Home General Discussion

If you had the choice to remake 1 old school game.

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    R.C. Pro-Am

[/ QUOTE ]

*high fives Oxynary*

that and Super Off Road. wouldn't be too hard actually. hmmm...
    *adds to list*

*runs quickly to wash hands*
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I couldn't narrow it down to 1. It's like picking 1 film; I couldnt congratulate the 1 without feeling the weight of insulting the many that I respect.

In all seriousness, there were so many great games of yesteryear that I loved intently and that sculpted my preferences subconsciously for the last 26 years that to pick 1 would be to do a disservice to the many others I would need to reject.

More to the point, I don't think remakes are worth the effort most of the time, its more about cashing in on the name than revisiting what was golden to any 1 person or collective entity originally.

I've read that its better to die at the hands of a lover than a stranger, but when it comes to someone trying to remake a game they made in the past thats a very flawed rule as most of us misunderstand why others liked our creations.

So when it's a stranger recreating a game, they are but attempting to recreate their perspective on another persons vision and thats not the same thing so I think its fairer to pay respect to the past and give your creation its own identity and simply admit where from your inspiration sprang from.

Better to choose that route than join in on the remake bandwagon.

r.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Vette!
    (ironically enough i drive an 86 corvette now...)

[ QUOTE ]
    A highly underrated racing game, Vette! features great graphics, camera angle options, and multiplayer. It was, in fact, one of the first racing games to offer multiplayer racing via modem, which is implemented quite successfully despite inherent lags that were common in older modems.
    The goal of the game, as the name suggests, is to race your corvette against another human or computer player through an accurate reproduction of San Francisco, complete with discernible landmarks such as the Golden Gate bridge. You can choose between store models (stock or ZR1), or a tricked-up 'vette (twin turbo or "sledgehammer"). The game includes an excellent on-screen map display from which you can choose the best route -- there are multiple ways to reach the finish line. You can also switch between views, including left, right, rearview mirror, with or without the dashboard, helicopter chase cam, or a combination of these. Definitely one of the most fun street racing games ever made, with enough realism to satisfy die-hard racers and a gentle learning curve and great graphics to keep beginners hooked.

[/ QUOTE ]

in a sense the game was like a precursor to gta... just without the stealing other vehicles.
    if the cops in the game saw you, or you ran over a pedestrian (yes you could do this), they'd chase after you. you could go to jail if your infraction was serious enough (i.e. vehicular manslaughter), or they would give you a ticket (and there was even an option to try and talk your way out of the ticket with excuses like "my wife's having a baby"). they free roaming capability of the game made it absolutely awesome, especially for it's day. And the fact that it was based in the bay area made it even more fun (for me!).
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    probably BAD DUDES. it's such a silly, rather middle of the road example of the genre at the time... redoing it would mean redefining and recontextualizing the titular BAD DUDES (though keeping their character designs intact, obviously) into a modern video game context yet keeping much of the straightforward, beat-em-up nature of the gameplay. besides, who doesn't still want to be BAD? get your fingerless gloves, black tanktops and tight white jeans, brother.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    probably BAD DUDES. it's such a silly, rather middle of the road example of the genre at the time... redoing it would mean redefining and recontextualizing the titular BAD DUDES (though keeping their character designs intact, obviously) into a modern video game context yet keeping much of the straightforward, beat-em-up nature of the gameplay. besides, who doesn't still want to be BAD? get your fingerless gloves, black tanktops and tight white jeans, brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

but reagan died so the ninjas couldnt kidnap him again
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    There's Bush instead

but apply UK's wierd "Ninja" censorship laws on the intro briefing and we have a winner!

[/political]
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    Laser Squad - the original and best Spectrum version. It's been remade before, but the remakes have never captured the atmosphere & tension of the original.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Legend of Kyrandia: It would look even more awesome with the cool lighting effects available today.
    and more on the action side it would be Another World
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Kid Icarus. It just seemed magical to me at the time, I'd want to be really careful with the character design though.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    Disney's Aladdin 2D platform game. I have played that way too much. A 3D version of it would maybe resemble Prince of Persia too much though.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I would have to say Goonies 2.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There's Bush instead

but apply UK's wierd "Ninja" censorship laws on the intro briefing and we have a winner!

[/political]

[/ QUOTE ]

if bush were kidnapped i doubt it would have anything to do with ninjas, they'd replace ninjas with like hezbollah or something
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    what weird UK ninja censorship laws?
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Bouderdash

And that one for the NES where you control a tank that can run up walls and stuff. It starts out where you chase after your pet frog...
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    what weird UK ninja censorship laws?

[/ QUOTE ]

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

apply this to Bad Dudes' NES intro (featuring Bush at the end):

dudeshero.png
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bouderdash

And that one for the NES where you control a tank that can run up walls and stuff. It starts out where you chase after your pet frog...

[/ QUOTE ]

Blaster Master. I'd go for that one too. I loved jumping around in that tank just to watch the suspention and wheels turn.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TMNT was changed to TMhT because it was felt most people didn't know what a ninja was, not hrough any censorship. i have TMNT graphic novels and i've seen plenty of the newer merchandise with TMNT on not 'hero'. everyone is assumed to know what a ninja is now. the thing that WAS censored was michaleangelo's use of nunchuks as they're an illegal weapon in the UK.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Syndicate....or Syndicate Wars
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    R.P.M. Racing / Rock N' Roll Racing (both for SNES)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Syndicate....or Syndicate Wars

[/ QUOTE ]
    That game kick-started my RTS addictions! laugh.gif

I'd also like either BoulderDash or Dig Dug smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Sundance: Then what did Mike fight with? Hotdog buns?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Legend of Kyrandia: It would look even more awesome with the cool lighting effects available today.
    and more on the action side it would be Another World

[/ QUOTE ]

cripes.. i remember the Kyrandia series.. fun stuff!
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR, he was either seen holding them, but not using them or he was simply editted out of fight scenes. on the UK orginated TMHT merchandise, he didn't have any weapons. he just posed with his fists clenched.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Golden Axe and Nights into Dream's IPs were up for sale a while back. I dare say its only a matter of time before we see remakes of both.

Personally I'd like to have a couple of classic IPs, One Must Fall and Altered Beast confiscated from the inept teams who purchased them and have them rebuilt in the fashion they truly deserve.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Danr: I hear you man, I hear you frown.gif

Sensible World of Soccer is screaming for a remake, even if it's just web based or for the DS/PSP- it did something that few footy games have managed to do, which is merge the 2 ends of the football game spectrum and get a football action game which actually had management features. I would keep the graphics 2d but enable slight zooming capabilities, along with net/wifi play. That for me would be heaven wink.gif

Another game would be Cannon Fodder, purely because it was fun and was one of the first games I played where I cared about the little fellas I was controlling.

And yes, I am a bit of a sensible fanboy :P
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Personally I'd like to have a couple of classic IPs, One Must Fall and Altered Beast confiscated from the inept teams who purchased them and have them rebuilt in the fashion they truly deserve.

[/ QUOTE ]

But OMF:BG is by the same Digital Diversions team that did OMF:2097. :S
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Apparently Epic needs to run the franchise tongue.gif.

Sundance: He did have the nunchucks in the TMHT arcade game, however (not that I cared, I always played as Don).
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    COMIX ZONE

[/ QUOTE ]
    ooh how did I forget that one, and again from SEGA, Bug Too! is a title I would like to remake also.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    haha legends of kyrandia.. that clown scared the heeby jeebies out of me! tongue.gif

id like to see a remake of interplay's crusader: no regret /no remorse. it was so fun.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    wrecking crew!!
    another workd would be cool too. or a killingpeople style mario brothers tongue.gif
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I still love OMF 2097, even now. It's truly great!
    I can't believe how badly they mangled and butchered it for the horrific 3d version... battlegrounds... ugh.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Oh! How about A Boy & His Blob?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Foehammer and Rageunleashed: Syndicate/Syndicate Wars.

Infact I think an FPS squad type game of syndicate could be very cool smile.gif
  • SystemKrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SystemKrash polycounter lvl 18
    It would have to be either Golden Axe or Commander Keen grin.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    But OMF:BG is by the same Digital Diversions team that did OMF:2097. :S

[/ QUOTE ]Hm, really? Ah well, I don't think anyone is going to argue that Altered Beast needs to be confiscated from the team who got thier grubby mits on it, with force if necessary, and then have the IP handed to a team that will treat it right.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    This is a hard decision. Though I would love to see a new Dungeon Keeper. I know it's not too old, but it's still a classic to me!

Though as a far as real classics go, it'd be fun If Bungie dropped that Halo shit and made a new Marathon game.

As far as real old school goes? Joust, I was so bummed when the joust 3d site stopped updateing, I was looking foward to that so much.