Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ultimate Duck Hunting artwork

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
Thought id post some environments that I created the artwork for. Been working on the project since May and at the moment we are about 90% towards our beta that we are showing at the IGDA Independent Game Showcase in Raleigh on the 28th, so its crunch time. hehe.

All the artworks was created in Maya, textured in photoshop and exported to the GarageGames Torque engine. If you live in the raleigh area, come by and try our game and give some feedback. smile.gif

Stuttgart, Arkansas
stuttgart_bg.png

Oacoma, South Dakota
Oacoma_bg.png

Old Harbor, Alaska
oldharbor_bg.png

Fairfax, Virginia
halifax_bg.png

Replies

• DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    Although this is a great idea...the graphics look kinda...cheesy...idk...the arkansas map also looks too plain...i think its just the emptyness in the background? that is really an eyesore to me

Despite that though, it looks pretty decent and has potential...maybe its just the torque engine that makes it look cheesy to me
    Can we can get any action shots? like what the hud looks like when firing against ducks (if the gun shows, bullets, score, etc) and what the ducks look like as well?
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Where in Fairfax is that?... I've lived there my whole life and never come across any place like that. Theres over a million (1,000,405) people living in Fairfax. Its pretty much all suburbs with some office buildings mixed in.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Fairfax

Looks like a nice place though.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII: alas, the torque engine that we have designed for doesn't support any shadows frown.gif or realistic lighting. The new torque 2.0 does, but its still too early. We met with Nvidia on friday, and they are going to help us create some better lighting and water shaders, it will change the whole look of the game hopefully.

I'll post some action shots & HUD in a few days, when we reach 100% Beta laugh.gif

matt22181: don't ask me, that what the guy who's funding the project said its supposed to look like. hehe. I'm no hunter wink.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    can't you create lightmaps in max and export them into the game to be applied on a different material channel ?
    seems that the engine is limiting you a lot because your work looks good, just lacks some engine-related eyecandy stuff like those you just talked about.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Do we get to shoot the dog this time? And how do you plan on using a lightgun on a PC?
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    That fairfax shot looks pretty close for what it'll be looking like in about another month. There could be more trees (although since your hunting ducks, they'd be in an open clearing like that). Although now a days the best place to hunt ducks is at shopping malls and artificial lakes/ponds in front of Chili's. laugh.gif

Not sure what that big brown field is supposed to be though.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    thats where your soul goes after working at mythic for so long.. it was part of the NDA.. the souls go there to play so you dont kill yourself.. its located behind the mall..there arnt any ducks there tho..
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl: for most of the models exported, I added some light effects in maya by baking the shadows to make the object look much better, sadly it didn't look that way in the engine frown.gif

KDR_11k: The programmers allowed us to shoot the dog in the early stages, but that soon was lost. frown.gif

KMan: The guy funding the project, gave us descriptions on each of the areas, I've never driven into farfax, so I'm not sure how accurate it is wink.gif. I guess it could be any lake. hehe. Adding more trees kills the engine, at the moment the highest tree in the area is 1290 polys and the lowest is 32 polys for background. That big brown field is supposed to be dirty water. LOL. Hopefully, Nvidia can help us with the water shader, some places don't look like water. hehe.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Dead Picture Links.

Scott
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dead Picture Links.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Tested in IE and firefox, no idea why it doesn't show for you frown.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Ah well, if you don't wan the dog shootable OOTB at least add a cheatcode! Or is a suit afraid that shooting dogs will drive up the rating?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! I need to find where this is being held. I'd like to be there. Nice work Lee.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    is that asshole dog that laughs at you when you miss in this, because i sure hope so.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I was just thinking the same thing DH.
    poly107.gif Bang!

Ducks fly away from the winter season don't they?

Otherwise they look great i agree the areas are lacking with detail. Fairfax, Virginia has a lot of space maybe some other animals more green?! If these have been mentioned already i appologize for my quick reply without reading the rest of the thread...

Good work over all,
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX: heheh thanks smile.gif its on sept 28th, in downtown raleigh. http://www.igda.org/nctriangle.

DH_ : there are some funny one liners that the other hunters make. for example "You should of taken up fishing!" when u miss a duck.

$!nz: I'm not a hunter hehe. I only shoot humanoids online. hehe. So i have no idea about locations, I only make the art based on the info provided. The levels need to be roughed out, which will happen in what I labeled to the artists as "tweak week - sept 21-26". hehe.

The hud should be completed this week, so i'll post some ingame shots, im working on the dog animations at the moment, took 2 days to rig a dog with the correct skeleton. frown.gif. LOL
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on this dog run cycle all day, i know something is wrong, but I don't know where. I have a some reference footage, but its hard to read where the feet placement is, any suggestions will greatly help. laugh.gif

http://www.lee3dee.com/runCycle.avi
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The dog run cycle needs a lot of work. I dont think your problem lies with foot placement, but rather it lies with timing. The feet snap forward way too fast at one point. And during the rest of it, the dog is almost in slo-mo.

My advice, tweak more. lots more.

Enviros are cool btw.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir: yup, i need alot of practice animating, i know wink.gif

added a skybox to the stuttgart level, and our level designer added the sun in the background.
    stuttgart_new.png

Some evergreens that I created for another level
    oakisland.png