Home General Discussion

Batman begins is here,yay no nipples on his suit

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Aww man, it'd rock in IMAX! Go see it! Then bring the gigantic screen to me...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yeah my older brother caught in on an IMAX screen the first time, the bastard smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There are a grand total of about 2 IMAX screens in the UK, I think, and none of them are remotely near me... so I think that's out the window (if they're even showing it there)... damn!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    gauss - lots of chicago, lots of london too ... my girlfriend was keen to point out that the restaurant where bruce went swimming was one she'd been to at Canary Wharf ...

Really good. I mean, really fucking good. Gritty as hell, didn't seem at all like a comic book ... which might have been a problem some years ago, but actually was really refreshing after the last two films. The last film killed the comic book character on the big screen, made it a laughing stock ... so backtrack, knock it over, fuck it in the face, make it scream with fire and bile ... top stuff.

Actually getting an actor to play batman was a major coup, as was getting a filmmaker to direct it ... not a jot of apparent CG or slo-mo or any other lazy action-film motifs, it let the characters and atmosphere do the talking ... really impressive.

SPOOYLER

The only thing that confused me was the inistence in trying to segue into the 1989 film at the end, when it had already spent 2 hours contradicting it ... hey ho. Maybe Batman Begins 2 (which i hope upon hope will come about) will fuck about with the myhos-on-film even more, bring back the Joker, kill him again, bollocks to burton, bollocks to the 90s, i really hope so. YEAH!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    loved it.. althogh i was dissapointed to hear Lachy Hulme is playing joker.. would much rather see jake busey.. or poop, he would make an awesome joker..
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    dark horizons had a poll which pick mark 'luke skywalker' hamill for the joker as he's the voice in the animated series...

joker will NOT die in batman continues. nolan says 2 will be about bats and harvey dent going after joker, and that the THIRD movie will see joker on trial and he does the acid attack on dent, turning him into two-face. he said that killing joker in the '89 movie was a mistake.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    poor mop, there's an imax in manchester and one in bradford, both are showing batman, and both are so temptingly close smile.gif
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    danr, batman begins is actually not connected with the other 4 movies. I believe they're trying to start over, since the last movies left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    "Following Insomnia, his next project was going to be a Howard Hughes biopic starring Jim Carrey. Nolan had the screenplay written (calling it "one of the best things I've ever written"), but once it became apparent Martin Scorsese was making his own Hughes biopic The Aviator (2004), Nolan reluctantly tabled his script and took up directing Batman Begins (2005)."

thank goodness for THAT! arguably the best batman film(s) might never have been made, and we'd be saddled with another biopic. don't get me wrong, i'm sure Nolan would have made it interesting (interesting choice of casting as well), but somehow i really care very little about huge biography pictures about historical figures. especially from someone like scorses... i'll watch any movie of his that involves new york (gangs of new york was borderline, a little too 'sprawling historical epic'). so thank you, scorses, for helping ensure Nolan got on board with Batman smile.gif
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    easily best comic movie ever, and besides that a damn good movie in general, i love it when movies like this come out, and prove that you CAN make actual GOOD movies like this, no idea how many times i've heard "daredevil was good for what it was" "vanhelsing was jsut a popcorn action movie, and it was good for a popcorn action movie"

it is completely possible to make really awesome superhero / mindless action movies, and this proves it

only complaint i have, is that bale makes funny faces when he talks, it wigs me out
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    ok my issue with this was that his face looked REALLY fat inside his cowl, like laughably sometimes.

other than that, good movie.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it in all its IMAX glory. Other than this woman next to me who laughed or awed at every single emotional cue. Enjoyed it immensely.

I agree with people who talk about the frantic fighting style. But I consider this directing growing pains.

I did also notice the editing was competent, but a few seconds too fast. Some of the characters finished their lines and BAM next to the next view or scene without giving the audience enough time to visually "finish". Maybe the editor had to go this route because of length constraints?

The best Batman movie that leaves the others sulking in the back.

Edit
    SPOILER QUESTION:
    oh one question: What happened to Ras al gul ? Did I miss something? Did he escape? I knew he was immortal, but since he was the master mind, and we didnt see a confrontation with him..
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Finally found some time to see this. Pretty much just echo all the positive comments said. Gary Oldman was just, awesome. I don't think I'd be mad if he was in every movie I watched. One of the best character actors around. Great flick and I hope it really catapults Nolan as a director.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Edit
    SPOILER QUESTION:
    oh one question: What happened to Ras al gul ? Did I miss something? Did he escape? I knew he was immortal, but since he was the master mind, and we didnt see a confrontation with him..

[/ QUOTE ]
    um he died on the train
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was his servant. That and Ras was immortal. Or did I miss something in the womans antics?
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=batmanbegins.htm

I didn't realize that the movie cost 150 million to make. All i know is that there be a part 2 (or would that be 6?)....
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    That was his servant. That and Ras was immortal. Or did I miss something in the womans antics?

[/ QUOTE ]

um no, that was ras. the asian fellow was simply a decoy, a symbol. ras was the leader of the stealth ninja people, and qui-gon was the leadingest ninja of them all.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary: Someone wasn't paying attention at Bruce's birthday party, and I think that someone was you smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, try sitting next to the happy happy joy joy lady next to you Mop, and see how good your attention span is.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    batman begins = batman wins.

Batman is finally scary instead of clooney.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    seen it. loved it. can't wait for more. bale is now the best batman, and no surprise since he's already one of my favorite actors. he has reinvented the hero and, along with scarecrow, delivered lines perfectly with great facial expressions. "the bat..man!". i was shocked and impressed with scarecrow's character. that's acting. movies achieve success with actors, not celebrities. the worst part of the movie was the annoying kid across from me, and her parents' cellphone. watching the new batmobile tear through the city and rooftops made me feel like a kid again. so much of it was fiction, but felt so real. Excellent movie. Go DC!
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ra's al ghul was/is not immortal. there were no lazarus pits after all...
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    They didn't mention them specifically, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. tongue.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, from what i read during production, the idea was that he wasn't immortal.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    might be immortal,i recall him saying we were the ones who sacked rome,but could also mean we as an orginization
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that was my take.

they've greenlit a sequel YAY!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    "I won't kill you, but that doesn't mean I have to save you."

That was the flaw in the philosophy of Jean Paul Valley, and not something Bruce Wayne believed. Otherwise, great film.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Qui gon takes pupil,pupil turns on him and destroys good orginization

Ras A gul takes pupil,pupil turn on him and destroys evil roginization