Home General Discussion

Batman begins is here,yay no nipples on his suit

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Glad theyve made a good batman flick again, that last one was a steaming pile of crap,i think its one os the first movies ive demanded my money back. Alisha Silverstone as batgirl man who thought of that?

anyway the new one is getting great reviews and hopefully it will be good enough to make me forget that waste of time they called batman from a few years ago

Replies

• pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Just the last one was crap ?? I think they were all crap except #1 ...I hope this one is good also . Im going to see it tommorow so i'll report back .
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    well what saved the previous to that one from being utter crap was jim carrey as the riddler,which was the only character in that f ilm which was like the comic book character.

wish i could say the same for 2 face, that must have been some chemical if it turned him from a black guy from the first two flicks to an old whire guy in the 3rd
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

wish i could say the same for 2 face, that must have been some chemical if it turned him from a black guy from the first two flicks to an old whire guy in the 3rd

[/ QUOTE ]

Jacksonite, deadly stuff.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    you know, I thought the movie looked good up until I saw the bat mobile. The bat mobile should look sleak and streamlined. Not like a fucking tank... But I'll probably still give it a chance.
  • 46th Avenue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    46th Avenue polycounter lvl 18
    yea the bat mobile does look kinda bulky but i think they did that to be different from the other movies. There is a bunch of really good actors in it like Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman as well as others. That doesn't mean necessarily mean that the movie will be good, it depends on the script and director but at least we know the acting will be good.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_begins/

82% fresh on rotten tomatoes so far,as for the batmobile,in frank millers dark knight returns he drove a bat tank

http://members.chello.at/peterhengl/files/dkr-batmobile.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the batmobile is the one thing I'm not sure about. The rest looks to be kickass. I guess the batmobile will probably fit in ok, so I won't be too worried about it.

And yes, the "batmobile" in Dark Knight Returns was just utterly ridiculous.
  • Arco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    I am really lookin forward to it. ever since I saw a pic of the scarecrow as just a guy with a sack on his head. I thought... NUTS!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Everything in the movie is 'real'. There isn't much in terms of special effects in this one (thank god). His suite is made of real 'bullet stopping' materials, and the car was actually produced (I think 8 times or something). And when it 'jumps' in the movie, its actually jumping.

I think the biggest CG part of the movie is the actual bats.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    The Batmobile is supposed to be first-generation, like everything else in the movie. So it would start off as a military vehicle, and get more streamlined over the next few movies.

Frank the Avenger
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    it was freaking awesome,didnt feel like a comic movie or or anything
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    best comic book movie yet. It's 10 different kinds of awesome.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    there were five different batmobiles built at a cost of $1million each.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow... just... wow...

this was everything I love about Batman.

Going to go see it again tonight.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
  • Filler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filler polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to go see this later today. Hopefuly its as good as you all say... :P
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    best comic book movie yet. It's 10 different kinds of awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Sin City then?
  • KaosNKorruption
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaosNKorruption polycounter lvl 18
    kick ass! five thumbs up!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    sin city was good but jessica alba talked rodriguez outta the nude scenes

what makes this movie so good, is that it tells the story of how bruce wayne became batman.

and by that i mean its not bam parents murdured and 10 years later i have batcave and all this wacky gear

no it went showed very well the events which lead him to finally decide to become batman,training,guilt,desire for vengence to finally becoming batman and getting all the 1337 gear

all of the acting was top notch,the story was paced well,a good bit went into bruce wayne character development, no campy "holey rusted metal type of dialog" and its sacralige,but bale made a better bruce wayne then micheal keaten, he looked acted like a rich playboy but he had a darkside look too him too

if it wasnt a comic this would be a good dramatic film by itself
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Just got back from it. I really enjoyed it. As a story in particular it impressed me , it;s a great restart to the franchise with the right guy in the part.

It was fun and it was dark. The only this I was disapointed by was some of the more hectic fight scenes are let down by overly chaotic direction that makes it impossible to get a proper overview of what is happening, who is doing what.

In Batman1 for instance, as a henchman backflips and flashs his twin swords whilst advancing upon the batman, we are able to appreciate and revel in the glory of the combatants and be impressed by their abilities.
    There are no scenes like that in Batman begins, its always a case of 'who hit who, whats happening now, was that batman that was hit, did he hit them? oh its over, batman won'.

This was my complaint about Batman 3 and 4 also, but batman begins thankfully has great storytelling , characters, scripts and settings. Its a really topnotch film that i would recommend to anyone.

r.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Superb movie !!! Best comic film ever by far . I can't say enough i'll be going to see it probebly 1-2 more times then DVD ...man everything was so damn good !!! The batmobile was 10,000x better then the other ones ..believable is the key to this movie ..ha ha I love it Batman is a Ninga !!
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I really enjoyed this one. They really could have made a whole movie based on how Bruce Wayne became Batman. They spent a lot of time covering the subject in this movie, but I still feel the material went by so quickly; no slow moments to digest it all.

I was impressed by how dark they managed to make it, given a PG-13 rating.

Batmobile rules, but I think they need to work on making a more flexible suit for batman; he still has to turn his whole body to look to the side. smile.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the first Keaton one only because it was the first serious treatment of the Batman on film. Still not detective enough though. The second was okay. Never liked Keaton but okay. The other two, while i thought the choices for Batman were better, the movies were worse and fell into the TV series trap.

Ever since the Spiderman movies (my 2nd fav character) came out i've been waiting for this. Drooling.

If somebody like this, can enjoy Daredevil even it it has Ben Affleck in it, overlook the casting for the actual movie and performance,

[ QUOTE ]
    Just got back from it. I really enjoyed it. As a story in particular it impressed me , it;s a great restart to the franchise with the right guy in the part.
    r.

[/ QUOTE ]

then I feel safe that I will like my favorite character in a movie finally laugh.gif
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seeing it in a few hours.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    just got back from it and i'm still smiling. great ensemble cast, and i'm very relieved to find that mr. nolan can make an amazingly vital, even authoritative batman film without losing his directorial voice. that's a tough act. tougher still is to communicate such a huge load of truisms as one can expect from superhero films and not come off as completely stilted... and batman begins not only manages, but makes for riveting, character-driven cinema... and again, a great batman movie besides. it's taken some of the best elements of previous batman lore and made them surprisingly real and believable, that's what got me.

the choice to forego a title card until the very end of the film, a la the animated series for instance. the little touches as well as the big stuff, it's all here. all in keeping with the batman mythos and legacy and yet at the same time recontextualizing many of the parts. i didn't think i could sit through yet another take on batman's origins, but in this movie you are far from simply waiting for the black suit to get put on.

anyhow, it's not like any of you aren't going to see it. magnificent!

ror: shakeycam close-in fight stuff was a bit of a problem i agree, but i think that has been and will continue to be a curious feature of the current era of filmmaking. so many current action films of the past few years have abused it in much the same fashion and i suspect it will continue for some time. so much of an emphasis on the subjective 'feel' of combat does give us a... well, subjective feel of the character's state, but very much at the expense of visual clarity. it'll be interesting when filmmakers get off of it and find their next pet device--pray it isn't worse smile.gif
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    truly an awesome ass film. cant say ive seen anything better in the theaters in the last few months. Too good. anyone know if they are thinking of redoing the other ones or was the end a segue into the allready prexisting ones. Either way, a must see
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    animatr: oh, it is most definitely a 'reboot' of the series... if this one performs well in the box office (and there's no reason it shouldn't) then hopefully we'll see some more in this series smile.gif
  • Filler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filler polycounter lvl 18
    Man that was amazing. It was defenetly worth the money. I hope they do re-create the others...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    and the joker is next!
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Fucking awesome. I was really damn impressed at the interaction between Batman and Gordon, a really nice exploration of how their relationship started. The best part was Gordon's speech about 'escalation' at the end. It shows he can tell that Batman is going to create supervillians, even if Batman is good for the city. Fucking awesome.

Also, Gary Oldman was FANTASTIC as Gordon. I was really impressed with his performance, it was perfect.

Frank the Avenger
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I had typed a lot out, but all that really needs saying is... "bring on batman continues"
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just got back from seeing it. Great movie. Possibly the best Batman movie yet ... if not, it's pretty damn close.
    The "look" of everything from the characters to the locations was excellent. The acting was very good too, in general ... good pace, good script, nice effects (the trippy stuff was cool!).

I thought it was good that, although it's not really a very long movie, it felt much longer, without actually dragging on... they managed to cram a lot of stuff into the time (Alien vs. Predator take note - that one felt like it was 20 minutes long, even though it was 5 times that).

Loved the scene where he hoisted Fleiss (spelling?) up in the alley and yelled at him!

My only musing is... what about the 70% water that human beings consist of? :P
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i thought it was fucking amazing. The direction was great, really made Batman out to be an Urban Legend.... i read they were going to try this with Spawn as well, but not to go OT.

One can pray that they'll release a new Superman movie in the next year, then by the time the Superman hype kicks back in, come out with a 'Dark Knight Returns' film. The only reason why i could see them not going into the DK1/2 storylines would be because of his 'bat clan' he creates in those books. Would be an ironic twist though. who knows.

i fucking loved it, and i am seeing it again.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the new superman movie is out next summmer. not that i care, cos i've gone off big blue since i was a kid. batman is the only DC character i like these days.

it's freaking brill. some nice giggles in amongst the heavy dark drama. i liked the bit where [spoilers]

earle got the boot near the end

[/spolier]
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    something else i particularly liked is the prominent use of Chicago in the film--I live a few hours south of the city and have spent a fair amount of time in it, and for anyone who's been in Chicago, the movie is that much more believable. not that burton's highly formal design for gotham city was bad, but this movie makes everything amazingly believable. like when batman comes to talk to gordon at his home--that is no new york-style fire escape, that is a wooden back stairwell quite common to Chicago. The chase sequence of course makes good use of Wacker drive. it all just heightened the experience for me.

and i'm pretty sure this is the first time i've really felt like i can really sympathize with batman's character, that i've been privy to the major steps in his life and consequently, when fighting, i'm actually a little concerned that he might get whupped up on. it's a lot more vulnerable, personal portrait of the man... especially the wrenching duality of his life as the playboy Bruce Wayne and his true identity as batman, which has never quite been crystalized as well as it was in the scene where he is leaving the hotel with his floozies in tow and runs into Katie Holmes' character. wonderful stuff--will definitely see it again smile.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I loved it true! Great movie, I cant wait for the next. Best part for me was something along the lines of.. ".. This one guy has commited a double homicide etc.. etc.. He has a flare for theatrics... leaves a calling card.." I clapped at that point I was soooo pumped.

Scarecrow guy was awesome.. I wish we got to know him better. smile.gif

One of the few things i was disapointed about was.. Man..!! I was dying to hear a really slow and dark version Elfmanns Batman theme song sneak somewhere into the soundtrack. That would have topped it off and given me chills.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I had to piss when the movie started, but after the first fight sceen i forgot all about my needs for urination. That was the best batman movie i have ever seen. Hell the best comic movie. The scarecrow was perfetly done, everyone wanted him to be less of a pansy, but thats what he is, he only becomes a diffrent person when hes wearing the mask. I want more, and i want it soon! The car, before i saw the movie i hated it, but when i saw it in action i loved it!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    FUCK YEAH!!!

is all I have to say.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I second that. Very well done. Seeing as it's the origins movie, I liked how unrefined and noobish his actions were as he went about jumping and flying around the city. All the other movies gave him amazingly super chromed weapons and gear that he used like a pro, but this movie really humbled the fact that he was just a dude struggling to get across rooftops and fight people and he got hurt a lot in the process. It was more a human approach and less like a special effects nightmare that the others (esp 3 and 4) were. Best comic hero movie ever.
  • MTE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MTE polycounter lvl 18
    Been there, done that, bought the action figure

..he doesn't articulate enough.

Brilliant film. It's probably the first film I've read all the news about from pre-production onward and it was well worth the wait. I've always loved Batman and now, I simply have another reason.

Christian Bale is good.
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    Always said it would be great (I have faith in Chris Bale, my favourite actor). That said, I found Cillian Murphy great as the Scarecrow but we should've known what really happened to him. I like that he didn't get killed off like all the villains in other movies, refreshing IMO.

I think in an extended version we'll see Scarecrow at least once more simply because not finishing substorylines (Scarecrow) is a big nono I've been teached in my scripthours at my digital film studies. And I doubt such guys would make that kind of errors.

Katie Holmes sucked though, totally unneeded actually. That said i can't wait for Lachy Hulme as Joker, he totally looks the part (nose, strong septum, big mouth). Finally they take actors and not just celebs.
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, BB was awesome. Alfed was unbelievable! Michael cain was outstanding. As was Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson.. heck, everybody rocked.
    The scenes with the Scarecrow were a perfect way to tie in the miller-esque element to the Batman Mythos. Wow, need to see again!
    @Mit
    I think Holmes' Character was a good way to tie Bruce back to his roots. The fact that he had a connection with her (all about Justice) and a connection with Neeson (vengence & power) was a good way to blance him into the perfect Batman model.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've been thinking about this and want to articulate more on what i liked;

the more growly, snarly voice batman has. keaton did rasp a bit, but kilmer and clooney sounded normal. W..T..F..?

the fact that the gadgets are all more reality based. no chance of a repeat of B&R's stupid pop-out iceskates.

the lack of a)nipples, b)neon-lighting and c)completely gratuitous shots of his ass in the tight rubber as he puts the suit on.

the conversations with gordon and the fact that gordon is more integral to the story. after the 1989 one his role got smaller and less important.

the whole ninja angle and the disappearing mid-conversation. irked me no end not to have that in the old movies afer seeing it in the comics.

a decent alfred who isn't nearing doddery dotage. no offence michael gough, but you look 80 and cain looks like he's still in his 50s.

i also liked the character cameo of mr Zsazz, the thug who gets put in arkham, in the comics he's a minor villain who's a serial killer that scars his his body with scratch-marks for each kill. real sicko.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    my favorite

(SPOILERS)

wa that it showed bruce wayne going though all the things someoneone with murdured families go through guilt,anger and my favorite was when he contemplated killing his parents killers, he didnt just have his parents murdured then bam im gonna go put on a suit and stop bad guys.
  • LegionaireJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LegionaireJoe polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it last night, loved every bit of it. Although anyone else with contacts have the problem with one of your eyes becoming incredibly irritated, but only during good movies?

Gah, I hate that.

Anyway, can't wait for more Batman movies from this rekindling of one of (if not my favorite) comic book characters.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it...just got back. Real COOL! This is a much more digestable approach for me. I don't enjoy the campy, corny other versions....nearly as much. I also agree that the fight scenes needed some more defined scenes....not all a bunch of blurry close in action, ya know? Goo see it soon, eh?
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I just got back from seeing it. Great new take on the ol Batman. Very strong cast and the twist near the end was a tad predictable, although definitely necessary.
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    LOVED this movie! LOOOOOVED! Best film I've seen this year, and last year, if not the year before.
  • MTE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MTE polycounter lvl 18
    I don't agree Holmes' character was not needed. She just should have been played by somebody else. Apart from the fact that she's not the best at acting, she just didn't look the part. Too well made up, too clean and too young looking for a downtrodden DA's assistant in dirty grimy Gotham
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    The local IMAX theater is showing it this weekend.. Hmm I guess $11 isnt 2 bad.