Home General Discussion

King Kong

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't recommend taking your girlfriend, mine cried the whole time and then was mad at me for the rest of the night for taking her to see it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Eeesh. My g/f loved it.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Your girlfriend loves watching a sad giant ape get shot to death by byplanes?
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Your girlfriend loves watching a sad giant ape get shot to death by byplanes?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't the airplanes... It was beauty who killed the beast....
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me explain.
    As you might have noticed Kong had no visible dong. It might sound irrelevant but it isnt!
    You see hes dong was inversed so it was INSIDE him at first he could hold it but in the end he had an hardon that pierced hes hearth and he died.
    Sad, isnt it?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i missed the scene where Ann screams and then Kong roars from the trailer too. was such a signature moment in the trailers that i was surprised they changed it for release.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me explain.
    As you might have noticed Kong had no visible dong. It might sound irrelevant but it isnt!
    You see hes dong was inversed so it was INSIDE him at first he could hold it but in the end he had an hardon that pierced hes hearth and he died.
    Sad, isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

phew, I wasn't the only one that noticed he didn't have a penis
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, my GF was all teary eyed and upset all night after the movie too. I enjoyed it. It had its flaws, and I noticed the missing scenes from the trailers myself, but it was really fun and very intense visually.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Jelmer you rule, that was a classic post!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    finally got around to seeing this. It was exactly as expected : brilliant to look at, and really well handled action scenes ... but i'm still none the wiser as to the point of the film.

Before i went in, i had the idea that it'd just be a (well-deserved) exercise in boyish self indulgence ... and left the cinema with not much more than that. I mean, it's just Kong, innit. Hardly bursting with new ideas or an interesting treatment or any new depths to the story ... it was just, well, King Kong. But shinier. Hmmm. 3 hours? Nope. Don't get it.

And GOD, all that fucking monkey-love ... It's just a big animal, woman, get over it for christ's sake. God knows how she'd react if she ever had a pet dog that got ill.

Ha ha, did like him playing with the t-rex's smashed head though. Good move. And i'm still feeling a bit queasy at those giant toothy lamprey cock monsters. God, what a way to go ...

Effective in what it did. But need more, dammit.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I accept all of the movie as a labor of love from Peter Jackson, his dream project since he was a kid, so I'll allow at least 40 minutes of excessiveness based solely on that. Think about YOUR OWN all-time dream project. Wouldn't you want that much, at least?

I saw a lot of details in the story that a thinking person would ask upon seeing the original. Wouldn't Denham, as a real person, be completely full of shit? Wouldn't the public display of Kong be a hellish mockery of his true natural majesty, especially in the 30s? Wouldn't an island with giant animals be a horrendous deathtrap inhabited by merciless and hostile tribes? All of those were included. There were also a lot of over-the-top things I felt free to overlook, given the total improbability of the concept. (i.e. you couldn't stand upright at the top of the ESB because of the wind)

A couple of things that I would have liked to see: After seeing Kong go over the side, I thought Naomi Watts might be thinking about doing the same herself, and that would have made Adrien Brody's arrival that much more significant. I wish that those two had made it back to street level before Denham's final line, because it struck me with a kind of irony -- Denham, in his capture of Kong, was probably more responsible for the ape's death than 'beauty'. It would have ruined the traditional line, but it would have been great to see Jack Black throw "It was Beauty killed the Beast!" at Naomi Watts in an accusatory way. But anyway.

/jzero
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the movie, but i did find it strange that they used a lower fps for the digital doubles when Kong is interacting with them (like him having the girl in his hand). All of the CG was animated really well, accept for those particular parts. At first i thought they used real life shots for those scenes, but when i saw the behind the scenes stuff i saw they had some really good digi-doubles. Either the fps was lower or they used some crappy motion blur effect, but it really bothered me.

Check out the behind the scenes stuff here (video!):
    http://www.kongisking.net/kong2005/proddiary/