Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

What was I thinking?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Makkon polycounter
Okay....... this is very embarassing. I mean, damn...
Lat night I had a dream that I was modeling this, and I woke up this morning and found it on my hard drive. ooo.gif

I'm hesitating to show this, very much so.

Here it goes...

If you recognize this character and you happen to hate the show, be nice, please.
possibleModel.jpg

I'm feeling as though I'm going to regret this......

Replies

• thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I like the style, although the legs looks very awkward
  • EarthQuake
    Dont know who it is but the model looks cool man.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Who is she? I like her. My crit is the small size of her pants around her ankles looks odd, and her arms look stringy. Give her some biceps. Looks like there's lots of unnecessary edges depending on what you wanted detailed with a texture.
  • KMan
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    I like the interpretation of Kim Possible you've got there. I'm not sure all of that modeled wrinlage will really benefit the model when it comes to animation however.

Isn't she supposed to be a teenager? Her porportions don't really fit with that ideal.
  • Lord Killmore
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Killmore polycounter lvl 18
    hm i didnt have any idea who hat could be till my lil brother said "kim possible " xD

looks ncie man
    hehe change a few parts so it doenst look like her and you wont be embarased anymore xD
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    pedophile. :P

looks good.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    thicken the arms out a little and work backwards from the cartoon design (as if it was a caricature of a real person), to get alikeness of the face. Kim has a olval face, larger eyes and a pretty sharp nose. Cheekbones aren't yet prominent, but they are there.

Scott
  • -=Warhead=-
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    Lmfao dude i can't belive you made kim possible if that is her.. bwuahha
  • Raven
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, I can just see that being a nightmare to 'bone'. Heh wink.gif
    Kinda obvious that there are some others who are fans of the show.

Bit bummed that the Cable company promised to fix my box so we could recieve Disney again and that was like what back in March! Definately know how it feels to go over old work and be like "O-M-G! Did I ever really think THAT was good?"

kim_possible.jpg

just a little show of what Ms Possible looks like for those who don't know. Cute in an Americano-Anim
  • Darksun
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    That looks cool! I like the interperatation.
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I've never seen this show (I swear) but I immediately recognized the character.

You did a nice job modeling the fabric folds but I agree that they are mostly unnecessary, mostly the ones around the groin.

I like the reinterpretation quite a bit, especially the soft anime-ish facial features. You planning to follow through with this?
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    ElysiumGX: Actually, I've seen russian military gear designed like that, and I've seen a few pants in wal-mart with a similar structure. Biceps, maybe. She is a teenage chick...

Kman: oh, thanks for pointing that out. That would be a pain while animating. I also might want to pull the pants up all the way till they actually come in contact with the crotch. Currently they are sagging at least a half a foot, and pants like that would be difficult to run in.

Scott: Alrighty, good ideas there.
    hmm, she's very skinny in the show, you sure I should add more bulk? then again, it is a very stylized show anyway

Raven: Well, it's not really old, just by a few days. The only reason I was shocked was that I can vagely remember making it, so it seemed like a dream (probably late at night or early morning, I tend to go into a zombie like transe around that time). I do recall the pants, though.
    Remake? gasp!
    Aside from clothing references, I would also require some teenage figure and facial reference as well. Time for some google...
    Cartoon shaded? Nah, I guess I was going for more of a realistic approach. Cel-shading would kill it.

Everyone else: Thanks for being nice, guys. I was afraid I would get mocked for a bit there. Also thanks for the input and the critique, they do help.

Side note: If anyone happens to find a face ref or clothing ref that I could use, don't hesitate to post. I've been searching google for a bit, and I havn't found much besides army gear and creepy fan art. :P paintovers would be cool too. (hint hint) laugh.gif
  • Dude
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude polycounter lvl 18
    Her arms look really thin, and where her wrist meets her arm just looks a little wonky. I do like tho, so keep it up.
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    don't worry makkon everyone has a guilty pleasure they deny about

i want to model the fucking hot green ranger
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Guilty pleasure? I think mine's more of an unhealthy obsession.
    Oh, and you ought to model the green ranger. It would look nice.

Updates:
    -Fixed the pants
    -gave her biceps (you'd have to view them from the top, biceps don't bulge horizontaly)
    -totaly screwed up her face, currently regreting not backing up file.
    -overall cleaned up mesh

Model shot: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/Makkon/possibleModel8-14-05.jpg
    Face shot: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/Makkon/possibleModelface8-14-05.jpg

Here's a pintover of what I want to do with the face. Lower the eyes, make them smaller, slightly longer face, more defined nose, add eyebrows.

possiblefacepaintover.jpg

:P
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, but after seeing the face close-ups, I'd recommend either making her eyes bigger, or making her head narrower (just bring in the sides of the head near the ears).
    Oh, and those ears look pretty tiny too!
    Minor things though.
    Nice work so far.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    makkonz!!!!
    redhats are hot. readheads too, but this head is off so not so hot.
    but your drawings are so nice!
    i dont understand frown.gif

anyways lets look at the pointover YOU made. your error lies in the narrow neck. climb up her.. whats-it-called ah sternomastoid muscle that connects there behind the ear. doesnt quiet fit, doesnt it? the neck and facial features suggest small head. the jaw and overall skull suggest big. thats why u overpainted her facial things so small in proportion.
    so you have been trying to unconciously compensate on the width issue of her face by making her eye-proportion smaller (5 eyes in width, roughly). anyways, you can never get out of it. you must fix her structure.

a lame paintover, but youll get the point im sure.
    what i did was wrong tho because i narrowed her skull to fit her facial features and neck, rather than the other way around -- which would remain true to the body proportions. but anyways ye, you get the point smile.gif
    love ya!

makkonz.jpg
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Ohhhh, I think I see what you mean.

I should narrow the skull/enlargen the eyes (five eyes wide), fix the thickness of the neck, give her a smaller jawline as well, and move the back of the jaw foward so the sternocleadomastoid muscle can fit in there without having to bend around the jaw. Guess I should fix up the shape of the eyes too. Man, I suck at faces... I should use ref much more often. :P I think I'll have to put a skull in there to keep the facial proportions out of wack.
    Thanks, Shotgun, I'll take care of that.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    five eyes wide definately,. Also narrow the face below the cheek bones a little, she's supposedly 15-16, and as such would be skinny and narrowed. especially if she's an athletic girl. The belt in the cartoon looks like a Army Catridge Belt, with a Drim magazine Pouch for a thompson on it. But you can probably do soemthing modern.

Slightly fuller lips.

Scott
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    well.. ye ref is good but really i would always say its best to visual and construct in your head. ref can be oftne misleading. use it to contruct in your head, not directly on the model. and in all time keep things in proportion to the rest of the model, dont get lost with the details. the shape of the eye and the curve on the nostrils and fullness of the lips is irrelevant, it comes at the end.

makkonz!!!!! keep posting!!
    and drawing too smile.gif
    love~~
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Ah, thanks guys, you've been a real help. smile.gif
    kay, I think I got the head fixed for the most part
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/Makkon/possibleModelface8-19-05.jpg
    let me know if it needs any more changes
  • Sean McBride
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    haha awesome makkon. Looks great!

Can't wait for ron-stopabble and ruffas! wink.gif

:X I've said to much!
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Hmm, not a bad Idea. Maybe laugh.gif
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    And now for Beethoven's Fith:

done done done DONE
    done done done DONE

PosibleTexture8-22-05.jpg

Details:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/Makkon/PosibleTexturepantsdetail8-22-05.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/Makkon/PosibleTextureFacedetail8-22-05.jpg

What should I do with her next? Normal map? Put her into a game? Unless there are any changes left to do...
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff man, im happy you didnt listen to the first few crits about the way the pants looked, they are GREAT. Sometimes having a few bad crits about something and staying on course with your idea without paying any attention to silliness actually pays at the end.

i hope you understood what i meant. great style
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    man turned out really nice, depending on what you're aiming for i'd like to see the chin defined a little more with shading since you painted in some shading on her torso. Awesome though, really like the texturing on the cargos!
  • Crash
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    i think the flesh could use some work. especially around the belly area. the top could use some material texture too. atm the pants seem to be a whole different style then the rest of the textures.
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    I like this, you modeled and textured it towards realism but still stayed true to the original character design roots. I think you can call this a job well done laugh.gif.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    now go draw eh
    and dont forget to post! smile.gif
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    very nicely done, makkon, just saw this thread for the first time today. i've seen the character enough to appreciate the synthesis smile.gif
  • IceWolve
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Damn that looks good.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I love everything, this is right down my street.

everything except for the bottom of the trousers. Makes her look like a middle aged woman. what would they look like if not tapered?

The ones on the animated character look like they are tucked into her boots or tied in, with lots of baggyness. Your ones sort of look like the jeans have been altered at the seam to taper in, granny pants.
  • EarthQuake
    Thats looking fantastic makk.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    nice nice nice. love it. her face is excellent.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Hey, I've been gone for a very long time without internet and borked by school. Howdy! Time for an update.

I think it's time I work on getting kim into HL2.
    I've made quite a few changes:

-Fixed her face up to look more like her
    -Made her pants a bit more practical
    -Fixed some major proportions on her body
    -Improved the textures and gave her a sweater for some reason

KimPossible.jpg
    KimmyDetailfacesmall.jpg

Now I'm struggling on getteing her into hl2, seems that everything I try just flat out doesn't work. I tried Palmer's tut, cannonfodder's programs, XSI, everything.... non of them work.

Is this model just completely usless or what?

I also finished that mummified zombie thingy, but I won't rereserect that thread.
    mummy001.jpg

What should I do to get this pair in hl2?
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    makkonz!!!!
    i missed your avatar tongue.gif

not too shabby,
    not too shabby at all
    keep working on your anatomy, you're doing a great job,
    just wanted to say hi really blush.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Wheres the flats makk?
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Hey shotgun! Glad you like it, you helped an imense amount too!

oh, I'll give you the wire frame while I'm at it. laugh.gif
    KimmyFlats.jpg