed, but it sounds like it was mostly Serkis' acting, both body and face.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, anybody see this scene?
    photo_20_hires.jpg
    I didn't take a bathroom break, but I missed this one all the same. Apparently there was a coelacanth-like creature that kills off a few guys.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Saw it, thought it was fun. There was some fluff that sort of held it back from me going "holy shit amazing movie!"

It was a different take on the original King Kong..any one see the original? The change to make King Kong and Anne have more of a loving relationship rather than "King Kong is a monstrous beast and Anne wants to escape him" was interesting, I wouldn't really call it better or worse. Things from the original that I kinda didn't get why they weren't in this version kinda took away from the movie. No referencing the Empire State Building to King Kong's huge spire home on Skull Island?

The effects and visuals were quite mindblowing, but overall the script's tweaks on the original didn't make me feel this was anything worth above and beyond the other major blockbusters of the year. I guess I'm just snotty.
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey, anybody see this scene?
    I didn't take a bathroom break, but I missed this one all the same. Apparently there was a coelacanth-like creature that kills off a few guys.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I didnt see that one either, also the scene from the trailer where ann was screaming during a shoot and kong answered back from the jungle with a massive roar wasnt there either.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Visually it looked great but story is mediocre at best and the bloody thing is stretched to hell and back. Cutting all the filler would have made it into 2hours and more enjoyable movie. The "lets shake the girl" was one of the most stupid, it served no real purpose and it was like VERY repedetive, i wonder if they just looped the shake anime and showed if from different angles (if they didnt then they should have because you couldnt tell a fucking difference).
    And yes it has some horrible plot holes.
    Anyways if you have such a huge budget then why the fuck cant you like THINK? Work through the script and eliminate plotholes, then when its shot and all cut the bullshit out (i think its like "hey it did cost money so i keep it in the movie"), this goes for most movies.
    IMHO Jackson can only make as good movies as the source he works with and King Kong proves it, it has much weaker source than LotR and the movies is much weaker aswell, only thing why it might get mistaken for a good movies are the visuals. If you cut a turd into small enough pieces and scatter them into a large enough pile of sugar it will taste sweet but its still shit!

BTW could someone say which scenes Jackson supposedly added with hes own money?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I just got back from seeing it right now. Overall I thought it was a great film, but I defineatly agree that some parts were not needed.

The T-Rex fight scene was just amazing, though.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I don't recommend taking your girlfriend, mine cried the whole time and then was mad at me for the rest of the night for taking her to see it?