Home General Discussion

Polycount, now and then

Replies

• Irritant
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I came here some time in 2002 maybe? I cannot recall. I had known about Polycount since it's inception, but didn't post here until Cheapalert suggested I post a couple of player models I had made for a project I was working on.

I guess I fall into the category "have a cake job, can spend time working on game art". Actually the only thing "cake" about it, is that I can work from home 99% of the time. The workload can be insane at crunch time, which is twice a year, about three months at a time, not to mention the enormous amount of pressure and responsiblity they bestowed upon me, which I took quite unwillingly.

But at night, I get a couple of hours of "me" time, so that is when I work on stuff usually.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I found polycount in late 2002 when Hawkprey posted his "looking for a partner in crime" art test for Legend. I wanted to see all the other peoples versions so I searched for the thread title (at the time I only posted on CGtalk) and found polycount as a result. I stuck around when I decided to make game art my major and my career (I had never done game art before the art test).

I'd say I don't fit into any of Vig's categories, as I work full time and never really dissapear at any point in the dev cycle, and still find time to post art and tutorials.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Found polycount in 2000.
    Since then I been active, disappearing, active, disappearing, spectating, active, disappearing etc.
    It's usually school, computer games and/or mod projects that cause the disappearing.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Good stuff Poop, here's to hoping you keep going and don't get a personal life! crazy.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    [ QUOTE ]

I'd say I don't fit into any of Vig's categories,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we all agree you are your own catagory... =P
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
  • frosty
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    came about 3-2001 - poor hobby skinner - flame wars - general pain in R13 & Kub's butt. smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I think I'm a hobbyist bordering on pro. I'm going to do a couple more years of freelance while I put together The Ultimate Generalist Reel!
    It's pretty frustrating for me, since I have all the equipment/software I need, and I'm out of school, but I'm staying here in Norman for a few more years. If I was just a little closer to Dallas I would look for a job there and commute, but 6 hours round trip is a bit much.
    Time to get back to my flying logos.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just to rain on everyone's parade, it's "hobbyist"... you're not the "most hobby"!
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a hobbyist who takes waaaay too much time between models and can't get myself to finish anything besides cute girls. Dunno when I joined Polycount but I think it was motivated by the death of Cold Fusion.
  • Fordy
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Am I a Hobbyist? Guess I am hehe, but one day I will get me that killer portfolio, learn normal mapping, model more, learn skinning and animation (nowt like setting yer goals high is there?)

In the meantime I love coming here daily and seeing what all you talented folks are up to smile.gif (Que a big licky ass sound effect)
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure I quite fit into Vig's categories either. I'm technically a professional in that I'm a full time game developing artist, but I've got far too much to learn before I really see as myself deserving of the title.

I believe it was my then flatmate JIStyles who introduced me to Polycount back in early 2002. I posted my very first Half-Life character up here in all its hideously modelled and textured glory and you were all very nice about it so I stuck around. I sure as hell wouldn't have my job at Tantalus now if I hadn't.
  • Chunkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    I remember you Ninjas smile.gif Welcome back dude

I've been either lurking or posting on polycount since it first changed names from Q2PMP- had only recently started doing textures for FPS games- I think AxeL told me about PC and and the rest is history smile.gif

Before coming here, I was on the Quake3world.com forums smile.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Found The Q2PMP in , late 97 or early 98? Not sure of the date, (I remember it was when someone posted a new player model that was not Paul Steed's crackwhore) Was a pro allready for 6 years, but was making the transition from sprites to 3D at the time. Still am a pro.

Scott
  • PaK
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    My fav part about polycount is that there is a group of you who like to talk about almost everything I love.

I miss steve royer's contributions.

-R
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i started mythic entertainment.. and a week later poop started an i kept thinking to myself "who hired this jackass??" he wore a polycount hoodie everyday and bobo the seal was every 4th word that came out of his mouth.. then i found out other people at mythic were on polycount too and it wasnt just poops "make believe friends" since i have grown to like poop a bunch, and it seems the people that worked at mythic that were also polycount members were my favorite bunch of folks..poop, doc rob, mojokey,cochtl, kman,e-x,matabus.. so polycount was just as much chatting with my real friends as well as poops make believe ones..